PDA

View Full Version : Do you sweat a lot? AKA I need a cooler helmet!

Hillside H Ranch
May. 5, 2009, 02:51 PM
Okay, this is gross, but I sweat easily and a lot. Now that the weather is warming up, I really, really find myself in need of a cooler helmet. I currently ride in a GR8, and I love the helmet, except that my head is roasting hot. I would like to keep it just for shows and find something cooler for schooling in. Does anyone have suggestions for helmets that actually keep the head cooler, rather than just being a gimick? It can be cheap, ugly, I don't care! Just looking for something that is cooler...

On that same topic, how do you clean the inside of your helmet? Do you?

PNWjumper
May. 5, 2009, 02:56 PM
Not cheap (but cheapER if you order from Amira Equine in the UK), I love love love my GPA Speed Air! I can actually feel the wind blowing through the vents onto my head as I ride. I just saw the GPAs that have the mesh in place of the metal stripe on the front and I wonder if those would do the same thing?

Having said that, my mom swore by her (relatively) cheap Troxel (much to my teenaged embarrassment) many years ago. She and all of the other moms at the barn rode daily in their ugly plastic helmets because they swore they were the only hats that kept their heads cool.

JUMPERROUND
May. 5, 2009, 02:57 PM
Charles Owen has just come out with a summer weight helmet. It has more vents, but is still more conservative looking the the GPA. I just bought one and I love it. Comes in a variety of colors, black on black, black on silver, navy and brown I think. I think it may be the AYR 8

jen-s
May. 5, 2009, 02:58 PM
I have a Tipperary Sportage for schooling and it's fabulous! I live in humid NC and it makes a huge difference.

LSM1212
May. 5, 2009, 03:01 PM
Another Tipp fan here... and I sweat easily. Even in the winter. And this helmet does help. :)

Woodsperson
May. 5, 2009, 03:05 PM
My daughter made me replace my GR8 because it smelled so bad. even after washing it would smell bad again after one ride. I now have a black on black speed air that I really like (bought it through Amira) and a sportage-the newer model. The speed air is much more comfortable.

I looked at the new CO with the additional vents, but I wasn't sold on it. Still looked hot.

cranky
May. 5, 2009, 03:08 PM
UGH, I'm in the market for one too. I'm a big-time sweater and most of it through my head. I was pouring sweat through my hair in the middle of Winter in New Hampshire (unheated indoor). Summer is going to kill me.

Hunter Mom
May. 5, 2009, 03:08 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, I love my troxel for everyday in the summer. I can hose it off when it gets rank and it will be fine.

poltroon
May. 5, 2009, 03:16 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, I love my troxel for everyday in the summer. I can hose it off when it gets rank and it will be fine.

Why do you hate to admit it? They're excellent helmets. :)

joiedevie99
May. 5, 2009, 03:25 PM
I have a JR8 (hot), an original Tipperary-not the plus (which is much cooler), and a GPA Speed Air (the coolest by FAR-you can actually feel the breeze on your head).

Hunter Mom
May. 5, 2009, 03:25 PM
Actually, most of us at my barn ride in schooling helmets at home for this very reason, including my trainer. There is one girl who rides in her GPA for everyday, but that is it. I have done my research, and know that they're every bit as safe as the more expensive ones - but they are kinda' ugly compared to the nicer ones. They're also a lot cheaper to replace when you humpty in them!

DD rides in a bright fuschia one, which looks cute on her (she's 7). I ride in a black one, which was nice when I wore it at a show where I came off in mud. It would've been ruined if it was my good helmet.

Ponymom4
May. 5, 2009, 04:19 PM
My daughter's head gets very hot in warm weather and she is always on the horse. Years ago we switched her to the GPA. It has made a vast improvement. She has 2 of them, 1 for the barn (that our corgi puppy chewed the visor), and one she uses only for shows.
She's talked about getting the Speed Air but that's alot of money to spend unless it's something you need.

Pally
May. 5, 2009, 04:25 PM
I agree the Tipperary Sportage is great (especially if you are looking in the <$100 range). Troxel is ok, but tipperary I think is cooler and more comfy.

Petstorejunkie
May. 5, 2009, 05:10 PM
Tipperary is a good one. my el cheapo troxel (the $30 model) has never roasted me. it's approved so it protects your noggin just as well as a charles owen etc.

Justmyluck
May. 5, 2009, 06:13 PM
I used to ride in my CO Hampton all the time, but it has been roasting in Florida so I drove to Tractor Supply on my way to the barn and bought a Troxel Spirit. It has been amazing cause I can feel the air on my head.

AS to clean the helmets I bought Oxy clean stain remover in spray form and spray it on a paper towel and blot the inside band. It can be really gross what comes out of it though. Ewww... So do this until your paper towel starts to come away relatively clean. Then wet a paper towel and dab away the rest. This way you get all the cleaner out and it doesn't break out/ burn/ cause a rash on your forehead.

IsolaBella09
May. 5, 2009, 07:46 PM
GPA Titium Pro. Cool and comfortable. ;)

Words of Wisdom
May. 5, 2009, 08:28 PM
My Speed Air made a huge difference. Even in moderately hot weather, my hair is only damp when I get off, instead of the sweaty mess that it used to be with my other helmets.

bayknight
May. 5, 2009, 09:24 PM
How does the sizing run for the GPA Speed Air? For those ordering from Amira Equi did you have any problems with the helmet not fitting then having to send it back?

I know what size I wear in the Titium Pro but wouldn't want to get the wrong size in the Speed Air...

anchorsaway
May. 5, 2009, 10:43 PM
Does anyone have one of these?-- I really like the look and was wondering how they are head temperature wise?
http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=6206

HARROLDhasmyheart
May. 5, 2009, 10:44 PM
Charles Owen recently came out with what looks like a GR8 with vents in it...that might be worth a try and cooler than the traditional GR8.

WorthTheWait95
May. 5, 2009, 10:48 PM
I LOVE my IRH Elite (http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=6207&cmPreserveSource=true&cmPreserveCategory=true)!

Great price, pretty enough for both showing and schooling and you can practically feel the breeze on your head when you're riding with it!

tbhuntergirl
May. 5, 2009, 10:53 PM
I school in a regular old GPA and show in a CO GR8 and just suffer through the heat. :cool:

As far as cleaning goes, I just use rubbing alcohol and cotton balls. Gets the smell and dirt out. (REALLY helped my GPA which I used to ride in 24/7 and got really really gross/made my hair smell)

I have the CO helmet deodorizer but it only masks the smell. It smelled again after I use the helmet.

Hillside H Ranch
May. 5, 2009, 11:52 PM
Wow, you guys have given me some great info! Now I just need to do some shopping.

As far as the cleaning goes, I ask because my helmet is getting pretty dirty/stinky at this point. The tag on the inside mentions some cleaning options; something about shampoo and then using a vacuum? Sounds intriguing, but complicated!

SarahandSam
May. 6, 2009, 06:35 AM
I just got the IRH Elite yesterday... haven't ridden in it yet but it feels very cool and comfortable.

For schooling I just use an IRH vented schooling helmet... it's citron green and it makes me happy. Very lightweight and cool. (: They're cheap, so they're easy to replace when you fall/drop it/leave it in a hot car for days/etc.

ImJumpin
May. 6, 2009, 07:38 AM
Hands down another vote for the Tipparary. I have the original model, so I can't speak of the sportage plus, but I do know that one actually has a removable lining so it makes cleaning your hat easy-- remove, wash, and then reinsert when dry!

My tip is by far the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned. I don't even know it is on my head! I tried a speed air, and wasn't that impressed (GPAs do not fit my head). Besides, $60 helmet versus $540 helmet-- there is no contest!

touchstone-
May. 6, 2009, 02:50 PM
Can anyone comment on how sizing runs for the Tips?

I need a new schooling helmet, and I've been eyeing the Sportage Plus for a while. But Dover didn't have any in stock last week when I went to try one on. I wear a 7 in the COs and IRH helmets, and the GPA is much too round for my head and doesn't fit at all.

ImJumpin
May. 6, 2009, 04:33 PM

I need a new schooling helmet, and I've been eyeing the Sportage Plus for a while. But Dover didn't have any in stock last week when I went to try one on. I wear a 7 in the COs and IRH helmets, and the GPA is much too round for my head and doesn't fit at all.

Hmm, you will be a medium or a small, but I don't know exactly which one to tell you to go with.

Moogles
May. 6, 2009, 04:57 PM
Another vote for the Speed Air (lucky me got mine on sale:D). Also the lining is fully removeable so you can wash it. That was the deal breaker for me to spend so much money! Even with a Troxel that had lots of air vents I would sweat buckets and with the speed air not much at all. I also find it comfortable but that depends on your head shape.

TrakeGirl
May. 6, 2009, 05:22 PM

The Sportage Plus runs smaller in size than the previous Sportage - if unsure, go up a size. I am a 7 3/8 (with my hair up) and so then I take a L in the Tipp. However, I rarely wear my hair up when schooling so I went with a M - and it is a bit on the snug side so it would probably be fine for you.

Just to throw this out there - DEAL ALERT - adamshorsesupply.com has the Sportage Plus for $44.95 in a few select sizes/colors. You might luck out! And free shipping for orders over $100. (Warning on the CocoBrown color - however - it should say "Baby/Cat Poo Brown...not Coco.")

Xanthoria
May. 6, 2009, 05:26 PM
GPA Speed Air from Amira-Equi. They run true to size but Amira-Equi will NOT take them back or replace them at a discount if they get mangled, unlike US companies!

Jo
May. 7, 2009, 09:15 AM
I finally broke down and bought this one last summer.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-36069&ids=205104486

I got it in silver because I didn't care for the looks of the white one. It's a LOT cooler than my skunk helmet, although not as comfortable.

touchstone-
May. 7, 2009, 12:08 PM
The Sportage Plus runs smaller in size than the previous Sportage - if unsure, go up a size. I am a 7 3/8 (with my hair up) and so then I take a L in the Tipp. However, I rarely wear my hair up when schooling so I went with a M - and it is a bit on the snug side so it would probably be fine for you.

Just to throw this out there - DEAL ALERT - adamshorsesupply.com has the Sportage Plus for $44.95 in a few select sizes/colors. You might luck out! And free shipping for orders over $100. (Warning on the CocoBrown color - however - it should say "Baby/Cat Poo Brown...not Coco.")

Hmmm . .. This is a great deal! But I'm still unsure about the sizing. According to the chart on that website, a 7=57=L.

EquineLVR
May. 7, 2009, 12:23 PM
How does the sizing run for the GPA Speed Air? For those ordering from Amira Equi did you have any problems with the helmet not fitting then having to send it back?

I know what size I wear in the Titium Pro but wouldn't want to get the wrong size in the Speed Air...

I would like to know this as well..

equest
May. 7, 2009, 01:33 PM
I have a Tipperary Sportage for schooling and it's fabulous! I live in humid NC and it makes a huge difference.

Count me in as a fan. Everyone at my barn rides in these (we're in hot and sweaty South Florida).

gypsymare
May. 7, 2009, 01:46 PM
Getcha some Wicky Stick-It Helmet Liners (http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=6210&cmPreserveSource=true&cmPreserveCategory=true). They are very thin so don't change the helmet size and keep your helmet from getting nasty. They also last through quite a few rides!

I have an old Troxel that I love. It's probably old enough to need replacing now so I'm glad that this thread came up. I love a cheap airy helmet for schooling and I don't feel as bad as the branches go wappity wappity wap or *thunk* when I duck through tight trails.

EquineLVR
May. 7, 2009, 02:40 PM
Hmmm . .. This is a great deal! But I'm still unsure about the sizing. According to the chart on that website, a 7=57=L.

Does anyone who has one of these know if they run true to the sizing on that website?

Starda01
May. 7, 2009, 07:18 PM
I live in S. florida and I sweat a lot, even with just a baseball cap on, my head is wet. Both my daughter and I have the IRH ATH SSV Helmet. She schools and shows in it. I like it a lot, and I do find it much cooler, its got a lot of ventilation. Definitely can feel the air.
I also have the IRH ATH Carbon Fiber Helmet, which although has more padding, I don't recommend. For the price, its cheaply made, the metal snap has rusted out twice, and I've not had it for more than maybe 2 years. The harness is peeling, any other metal parts have also corroded. I had to send it back once already, got a brand new one back, but its the same.

SarahandSam
May. 7, 2009, 10:20 PM
Getcha some Wicky Stick-It Helmet Liners (http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=6210&cmPreserveSource=true&cmPreserveCategory=true). They are very thin so don't change the helmet size and keep your helmet from getting nasty. They also last through quite a few rides!

Or the even cheaper option... pantiliners. (:

bookwormdude
May. 7, 2009, 10:28 PM
Much easier on the wallet, great weight, kept my sweaty noggin cool!! For any helmet, I'd recommend trying it on at the tack shop first! According to the sizing chart, mine was sized for ten year old boys...of which I am not one! Certainly not what I would have assumed I'd need...