PDA

View Full Version : What kind of candy do you give to your horse?

Dressage Art
May. 4, 2009, 02:26 PM
What kind of candy do you give to your horse?

I like to give my horse an individually wrapped Spearmint candy, since it's almost like sugar, individually wrapped candy doesn't melt and dissolve in my beeches pockets in the summer, they do not attract ants, and green coloring doesn't color horse's mouth foam in pink - making it looks like the horse is bleeding.

That said, I'm kind of tired of the same old Spearmint candy. Would love to find something new! Any ideas?

lalahartma1
May. 4, 2009, 02:30 PM
Peppermint candy canes and peeps. :)

summerpony
May. 4, 2009, 02:30 PM
Individually wrapped Jolly Ranchers. They love them.

cloudyandcallie
May. 4, 2009, 02:39 PM
None. (Altho I'd love to find real peppermint oil to give him without the sugar from peppermints.)

He eats apples, oranges, beer.

He ate those frozen human cookies in Florida, but I stopped that. Ditto the studmuffins.

I guess Coca-Cola might be considered a "candy" but he takes his meds in his Coke, so it is beneficial.

mvp
May. 4, 2009, 02:49 PM
Your horse will probably dig anything fruit-flavored. So don't neglect the gummi whatevers-- bears, worms, sharks...

Just experiment. That's making science fun for all!

Ted the Peep 'Ho
May. 4, 2009, 02:57 PM
Peeps, of course. goodnplenty. rice krispie treats. gingerbread, sugar, or oatmeal raisin cookies. Licorice in general.

After all, I should know!

cloudyandcallie
May. 4, 2009, 03:02 PM
Peeps, of course. goodnplenty. rice krispie treats. gingerbread, sugar, or oatmeal raisin cookies. Licorice in general.

After all, I should know!

Ted, you are only getting a small % of the treats, someone close to you (not Bow) is eating a lot of your stuff.

And did JustBorn ever realize that you could be their spokeshorse? Move over, Mr. Ed.

Petstorejunkie
May. 4, 2009, 03:37 PM
ginger snaps, good n plenty, starlight mints, puffed mints, carrot cake that's gone stale. all the mint lifesavers are great too. i'll buy the small rolls to keep in my breeches, and the bags for around the barn. they are a bit more expensive but they arent colored, and they come in a variety of mint flavors.
oatmeal cream pies are a hit if you are in the mood for blowing some bucks. great for hiding bute or wormer in too ;)
my horse doesnt do gummy and thought i was poisoning him when i gave him peeps (i know, he doesnt know what he's missing)

DeeThbd
May. 4, 2009, 03:41 PM
Individually wrapped peppermint lifesavers (you should see the antics when I crinkle a wrapper!) They come in sugarless too.
Made the mistake of giving one of my geldings some store brand Oreo type cookies once during a lunch break....he loved them, but when I returned to feed supper, he was loaded with hives!
Dee

BramblewoodAcres
May. 4, 2009, 03:41 PM
Peppermints, but only the sugar-free kind. Sugar rots their teeth just as much as it does ours!

amazon
May. 4, 2009, 03:49 PM
fruit flavored tums and peppermints.

Milocalwinnings
May. 4, 2009, 03:52 PM
Peeps, peppermints, lifesavers...

I have tons of jolly ranchers (love them!) and should bring some out for Milo to try... I don't like the apple ones, so maybe he'll love those and I can get rid of them!:lol: He usually doesnt' like apple flavored stuff though.

A few weekends ago my friend and I were at a horseshow and her parents brought us breakfast... we had some sort of chicken breakfast sandwhich thing from Mcdonalds. Her horse was all over it! He LOVED the chicken haha.

I don't like, fill my gelding's bucket with junk and treats, but once in a while some candy or a piece of chicken sandwhich won't hurt them, IMO.

mcm7780
May. 4, 2009, 04:39 PM
I've been known to share just about anything with my horse...:uhoh: I was eating an egg, cheese, and bacon English muffin at an event and my horse look interested. He got a piece. He also showed interest in a cucumber and peanut butter sandwich (WTF?!?) someone was eating while I was getting ready for a lesson. The person gave him a bit. Sour cream and onion potato chips? Why not!

