PDA

View Full Version : Hunter/Jumper barns near Warwick, NY

jmprchik
May. 3, 2009, 06:34 PM
delete

Angela Freda
May. 3, 2009, 09:24 PM
If I was interested in riding H/J, I would get myself to Willow Hill and lesson with Annette.

crystalacresponies
May. 5, 2009, 09:45 AM
Top Call Farm in Montgomery. Lisa O'Neill is the trainer. My daughter has ridden there for 4 years. Love it!

SBT
May. 6, 2009, 01:23 AM
Figure on a 30-45 min. drive each way to get to Willow Hill or Top Call in Montgomery if you truly are coming from Warwick. They are both very show-oriented though, so if you're looking to do the "A" shows, either one could be a good choice. Deb Lindemann's barn is also in Montgomery, but I'm blanking on the name...

Actually IN or very close to Warwick are Whisper Wind Farm (a little bit of everything, lots of kids, have their own schooling show series), The Stables at MiraBella ("A" shows, primarily jumpers, trainer rides with Chris Kappler I believe), Meadowood Farm (mostly dressage riders but they have jumps), Warwick Valley Stables & Equestrian Center (again a multi-discipline barn), Crystal Water Farm (hunter/jumpers, they do a few "A" shows I believe, plus their own schooling show series).

About 15-20 mins. away in Goshen, you have more choices: Drumnacross Farm and Foxhedge Farm are both VERY high-end, "A" show oriented facilities), as is Old Field Farm. Amelia Acres is another multi-discipline barn, much more laid back, no indoor arena. Victoria Farms is, I believe, a split between H/J and dressage. Hilltop Farm is into AQHA English/western stuff, but fully equipped with jumps.

These are just a few of your choices, and where you want to be will depend on what kind of showing you want to do, and of course how much you have to spend. There are many more barns within a reasonable driving distance, including some in the West Milford, NJ area, so feel free to be picky! ;) Don't plan on finding anything for much less than $500/mo. though, unless you want to do pasture board, which is usually $300-$400 when available.

wilkins2
May. 6, 2009, 11:18 PM
Oncourse Riding is only 30 min from warwick and has 3 trainers with experience from babies to top hunters and jumpers. Great care, check it out.

pm for more info!

Thanks,
Sheryl

rockmysocks222
May. 26, 2009, 08:34 PM
Check out The Stables at MiraBella. They always do well at all of the shows they attend. They just got a new,big client with a couple of hunters and a jumper. The girl does well with each of her horses and is always in the top ribbons on both the local and 'AA' circuit. They always look like they are having a great time!

jmprchik
Sep. 7, 2009, 06:51 PM
delete

SpicyMonarch
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:56 PM
Annette at Willow Hill is great. Linda Manicini is in Warwick and came reccomended to me when I was trainer shopping a while ago, but never was able to look into her.

How far are you willing to travel? Lucky C Stables is probably at least an hour from Warwick. Susan Clark is the owner and she has students all the way from the w/t on the local circuits to winning champion and reserve in the Novice and Limit Eq and the A/A hunters. Truly a great place.

Fahrenheit'91
Sep. 8, 2009, 05:58 PM
OnCourse looks like a nice facility but it doesn't look like the students go any further then 2'6" divisions. I am looking for a more competitive barn.

What? I'm absolutely confused... I board my jumper there, and we are competetive and winning in the 3'6 childrens/adult jumpers, and I'm definately not the only one! There are many people showing successfully in 3ft-3'3 hunters and equitation aswel... Katie has competed successfully through grand prix levels in jumpers, and has won numerous awards in the hunters and equitation rings. They are one of the most competetive barns in the area, going to 3 shows per WEEK... I personally am not able to attend as many shows as the barn goes to, but Katie is ALWAYS willing to go to any show you'd like, no matter what. She's one of the best trainers I've had in 10 years of riding, and she definately knows what she's doing...
I'm so confused by your statement, where did you ever get the idea that the students go any further than 2'6, and that they're not competetive?

jmprchik
Sep. 8, 2009, 06:44 PM
delete

Fahrenheit'91
Sep. 8, 2009, 06:49 PM
Just going by what the Show results are on the website. That's all. Perhaps you should have read them before responding as it seems your the one who is confused :D

Then if you have seen the show results, why do you believe that OCRA only shows at 2'6? The leader in points in the zone for pre-childrens 2'6 hunters shows multiple times a week, and is up there probably the most, but if you had read through the results you would have realized that it was a single rider...
So yes, I AM confused.

jmprchik
Sep. 8, 2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies, Willow Hill it is!

jmprchik
Sep. 8, 2009, 06:52 PM
I don't see any show results above 2'9". I guess she doesn't post those. :lol:

Then if you have seen the show results, why do you believe that OCRA only shows at 2'6? The leader in points in the zone for pre-childrens 2'6 hunters shows multiple times a week, and is up there probably the most, but if you had read through the results you would have realized that it was a single rider...
So yes, I AM confused.

