PDA

View Full Version : Am I being presumptous?

magnolia73
May. 4, 2009, 12:50 PM
My horse goes best getting work 6 days a week. She is pretty green over fences, but to just get on her and hack- she is simple, kick along quiet. I want to only ride 4-5 days a week, and no $ to pay trainer for extra rides. My friend rides her once a week as time allows.

Sooo.... there are a gaggle of kids at the barn and one girl is quite good. Trainer suggested I ask her, so fine, she is riding the horse. Great. I am assuming that it is a "treat" at that age to get an extra horse to ride on occasion. And not factoring in paying her.

But then I see on another topic- people getting $15-20 to hack a horse. I kind of feel like it's "free" experience, I'm not expecting training, not telling her what to do. Under what circumstances should you pay a barn kid to ride your horse? I don't want to offend these people....

hideyourheart03
May. 4, 2009, 12:58 PM
Is she making a special trip out just to do your horse? Or is she simply tacking one on to her list?

If it's the first one, it might be nice to give her gas money every once and a while, but if it's the second, I would assume that she would do it as a "treat". Just my opinion. I've been that kid and always was happy to do one more if I was already at the barn.

twobays
May. 4, 2009, 12:59 PM
If the kid is willing to do it for free, then obviously they're fine getting paid in experience. Unless she comes to you asking for money, don't sweat it.

Thomas_1
May. 4, 2009, 01:01 PM
Is she's doing you a favour and saving you work then pay her something.

Even if it's payment in gifts.

Lou-Lou
May. 4, 2009, 01:04 PM
I agree with maybe some gas money if she's having to make a special trip...otherwise, she's lucky to get another ride.

Remmah
May. 4, 2009, 01:05 PM
I second that. There is no riding experience that can't be a learning one, and regardless its still more time on a horse. Especially if this is a junior, she should be happy to have another horse to ride. It would be nice, though, if she does it regularly and is responsible and good to the horse, if some small form of appreciation is shown at some point, such as gas money or a small gift.

Trixie
May. 4, 2009, 01:05 PM
As a junior, I would've done it for free. As an amateur, I'd certainly do it for free :lol:

If, however, you feel that you're benefiting from her riding, ask trainer what is appropriate.

Indy
May. 4, 2009, 01:07 PM
I think that the experience for a kid is what they should be getting paid in, not money. Extra saddle time should be reward enough.

And if you like how the kid rides your horse, a little thank you gift every now and then would probably be very appreciated (but not expected). Like a $20 gas card if the kid drives, or buy her lunch sometimes. Sometimes little tokens go a long way in saying "I really appreciate you helping me out with Trigger." Doesn't have to be expensive to be appreciated.

HowDoILook
May. 4, 2009, 01:12 PM
I ride a few of the others boarders horses at my barn for them because they need their horses ridden and they cant come to the barn for some reason. I dont get paid by these people, because I just like riding there horses to get experience on other horses than my own. Every now and then Ill get a thank you gift such as a gift card to a tack shop, or an extra special birthday/Christmas gift. Sometimes if they go to a show they will let me do a class or 2 on the horse, which is probably my favorite thing.

But every now and then a little thank you note from the owner makes me feel good and they appreciate me riding their horse.

magnolia73
May. 4, 2009, 01:14 PM
She's already at the barn, just a matter of adding one to the list.

She is saving me "work" but I used to save my friend work by riding her horse and felt like she was treating me to something nice by asking me to ride. A gift is a nice idea, again.... I'm a bit short on cash given the bad economy. (ie, I really can't afford to pay... or shop for something). Maybe I can give her a hand with barn chores- clean her tack or something.

I think I will let her know that if it is an inconvenience to let me know. It's just new to me that kids get paid to ride- but thinking back- my old barn had a kid that charged $30 to "train" people's horses.

Hunter Mom
May. 4, 2009, 01:15 PM
We ride each other's horses all the time. When someone is hurt, out of town, busy with work/school, etc. No one ever thinks of paying for it. It is just kind of "barn karma."

twobays
May. 4, 2009, 01:18 PM
She's already at the barn, just a matter of adding one to the list.

She is saving me "work" but I used to save my friend work by riding her horse and felt like she was treating me to something nice by asking me to ride. A gift is a nice idea, again.... I'm a bit short on cash given the bad economy. (ie, I really can't afford to pay... or shop for something). Maybe I can give her a hand with barn chores- clean her tack or something.

A hand written thank you is always nice and well appreciated.

I don't know your financial situation and I don't want to pry, but if you show, buying her lunch (picking up a hamburger and a soda or whatever) is nice and shouldn't break the bank.

Beethoven
May. 4, 2009, 01:20 PM
When I was a kid, it was all fun and experince for me! Even now as a young professional I do not always get paid to ride horses as sale horses and such, but rather I get free lessons which are way more beneifical to me than money. I am riding a young horse in exchange for some new tall boots which I needed badly. To me I am still young enough that its about experince so when I do strike out on my own as a professional I can handle anything thrown at me.;)

phoenix mom
May. 4, 2009, 01:23 PM
My daughter is asked to ride horses if owners are unable to get out and is thrilled for the opportunity. It must be a horse that is at her level, no crazed killers, and the trainer lets people know if their horse is a good fit. She never gets paid but now and then a small present is given and it is appreciated but not expected. She is so happy to have the variety of rides and luckily is always happiest with her own sweet guy.

Tini Sea Soldier
May. 4, 2009, 01:35 PM
My horse goes best getting work 6 days a week. She is pretty green over fences, but to just get on her and hack- she is simple, kick along quiet. I want to only ride 4-5 days a week, and no $ to pay trainer for extra rides. My friend rides her once a week as time allows.

Sooo.... there are a gaggle of kids at the barn and one girl is quite good. Trainer suggested I ask her, so fine, she is riding the horse. Great. I am assuming that it is a "treat" at that age to get an extra horse to ride on occasion. And not factoring in paying her.

But then I see on another topic- people getting $15-20 to hack a horse. I kind of feel like it's "free" experience, I'm not expecting training, not telling her what to do. Under what circumstances should you pay a barn kid to ride your horse? I don't want to offend these people....

She's a kid. Most kids LOVE riding good horses... so let her just have the privledge of hacking your lovely mare, unless you're approached by trainer and/or parent about compensation.

Around the holidays, it's always nice to pick up a little something extra for the kid... just to say thanks and show your appreciation.

HARROLDhasmyheart
May. 4, 2009, 01:39 PM
She's a kid. Most kids LOVE riding good horses... so let her just have the privledge of hacking your lovely mare, unless you're approached by trainer and/or parent about compensation.

Around the holidays, it's always nice to pick up a little something extra for the kid... just to say thanks and show your appreciation.

I know that if I were that kid, I would be absolutely thrilled for the opportunity to ride another horse, and would do it for free! Granted, when at home I'm about 10 minutes from the barn so even if I had to make an extra trip just for said horse it wouldn't be a big deal. I agree about possibly giving a present or "thank you" around the holiday's, but for most horse crazy kids (shoot, people in general) extra rides are always welcomed and not expected to be paid.

RugBug
May. 4, 2009, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't pay her. Nor would I feel bad about not paying her. You're both benefitting. Just be sure to emphasize that if/when it becomes an inconvenience, she needs to let you know.

I had a kid riding for me (re-hab riding...so really not fun) during the summer. She enjoyed it (my horse is much nicer than what she normally rides...even when it's just re-hab trotting). She let me know that she didn't have time after school started again. Worked out just fine.

I'm also the type that doesn't pay if I need someone to take care of my horse for a few days (within reason). You know, feed, blanket, maybe longe...ride if they are on the 'approved list'. Then when they need someone to take care of their horse, I'm available. I call it being neighborly...something society has sort of lost touch with.

Phaxxton
May. 4, 2009, 01:50 PM
If she's happy with the arrangement and you're happy with the arrangement, then don't worry about it. :yes:

Gwendolyn
May. 4, 2009, 01:57 PM
I agree with the majority of posts here. I started out by riding EVERYTHING I could, for free. I even got an amazing opportunity to ride a horse for a year while the owner was in Canada - AND I had to do HER share of barn chores! :lol: (the horse was crazy and could've killed me - I was 16 - but I LOVED him and was ecstatic to get the offer!) He was an OTTB, and a very difficult ride, but he taught me a LOT.

I never got paid, and probably got a nice Christmas gift or something similar.

I agree with the person that said to help out with her barn chores (as we all know, EVERYONE is strapped for cash right now!). You mentioned she rides other horses (not in lessons)? If you are there when she rides, maybe help her tack/cool off/bathe those horses. Or help clean her tack? I know the girls where I used to work LOVED 7-11 slurpies in the summer, maybe pick her up one on the way to the barn one day (search around in your car for change - I found $2.50 to buy my boyfriend a sonic slush the other day! :lol:).

As far as whether you SHOULD pay her or not, unless she is getting paid to ride other's horses (trainer should be able to tell you), or she is actually TRAINING the horse, a small token of appreciation should do the trick. ;)

findeight
May. 4, 2009, 02:37 PM
That other post is from an adult asked directly by the owner to ride a sometimes difficult horse that not everybody can ride...even then skills come into question in determining what, if anything, is to be paid.

This is just extra hacks suggested by the trainer with a barn kid and not customarily something the kid would be paid for. If it's a decent horse, they should be paying you to ride it.

And, no, I do not pay for barn kids to hack my nice horse-and they give me little gifts for the priviledge along with lots of thank yous.

SaturdayNightLive
May. 4, 2009, 02:53 PM
When I was a junior and a working student I picked up quite a few extra rides, all of them for free. I was just happy to have the opportunity to get more experience. Trainers get paid to ride horses, juniors and ammys don't.

indygirl2560
May. 4, 2009, 03:17 PM
When someone asks me to hack out a horse I don't expect payment; I consider it another great opportunity to get more riding time in, especially if it's a really nice horse. I'll ride pretty much any horse I can! My trainer is always asking me to hack out people's horses and I consider it a priviledge. On the other hand, if someone asks me to do a schooling/training session on their horse, I expect payment.

Punkie
May. 4, 2009, 03:31 PM
I have a few of the different barn kids hack for me when I can't get out. I have a fair number of horses and not a lot of time, so this happens at least once a week or so. They don't expect ANYTHING, but I'll often buy them a Joules shirt or something for their horse(s) or if there are other non-horsie things I know they like, I'll do that too. However, I am a college student, so depending on what part of the month it is, the funds might not always be readily available, so I'll sometimes bake them cookies or take them for ice cream. All are greatly appreciated :)

As a junior, I never expected any type of compensation, and as an ammy - even though I do hop on other people's horses when I have a free moment, I would never expect anything (just a thank you!) either.

May. 4, 2009, 04:21 PM
I think as long as you both understand what the arrangement is (as in, she doesn't think you will be paying her), payment is certainly unnecessary!

If she is willing to do it for free, and you are willing to let her ride your horse for free, then super!

If you were doing a partial lease, someone would be paying YOU for those 1-2 rides a week. Yes, the kid is doing a favor by exercising your horse for you, but you're also doing her a favor by letting her ride. ;) As a kid, I would have been beyond thrilled at such an arrangement. Heck, as an older-than-kid without a horse I STILL would be.

Payment is nice, but IMO quite often isn't necessary. After all, you're paying for the horse's upkeep.

Pony+ an inch
May. 4, 2009, 05:19 PM
If she's hacking the horse regularly enough and actually helping add "training"/mileage to the horse--say, you or trainer want the horse to work on its lead changes and she helps with that--then a little payment (doesn't have to be money) and a thank you when all is said and done and she's no longer hacking the horse I believe to be appropriate. I found it frustrating when I would help put training and mileage over a period of time on the greenies and not get a word and/or token of appreciation from the owner. I completely understand the experience is the reward, but if a person is taking the extra time to work with the horse and do something productive/proactive apart from exercise, there should be some gratitude.

That being said, any junior should be thankful for the rides they get! I learned a lot helping work the greenies and sale horses.

Beau Cheval
May. 4, 2009, 06:37 PM
never. I mucked, woke up at 5 to feed, groomed, cleaned wounds, did water buckets, dragged hay about 1/2 a mile to various paddocks, held for the farrier--all in the hot summer when I could've been at the beach (had that been my foremost desire. Personally it is secondary to horses, but for the sake of argument let's disregard that cute little tidbit. :winkgrin:) And THEN, my trainer asked if I had time to ride a rescue horse, a horse that could only walk and trot short spurts perhaps, or one that put his head between his legs when asked to canter and leaned on your hands without steering: I rode, smiled, said thank you, bathed, grazed, put back, and cleaned the tack.
This is my HUGEST pet peeve. There are plenty of juniors out there who deserve to ride your horse. There are NONE that deserve to be payed for it. If you want to from the bottom of your heart, then whatever. Not my issue, but they should not, under any circumstances, be expecting to be payed, or even expecting compensation. They are incredibly lucky for the opportunity and they should be extremely thankful. And therefore, you, as the benevolent owner of a lovely horse who you are kind enough to allow a, I'm sure, lovely junior to ride on occasion, have no obligation, moral or otherwise,, to pay said rider anything.
Can we tell I am having a huge issue finding horses to ride? :lol:

p.s. On the other hand, everyone could use a nice ice tea/hot chocolate/slurpee on occasion =)

HunterJumper106
May. 4, 2009, 06:42 PM
I would say that if it is just hacking your horse and she isn't making special trips it is definitely "free experience"--especially if she isn't some well known A show rider. Maybe give her a gift (boot socks, treats for her horse, a Target/Starbucks gift card) after a month of rides or whenever you will not be needing her services anymore.

Gray Horse H/J
May. 4, 2009, 07:47 PM
From age 15 to about age 21 I rode several horses besides my own, and never made a dime off of it. I was absolutely delighted to be asked to ride, whether it was another boarder's horse, a sale horse, or a trainer's horse. Sometimes I even hopped on school horses if one needed to get out.

I just loved riding as much as I could, on anything I could. I always looked at it as a major compliment to my riding ability when I was given horses to ride.

I think a lot of people are the same way. My guess is she's a kid who's thrilled to be asked to ride someone else's horse.

There's a kid (14? somewhere around there) who has ridden my horse for me if I'm out of town for a few days. Nice kid, talented little rider. I think she was pretty excited to be asked to ride him. And no, I didn't pay her.

Now, if you were having someone more experienced than you get on and train on your horse every week, that would be different. I could see paying that person.

mep0726
May. 4, 2009, 10:22 PM
When I was a junior, I gladly hacked any horses that anyone asked me to! If the owner offered me money (especially if it was a greener horse or one that was more difficult to ride), I would accept it. However, I never asked to be paid. I rode a boarder's horse a few times a week for almost two years, and the owner would take me out to lunch every week.

IMO, unless the owner offers, pay is not mentioned. I enjoy riding any horse and use it as an opportunity to further develop my skills.

XenophonKnows
May. 5, 2009, 01:36 AM
OP - you've already heard from the majority. So, I'll pipe up with a minority suggestion. As the Adult in this situation, please provide a good example to this young rider by ironing out these kinds details up front, openly, and without hesitation. Instead of worrying about 'offending' anyone, and perpetuating a scenario of "I don't know what to do," please take the leading role in these kinds of situation and do not shy away from parts of the scenario you are unsure of, afraid to ask, etc.

Yes, I am sure the young lady is lucky to have another horse to ride. But you are an adult, please do not tip toe around like a shy teenager. Sorting out these details is really not over your head.

findeight
May. 5, 2009, 09:59 AM
Please ask the trainer what is customary for her barn. If it is not expected, it could start a bit of a stir as some owners-who came up earning rides with no pay or gifts themselves-decline to provide a free ride AND pay or give a gift for it.

In most show barns, when a finished horse is assigned to a kid, it's an extra ride for them and a priviledge they have to earn with hard work and improving riding skills. It is part of the whole "working student" idea. Hard work done with no expectation of reward other then rides on nice horses under the trainer's watchful eye.

This is a kick along pretty broke horse that just needs some excercise, not a better rider to iron out difficulties, and in that case it would fall to the trainer.

As a kid and young adult, I would kill for a nice ride instead of the POS types I got as extras-and said "thank you, he was fun". So I do feel strongly about it now that I am in a position to grant a kid a really nice ride on a really nice and finished horse.

magnolia73
May. 5, 2009, 10:43 AM
Yeah- last night the trainer said the teen enjoyed riding her, they got along, no expectation of pay. I'll make a point to do something nice- bring some snacks, lunch or something at some point. She's a pleasant horse- I would put pretty much any decent rider on her. You can WTC on the buckle, do dressage, hack out, cavaletti. I wouldn't call her a fancy, finished show horse- but she sure as hell isn't some ill-mannered nag that people want to avoid! :)

Honestly- when I asked for help- it never crossed my mind that kids/ammies would want to be paid. Then I saw a few topics here yesterday with people who seemed peeved or expecting of pay and then I remembered the other kid who charged at the western barn. Just wanted to make sure things hadn't changed that much since I was a kid. And now- thinking back- the horseless BM at my first barn charged $30 for a "fitness" ride and was at best a mediocre rider and scared of my horse and refused to ride her. LOL, how funny- getting your horse hacked is cheaper at a hunter barn!

It's a pretty casual barn, everyone seems to get being on a budget and it is nicely void of primadonnas. Just have been out of the hunter barn loop for awhile and not been in an environment with kids.

monty
May. 5, 2009, 01:04 PM
since when is riding a chore? and if it is, then ask someone else....
i believe riding someone else's horse is a privilege, unless the horse is really difficult, dangerous etc.
now riding for a pro is not a privilege because for the most part the pro is imparting his riding experience to the horse making it better. they cultivate their riding skills to the point that they can sell those skills for a price.
but for the average amateur or jr rider, how else do you get better if you do not ride that much or never experience riding horses other than your own? so therefore i think its a privilege that does not need to be rewarded with money. i agree you may want to get the kid a nice gift as a token of appreciation.