PDA

View Full Version : Barns Near Nacogdoches, Tx?

IrishWillow
May. 5, 2009, 11:08 AM
Looking for a barn to board at within 30 mins of Nacogdoches, Tx. Recommendations?

RacetrackReject
May. 5, 2009, 11:13 AM
Karen Gay-(forgot her married name) used to have a barn in Lufkin. Not sure if she is still there, but I went there a few times with an eventer who was having trouble in Stadium Jumping and she was very nice and helpful. No indoor at that time, but a nice clean facility with a few rings, turnout for the horses, and she seemed to have quite a bit of students of all ages.

Ok, so I googled her. It looks like she is still there at Oaklawn Stables based on the profile of the Texas A&M associate coach who rode with Karen for 24 years and was her assistant trainer. You can also find her on the THJA webpage.

chunky munky
May. 5, 2009, 12:24 PM
Contact Windswept, both her riding daughters went to school there.

IrishWillow
May. 5, 2009, 09:11 PM
I found a barn named Meadow Ridge Stables.. anyone know anything about them?

RacetrackReject
May. 6, 2009, 01:20 PM
I was thinking you wanted a Hunter/Jumper barn since this was in that forum.

I'm not sure that Meadow Ridge is H/J in the sense that most people think of, but I could be wrong. I just thought they were a more 4-H type english and western/english (wenglish?) sort of barn.

IrishWillow
May. 6, 2009, 01:24 PM
Well, I'm kind of open to suggestion. I'd love to find an H/J barn (or even a dressage barn!) but there just dont seem to be many boarding places around here? I checked out the SFA Ag Center, since I think the Equestrian team used to be there, but they didnt seem to have much riding going on.. lots of cows in pens in the indoor???

I want to find something within 30 mins of Nacogdoches bc I will have to ride after work and it will be dark if I have to drive to far.

Portia
May. 6, 2009, 01:30 PM
Probably the trainer in Lufkin, Karen Gay at Oaklawn Stables, is your best bet. She's the only trainer in the area listed on the THJA site, although it doesn't include every trainer.
http://thja.org/Trainers/Trainers.aspx

In dressage, Mimi Burch is in Elkhart, which is also relatively close. Here's the USDF Region 9 list:
http://www.usdfregion9.org/Instructors/InstructorsTrainers.html

IrishWillow
May. 7, 2009, 12:32 AM
I've had several recommend Karen Gay. I may see if she does haul ins and board here closer.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
May. 7, 2009, 03:56 AM
I decided not to go to school there for lack of H/J options in the area, for boarding or instruction.

The only place I found was Oaklawn and I wasn't super impressed.

RacetrackReject
May. 7, 2009, 09:13 AM
If not looking for a straight hunter/jumper facility, Ruth Keeling-Holt (dressage instructor) has a facility not far from Oaklawn in Lufkin as well.

IrishWillow
May. 7, 2009, 07:29 PM
I think I'm going to go with Meadow Ridge for now, and I'll my trailer so I could potentially haul to lessons. Are there shows anywhere close?

horsestablereview
May. 7, 2009, 07:34 PM
HorseStableReview.com (http://www.horsestablereview.com) This site is new but we're hard at work trying to make it better and incorporate more barns, more reviews, and a mapping feature. I don't know if it has anything that could help you but if everyone posts their experiences, it'll be easier for everyone to find new barns for their beloved ponies. :)

Site is free to use and free to post. Good luck in your search!

Windswept Stable
May. 7, 2009, 07:44 PM
Are you going to go to school there? If so, I can put you in touch with my daughter. She will be there for May Mester and Summer 1.

Your instinct was correct-- I shipped 2 ponies from Virginia to Nacogdoches- 2 yrs ago -when the riding team was still up and running --to board on campus at the Ag barn. It was a DISASTER. Stalls/pens SOMETIMES got cleaned. The ponies sometimes got FED. When the help showed up & there was no system in place for anyone to know IF the help showed up or not. But the things that pushed me over the edge-- ponies were found on numerous occasions without water.(East Texas is HOT in August) AND they were served Moldy hay more than once. After about 3 weeks--one of my hearty little ponies layed down to colic. I was on the next plane..and yanked them out of there--and Lori at Meadow Ridge was our salvation. She trailered my poor ponies to her barn and took very wonderful care of them. You are correct-- Nac is not a Hunter Jumper town in the sense that we were accustomed to. But as far as a safe place to board your horse--Meadow Ridge is wonderful. NOW-- let me caution you--there is not a vet in Nacogdoches that we thought to be acceptable. Which is why we kept our ponies in Virginia after that first year. It's a long trailer ride to A & M if something happens. Give my daughter a shout-- she does the IHSA team now that the NCAA is gone --its very low key --you may enjoy that.

Portia
May. 8, 2009, 11:38 AM
I think I'm going to go with Meadow Ridge for now, and I'll my trailer so I could potentially haul to lessons. Are there shows anywhere close?
The closest A shows would be the ones in Tyler. You could also go over to Waco, although both of those are "close" only in Texas terms. I don't know about local.

Horse Stable Review -- thanks for the site! It looks like it could be very useful as it develops more data and input. You already had the barn I'm at on the site, but I added my review. :)

RacetrackReject
May. 8, 2009, 12:11 PM
There used to be a very nice sporthorse vet around Nac. I am trying to think of his name. A few years back we had an eventer that started stopping and the vets here could not find anything, so a trainer recommended this guy. He found the problem and fixed the horse up pronto. His wife is an UL eventer (not rolex, but intermediate/advanced) or was at the time. If I can find his name, I will post it.

Ok, this is the clinic we used, but I don't recognize the name of Dr. He may have been an intern and just worked for Dr. Grant.
http://www.wardanimalhospital.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=4#7

Windswept Stable
May. 8, 2009, 06:18 PM
Feel free to PM and I will be glad to discuss our vet experiences in Nacogdoches.