PDA

View Full Version : Schooling Helmet vs. Show Helmet

gasrgoose
May. 6, 2009, 02:58 PM
Do you have a separate helmet for schooling versus showing?

My daughter got a new Charles Owen GR8 because she liked the look better. But she still uses her old helmet for schooling at the barn. After reading the older threads on helmets I realized the helmet she schools in has probably exceeded its life (to many falls and its 3 years old). So, I thought about getting another less expensive helmet for her to wear for schooling. Thoughts?

Hunter Mom
May. 6, 2009, 03:08 PM
Yes. I figured between sweat, wear & tear and falls, why wear one that was uber-expensive for everyday. I keep my nice one in a case, ready to go to shows, and have a less expensive Troxel at the barn for every day.

analise
May. 6, 2009, 03:17 PM
Yep, I have a pretty rough-looking helmet I bought last year when I got back into riding to wear for everyday stuff and lessons and a nice velvet helmet that stays tucked away which I'll wear for shows.

TRNasty
May. 6, 2009, 03:28 PM
I've got a show helmet and schooling helmet. Last year I bought a standard black velvet International Helmet that was marked down and wear it everyday for schooling.

starkissed
May. 6, 2009, 04:15 PM
yup. I have a $50 plastic international helmet, yes its ugly but I dont really care if it gets gross or I drop in on the floor. I actually put a hunt cover on it and it looks much better.

I leave my velvet on in the box unless I am showing/lessoning. And it still gets beat up!

meupatdoes
May. 6, 2009, 04:34 PM
yup. I have a $50 plastic international helmet, yes its ugly but I dont really care if it gets gross or I drop in on the floor. I actually put a hunt cover on it and it looks much better.

I leave my velvet on in the box unless I am showing/lessoning. And it still gets beat up!

You should care if you drop it on the floor because it can compromise the protection it affords.

It is good practice to replace a helmet after every impact, whether the impact comes from a fall from a horse on your head, or from being knocked off a tack trunk.

As for the OP, I do not have showing and schooling helmets. I have one velvet CO that does double duty. I do have a 'retired' CO that I keep around in case a friend wants to ride with me. (It was retired due to general age, not because it took a hit.)

Pirateer
May. 6, 2009, 04:52 PM
Nope, show and school in the same one- or ones, when I had multiple colored GPAs.

Lucassb
May. 6, 2009, 04:58 PM
I have separate show and schooling helmets, but only because the helmet I find the most comfortable (SpeedAir) just doesn't look like something that belongs in the hunter ring to me. It's a godsend in hot weather though, and I find it cooler and much more comfortable to ride in at home.

I have a CO Wellington Pro that looks a bit more traditional (IMO) so that is my show helmet for hunters and eq. If I showed in the jumper ring, though, I'd just use the GPA.

poltroon
May. 6, 2009, 04:59 PM
I have generally kept two - a schooling and show. This way, the show helmet stays nice (not so much dust and horse hair and goo), plus if you have a fall, you always have a spare on hand.

The helmet should be replaced after even one fall where the rider hits her head. They are one-use-only devices.

gasrgoose
May. 6, 2009, 05:00 PM
[QUOTE=meupatdoes;4074845]You should care if you drop it on the floor because it can compromise the protection it affords.

It is good practice to replace a helmet after every impact, whether the impact comes from a fall from a horse on your head, or from being knocked off a tack trunk.

QUOTE]

Thanks Meupatodes. Posts like yours are what actually made me realize I needed to replace her "schooling helmet". Hopefully, I can find a deal on one. I know my daughter would love to have one of the vented helmets. The GPA speed air looks great for hot weather, but it is expensive. So, I might go with the IRH Elite.

indygirl2560
May. 6, 2009, 06:07 PM
Yes. I use my Jr8 for shows and my IRH for schooling at home.

hoops04
May. 6, 2009, 07:32 PM
i only dont use my GR8 if its raining, then i use my IRH. but generally i use my GR8 all the time, they replace them for you, even if just cause they smell.... but i ride in it everyday and still doesnt smell, even in this GA humidity!

tikihorse2
May. 6, 2009, 11:38 PM
Yep, a Tipperary for lessons and schooling. When (emphasis on "when", please note see thread on "crossrails at A shows" only I plan on starting at C's & B's, :D) when I start showing, I plan on getting a new show helmet. I say "new" because I did have two IRH's. Loved them!

Kim

LSM1212
May. 7, 2009, 12:17 PM
Yep... Tipp for home. CO for shows.

:)

ryansgirl
May. 7, 2009, 12:26 PM
Yep... Tipp for home. CO for shows.

:)

Same here :yes: - Tipperary to school in and GR8 to show in. I always have at least two helmets... just in case ;). :)

scheibyee
May. 7, 2009, 12:42 PM
Yep, a Tipperary for lessons and schooling. When (emphasis on "when", please note see thread on "crossrails at A shows" only I plan on starting at C's & B's, :D) when I start showing, I plan on getting a new show helmet. I say "new" because I did have two IRH's. Loved them!

Kim

LOL

chawley
May. 7, 2009, 12:43 PM
Nope, I wear the same helmet for every day and showing. I keep it clean and stored in a helmet bag when it's not in use, and it's held up great. Going on three years w/ this particular one.

starrysky
May. 7, 2009, 12:52 PM
I wear the same helmet schooling as I do in the shows.

Pirateer
May. 7, 2009, 06:55 PM
The GPA speed air looks great for hot weather, but it is expensive. So, I might go with the IRH Elite.

The IRH elite is a pretty nice looking helmet for the money. Someone posted pics of a few weeks ago in a thread on here.

Linny
May. 7, 2009, 09:58 PM
My IRH is my "good" helmet and my Troxel is for day to day. Actually in the winter I use my IRH alot but the Troxel is far better ventilated for warm weather. I'm not sure if the IRH was "built wrong" but I feel NO air circulation in it.

Has anyone seen this (http://http://www.troxelhelmets.com/products/features.php?ProductID=33) helmet or tried it? I saw one in a shop and they didn't have my size but it looked nice.

neigh.neigh
May. 7, 2009, 11:03 PM
i only dont use my GR8 if its raining, then i use my IRH. but generally i use my GR8 all the time, they replace them for you, even if just cause they smell.... but i ride in it everyday and still doesnt smell, even in this GA humidity!

they replace gr8s??? i should get mine replaced! its getting gross! please let me know

superpony123
May. 7, 2009, 11:12 PM
yes. it's the best way to go. i used to show in my IRH stripe helmet, but it has retired to my schooling-only helmet, and i have a CO hampton that i show in now :D honestly my IRH is going to need to be replaced, probably in the next year--and i'll probably buy another one. it's a good helmet. it's reliable. it's not plastic and goofy. it's decent. it's affordable. i think i paid $150 for it, and it lasts several yrs, i think it's a very good deal. My CO hampton was cheap too (i paid 170 on sale for it) so i think that as long as you dont buy 2 new helmets every year, it can be perfectly affordable :yes:

sisu27
May. 7, 2009, 11:21 PM
School and hack in a Tipp and show in a J3 or GPA Titium Pro depending on what I am doing.

The cheap Tipp is the coolest and most comfortable. I am excited about the new helmet they have coming out, it is supposed to be just like the original.