More traditionally: mints, sugar cubes (my mom would bring them back from restaurants in Europe so I could give them a "special" sugar cube every once in a while), oatmeal raisin cookies, occasional soda.

Tif_Ann
May. 4, 2009, 04:53 PM
Mine LOVE what I call the "Nector of the Gods". It's those sugar coated fruit slices? Cherry seems to be their favorite, though orange is a big hit too. They also love black licorice, apple licorice, and tolerate red licorice. Gummi worms are a fun favorite and it's fun to make them stretch them out and pull them out of my hand :)

Tommy won't touch peeps, and Pi takes them in his mouth, licks off all the sugar, and spits out the marshmallow. Of course, Tommy loves watermelon rinds whole, while Pi will either use his teeth to scrape off any and all pink while I hold the rind, or take the rind in his mouth, scrape off the pink, and spit out the rest of the rind.

Yes, I know Pi is an odd horse.

SpringOakFarm
May. 4, 2009, 05:03 PM
I keep the soft puffy peppermints in my feed room, but give them in moderation. I don't think I would feel comfortable feeding any other candy. However, I have been known to share a popsicle! The horse that we are leasing for our daughter much preferred the orange flavored popsicle to the cherry! :)

Beverley
May. 4, 2009, 05:33 PM
None.

Post-workout, mine will find a few grass hay cubes or pellets in their mangers as a treat. Occasionally they get carrots or apple cores (after I eat the apple). They most enjoy hand grazing where the grass is greenest.

mp
May. 4, 2009, 05:40 PM
Seedless grapes.

RomeosGirl
May. 4, 2009, 05:48 PM
Tommy won't touch peeps, and Pi takes them in his mouth, licks off all the sugar, and spits out the marshmallow.

Yes, I know Pi is an odd horse.

Ted would know this for sure, but isn't that Peep abuse?!?! You can't remove their skin & spit them back out:eek:

My boy loves grapes, raisins, & bananas - he gets these occasionally as special treats - but the carrots keep coming on a regular basis. If I do arrive at his door without a carrot I get "Hi Mom.... wait you have nothing for me... I'm going away"

eclipse
May. 4, 2009, 06:05 PM
When I had Ellie, she would kick down the stall door for anything with bananas in, bagels or skittles. My new mare, so far, just will eat proper horse treats.....actually turned her nose up at apples! :eek::lol:

LLDM
May. 4, 2009, 06:11 PM
My old Pony Club horse was a huge fan of Good-n-Plentys. They never did rot his teeth and he ate them for almost 30 years. It took me until he was about 6 or 7 to figure out he loved them so much. I never had a box I didn't share with him! A straight suger and licorice buzz is tough to beat!

SCFarm

King's Ransom
May. 4, 2009, 07:46 PM
We have separate treats now for all three horses. Chester likes carrots, but will eat horsey-type peppermint treats. No candy.

Elijah is a goof for peppermints -- the kind you get as you walk out of a "family" restaurant. I have actually had restaurants give me handfuls of them when they found it I was "stealing" one for my horse! But ... Elijah will eat almost ANYthing.

King is very very picky. He thinks senior feed and grass are the only types of "food," everything else I have ever offered him must be poison. He looks at me like, "WHY are you trying to poison me?" as he turns up his nose ... except . for . Mrs. Pasture's Horse Cookies. Oh my! He is embarrassingly nuts for them. Because they are so expensive, I quit getting them for him about a year ago. But now that everyone else has their "favorite," I recently sprang for a small bag. Just for King. He is in horsey-treat heaven!

gottalovethecowgirl
May. 4, 2009, 07:58 PM
Misha likes: Swedish fish, jolly ranchers, starbursts (she mainly gets the yellow and orange cause i don't like those ones), skittles, sugar cookies, Diet Coke, Smarties, footsies, take fives, sugar cookies, no bake cookies, Popsicles , ... basically anything that i am eating she wants it :lol:

She also loves her horse treats from the store, apples, carrots, sugar cubes.. etc.

I know my horse is going to be a diabetic someday...:winkgrin:

twofatponies
May. 4, 2009, 08:01 PM
None.

