PDA

View Full Version : Tack Trunks, the good kind

hr
May. 6, 2009, 08:30 AM
I am thinking about buying some good tack trunks for the farm. What does everyone think about the Phoenix West Trunks that are advertised in the Smartpak catalog? And what size should I get?

mvp
May. 6, 2009, 09:10 AM
I'm a big fan of Phoenix West. Good quality trunks, the ability to do customize color, artwork, even entire products. I have modified trunk trays and saddle racks from them with good results. They also got my custom artwork right.

There are many custom trunk companies. Remember that you are buying the skill and communication of the person or retailer through which you are ordering the trunk as well as the product itself. I'd think hard about what I wanted, design the artwork and color scheme once, pick a company and stick with it. They will keep your stuff on file forever and make you new stuff as you order it. All that having been said, I'd call Phoenix West directly and ask them how they'd like you to order something so custom. They might send you to a retailer who gets complicated orders right, or deal directly with you. But don't go through a store that doesn't specialize this way-- it's a total pain when mistakes are made and expensive for the manufacturer. Phoenix West will stand by their products, both in terms of their quality and customization.

As far as size. The big trunks are great but very heavy when full. It will take two people to move them. The medium size, even full, I can move by myself and will fit through the door of my trailer's dressing room. It goes to shows, the big one stays home. I did modify the tray in the medium one, asking PW to make it half as wide so that I could easily get to the stuff underneath it.

Best of luck with your trunk order! It's a great thing, but one that takes research and care.

sopha
May. 6, 2009, 10:17 AM
McGuinn makes the trunks that are "the good kind" (they advertise in the COTH classifieds with this tag line) They make the best built longest lasting trunks out there. They are able to reproduce any color combination and logo. Their trunks are heavy! www.mcguinnfarms.com

Hattie
May. 6, 2009, 10:43 AM
I have both the Phoenix West and the McGuinn tack boxes - the McGuinn is my favorite. I just feel that the quality is a tad better.

katie16
May. 6, 2009, 01:04 PM
I have had Phoenix West trunks for several years and been very pleased with them.

For what it's worth, I got mine through www.woodsongtack.com (http://www.woodsongtack.com). They had the best prices I could find anywhere on the Phoenix West trunks. And the customer service was great - I knew what I wanted but had a bunch of questions too! I wanted a logo with farm name in arched lettering over the logo on the front. Then each customers initials located on the top corner of the trunk. They had me work with one person so it was easy to keep asking questions and followup - she was very good about making sure we were "on the same page" with everything!

If you want the wood (vs. the vinyl that I got) you can easily order them directly off of their website. I had a customer who keeps her horse at home do that with success. They made contact with her just to touch base and confirm that what she ordered was actually what she wanted so she didn't have any surprises when she received the trunk. I thought that was great!

Heineken
May. 6, 2009, 01:10 PM
HR's getting fancy ;)

shmon
May. 6, 2009, 01:34 PM
I LOVE my McGuinn's! I wish I had gotten the bigger one now, although the medium trunk is good for taking to shows....

justathought
May. 6, 2009, 03:28 PM
I love my Braly trunk - its beautifully made and they are an absolute pleasure to deal with

Lucassb
May. 6, 2009, 03:59 PM
I have trunks by three different manufacturers, McGuinn, Phoenix West and Oakcroft. Of the three, the McGuinn is the nicest by far.

That said, if you are looking for wood trunks, my Oakcroft premier trunk is really beautifully made and has held up very, very well.

I have to be honest and say I don't really like my Phoenix West trunk that much. I bought it because the barn I was in at the time ordered them for all the customers and bought them all from the same place. There is nothing major wrong with it, but the fit and finish isn't as nice as the other two, and the construction just seems a bit less robust.

Which size I'd recommend depends on what the usage is going to be. If the trunks will mostly be for home use, I'd get the large ones. If you are going to be hauling them hither and yon all the time, the medium ones are a lot easier to handle and can accommodate the stuff you need at the average show if you pack carefully.

Happy shopping!

IsolaBella09
May. 6, 2009, 09:55 PM
Love Oakcroft trunks. They're spacious, last forever, and look very good.

Marcella
May. 6, 2009, 10:24 PM
The best investment I ever made was having heavy duty casters (little wheels) put on the bottom of my trunk from Saddler's Row. Not sure of the brand, but it is a really heavy wood monster. The wheels do 2 things:

Keep me from getting a hernia when I move the trunk. I can roll it down the aisle and into my trailer. I do not have a groom to do these things for me.

Keep the trunk elevated enough so mold and nasty things don't grow under it or in it. If you don't get wheels or something, you need to stick some boards under it so the bottom doesn't get wrecked (depending on your climate, I suppose). Plus, at horse shows when it rains and a river of water comes through the tents, my drunk is usually high and dry.

superpony123
May. 6, 2009, 10:34 PM
Oakcroft!!!

MIKES MCS
May. 7, 2009, 12:55 PM
Oak croft, they will do just about any design and will even help you with it , they have a great vinyal type product too that is bullet proof or really nice wood .. What ever you can dream up they can do Call and ask to speak to Niaomi , she is the owner of teh company .. tell her the Fox Den sent you

http://www.oakcroft.com/products.htm

TrakeGirl
Feb. 15, 2010, 08:48 PM
Looking to purchase a wooden show trunk - all wood, no vinyl.

The standard size (recommended on this thread) from Oakcroft is 20.5 x 20.5 x 32.5.

The medium size from Smartpak is 22 x 20 x 36.

The Oakcroft one seems awfully small - does it really work out alright for shows? Wondering if I should go for the bigger Smartpak one.

The large Oakcroft is 22.5 x 23 x 38 for a frame of reference, which is what I am assuming is too big for shows (for one person to deal with) that is.

AHorseSomeDay
Feb. 15, 2010, 09:45 PM
I got the Beval Value tack trunk in a walnut color. It has the bandage lids. I love it. It's really well made and it can hold a lot of things. Here it is:

http://www.beval.com/Products/Large-Value-Trunk/0000004.aspx

pinkme
Feb. 15, 2010, 10:04 PM
Hey HR, why dont you have Jamie build them? Last time I checked, which was like 2 years ago, his were the best price and they are beautiful! Way nicer than some of the mass produced trunks.

TrakeGirl
Feb. 15, 2010, 10:28 PM
I got the Beval Value tack trunk in a walnut color. It has the bandage lids. I love it. It's really well made and it can hold a lot of things. Here it is:

http://www.beval.com/Products/Large-Value-Trunk/0000004.aspx

How is the weight on this?

Renae
Feb. 16, 2010, 09:08 AM
Radon is another option. They make very nice trunks.

SanctuaryStables
Feb. 16, 2010, 02:13 PM
http://www.drfowlertacktrunks.com/

LOVE David's trunks.

AHorseSomeDay
Feb. 17, 2010, 08:09 PM
How is the weight on this?

I would say with all of my stuff in it pretty heavy. It definitely takes two people to carry it but it has handles on both sides. If you get a wood tack trunk you should get a tack trunk cover. I am glad I did because my tack trunk would have been scratched by now and I've only had it since December.