PDA

View Full Version : Horse Hair Products... have you used them for your hair ever?

Tini Sea Soldier
May. 4, 2009, 10:52 PM
Random question of the week...

As I'm flipping through the latest issue of Lucky mag and noticed all the "color-intensive" shampoos and conditioners... it occurred to me that we have the resources at our fingertips... in the products that we purchase for our equines!!!

So fess up... has anyone used Quickilver/QuickColor to brighten their highlights??? Show Sheen to tame frizzy hair or straighten out a ponytail holder bump???

billiebob
May. 4, 2009, 10:59 PM
I've used a tiny amount of vetrolin detangler on my hair when it was longer than it is now. I have a lot of fine hair (individual strands are fine, there's just a lot of them) and it gets tangled really easily when it's long. A few drops of vetrolin detangler would get all the knots out and made my hair smell nice.

Others at my barn are fans of Santa Fe detangler.

fourmares
May. 5, 2009, 02:17 AM
Quik Silver rocks! I use it a few times a week. I've used Cowboy Magic for tangles. Rio Vista shampoos are actually made by Jerry Redding. Mane and Tail is sold in the people hair aisle. Some of the hoof conditioners are great for human nails... there was a product in the eighties called Belial (or something like that).. that advertised that it was created based on the stuff that race track grroms used on horses feet... the stuff was like 50 buck an ounce! Seriously a huge thing of HoofMaker was about 10 bucks back then.

Pirateer
May. 5, 2009, 04:04 AM
I used cowboy magic detangler a few times.
And the rosewater shampoo.

OneMoreTime
May. 5, 2009, 11:33 AM
I probably shouldn't admit this, but I've showered myself in the wash stall, using only horse products :eek: We don't have a human shower at the barn, and sometimes you just need to get clean!

Tini Sea Soldier
May. 5, 2009, 12:00 PM
HAHA.. that's why I asked the random question... bc there have definitely been times when I've needed to stop by someone's house on the way home from the barn and wanted to look somewhat presentable... so I've thrown some show sheen in the hair since I didn't like the "just fresh out of the helmet" look.

HAHA.. keep'em coming...

I am tempted to try Quik Silver.. although I'm afraid it's gonna turn my blond hair white!!!

karenrrafuse
May. 5, 2009, 12:06 PM
I have always wondered about this! Think about how much a bottle of Canter Mane & Tail costs vs. fekkia hair serum? By the way... has anyone ever used this?

Tini Sea Soldier
May. 5, 2009, 12:10 PM
Not to mention the size of the containers!!!! You can get like 2.5 bottles worth of Fekkai in one bottle of horse shampoo or tail conditioner... I'm just curious who's done it and how are the results... and what would you recommend for a blond... or should I say... palamino ;)?

mcm7780
May. 5, 2009, 12:17 PM
I have always wondered about this! Think about how much a bottle of Canter Mane & Tail costs vs. fekkia hair serum? By the way... has anyone ever used this?

If you mean the Fekkai hair serum, I've tried it. Didn't really like it enough for what I paid so I returned it to Sephora. I thought FrizzEase worked just as well if not better. However, my friend really like the Fekkai serum.

Never really tried horse stuff since I used human stuff on my horse!

Gwendolyn
May. 5, 2009, 01:55 PM
I have used mane and tail shampo and conditioner...back when I was a kid. The shampoo smells great!

I tried Vetrolin shine (the spray detangler) once to see if it would help with my frizzy hair.....not so much :(

I do, however, buy Garnier Fructis for Dora.....the horse conditioner is expensive and doesn't smell as nice! I also use Infusium leave-in conditioner on her tail (a human product). Works GREAT!

I keep a bottle of hoofmaker in my truck for my hands....and a bottle of mineral ice at home for the after effects of those unplanned emergency dismounts! :lol: :winkgrin:

gg4918
May. 5, 2009, 02:25 PM
Marshal and Sterling Finals I bathed using both horse products and people products...The horse products worked better!!

mypaintwattie
May. 5, 2009, 02:42 PM
The owner of Cowboy Magic Products also has a human hair care product line sold in high end salons. It's basically the same thing as the "horse" version.

