PDA

View Full Version : Critique Him Please

dixied214
May. 5, 2009, 04:30 PM
so basically I want to know if this guy looks like he has potential (after a lot of TLC) to be anything as far as just from looking at conf. I know it is not a great picture because his head is down and there arn't many angles of him but I was just wanting to know in generalization, he is 4 years old and 16.2 hh, I haven't met him personally but would really like to go out and see him maybe this weekend? I don't believe he has any training under saddle, thanks guys!

tidy rabbit
May. 5, 2009, 04:42 PM
I think your link is wrong? Unless you really want to share your hard drive with all of us.... ;-)

dixied214
May. 5, 2009, 04:45 PM
I think you're right ;] *oops* try this one!

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o171/dixied214/horseTB.jpg

thanks!

tidy rabbit
May. 5, 2009, 04:49 PM
Hard to tell anything from that picture other than he looks like he has some serious health problems.

Poor thing.

What's the story with the horse?

dixied214
May. 5, 2009, 05:05 PM
he is a rescue that landed in my inbox, he is safe for now at the home in the picture, but I would really like to help, I don't know what their plans are as far as vet checking and so I haven't heard if he is sound or if reasons other than neglect are the cause of his poor shape, I have reason to believe he has been started on the ground AT LEAST but really I just want to know what you guys think of his potential so I can spread the word about him, hopefully they will get back with me as to what the vet says so I know if he is a future riding prospect or if he will need to be a companion...

huntergirl007
May. 5, 2009, 05:13 PM
Wow! Poor thing! Nothing to say except that I hope he is in better condition soon. What would cause the large bald patches?

dixied214
May. 5, 2009, 05:17 PM
my guess is as good as yours but I am guessing that it has to be rain rot knowing the area and the soil around here, our horses develop it every year if we don't keep them out of the rain and off the moist pastures during spring, some develop it worse than others and seeing as he's a TB they do have a tendancy to go bald each spring, we had a mare that was in amazing condition grooming and physcially that did upper level eventing but every spring she would go bald, the vet said this wasn't 'typical' but not rare either for TBs to do, my boy did it one year when I couldn't see him often so maybe it's genetic or maybe its circumstantial I don't know, but looking at the areas in the pics my guess is it's rain rot that is the cause of this so hopefully they have lots of iodine on hand and some MTG!

danceronice
May. 5, 2009, 05:17 PM
Wow! Poor thing! Nothing to say except that I hope he is in better condition soon. What would cause the large bald patches?

Mange would be my guess. We had a colt who picked it up and it looked very similiar. IIRC it wasn't a big huge deal to treat, but it wasn't quite so...extensive.

He needs serious vet care and groceries, and then a photo showing a confo shot and maybe we can say something about him.

ETA: uh...I rode and was around TBs from age 12 to 21 and NONE of them did anything like that when they shed out. Ever. Not even my boy with his fungal infection on his legs--he'd get a bit scaly on the shins, get meds, and that was it. NEVER bald patches like that.

huntergirl007
May. 5, 2009, 05:23 PM
Thank you for clarifyin' that a bit.

And yes...my horse is a TB and he's never done that. Mind you, a horse at my farm did come with Mange once (and immediately left) and it was disgusting. His legs looked much like his back. Gross!

Poor things. :no:

Czar
May. 5, 2009, 05:28 PM
Actually I bet under all that, he's not bad looking. He seems to be fairly proportionate & he has excellent bone for a TB.

He also seems to have a nice slope to his shoulder (though it's a little hard to tell with him grazing) & nice short cannons. Surprisingly enough with his condition, his legs to appear to be clean as well.

He has a high croup but 10 to 1 that's b/c of his lack of muscle & fat - TB's do not typically have this conformational fault..you see it more with QH's & drafts.

mrsbradbury
May. 5, 2009, 05:45 PM
I would spread the word, somone might give him a chance. At this point in his life, any potential is nill. He just needs to heal.:cry:

Not a badly balanced fellow.

tidy rabbit
May. 5, 2009, 06:40 PM
Best of luck to the horse. Let us know if you go see him and how he looks in person.