Post-workout, mine will find a few grass hay cubes or pellets in their mangers as a treat. Occasionally they get carrots or apple cores (after I eat the apple). They most enjoy hand grazing where the grass is greenest.

I do the handgrazing after a workout as a treat too. Occasionally a carrot or apple core. Otherwise just rubs and scritches.

elio
May. 4, 2009, 08:04 PM
Eliot eats most anything. He loves apples, carrots, Dumor cookies (all 3 kinds), any horse treat, pears, watermelon rinds, peppermints - of course!:) I make him my version of stud muffins and have also purchased anything that looks like a stud muffin, licorice, gummy anything, swedish fish, spearmint leaves, cupcakes (he liked the frosting but not the cake), oatmeal cookies, carrot cake, donuts and last but not least....chocolate chip cookies which he did not care for!:lol:

Carrera
May. 4, 2009, 08:07 PM
Mine get pre-made horse treats, not sure of the brand but they love them! Its in a green plastic bag and they are DIRT cheep!

I also have green mints in the barn, but really who am I kidding... they are for me!

Lori T
May. 4, 2009, 09:27 PM
Bob's peppermints from Sams club! And they are great to add to warm mashes in the winter.

Penthilisea
May. 4, 2009, 09:35 PM
Dang near anything. I try not to give him soft sticky stuff, like fluff, but other then that he eats anything in sight.

PL
May. 5, 2009, 12:12 AM
Jellybeans, gum-drops...and the natural sugar: oranges, bananas, raisins.

Across Sicily
May. 5, 2009, 12:13 AM
Peppermints. Those are the #1 treat at my barn. Anything peppermint - we do the individually wrapped ones most of the year, but each horse gets a gigantic candy cane during the holiday season.

Otherwise, peeps, Good N Plenty (my boy LOVES those), and one time when we had a bunch of stale cupcakes left over from some barn party, they got stale cupcakes. Surprisingly, almost every single one of them gobbled them up.

LarkspurCO
May. 5, 2009, 01:01 AM
One of mine will not eat candy. He only likes carrots.

The others all love peppermints (Brach's).

None of them wanted ANYTHING to do with Peeps. I tried one myself and I have to agree with the horses. They're nasty!

(Sorry, Ted. I would've sent them to you but they vanished mysteriously. I think Mr. Larkspur ate 'em.)

WB Mom
May. 5, 2009, 06:59 AM
Peppermints and Butterschotch candies. And of course apples and carrots. I'd like to try watermelon one day too...

jengersnap
May. 5, 2009, 07:19 AM
Since the horses are not on sweetfeed (not even the racehorses), I don't mind giving the occassional peppermints, peeps and other sweets to those who like them. But the universal barn favorite is carrots. We order the big bags of second carrots (some thick as my forearm) and they all get either some carrot or some apple daily. The stallion can bite through the really big ones in ways that make me leary of any appendages left within reach.

My oldest mare though is a try it once to see if she likes it type of mare. Her list of edibles includes saltines, oat cakes (from Tim Hortons), granola bars, donuts, bananas, goldfish crackers, oatmeal and oatmeal cookies, any hard candies, and several things I'm sure I've forgotten. When we stop for a snack on the trail, I offer her whatever I brought first to see if she's interested. I figure she's earned it more then I have.

JSwan
May. 5, 2009, 07:26 AM
One of my horses goes absolutely mad over gummi bears. Spins in his stall, kicks the walls, door, tosses his head, makes chewing motions. Gobbles them down by the handful.

What's not to love about gummi bears? :)

bird4416
May. 5, 2009, 08:32 AM
All of mine love licorice, especially Good and Plenty and black jellybeans. Some like butterscotch and some like peppermint but they all go nuts for the black jelly beans.

LD1129
May. 5, 2009, 08:47 AM
Mine likes the usual peppermints, carrots, apples, cookies, peanut m&m's but not the regular ones (no clue why) he is a bit pickier then my old horse who would run you over for a soft pretzel or bagel! I was at a show and turned my back for a minute and he bit off a piece of someones bagel :uhoh: He also loved red twizzlers!

equusvilla
May. 5, 2009, 08:52 AM
Although I don't have this boy anymore...Ivan used to love Orange slice candy. After he ate it - he would such his tongue to savor the taste for an hour!

bird4416
May. 5, 2009, 08:56 AM
He ate those frozen human cookies in Florida, but I stopped that.

