PDA

View Full Version : Can you show as an Amateur Owner if you are half owner of a horse?

Couture TB
May. 3, 2009, 08:04 PM
So most of the horses that I ride I am part owner on. I have one that looks like he is going to be a hunter instead of an eventer. Can I show him Amateur Owner?

MHM
May. 3, 2009, 08:07 PM
Only if the other owners are members of your family.

You can show in Adult Amateurs on a horse you don't own, provided you meet the definition of an Amateur by USEF rules.

Couture TB
May. 3, 2009, 08:13 PM
Well I figured that I would get my Amateur card this year since I have not shown, trained, or given lessons for over 3 years.

Is there a reason that you can't own a horse with another person other then family and show it Amateur owner? I guess that just doesn't make sense since I do own part of him and train him.

poltroon
May. 3, 2009, 08:17 PM
It's so people don't sell you half of a horse for $1 so they can buy you a horse and pay all the expenses on it while you keep your amateur status.

Couture TB
May. 3, 2009, 08:24 PM
So I can show the horse's that I don't own in the Amateur and Amateur Trainer classes then?

No, I don't get money for them. Yes, I do own half of them and not just by $1;)

Lucassb
May. 3, 2009, 08:31 PM
So I can show the horse's that I don't own in the Amateure and Amateure Trainer classes then?

You can show any horse you want in the adult amateur classes (3') but you must own the horse outright or with members of your family in the A/O ring (at 3'6") ... there is no such thing as an "amateur trainer."

If you have worked as a professional at any time, you will need to apply for reinstatement with the USEF to reclaim an amateur status.

MissIndependence
May. 3, 2009, 08:33 PM
You can show any horse you want in the adult amateur classes (3') but you must own the horse outright or with members of your family in the A/O ring (at 3'6") ... there is no such thing as an "amateur trainer."

If you have worked as a professional at any time, you will need to apply for reinstatement with the USEF to reclaim an amateur status.

I also think that now - IF you show someone else's horse at a horseshow - you can no longer show in the Amatuer Owner divisions at all at that show.

Couture TB
May. 3, 2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks for all the help. Yes, I did work as a trainer, but not for quite a few years.

Never had to worry about figuring out what I could show as since I always trained and competed in eventing! :)

I figured the Hunters had Amateur Owner Trainer Rider classes, I do know that there are those at some breed shows.

heartinrye
May. 3, 2009, 09:18 PM
Amateur - there is no 'E' on the end.

If you do the A/A's you can show any horse, owned by any one. If you do the A/O's you must own 100% of the horse (within your family) and you can not ride or show another horse at that horse show.

Couture TB
May. 3, 2009, 09:39 PM
Fixed the spelling.

So do I get to keep my amateur status if the horse I own with another person sells since I profit from it?

I guess I read thru the rules (yes did go to the usef site) and they are confusing to me.

heartinrye
May. 3, 2009, 09:59 PM
Nope, you can sell the horse for whatever you wish!!

Pirateer
May. 3, 2009, 10:21 PM
Fixed the spelling.

So do I get to keep my amateur status if the horse I own with another person sells since I profit from it?

I guess I read thru the rules (yes did go to the usef site) and they are confusing to me.

I would call USEf on that one. I would think it would be a no.

Lucassb
May. 3, 2009, 10:26 PM
Fixed the spelling.

Yes, you can sell a horse at a profit and remain an amateur. What would trigger the pro definition is selling a horse as an AGENT - ie, for someone else.

poltroon
May. 3, 2009, 10:59 PM

The net, in the attempt to catch all the cheaters, catches a lot of honest fishes too.

mvp
May. 3, 2009, 11:11 PM
Gaellentquest-- is this the OTTB (stallion I think) you bought to event but made it clear he wanted to be a hunter? If so, I'm so glad you listened! Welcome to hunter world. I hope you can find a place to show him.

Couture TB
May. 4, 2009, 12:36 AM
Gaellentquest-- is this the OTTB (stallion I think) you bought to event but made it clear he wanted to be a hunter? If so, I'm so glad you listened! Welcome to hunter world. I hope you can find a place to show him.

Yup! Though I am still hoping he want's to be an eventer, I know he SCREAMS hunter. I just never thought that it would be such a hassel to show him hunters. I did some lower level GPs out east when I was pro, but that was many moons ago:lol:

Boy, do you guy's have a TON of rules about who can go in what and such!

Oh, and I am going to try him over some fences this week, so photos to come

Trixie
May. 4, 2009, 10:11 AM
Boy, do you guy's have a TON of rules about who can go in what and such!

We wouldn't, if so many people weren't so adament about showing where they don't belong - trust me, we don't like it either!

Am looking forward to photos.

hype
May. 4, 2009, 11:00 AM
If he hasn't show at 3'6" yet you could show him in the first year green hunters. There is no restrictions in that division. You will be showing against the pros though.

If he will stand on the line then you could also consider the first year green confirmation as well.

If he has shown 3'6" but not 3'9" yet then there is second years green and confirmation.

If he's not eligible for those you could do the working hunters at 4'. No restrictions on that. The hunter derbies are also open to you.

joiedevie99
May. 4, 2009, 11:17 AM
Quick rundown of the commonly available divisions. Others should feel free to add/subtract/correct...

Schooling/Suitable/Low - unrated divisions where specs are set by show management, but typically open to any rider and horse, height 2'-2'6" (lots of pros warm-up kids horses in these divisions)

Baby Green Hunters - unrated division open to any rider- typically restricted to horses in their first year of showing (fences 2'6")

Pre-Green Hunters- 3', open to any rider, not sure what current horse restriction is (never shown over 3'3"?) but I'm sure someone will fill it in for you. (horse is eligible for two years as long as you don't break status).

Adult Amateur Hunters -3' open to riders with USEF amateur card, no horse restrictions (Modified Adult Amateur Hunters is usually the same class but at 2'6")

Amateur Owner Hunters -3'3" or 3'6", open to amateurs who own their horse (or horse is owned by member of the same family). If you show in this division, there are additional restrictions in what other classes you can show in.

First Year Green Hunters - 3'6", open to any rider, horse must be in its first year of showing over 3'6" fences or higher

Second Year Green Hunters - 3'9", open to any rider, horse must be in its second year of showing over 3'6" or higher

Working Hunters - 4', no restrictions

Sing Mia Song
May. 4, 2009, 12:40 PM
Quick rundown of the commonly available divisions. Others should feel free to add/subtract/correct...

Schooling/Suitable/Low - unrated divisions where specs are set by show management, but typically open to any rider and horse, height 2'-2'6" (lots of pros warm-up kids horses in these divisions)

Baby Green Hunters - unrated division open to any rider- typically restricted to horses in their first year of showing (fences 2'6")

Pre-Green Hunters- 3', open to any rider, not sure what current horse restriction is (never shown over 3'3"?) but I'm sure someone will fill it in for you. (horse is eligible for two years as long as you don't break status).

Adult Amateur Hunters -3' open to riders with USEF amateur card, no horse restrictions (Modified Adult Amateur Hunters is usually the same class but at 2'6")

Amateur Owner Hunters -3'3" or 3'6", open to amateurs who own their horse (or horse is owned by member of the same family). If you show in this division, there are additional restrictions in what other classes you can show in.

First Year Green Hunters - 3'6", open to any rider, horse must be in its first year of showing over 3'6" fences or higher

Second Year Green Hunters - 3'9", open to any rider, horse must be in its second year of showing over 3'6" or higher

Working Hunters - 4', no restrictions

Hey, Joie, you should put this post in the H/J FAQ sticky. :yes: