PDA

View Full Version : Field Boot Help

dorytuo
May. 5, 2009, 03:42 PM
Hello. So I'm just getting into showing. I'm looking for field boots but my calves are enormous. I went to my local tack shop and they didnt have anything that would fit them. I've looked online and it seems that in order to get a 16" calf, you have to have a size 11 foot. Mine are size 8. I'm thinking I might have to get something custom but dont want to break the bank since I'm just getting started. Anyone have any ideas or know of a decent boot that I can get custom and isn't $800+.

TIA!

MIKES MCS
May. 5, 2009, 03:45 PM
I may have some used , if you want to email me your measurements I might have a soloution for you

mikesmcs@aol.com

Spud&Saf
May. 5, 2009, 03:59 PM
Perhaps men's boots may be a better option? No idea if that plan might actually work, but might be worth looking into.

HorsRdr477
May. 5, 2009, 04:12 PM
Ariat's wide calf size is a 16". Doesn't sound too hard to find!

Samantha37
May. 5, 2009, 04:21 PM
Devonaire makes XW calves-saved me from getting customs right now!

MTA:

Yeah, if you have a size 9.5 foot or larger and OP said she has a size 8 foot. Wide calved boots are actually really hard to find.

dorytuo
May. 5, 2009, 04:22 PM

Yeah the trouble is, the 16" calf comes with the size 11 boot in most of the sizing charts I've seen. I'm a size 8. But I'll look into the men's! Great idea!

cswoodlandfairy
May. 5, 2009, 04:46 PM
I have the exact same problem. I'm a 9 1/5 shoe and a 16 calf. I ordered the Dublins RCS Aristocrat Zip Field Book. They measured me and said these were probably my best bet and they were only $170. They raved about them at Dover and said they were great boots for the money so I am excited! They say they get really soft fast and fit wonderfully! Better for a wide calved individual.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-38536&cn=1407&bhcd2=1241556203

Good luck...but they do exist!!!

HorsRdr477
May. 6, 2009, 02:36 AM
MTA:

Yeah, if you have a size 9.5 foot or larger and OP said she has a size 8 foot. Wide calved boots are actually really hard to find.

oops! Sorry about that :D

To My Surprize
May. 6, 2009, 10:19 AM
I had a REALLY hard time finding something that fit me. I ended up ordering the Supreme Field boot by mountain horse. It fit great.

jen-s
May. 6, 2009, 10:59 AM
I have a pair of Ariats that never fit me. I had tried having them stretched, loaning them out to friends to help break in--nothing helped. Finally, gave up and took them to my local shoe repair shop (recommended by COTHers for lots of experience with horse-related fixes) and had them widened. Didn't have zippers put in, but did have the shop remove the back seam and add in a piece of leather to custom fit them to my measurements and then they added a new "seam cover" that matched the leather on my boots on top. Before they were finished sewing them back together, the shop had me come in twice to check the fit/make tweaks. The boots look gorgeous and fit perfectly. If you find boots that otherwise work for your foot, but are too slim, you might consider this as an option if you have a good shoe repair shop in your area.

analise
May. 6, 2009, 02:28 PM
I have a ~16" calf (size 9.5 shoe) and no Ariats I ever tried fit me. Or rather, I could, with a looooot of huffing and puffing, tug on a pair of pull-ons. But it took three people and a lot of huffing and puffing (and the circulation feeling cut off in my leg) to get them off again. Not something I cared to endure even in hopes they'd stretch out enough to become more usable later, especially since I don't plan on showing a ton.

I got a pair of Mountain Horse Sportive High Rider IIs and they actually fit! So I'd definitely recommend (as someone else did) looking at Mountain Horse if you've got wider than "normal" calves. :)

WIExpat
May. 6, 2009, 08:24 PM
I have a problem with field boots too- I'm 4'11" but I need a wide calf too. Any suggestions?

dorytuo
May. 6, 2009, 10:52 PM
I have a problem with field boots too- I'm 4'11" but I need a wide calf too. Any suggestions?

