PDA

View Full Version : what is a "normal" seat size for a 9 year old kid?

Alterrain
May. 4, 2009, 11:51 PM
I am letting a little girl at my barn show my stallion this weekend; she has ridden him a couple times at home, and I can't show this weekend- family reasons. She does not have her own saddle (at home she borrows another kids) so I assume she can just show in mine? It fits my guy great. She is 9, about 4', 60 lbs or so. I am 5', 100 lbs. The saddle is a 16" butet. Will she be swimming in it, or do you think for the weekend it will be ok?

QueenMother
May. 5, 2009, 06:53 AM
I thought juniors are not allowed to show stallions. . . .

That said, at that age and size my daughter rode in a 15.

Eventer13
May. 5, 2009, 07:06 AM
I think it really varies- some kids are quite big at that age, some are shrimps. My sister (shrimp) was riding in a 16". It was a little too big, but mom didn't want to buy something smaller and then have to sell it in 2 years. I think for one show, a 16" would be fine. But maybe she could ride in it one day this week, just to see how it feels?

supershorty628
May. 5, 2009, 07:08 AM
I rode in a 14'' saddle from the age of 7 up until 14. It really depends on the kid.

Hokie Rider Alum
May. 5, 2009, 07:48 AM
My 9 year old rides in a 14 1/2, but she is tiny. She swims in anything bigger than a 15 1/2. I would definitely check your rules, though because juniors can't show stallions, nor would I ever let my 9 Year Old!

Mo's Mom
May. 5, 2009, 08:08 AM
I am letting a little girl at my barn show my stallion this weekend; she has ridden him a couple times at home, and I can't show this weekend- family reasons. She does not have her own saddle (at home she borrows another kids) so I assume she can just show in mine? It fits my guy great. She is 9, about 4', 60 lbs or so. I am 5', 100 lbs. The saddle is a 16" butet. Will she be swimming in it, or do you think for the weekend it will be ok?

9 years old, showing a stallion, just WOW. :eek:

I have started training/showing Welshes, it may be allowed in their breed shows, but 9 years old. Not me.

Hunter Mom
May. 5, 2009, 08:48 AM
She sounds close in size to my daughter, who rides in a 14". I think a 16" would be way too big.

rabicon
May. 5, 2009, 08:56 AM
Stallion at 9 :eek: Holy crap. but okay. I thought jrs. couldn't show stallions??? :confused: My daughter is 8 and is almost 4' and 55lbs. She rides in a 14.

MIKES MCS
May. 5, 2009, 09:18 AM
At 4ft tall and 60 lbs she sounds Tiny , it really depends on the length of her thigh but I would guess a 15 " would even be big on this little one .

Limerick
May. 5, 2009, 09:20 AM
My daughter is 4'7 and just under 80 lbs and still in a 14 inch Pessoa. According to her trainer, she still fits it fine.

HARROLDhasmyheart
May. 5, 2009, 11:36 AM
Stallion at 9 :eek: Holy crap. but okay. I thought jrs. couldn't show stallions??? :confused:

I don't believe they can, at least not in the hunters. I know a few juniors who show stallions in the junior jumpers/young riders classes, though.

I feel like this begs the question as to WHY a 9 year old is showing a stallion?

Maya01
May. 5, 2009, 12:00 PM
I don't believe they can, at least not in the hunters. I know a few juniors who show stallions in the junior jumpers/young riders classes, though.

I feel like this begs the question as to WHY a 9 year old is showing a stallion?

I didn't think even the Juniors in YR could ride stallions. I was under the impression that you can't ride stallions until your 18th year... The rules are in place due to safety. A 9 year old should not be riding a stallion - they aren't strong enough nor do they have enough experience to ride a stallion...

rabicon
May. 5, 2009, 12:09 PM
so agreed. Even at our local english pleasure/western pleasure/running shows they don't allow anyone under 18 to ride a stallion. This is a local podunk show also :lol: They are governed by noone but themselves. I've never heard anyone allow this. Number one reason is safety for the child and for the others at the show. It could be the best stallion in the world but if he decides he wants to mount a mare I don't believe a 9 yr old is strong enough or even capable to handle that. This is a major safety issue.

WorthTheWait95
May. 5, 2009, 12:11 PM
You cannot show a stallion in the hunters as a junior but you can show a stallion in the jumpers as a junior.

From the rule book:
2. Stallions. Junior riders may show stallions. (Exception: Stallions are prohibited in Pony
Jumper Sections. See JP118.4)

5. Stallions are prohibited from all Pony Hunter classes except breeding classes.
6. Stallions are prohibited from all Junior and Children’s’ Hunter classes.

The only reason I know that is that I bought a gelding in a stallions body when I was 16 and we double/triple checked that to make sure I could actually show him.

Regardless of the rule I agree that 9 is far to young to be up on even the best behaved stallion.

huntermom2002
May. 5, 2009, 12:14 PM
My daughter is 9 and rides in a 15".

Gwendolyn
May. 5, 2009, 02:00 PM
Just my 2 cents....

A stallion may be PERFECT at home, but can be a TOTALLY different horse at a show. As evidenced by the stallion I groomed last year who was a puppy dog at home but came out of the ring after his first class with us and stood up and proceeded to go after every horse/person in sight. Even my 40+ year old trainer that was on him had a hard time controlling him! :eek:

Ponyaddict
May. 5, 2009, 02:12 PM
.... so someone must smell a troll here....:yes:

rabicon
May. 5, 2009, 03:27 PM
Yea, I'm wondering to. They haven't came back so it just maybe a troll. If someone is that nuts (to say it nicely) I'd hope they are a troll.

huntergirl007
May. 5, 2009, 04:04 PM
I have heard this term "troll" quite often. What exactly IS a troll?

rabicon
May. 5, 2009, 04:09 PM
Someone that goes around on a BB and just tries to start fights within the BB or to just get a reaction. Someone that has nothing else better to do with their lives ;)

superpony123
May. 5, 2009, 05:14 PM
has to be a troll!

Alterrain
May. 5, 2009, 11:08 PM
No, I am not a troll.

Yes, he is a jumper. she is doing the low childrens. I show him in the adults but cannot make it to the show this weekend, and he is already there in a paid for stall. And she rides WAY better than I do.

Thanks for all the actual replies in regard to seat size. I will ask her mom to see if she can borrow a 14/ 15 from a friend.

ChagrinSaddlery
May. 6, 2009, 09:00 AM
Wow! I have never heard of a nine year old riding a stallion in the jumpers. I have a nine year old daughter who activley shows ponies (small green division and children's hunter pony) on the local A curcuit. She is a very capable rider as are many of these kids. That being said, I have NEVER observed a child of that age doing the jumpers on a stallion.

Is it even allowed?

She rides in a pony Pessoa size 15. She is very thin but tall.

Tha Ridge
May. 6, 2009, 12:33 PM
To the OPs defense, I showed a lovely Arabian stallion when I was kid (not in Hunter/Jumper stuff). Plenty of stallions are perfect gentlemen and totally child appropriate. He was a kinder horse than most mares and geldings I've ridden.

xabbracadabra
May. 6, 2009, 01:00 PM
Juniors can show stallions. I do not agree with putting a 9 year old one one though

JP113 Eligibility.
1. Jumpers may be of any breed, height, or sex. (Exception: Pony Jumpers, see JP118.4)
2. Stallions. Junior riders may show stallions. (Exception: Stallions are prohibited in Pony
Jumper Sections. See JP118.4)