Tini Sea Soldier
May. 5, 2009, 04:17 PM
I may conduct a "human lab" and actually add a dolop or 2 of Quik Silver to my shampoo... I'll let you know if I end up with lighter hair! LOL

Go Fish
May. 5, 2009, 05:05 PM
I would think, if the ingredients are listed, you could compare the products to see what you are actually using. If they are similar, what's the diff?

superpony123
May. 5, 2009, 05:12 PM
ive used mane & tail, of course, we probably all have. haha. ive put some cowboy magic detangler on my brush when i had a real nasty knot in my hair. worked. i wandered what quicsilver would do for blonde hair and highlites but i dont have hilites so never tried. plus i think it'd turn the scalp purple ! not fun. lol. ive also used man-o-war shampoo. that worked too.

Pally
May. 5, 2009, 09:06 PM
They make quick silver type shampoos for people (though granted they are aimed more at white haired people than blonde haired people if you know what I mean :D which is why someone of your age might not realize they are out there), so I would assume it's quite safe. Just don't leave it in too long, but hey the same goes for horses too!

I used to show cattle too, and one time waiting to go into the ring, a guy was giving his friend's steer some last minute touch-ups with a livestock comb and adhesive spray (yes we use adhesives - like strong hairspray, since the goal is poofy rather than smooth and slick). Does a last look over, then the guy tilts his head down and his friend tidies up his hair with the same comb and adhesive :lol:

Mali
May. 5, 2009, 09:10 PM
I use Eqyss Cloud Nine creme rinse every time I shampoo. A gallon lasts me 9 months or longer, and a little goes a long way. It's the only conditioner I will ever use!

HighFlyinBey++
May. 5, 2009, 09:29 PM
I use Eqyss Premier shampoo & Rebuilder conditioner to rapidly regrow my hair after losing it to chemo. I currently have a growth rate of about 1/4" per week. These same products are marketed to humans as the Ovation line for about $56 for a 12 oz bottle. I bought 32 oz of Premier shampoo for under $20 :D

anchorsaway
May. 5, 2009, 10:37 PM
I have used mane and tail shampo and conditioner...back when I was a kid. The shampoo smells great!

I tried Vetrolin shine (the spray detangler) once to see if it would help with my frizzy hair.....not so much :(

I do, however, buy Garnier Fructis for Dora.....the horse conditioner is expensive and doesn't smell as nice! I also use Infusium leave-in conditioner on her tail (a human product). Works GREAT!

I keep a bottle of hoofmaker in my truck for my hands....and a bottle of mineral ice at home for the after effects of those unplanned emergency dismounts! :lol::winkgrin:

Awh man, Infusium is the BEST! Plus it smells wonderful :D
Santa Fe is a close second though...

I use Head and Shoulders(or the cheaper alternative) for my guy, it seems to not leave a residue and rinses out better than most shampoos I've ever used.

LittleGray
May. 5, 2009, 10:40 PM
I use the cowboy magic rosewater shampoo and conditioner AND the detangler, and absolutly love it. My hair is healthier than it's ever been, though with the detangler a little goes a long way...if you use too much your hair looks greasy...yuck...

kaazs
May. 5, 2009, 11:45 PM
I've used Main & Tail before if that counts (since they market it to both humans and horses). It works really well with my hair

JollyBadger
May. 6, 2009, 12:09 AM
I've used Mane and Tail (shampoo and conditioner) with good results. Show Sheen as well.

I draw the line at any color-enhancements. . .and certainly at M-T-G. I do not need my head to smell like I wrapped it in rancid bacon grease overnight.

DancingQueen
May. 6, 2009, 12:12 AM
I have tried mane and tail on myself after reading that certain celebs swore by it. They can keep swearing, I'll sweare by my regular shampoo!

However I've tried various showsheens on myself for a little extra luster and cowboy magic works wonders for cowgirls too!

fourmares
May. 6, 2009, 02:01 AM
I forgot about the Cowboy Magic Rosewater Shampoo... that stuff is great. I might have to go to the tack store and get a bottle.

_downpour_
May. 6, 2009, 04:32 AM
For fun, once I tried ShowSheen on my own hair.

Never again. It made it dry and disgusting, like straw! So I don't use it on the horses coats either.

I imagine those special whitening purple shampoos would do the same!

Dirty Little Secret
May. 6, 2009, 08:27 AM
I've put showsheen on my hair before for shine... wasn't impressed... stuck with my Aveda.

Tini Sea Soldier
May. 6, 2009, 12:13 PM
This is GREAT...

and I'd never use M-T-G either... the first time I bought it.. I thought I had a bad bottle bc it smelled like burnt bacon (as you mentioned!). I actually tried to return it and they explained that it always smelled awful... but was quite effective. It didn't do much for my horse... and it ended up spilling in my tack box. BOOOO.