PDA

View Full Version : Lessons for a 4/5 year old in/near Gilroy, CA?

ZIL
May. 3, 2009, 09:23 PM
I am posting for a family member that just moved to Gilroy. Their daughter is 4, turning 5, and she caught the horse bug from me -- it is certainly contagious! Can anyone recommend a good lesson program for this age? Or even a summer camp? She has only ridden around on a leadline at the walk a handful of times, and enjoys brushing and feeding the horses. TIA!

MR
May. 4, 2009, 05:02 PM
Have you looked on BAEN (www.bayequest.com)? There is a listing of riding places (barns, trainers, etc) there that is more focused on the local community (Bay Area, including Gilroy).

I don't know of any beginner lesson programs specifically in Gilroy, but there are PLENTY of barns in the area. They may need to drive a bit, but should be able to find something. :)

There are also a ton of summer camps in the area - both general that include riding (like YMCAs) and full-time riding camps.

ZIL
May. 5, 2009, 01:15 AM
I was hoping someone had a personal recommendation. Well, it looks like I may have to make a special stable shopping trip for them. Ah, the sacrifices I make for my family...:lol:

tidy rabbit
May. 5, 2009, 07:39 AM
Try Nathan Stiles at Five Star Farms. He has a small child. I've taken a couple lessons from him and he's really nice and knows his stuff. I'll PM you his email address.

MR
May. 5, 2009, 01:59 PM
Try Nathan Stiles at Five Star Farms. He has a small child. I've taken a couple lessons from him and he's really nice and knows his stuff. I'll PM you his email address.

Nathan Stiles is no longer at Five Star - he left back at the end of last summer. Right now, the only trainer at Five Star is a dressage trainer.

MR
May. 5, 2009, 02:06 PM
I was hoping someone had a personal recommendation. Well, it looks like I may have to make a special stable shopping trip for them. Ah, the sacrifices I make for my family...:lol:

Sorry I can't give you a specific name. Here is a link to the local barns on BAEN - a good place to browse:
http://www.bayequest.info/Business/showBusi_47_76.htm

You should post on the BAEN forums - you'll get more responses regarding South Bay places there (not many of the folks in that area post on COTH).

If they don't find something they like right in the Gilroy area, there are a bunch of places for beginners/kids up on the Peninsula. Here are a couple that come to mind (based solely on their ability to have lesson horses for kids):
* Garrods (Saratoga)
* Glenoaks Equestian Center (Portola Valley)
* Springdown Equestrian Center (Portola Valley)

Honestly, 4 is a bit young to start lessons (IMHO). I know some trainers do allow it, so hopefully you will find someone. In my experience, kids really aren't ready to control a horse on their own until about age 6. That doesn't mean they won't enjoy being around horses, tho, so it's great that you are "feeding the addiction". :)

You might also contact DreamPower Horsemanship:
http://www.dreampowerhorsemanship.com/
They do a lot focused on therapy but are probably more prepared for such a youngster (since their horses are more used to riders who aren't controlling the horse on their own all the time). They are always looking for volunteers, too!

PM me if you find any specific places you want to ask about - I might be able to help more in that way. :)

ZIL
May. 6, 2009, 12:57 AM
I guess that a 5 year old is young for lessons. However, she is so interested in horses, I was hoping that there was some kind of program that worked with this age group, even if it was mostly horsemanship, grooming and a little bit of leadline. I will check out BAEN forums and see what comes up. Thank you.

Robby
May. 19, 2009, 01:49 PM
Check out:

www.GilroyGaits.com

might have what you are looking for ...

best of luck

-Robby

LovesHorses
May. 19, 2009, 10:18 PM
I was told Nathan leases stalls where John French has his barn in Gilroy. Not sure how to get that info other than from John's website at www.waldenbrookfarm.com

ZIL
May. 20, 2009, 01:45 AM
Check out:

www.GilroyGaits.com (http://www.GilroyGaits.com)

might have what you are looking for ...

best of luck

-Robby

Wow. I'm not sure if they have anything for my niece but it is quite a place!

HorseLovinGal
Jun. 1, 2009, 10:58 PM
Nathan Stiles is training at Waldenbrook in Gilroy by Leavesley and New. He has a website coming soon. You can email him at nathankstiles@msn.com . He is actively searching for new clients and has a current lesson horse (which would be suitable for a young rider) and is looking for another.

mew
Jun. 1, 2009, 11:02 PM
I would run not walk away from Spring down in my own opinion feel free to pm me for my reasons. Other than that I'm afaid I cannot help you although if you post this on the baen forum some one there will have a good recommendation.

thizzelledance
Jun. 1, 2009, 11:34 PM
I would run not walk away from Spring down in my own opinion feel free to pm me for my reasons. Other than that I'm afaid I cannot help you although if you post this on the baen forum some one there will have a good recommendation.

funny, i was just talking with a friend about how bad my experiences at spring down as a kid were. stay far, far away!

Stellar Moon Hunter Jumpers
Jun. 14, 2009, 11:56 AM
www.stellarmoonhunterjumpers.com

HorseLovinGal
Jun. 26, 2009, 02:35 AM
I wouldn't go to stellar moon.

panamafields
Jul. 6, 2009, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't go to stellar moon.

Why is this, may I ask?