Fahrenheit'91
Sep. 8, 2009, 06:54 PM
You're welcome to my youtube... maymayrox.
LOL.

jmprchik
Sep. 8, 2009, 06:58 PM
delete

Fahrenheit'91
Sep. 8, 2009, 07:01 PM
LOL. To each his own... I guess my USEF rankings aren't REALLY there afterall... ;)

wilkins2
Sep. 8, 2009, 07:35 PM
Have fun at Willow Hill! Maybe I will see you at the Rescue Benefit Show there next month. That is a nice show. What division will you be doing? Annette will enjoy having someone wanting to jump bigger, most of her kids do med and small ponies.

I had students board there for a few years, so I know everyone.

Best of luck.

S

number1withabullet
Sep. 8, 2009, 08:16 PM
jmprchik: Be aware that this forum is capable of being viewed by people who are non-members of the site (read: anyone who happens across it). Your condescending and judgmental attitude does not reflect well upon you; realize that a majority of local riders are computer-savvy. Many of the horses boarded at that facility and currently being shown are young/green animals, and it takes time and patience to lay down a correct foundation for a horse's training; an educated rider recognizes that and, more importantly, respects that. All levels of the rider spectrum are represented at that barn; not everyone can afford to go to shows with great frequency. If you are solely judging barns by posted show results, I truly wish you the best of luck.

Pandora1087
Sep. 9, 2009, 08:34 AM
Bullet, you are absolutely right that a lot of the horses that Katie and Sheryl are working with right now are young, and on their way up. I wish that I could go to all the shows that On Course goes to, but 1) I can't afford it, and 2) I have to work. I have been very successful at the 3' AA hunters, and I am at On Course. I started doing 2'6" this summer, because my horse is for sale and more marketable that way. I have shown up to 4'3" in the jumpers in the past, but on another horse. As was said before, Katie herself has competed successfully upto grand prix. Sheryl has brought many hunters along very well, and trained a girl to success in the low jr/A/O jumpers. Just going off a website isn't always the best thing. I wish you luck at Willow Hill. There is no one there competing at anything bigger than 2'6" either. No matter what they tell you. I know that for a fact. They also don't go to many shows outside of their barn, and those are mostly schooling shows. (and to Vermont for one show). Good Luck!

jmprchik
Sep. 9, 2009, 12:45 PM
delete

Angela Freda
Sep. 9, 2009, 02:04 PM
I wish you luck at Willow Hill. There is no one there competing at anything bigger than 2'6" either. No matter what they tell you. I know that for a fact. They also don't go to many shows outside of their barn, and those are mostly schooling shows. (and to Vermont for one show). Good Luck!

I happen to know a couple people who board at WHF and they show well above 2'6"
The thing is, just because a farm may not have several showing above X doesn't mean that they are not capable of training horse and rider to do so. It may just reflect their current client base is full of riders coming up the ranks, or that riders with limited budgets this year are choosing not to do the bigger shows.

wilkins2
Sep. 9, 2009, 07:20 PM
Actually Angela, that is the point. At Oncourse we have a few very active students showing at 2'6" but there are others that show higher. Doesn't mean that either farm can't train riders to higher levels. I agree that Annette is really good and could train and has trained much higher levels.

I think that the op is just looking to stir up trouble.

lovegreenhorses
Sep. 9, 2009, 07:57 PM
My advice when looking for a barn is to go and visit them and if you have the time take a lesson. Some even offer a free trial lesson. You really don't know how it will be till you try it out and see how you fit.

Angela Freda
Sep. 9, 2009, 08:26 PM
Actually Angela, that is the point. At Oncourse we have a few very active students showing at 2'6" but there are others that show higher. Doesn't mean that either farm can't train riders to higher levels. I agree that Annette is really good and could train and has trained much higher levels.

I think that the op is just looking to stir up trouble.
Sheryl, you'll see from my post that I was not speaking to the OP but Pandora who was kinda' dissing WHF.

Pandora1087
Sep. 10, 2009, 02:10 PM
Angela, I was not trying to bad mouth Willow Hill in any way. I loved my time there, and had a great experience. My horse got great care, and I miss everyone there a lot. I also think that Annette is an awesome trainer. I do agree with you, and I guess it didn't come across, that just because the students showing are only at 2'6" does not mean that the trainer can't teach higher. Being that I was at Willow Hill for a few years, and only left a short time ago, I spoke from experience. They do not do many rated shows, and they do not have many, if any students at upper levels. I must say again that I was not, nor will I ever bad mouth that barn. I love Annette and Denise, they are great and caring people. I do believe that OP is not a real client, now that she has erased everything, and it is someone fishing. Good luck whoever you are!