Melelio
May. 5, 2009, 08:33 PM
I concur with Czar, basic structure looks pretty good, a bit of filling in all ankles, though. Any idea what he'd been doing prior to being let go so badly? Even looks like he might have a cute face.

dixied214
May. 6, 2009, 09:15 AM
I thought he looked like a cutie too once you get past all that unsightlyness, I emailed the caretakers y-day and here is what they said-

Here is what I know:
He is a 4 yr old TB. approximately 16.2h. 200lbs under weight and has extensive rainrot on most of his body. I talked the owner into giving him to me on the pretense that he would be used as a 4H rehabilitaion project. I worked with the local Humane Society in that area, the KY horse council and KY equine Humane Center in Nicholasville to arrange temporary housing, and then permanent housing for him. He is currently in temporary housing by the Jessamine Co. HS and will be going to the KY equine Humane center on 5/11/09. The HS has told me if I want the horse, I can keep him so I have asked some of my friends if they are interested in him, Susan Harris being one of those. The horse has been trained for the track but never raced. He has a breathing problem but it only shows up when he is breezed hard. He has been ridden western but not much and not enough to say he even knows how, he is just thin enough now, not to care. His feet are dished so he will need a good farrier for quite a long time but it can be corrected. He is UTD on Coggins and I am told his other shots as well but I have no proof of that. I would also reccomend a 5 day panacur series to start on him. His teeth aren't bad as they kept track of them on the track but he could use a dentist before he is bitted up a lot. He has not been vet checked but appears sound. I do not know his adoption fee through either the HS or KYEHC. He has a kind eye but I am told he got his name because he used to kick as a younger horse. I have his papers and he is a grandson to Storm Cat BUT, he can never be raced because of his breathing issues. He may not make an event horse because of that........... Hunter over fences, under saddle, dressage, maybe but X-country may be too much for him. Only time will tell though. I can not divulge where he came from but it was local. I am hesitiant to give him to someone I don't know because he is only 4 and some people may try to race him again. I know the KYEHC will take excellent care of him and re-home him once he is rehabilitated. the catch is, Once he leaves there, they don't have to give me the adopters name so I may or may not be able to keep tabs on him to be sure he is not neglected again.

Penthilisea
May. 6, 2009, 09:22 AM
Wow. This is a real test- ignore the outside and look at the structure.

Nice long forearms suggest a smooth gait as does his hip angle.
Whether it is due to his hoof issues or not, his pasterns appear rather upright, which could predispose him to soundness issues.
I really think his hind end will bloom with groceries, but I am unsure about the ankle filling, and top line. He is 16.2 at 4, so I would imagine he is still rather skeletal-ly immature.
I think in 3 years when he is done growing he will be a nice horse, maybe a bit plain but servicable and kind. His eye looks soft, which I like.

Best of luck, and bless you for considering this poor guy.:)

Dirty Little Secret
May. 6, 2009, 09:24 AM
hard to critique one in that bad of shape. Glad to hear that he's got a good home and some TLC. Good luck!

mrsbradbury
May. 6, 2009, 09:39 AM
Interesting story. He's young enough to recover from this. Storm Cat fillies are notoriously difficult, I'm not sure about the boys. If I remember correctly Storm Cat himself was to be a bit of a punk.

As far as fear of him racing again, I believe that is why many TB's are sold without papers. They can't without the sign off and original document. (I am not sure though, how this works.)

When he is healthy enough, it would be worth while to scope him. He may simply roar; and for mid-level hunter/ jumper it isn't likely to bother him. Some horses roar pretty badly. It would be interesting to know if he had a tie-back surgery that failed, and that is why he was given up on, the procedure is pretty common in the racetrack world.

If you need a recommendation on a reputable place to potentially assist with his recovery and rehoming, please PM me.