They make cookies out of frozen humans???? :lol:

rabicon
May. 5, 2009, 09:07 AM
of course peeps. My one horse loves icebreakers sour candy

<3OTTB
May. 5, 2009, 09:49 AM
I'm generally not a big fan of treat dispensing other than carrots and apples but I do have a sweet little pony who loves treats. I give him spearmints, peppermints, starburst, popsicles, watermelon, bananas, oranges, crackers, cookies, yogurt, and pretty much whatever I am snacking on that I think won't make him sick. I can't say no to him and he's super gentle so what the heck. :D

LR1976
May. 5, 2009, 09:56 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Foxtrot's
May. 5, 2009, 05:29 PM
My husband alsways has TUMS on him, so the horses nuzzle his breast pocket. I don't get the same treatment, thankfully.

Foxtrot's
May. 5, 2009, 05:32 PM
My friend's hard-to-catch horse became addicted to anything with anise in it - he would come running when she showed up. I tried them and it was the same thing - addiction.

BelgianAndy
May. 5, 2009, 05:50 PM
Horse treats, carrots and apples mainly. But Altoids is a favorite as well.

asb_own_me
May. 5, 2009, 06:47 PM
My 6 y/o, Puppy (the horse) goes crazy for salt water taffy. I think that's the one thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread :D Apples, carrots, watermelon rinds and all, peppermints, Starburst, and Coke. My mare, Classy, is super picky and wouldn't even eat peppermints until 4 years ago, and won't really eat anything but peppermints, carrots and apples. God forbid you give her a Granny Smith apple...too sour. She will take it from you and THROW it AT you. Nailed me in the head once. The youngest, my 4 y/o, Atlas, is newly addicted to Coke. Loves slurping it out of my cupped palm. I need to buy the plastic bottles so I can teach him to "drink" from the bottle!

I had a Paint filly once that ate a cheese-stuffed hot dog and really seemed to enjoy it, but the only other one that ever took meat was Puppy last year at a show. He was practically begging as I was eating my Bacon, Egg and Cheese Biscuit from McDonald's. He promptly spit it out and put his head in the corner of his stall, and it took three different flavors of Starburst to lure him out. Lemon and orange didn't work, but strawberry cured him of his bacon-induced funk.

Ambrey
May. 5, 2009, 06:50 PM
Mine adore candy canes, but I usually use peppermint horse treats and they love those too.

Pirateer
May. 5, 2009, 06:53 PM
Current horse only gets cookies and carrots/apples.

Past equine buddies have been big fans of Peeps (naturally) as well as V-day Conversation Hearts.
I've also done peppermints and sugar cubes.
(Works nicely in case my bloodsugar gets low)

A good friend had good-n-plenties and I told her I was aghasted that she'd waste such delicacies on ponies :)

fabuleux
May. 5, 2009, 11:01 PM
The lady who owns the horse I ride now is CONVINCED the horse will colic if he gets anything other than carrots, apples, or horse treats. :lol:

The old horse I rode got EVERYTHING I ate- Salt and vinegar chips, gummi worms, etc. He loved them! :yes:

Renn/aissance
May. 6, 2009, 12:31 AM
A short list of Tip's favorite candies and other assorted nummies:

Sugar cubes (melt in their mouths, not in my hands; OK to give with a bit in)
Wintergreen mints
Gummies of all description (they glue his teeth shut for about a minute as he chews, so I get some peace ;) )
Jelly beans (low calorie!)
Licorice
Ginger snaps (not terribly unhealthy)
Frozen grapes
Chilled watermelon (especially if it is in my hand and I'm about to take a bite)
Dried fruit slices--apples, apricots, raisins, mango...
Altoids
Hard pretzels (to make pretzels even better, dip them in honey or molasses.)
Conversation hearts (once he ate those, I really started to worry if he had a problem)
Candy corn
Popsicles
Oatmeal raisin cookies
Oatmeal cream pies
Cereal--Cheerios of any description, Special K, Cornflakes, and Corn Pops are a real hit
Anything that I have in my hand that I want to eat but that he can get to faster than I can

His absolute favorite, though, is carrots. They are like pony crack. After one carrot, he contorts himself into positions previously thought impossible, looking for another one. I've really gotten to be a bit concerned about his addiction. Is there a 12 Step program for carrots?