I got this link from another forum I posted to. Their measurements totally match mine. I ordered a pair today. I hope they work out!

http://www.horse-rider-etc.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HRE&Product_Code=VicField&Category_Code=LPSA

dorytuo
May. 12, 2009, 10:34 AM
Just an update, I ordered the boots from horse and rider for plus sized calves.
http://www.horse-rider-etc.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HRE&Product_Code=VicField&Category_Code=LPSA

Well I got them and they were waaaaaaaay too big. Really strange. My calf measures 17" and the boots are 17 1/4". Well I could easily slide my whole hand in between my leg and the boot. And then the zipper on one of them was busted. Needless to say I sent them back. I was feeling like I would need to order custom. But I went back to my tack shop one more time and the first pair she pulled out FIT!! They are Rectiligne field boots. They have the zipper up the back with a strip of elastic. They totally fit and I'm so happy. :D

Thor'sDad
May. 12, 2009, 11:02 AM
I have the same issue. Had a pair of semi-custom boots which were okay. But took a chance and bought a pair of custom boots made by this company from equador, La Mundail (http://www.la-mundial.com/), they had a booth at Manchester last summer and I checked out the samples there. They came in right on schedule and are BEAUTIFUL the leather is so soft. Best part was the price $650 and that was with shipping and the extra leather on the inside of the calf. They look just as nice as my trainers Der Dau's and at half the cost. I wasn't sure about buying custom from a company I'd never really heard of but it was totally worth it. They look great and fit like a glove.

GirlGeek
May. 12, 2009, 05:50 PM
I got this link from another forum I posted to. Their measurements totally match mine. I ordered a pair today. I hope they work out!

FYI -- It's probably a bit too late for you Dorytuo, but (as one of the short people with small feet and very large calves), you might want to be careful with the "Victory" boots - they are made by "Hispar" and a number of people out here have had problems with that particular manufacturer...

dorytuo
May. 13, 2009, 10:02 AM
FYI -- It's probably a bit too late for you Dorytuo, but (as one of the short people with small feet and very large calves), you might want to be careful with the "Victory" boots - they are made by "Hispar" and a number of people out here have had problems with that particular manufacturer...

Already sent them back. They were too big. And had a broken zipper. Seemed really cheap looking to me. I found Rectiligne field boots that fit. Wore them last night and OUCH! I'm feeling bruised. Hope they break in my the show on Sunday!

GGsuperpony
May. 13, 2009, 02:41 PM
Two affordable options:

www.nittanyboots.com

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-38781&ids=202393250

Neither is fantastic quality, but both have the sizing flexibility you need.

I know others have had bad experiences with Nittany Boots, but I bought a pair of tall boots for schooling from them and have been very happy with them. Still going strong a year and a half later with near-constant wear.

Dramapony_misty
May. 13, 2009, 04:29 PM
Take a look at the Ovation field boot Equestrian Collections offers for large calf riders.
http://www.equestriancollections.com/itemmatrix.asp?groupcode=ER90030

I've seen the regular calf version of these boots and they are stunning for a boot under $500, let alone under $300! If only I hadn't just gotten new field boots :sadsmile:

Another option is the Mountain Horse Richmond High Rider Field boot in a wide calf. The calf measurement for size 8 is 16.15-16.9 (they have elastic along the zipper which accomodates the larger size range.) Height is 17.7"
http://www.mountainhorseusa.net/spring_richmond_high_rider_field_boot.html

I DO have a pair of these MH boots and love them. They are a bit more expensive ($319 retail) than the Ovations, but still far cheaper than mediocre custom boots (which is all you would get for these prices IMHO).

LittleblackMorgan
May. 14, 2009, 10:58 AM
Devon Aire Nouvelle Field boots. I have a 17" calf, and I am 5'3. I scooped mine on ebay. they are an xxwide, and someone had them shortened an inch. They fit awesome...

Phaxxton
May. 14, 2009, 11:11 AM
Devon Aire Nouvelle Field boots. I have a 17" calf, and I am 5'3. I scooped mine on ebay. they are an xxwide, and someone had them shortened an inch. They fit awesome...

I was just going to post the same thing. Here's a link to the XXW on VTO's site: http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VTO&Product_Code=DANEFB&Category_Code=BOOTS

badawg
May. 14, 2009, 11:57 AM
I have some Ovation field boots that are just lovely. Get compliments on them all the time. People think they are a much more expensive boot than they are. My only complaint is that they aren't tall enough. Apparently when you've got big calves, they also assume that you are short! I'm tall, and big! Oh well. At least I have a boot. Plus, I'm not a hunter rider, so it doesn't really matter.