PDA

View Full Version : Rule Question

xabbracadabra
May. 3, 2009, 06:37 PM
I was at a show over the weekend watching the Pre-Childrens go and noticed a rider who had been trying to do the Big Eq back in the Pre-Childrens. Is this legal? If it's now what could be done about it?

tyedyecommando
May. 3, 2009, 06:41 PM
The only divisions that have standardized rules about qualification are those recognized by the USEF. All the others depend on the specifications set by the individual shows.

MHM
May. 3, 2009, 06:42 PM
Pre-Childrens is not a recognized USEF division, so it depends what the specs say in the prize list.

Equitate.
May. 3, 2009, 06:45 PM
yes, it's technically legal- so long as it's at different shows (there may also be some restriction on blue ribbons depending on the class, I'm not sure)

The kid probably thought "hey I'll try to do the bigeq!" but when they realized they weren't ready they moved back down. There isn't anything really wrong with that, except that they may be a little too good for the prechildrens and ought to try the minis.
Better they move down than enter into a class they're grossly unprepared for.

xabbracadabra
May. 3, 2009, 06:47 PM
yes, it's technically legal- so long as it's at different shows (there may also be some restriction on blue ribbons depending on the class, I'm not sure)

The kid probably thought "hey I'll try to do the bigeq!" but when they realized they weren't ready they moved back down. There isn't anything really wrong with that, except that they may be a little too good for the prechildrens and ought to try the minis.
Better they move down than enter into a class they're grossly unprepared for.

They were doing the Big Eq for well over a year and ribboned at Old Salem

dghunter
May. 3, 2009, 06:53 PM
They were doing the Big Eq for well over a year and ribboned at Old Salem

Was it on the same horse? Even if it was the same horse could it be that the horse had an injury or something that caused them to go back down?

xabbracadabra
May. 3, 2009, 06:58 PM
Was it on the same horse? Even if it was the same horse could it be that the horse had an injury or something that caused them to go back down?

I didn't see the horse but I know the riders mother is one of the smaller area trainers and she had several horses she was riding last time I checked

dghunter
May. 3, 2009, 07:04 PM
I didn't see the horse but I know the riders mother is one of the smaller area trainers and she had several horses she was riding last time I checked

Perhaps it was a different horse then? Might be worth checking what the show rules say and looking into it if you are concerned at all?

mroades
May. 3, 2009, 07:06 PM
A lot of trainer's kids do green horses in the pre childs for mileage for the clients.....

xabbracadabra
May. 3, 2009, 07:12 PM
A lot of trainer's kids do green horses in the pre childs for mileage for the clients.....

But in the Eq? I could understand doing the hunters...

MHM
May. 3, 2009, 07:15 PM
Have you looked at the specs in the prize list? If it's not against the rules for that division, maybe you shouldn't worry about it.

mroades
May. 3, 2009, 07:28 PM
I didnt say it was tasteful or appropriate...lol...just that its probably legal

Duckz
May. 3, 2009, 07:32 PM
At our local C rated show, you can do pre-children's or pre-adult as long as you aren't jumping higher than 2'6" in any other class at that particular show. It doesn't matter what you've showed in the weekend before.

Linny
May. 3, 2009, 09:10 PM
Depends on the specs for the show and the local association.
Around here they are pretty "open" on the rules so the shows can make money.

hideyourheart03
May. 3, 2009, 11:02 PM
Honestly, if the kid was good enough to get a ribbon in the BigEq, maybe they/their mom invested in a talented youngster for them to bring up. In that case, it probably needs to start out in the 2'6" divisions. Not saying they needed to do the Pre-Children's per say, but just that that is where babies need to start.

Like everyone else said though, most of the time, as long as you're not doing it at the same show, there is little regulation in the Pre-Child/Adult divisions. I know an Ammy who did her horse unsuccessfully in the AOs and moved back down (all the way) to the Pre-Adults.