Soylent Green is people!

Whimsically Smart
May. 6, 2009, 01:26 AM
My mare Smartie is very polite and will try anything once, funny thing is, she is very picky with anything other than fruit or carrots. She loves plums and peaches (I have to cut them for her though :( ) pears, grapes, apples, oranges, grapefruit, banana, pretty much anything healthy ;).

My other mare Whinny eats more than Smartie does, but sniffs stuff to no end to see if she'll eat it. She loves the syrup from the individual canned fruit things, she'll drink it off a spoon.

*JumpIt*
May. 6, 2009, 01:38 AM
My mare is so picky. When I first got her she would only eat carrots and wouldn't even try anything else. Finally I shoved a peppermint in her mouth and clamped it shut, she fussed a little until she realized how yummy it was. :lol:

Now she'll come galloping accross the pasture at the crinkle of a wrapper. She is terribly dainty with her apple eating, takes smaller bites than me. :rolleyes:

laskiblue
May. 6, 2009, 01:48 AM
My mare likes granola bars from the 99 cent store that come 6 in a box. Either apple crunch or oat & honey make her happy, and I can snack on one too in a pinch. I tried soft peppermints with her and she found them revolting. Imagine getting a slimy peppermint ball *pffftteed* at you. :)

War Admiral
May. 6, 2009, 06:23 AM
I don't spoil Quattro, who is a baby greenie in training, anywhere NEAR as much as I spoiled HRH Avery, who was an exquisitely well-trained elder statesman. In my book, these things have to be earned.

Quattro gets a Dumor for being a good boy, and a few of them thrown in his play toy in his stall overnight so he doesn't get bored. (And boy does he remind me if I forget those! He'll even break off eating his dinner to rattle his empty toy and remind me!)

That's it. I keep telling him when he's as good as HRH Avery, he'll get what HRH Avery got. He knows. ;)

RumorHasIt
May. 6, 2009, 11:29 AM
Individually wrapped peppermint lifesavers (you should see the antics when I crinkle a wrapper!)

Crinkling a wrapper is a no no in my barn. I was giving my horse one of those uncle jimmys stud muffin treats and of course all the horses that would hear the wrapper went nuts and started kicking and screaming. I don't have enough money to supply everybodies horses. :no: If I want to give him one of those I have to take it out of the crinkle package before I get in there. I've got a bunch of crinkle wrappers in my car. I have to clean them all out, it's a mess. :lol: So no crinkly lifesavers for me!

Indy
May. 6, 2009, 11:57 AM
My old Pony Club horse was a huge fan of Good-n-Plentys. They never did rot his teeth and he ate them for almost 30 years. It took me until he was about 6 or 7 to figure out he loved them so much. I never had a box I didn't share with him! A straight suger and licorice buzz is tough to beat!

SCFarm

I used to care for a pony who was obsessed with Good N Plenty. We used to show him on the line and shake a box of the GNPs to get his ears forward. In the picture of him showing at Devon as a 2 year old, if you look closely, you can see a purple box sticking out of his mouth. He went into the ring, grabbed onto the box, and stood perfectly square and still the entire time all while sucking on his box of candies. Poor overwhelmed baby needed his pacifier!

Now the critters mostly get mints I've taken from restaurants. Except the ones from the Mexican place that taste like Pina Colada and not spearmint (they look like the green starlight mints...). They have been labeled yucky by the equines - and the humans.

hosshopper13
May. 6, 2009, 05:17 PM
I have to keep the following items in stock because of the high demand: beer (Heineken, in particular), peppermints, pop rocks, teddy grahams (all flavors), peeps (only the pink ones, all other colors have all been rejected!) and apples.

