PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Jumper farms in VA

WIExpat
May. 5, 2009, 10:26 PM
Hi all-

I've been in DC for about a year now, and I'm looking for a reputable hunter jumper farm in Virginia (preferably not more than an hour or so from Washington) to start up lessons after a seven year break for college and work. I don't know ANYONE here, so I'd really appreciate feedback. I don't have a horse, but I want a trainer who will take me seriously even if I won't be spending thousands on a horse and showing.

Many thanks in advance!!

Heineken
May. 5, 2009, 10:42 PM
Check your PM's

FindTheRhythm
May. 6, 2009, 08:10 AM
Heineken, why don't you post your response on the thread so others can benefit from your input? Could it be that you're still gossiping and spreading rumors about things you know nothing about? Don't forget that the horse world is small and things tend to get around. Then they come back and bite you—hard—in the arse.

Oh. And "PMs" is not possessive so should NOT have an apostrophe. Being a teacher, you should know that.

Heineken
May. 6, 2009, 08:20 AM
Find...
I sent a PM to the poster because we are from the same state and simply wanted to ask her a personal question that didn't need to be discussed on the BB. The barns I recommended were Alan Lohman's, Daphne Boogaard's and Reddemeade in MD. I suggested that getting anywhere with decent lesson horses in VA in under an hour is tough. Got a problem with those answers? Good...then crawl back under your rock and die. Kthanksbye.

Equinoxfox
May. 6, 2009, 08:39 AM
OK. here we go . A train wreck. where is the sofa and popcorn. It is coming. around the bend. WOW some of you really wake up ready to go . Don't you?
Now let's everyone calm down. take a deep breath. and chil lax... It is okay.
life is good. If anyone has any suggestions please be adult about it and list make your comments. no need to be rude here.
Yeeks.......

LaBonnieBon
May. 6, 2009, 11:05 PM
Wow, sounds like "someone" got another alter....

FindTheRhythm obviously has their panties in a big ole wad....

Equinoxfox... I'm on my way over for the popcorn!!

"A"HunterGal
May. 6, 2009, 11:22 PM
I will recomend: Meadowbrook Stables in Chevy Chase, MD Living in DC, it's probably most convenient, they have late night lessons for adults who are starting again, great horses, great trainers, great atmosphere, just a great place. :) Hope that got things back on track!

Equinoxfox
May. 7, 2009, 08:51 AM
La Bonnie Bon I waited all night for you to come over. I had the drinks flowing . the popcorn popping and my boxing gloves were out !!!
But honestly if you live around here then you know. TRAFFIC is a B!^ch...
so go out in your car. and DRIVE around in Haymarket , Aldie, Middleburg, and all surrounding areas to find a place.
we each can recommend a place but is our own basis opinion. YOU need to spend the time hitting the pavement and researching this . it is a lot to invest in your time . money. and willingness . There are so many nice farms and easily accessable from Rt 66 or Rt 50 . need more info. just PM me.

Acertainsmile
May. 7, 2009, 08:56 AM
Reddemeade? OP says she is looking for a H/J barn....:confused:

Heineken
May. 7, 2009, 09:00 AM
ACS...I only suggested it because I know they cater to adults who don't own and the equishare/lease thing they do gives people a lot of saddle time for a reasonable price. I think in both MD and VA it is hard to find somewhere that is in between "lesson mill" and "show barn" with decent school horses...it's just the way the market is. You could go to the Potomac Horse Center or similar in VA and get good lessons on decent horses but no chance to hack an extra etc. Or you could be at a show barn where there aren't extras or they don't have a horse for you to lesson on regularly because everything is in a "program".

REH
May. 7, 2009, 12:40 PM
Someone just pointed me over to this thread ;) I would suggest Ginia Wilbrandt at Mea Farm. She has a barn in Aldie and one in Clifton and she's great at making things work for people without their own horses. I don't think the website is up to date, but you can get general contact info off of it www.meafarm.com Good luck!

starkissed
May. 7, 2009, 09:30 PM
I boarded my horse in fredericksburg..and there is n.o.t.h.i.n.g there. I would not suggest boarding somewhere that involved traveling very far south and north of 95. worst road in the world.
if anyone knows of nice barns down there let me know because I am moving back soon

Fairview Horse Center
May. 7, 2009, 09:36 PM
Jenny Graham is at Cedarcreek in Sterling/Ashburn. They don't have a website that I know of, but she is a wonderful Hunter trainer, and her husband Mike is a jumper trainer.
I believe they do a fair amount of showing at the recognized shows. They are also incredibly nice people. (703) 421-2133
http://www.getfave.com/locations/5711196-cedar-creek-farm

In Catlett is another wonderful Hunter trainer - Meg Graham (must be a popular name)
http://deermeadowfarm.net/index.html

EKG Stables trainer is Erin Grampp. They show a mix of recognized and local VHSA shows. They are in Fredericksburg. http://www.ekgstables.com/index.php

Erin and Meg both show Nevada babies ;)
Unbridled Time was the VHSA Associates #1 Working Hunter for 2008 http://www.fairviewhorsecenter.com/_DSC0003_web_cropped.jpg

Denny won the VHSA Associates Working Hunter Championship stakes class at Lexington
http://www.fairviewhorsecenter.com/BOB_0418_cropped_small_web.jpg

alittlegray
May. 7, 2009, 11:40 PM
I wondered where Denny came from! He jumps so cute!! Was Wesley from your place as well?

