View Full Version : Ledum for Lyme

May. 5, 2009, 11:45 AM
I was reading some of the Lyme threads and people have mentioned that they were giving their horses Ledum 1M. How much were you giving your horse? Does anyone know what the dose is for a dog as well?

May. 5, 2009, 01:16 PM

Thanks for posting this. I looked up some info about ledum and it sounds like much of the work in using it for Lyme treatment has been by Dr. Stephen Tobin, in Meriden CT. I'm moving back to CT this coming weekend and have a horse that hasn't responded to 6 months of rounds of IV and doxy (with a couple months in between rounds). We're trying powdered tetracycline next, but I'm thinking I may get in touch with Dr. Tobin after our move. At this point, there isn't much to lose. If the powder tetracycline doesn't work, I have to consider my mare's quality of life, as she's very symptomatic. She won't tolerate anymore IV tetracycline (keeps pulling the catheter out and became dangerous with daily sticking). The IV tetracycline has worked (she was on it for 11 days last time, mare wouldn't let us do the full 30), but the results haven't lasted longer than a couple weeks, even though she was on doxy. I really wish she would tolerate a full 30 days of IV, but she won't. I'm working with Dr. Divers at Cornell and my vet and we have done everything by the textbook and regardless of cost. I'm at my wit's end and so frustrated that I'm having to consider euthanasia because of Lyme disease. I've never known a horse that didn't respond to aggressive treatment. My vet is at his wit's end too. We're throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Has anyone heard of or worked with Dr. Tobin in CT? Good experiences? Sounds like he specializes in homeopathy.

May. 5, 2009, 01:21 PM
I just posted a private msg. to someone who had inquired. I'll copy here:

Hi ... well, you can find the article by Dr. Stephen Tobin, DVM out of CT here: http://www.thepenzancehorse.com under "Miscellaneous" ... he advocates giving Ledum 1M 3 times a day for 3 days. That would be for ANY animal or human. I've used it with dogs, cats, daughters *grin*, myself ... I had the bullseye twice last year and both times took the Ledum for 3 days. No other symptoms followed. Our daughter had 3 tick diseases at once ... went through 1 1/2 rounds of Doxy with HORRIBLE side effects and then took the Ledum regime. That was over 2 years ago now, I think, and she's doing fine. The prognosis the Dr. gave her initially was not good at all! So, we've found it to be good.

So, again, LEDUM 1M - 3 times a day for 3 days.

Jun. 24, 2009, 02:01 PM
Revamping this thread -- has anyone used Ledum as part of a treatment plan for horses with confirmed cases of Lyme? Did you only do the treatment for three days, or longer?

Jun. 24, 2009, 03:16 PM
veebug, if you work with Dr. Divers from cornell, can you ask him about using ledum with doxy, etc.

I just spoke to my vet who was at the internal medicine conference earlier this month who said Dr. Divers said some horses just have high antibody levels and are not symtomatic.
I understand in your case, your horse is.
Just wondered if you could ask him his opinion since he seems to be the guru for lyme. tia

Jun. 24, 2009, 10:48 PM
Good suggestion. I hadn't thought of asking Dr. Divers. My vet in NY was working closely with him through most of this ordeal, so he knows my mare's case and has given a lot feedback/info already. I just moved to CT, but I think my vet here has been in touch with him before too. Hadn't thought of going to him for the ledum advice (doh), I'll let you know what I find out!!

Jun. 25, 2009, 12:07 PM
thanks, will look forward to the response.
I am in the midst of doing another round of lyme with 4 horses again, so any input is appreciated.

May. 17, 2012, 09:39 PM
Thank you--I'm checking it out.

Winding Down
Aug. 24, 2014, 08:40 AM