RomeosGirl
May. 6, 2009, 05:44 PM
I had a Paint filly once that ate a cheese-stuffed hot dog and really seemed to enjoy it, but the only other one that ever took meat was Puppy last year at a show. He was practically begging as I was eating my Bacon, Egg and Cheese Biscuit from McDonald's. He promptly spit it out and put his head in the corner of his stall, and it took three different flavors of Starburst to lure him out. Lemon and orange didn't work, but strawberry cured him of his bacon-induced funk.
Ok, if we are talking about things other than sweet, I made the mistake once of giving one of my horses a bite of my soft taco (he would not leave me alone while I was eating it near his stall). Well he was hooked. It got so bad I could not bring tacos down the barn aisle:yes: He did not care what part of the taco either, the meat, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream GIVE IT TO ME!!

Vesper Sparrow
May. 7, 2009, 06:45 AM
English (Rito's) mints. The mare loves the white ones but won't touch the green or pink ones--she thinks I'm trying to poison her.

They are cheap and I'm not tempted to eat them.

Gelding will eat almost anything.

Vixenish
May. 7, 2009, 12:57 PM
Frosted mini wheats!

Dressage Art
May. 7, 2009, 12:59 PM
My friend's hard-to-catch horse became addicted to anything with anise in it - he would come running when she showed up. I tried them and it was the same thing - addiction.

what does have "anise" in it?

I tried Jelly R. and my mare spit them out.

Maya01
May. 7, 2009, 01:06 PM
I know a horse that like frosted flakes :lol:

Black licorice (DON'T FEED RED) is good, banana's, grapes, oatmeal cookies, scotch mints (white, therefore doesn't make the horse look like something who enjoys fresh, raw meat of any sort) jelly beans, life savers, and joly ranchers hard candy :D

harveyhorses
May. 7, 2009, 01:10 PM
Butter rum lifesavers, beer. Do NOT leave one on a fence post. DH thought it was fun to teach him to drink out of a bottle when he was a baby, but it came in handy when he got bit on the nose by a copperhead and could not put his lips together.
Shrimp. That was not intentional

Hunter Mom
May. 7, 2009, 01:12 PM
Peanut Brittle - pony loves it!

Pirateer
May. 7, 2009, 06:12 PM
My eq horse once took a MickeyDee's sausage biscuit from me.

I told him it was made from his brother who didn't perform.

Parker_Rider
May. 7, 2009, 06:31 PM
My eq horse once took a MickeyDee's sausage biscuit from me.

I told him it was made from his brother who didn't perform.

:lol: snorted all over my computer.. and I'm in class!!

My first horse, an OTTB adored Dr. Pepper. He'd tolerate diet coke/coke/etc, but he'd go nuts for DP. He also liked cheeseburgers and pizza (like someone else said, especially when it's in my hand and I'm ready to eat it). Any kind of fruit or any food item that he could steal... He was a garbage disposal!!

Alternatively my filly will only eat peppermints. She'll spit out Mrs. Pastures after she's gotten a peppermint and will refuse to eat anything else until you procure a mint for her to chomp on. She doesn't like to experiment, as far as she's concerned she wants what she wants and that's the end of it. If you don't have a mint, she doesn't want anything.

The mare goes bonkers for the fruit roll up things that SLT used to sell. She will try anything once though.

My gelding is pretty standard in that he'll eat things meant for horses and mints. He also LOVES popcorn. He can't have it, because I'm so afraid he'll choke or it'll get stuck somewhere, but if he can sneak it, he will.

Empressive Award
May. 8, 2009, 09:39 AM
The lady who owns the horse I ride now is CONVINCED the horse will colic if he gets anything other than carrots, apples, or horse treats. :lol:

The old horse I rode got EVERYTHING I ate- Salt and vinegar chips, gummi worms, etc. He loved them! :yes:

Mine east salt n' vinegar chips too!

Her favorite by far is her box of frosted mini wheats that must be in the barn at all times. She also enjoys peppermints and goes nuts when she hears the plastic wrapper, and she'll do anything for applesauce. She has a stash of individual cups just for her in the barn.

She apparently thinks my dog tastes good too because whenever she's at the barn, my horse enjoys chasing her around and licking her. I guess its mutual because the dog licks her too!