PDA

View Full Version : About a show name...

mrsbradbury
May. 6, 2009, 03:33 PM
We own a nice young mare, came with no history and no papers. Her barn name is Twiggy.

I have batted a few names around, and the other day DH, comes to me and says he came up for a name for our beloved Twiggy.:eek: Now, DH likes our horses, he likes going to the shows when we have one ready to do the nice ones; but his involvement usually ends with peppermints, and the hospitality tent.

"Millenium Falcon" okay, I can live with that.

He tells me that the Millenium Falcon is the ship from Star Wars.

My question is... Would using this name be copyright infringement? Has anyone ever heard of a situation where a horse named after a song, a character in a book, or after something in a movie had an issue?

Pirateer
May. 6, 2009, 03:53 PM
Nope, no copyright rules with USEF.
(although I believe the JC does, and I know the AKC does)

dorytuo
May. 6, 2009, 03:57 PM
Twiggy was a super model wasn't she? I'd do some research and come up with a fashion name that goes with that. JMO.

waremares
May. 6, 2009, 04:10 PM
Twiggy sang and danced with Tommy Tune in a Broadway show back in the '80s. The only thing I can remember from the show is My One and Only, but I don't know if it was a song or the name of the play. BTW, she was great in it! Maybe you could find out her character's name...

Alternative Ego
May. 6, 2009, 04:17 PM
That's funny, I was just thinking about Twiggy (the model) this morning and wondering whatever happened to her, with those big fake eyelashes & pixie haircut. I know they've always called her look "The Mod Look", very popular in the 60's. So maybe you can go with a name that reflects that generation? :)

Hunter Mom
May. 6, 2009, 04:21 PM
She was also a judge on America's Next Top Model a couple of seasons ago. I love the idea of something going along with British fashion from the 60s.

Alternative Ego
May. 6, 2009, 04:29 PM
My Generation
Beautiful Stranger (ohhh behave!)
British Invasion
Flower Power
Fashionista
Model For Me
You Better Work (couldn't resist, love RuPaul!)

cleartheoxer
May. 6, 2009, 05:55 PM
I think Millenium Falcon is more for a gelding rather than a mare. I like My One and Only the best so far!

mrsbradbury
May. 6, 2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks so much, we named her Twiggy because she was SO THIN, when she came. and she has legs for miles. Oh... and after Alternative Ego mentioned it, My Twiggy has some outstanding eyelashes.:winkgrin:

I love all the input, and quite like Fashionista (though has anyone heard of one currently competing?)

I will do my reasearch on the broadway play.

Poor DH, I'll have to tell him to save the name for the next one. I had the same feeling about the name for a gelding, but thought it awfully sweet that my husband wanted to name the horse.

hj0519
May. 6, 2009, 10:53 PM
^^ If you do a search on USEF, you can see how many horses have whatever name you're looking at. Did a search for Fashionista and there are three recorded in USEF, so not too many.

mrsbradbury
May. 6, 2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks... I usually search my names with USEF, thanks for taking a peek!
3 isn't too many, we won't be doing anything rated this year; and I'll just make sure they aren't local horses with the same name.

danceronice
May. 6, 2009, 11:48 PM
Millenium Falcon is a registered trademark of Lucasfilm, but I strongly suspect they wouldn't mind you using it. And Han did always call his ship a she.

For a "Twiggy" (why am I thinking I knew a backyard horse called Twiggy? I think that was my pony's dam, actually...) I would try for something with "Mod" in it, because when I think of Twiggy the model I think of the '60s and the mod look...

rdc
May. 7, 2009, 12:46 AM
Twiggy - Millennium Falcon - if it were me I'd split the difference and call her Princess Leia. Or Queen Amidala I suppose, but I'm a devotee of the original series :)

2DaPoint
May. 7, 2009, 07:13 AM
Millenium Falcon is definitely too masculine!
KD

mrsbradbury
May. 7, 2009, 08:23 AM
Millenium Falcon is a registered trademark of Lucasfilm, but I strongly suspect they wouldn't mind you using it. And Han did always call his ship a she. ...

This is the direction I was getting in my OP.

I did some reading through the official Twiggy website lest night, and nothing official jumped out at me. Yes, I agree that Millenium Falcon is quite a masculine name, DH says it's because our mare is big and round like the ship.:lol:

When DH first said Millenium Falcon, I must have misheard, because I thought he said Millenium Starship.

Thanks for all the input so far.