Fairview Horse Center
May. 7, 2009, 11:43 PM
I wondered where Denny came from! He jumps so cute!! Was Wesley from your place as well?

Yes, Wesley is by my other stallion, and out of Nevada's mom, so Wes is Denny's uncle. :winkgrin:

I am glad Meg likes my babies. :yes: :cool: I will be happy to sell more to her clients. They get great homes.

Denny (aka Denali) and Wesley as babies.

Invested1
May. 8, 2009, 09:56 AM
Someone just pointed me over to this thread ;) I would suggest Ginia Wilbrandt at Mea Farm. She has a barn in Aldie and one in Clifton and she's great at making things work for people without their own horses. I don't think the website is up to date, but you can get general contact info off of it www.meafarm.com Good luck!

Wow, as expensive as that place looks to be, they should *really* run a spell check on their website! :eek:

yellowbritches
May. 8, 2009, 10:14 AM
You could go to the Potomac Horse Center or similar in VA and get good lessons on decent horses
PHC and "good lessons" shouldn't be in the same sentence (having had to teach a lot of kids a lot of stuff they should have known after years of riding there). Its usefulness begins and ends at up-downers. I second the Meadowbrook suggestion, especially if time is an issue. It is very easy to get to from the District (I think you could even do it by public transportation) and they have a good program. They host some very nice shows on the property (I'll actually be there in a couple of weeks) and they have an active group of riders who show through the As. From what I understand, it is a great program no matter your level. I know a few people who teach there, and I know they know what they are talking about, and since I frequent their shows, I get to see a lot of their riders ride (mostly the younger ones), and they look like they know what they are doing. It wouldn't be my choice of places to KEEP a horse (no real turnout), but I think it is a great place to ride.

There are LOTS of barns in the general area, but you do have to make a commitment to be in your car for a large part of your riding days for a lot of them...especially when traveling out to VA.

LaBonnieBon
May. 8, 2009, 10:44 AM
Jenny Graham is at Cedarcreek in Sterling/Ashburn. They don't have a website that I know of, but she is a wonderful Hunter trainer, and her husband Mike is a jumper trainer.
I believe they do a fair amount of showing at the recognized shows. They are also incredibly nice people. (703) 421-2133
http://www.getfave.com/locations/5711196-cedar-creek-farm

I second Jenny!! Such a wonderful person!

CharmCity
May. 8, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hello everyone,
First, I want to state for the record that this is my first post to COTH forum. I've been lurking for awhile and finally got off my tail to start playing with others:)
I highly recommend Meadowbrook Stables to start riding again. It's close to DC, wonderful trainers and nice horses. I don't believe that Meadowbrook is walking distance from the Metro but I think there is a bus stop near the entrance.
Miranda Scott is a wonderful trainer and a super nice person; I'm grateful that she was kind enough to teach me for the month since I'm a) horse-less and b) not horribly interested in showing the A-circuit since I'm one of those re-riders.
I do have to mention that Meadowbrook doesn't have an indoor arena so that may be a deal-breaker for you. Also, check their website for the fee schedule to pay lessons; it's not inexpensive.

alittlegray
May. 9, 2009, 07:55 AM
Yes, Wesley is by my other stallion, and out of Nevada's mom, so Wes is Denny's uncle. :winkgrin:

I am glad Meg likes my babies. :yes: :cool: I will be happy to sell more to her clients. They get great homes.

Denny (aka Denali) and Wesley as babies.

I feel bad thread-jacking, but I have to say that Wes is shaping up to be wonderful too! I got a great set of photos at summerplace in april...he tucks his little knees right up to his chest when he jumps. So cute!

QHmom
May. 9, 2009, 09:31 AM
Hey LaBonBon! Someone thinks you dont drive or live near traffic....LOL!!!

Fairview Horse Center
May. 9, 2009, 03:47 PM
I feel bad thread-jacking, but I have to say that Wes is shaping up to be wonderful too! I got a great set of photos at summerplace in april...he tucks his little knees right up to his chest when he jumps. So cute!

Oh, MY, you really can't post that and not let me see them!!! :D :lol: :lol:

I would love to have good photos of Wesley for his daddy's webpage. Everything I have is captured off a low quality video. <sigh>

gottagrey
May. 10, 2009, 01:17 AM
Alan Lohman is a good h/j trainer - problem is he probably doesn't have a "lesson" horse for the OP to get started back on.. therein lies alot of problems. On the plus side there are many good to great trainers in the Washington Metro area, the downside - many of them don't have "lesson" horses... I would recommend Meadowbrook over PHC because PHC seems to have lower level riders and the focus at PHC is less about "A" Shows.

You might try Broad Run Farm in Poolesville - smallish hunter/jumper show barn - they do apparently have a few "school" horses... and they do have a good group of adult riders there...don't know the telephone number but website is. www.broadrunfarm.com. is a lovely facility as well.

Last I heard Daphne Boogaard is pretty involved in the intercollegiate stuff - but could give her a try - tulip pond farm...

Also - VA has some wonderful places , but unfortunately unless you live out in Fairfax or Loudoun MD is easier to get to for riding... even if you live in certain parts of VA Like Alexandria or Arlington - Maryland is still easier

FiveBs
May. 10, 2009, 07:13 PM
I second MEA Farm in Aldie, Virginia. Ginia has good horses for you to ride and is very supportive and kind. The basic info is up-to-date on her website, but a new version will be going live in the next two weeks!!