View Full Version : M Toulouse saddles

May. 3, 2009, 07:12 PM
Sorry for yet another saddle thread but...

I just started thinking about trading in my current saddle for one that puts me in better position on my horse. I am not in a position to spring for custom but want to find a reasonably (read under $1k) priced saddle with nice leather that fits us both. I came across several M. Toulouse saddles that I really liked. 3 different models actually.

My question - has anyone ever had one, did you have any issues with them, how did they wear? The leather is really really soft, which I like, but I worry it will not wear as well.

Thanks for any insight.

May. 3, 2009, 07:18 PM
Do a search for Toulouse to get many opinions.

I'm not sure they are the best under 1K saddle. I have seen my share with spider cracks in the soft leather. I don't know how these saddles were cared for. But Toulouse saddles tend not to fit horses really well. If the saddle fits you and your horse, great! If you want one that will be likely to fit many, you might do better to keep looking.

May. 3, 2009, 07:39 PM
I did a search as suggested adn there's a lot. Thanks

May. 3, 2009, 08:35 PM
I have ridden in CWDs my whole life and when the time came to get another saddle, I didnt really have the financial means to buy another CWD. So, after a while of searching, I found just a general M. Toulouse and absolutely LOVED it! They wear out faster than high-end saddles but at the price, you could afford to buy one every year!

They are extremely comfortable and fit all my horses extremely well! (just like the CWD!!)

May. 3, 2009, 11:40 PM
mvp and half-baked, which model(s) were you seeing that are wearing out? There appear to be at least 2 higher end models (Padjette and one other), and the others appear to be lower end with lower end leather.

May. 3, 2009, 11:47 PM
A boarder at my barn had a M. Toulouse that she bought used. She loved it! Never had any problems with it fitting her horse, and it seemed to be in excellent shape for being used. She has since left, but was still satisfied with the saddle (which she had for almost 1 year).

If you are looking for a saddle under $1k, I recommend the Dover Circuit saddles. I can't remember the model, but I got one of the pricier ones (they're all under $1k though) and its fits both me and my horse great, as well as any other horses I have put it on (from fat ponies to skinny TBs). It has also held up very well, as I've had it for three years and never had a problem with it.

May. 4, 2009, 12:08 AM
JB-- Yes, I did see an older one that had belonged to a trainer. It certainly had some miles on it. I don't know which model, as Toulouse (like others) seem to create new ones all the time.

What bothered me about this saddle and the others I had seen was the very hard foam panels. They would fit some horses but were quite unforgiving to the backs they weren't meant for. The other problem with this saddle was the incredible "spider cracks" all over the thin leather used on the seat and knee rolls. I think there is better and worse versions of the "soft" but fragile calf so many manufactures want to include now. When I look at saddles using calf skin, I get picky. Its fragile, so that leather is one place that corners should not be cut.

May. 4, 2009, 09:23 AM
I have two clients with M talouse saddles, different models.

Both are balanced well and fit their horses.

I could not tell you how they wear because they are less than a year old, but the owners take care of them.

I will tell you that my personal saddle, which has been on a 1000 (well not quite, but it feels like it:lol:) horses, spent hours in the sun, the rain, the dust, dropped, moved and was made from a very soft leather, has spider cracking on the seat, and the edge of the padded flap. It is 9 years old, a Bruno Pinet and I ride in jeans all the time.

I think the "wear" part is relative to it's use and care. I am not familiar with the Circuit saddles.
I am not sure of the price, but I did sit in a young woman's HDR Rivella a few years ago and was a bit impressed. For the money, and if it fits your horse I think the M.Talouse are a fair saddle.

May. 4, 2009, 03:00 PM
I have an M. Toulouse saddle, and I love it (I have the Celine). I've had it not quite a year, and it is in great shape. It is VERY comfortable. I have found this saddle to fit quite a few horses.

I also have a friend who had one for a few years - it wore well. She sold it used (2 years, I think) and got a good amount out of it.

May. 4, 2009, 10:56 PM
I have had the M Toulouse Padgette for about a month now. I needed to purchase a Wide tree saddle for my horse, and this was the best saddle for the price. It took in alot of oil, and could still take more. It is very comfortable and broke in in about 10 rides.

May. 4, 2009, 11:09 PM
I was considering buying an m toulouse when I was in the market for saddles, but then I came across a BEAUTIFUL circuit in the dover basement, broken in, one of the more expensive models for cheap cheap. The leather is so grippy and the seat is super comfortable. You can find some great circuits in the basement, but I will agree that I HATE the cheap circuits that are sold new. I also recommend HDRs, as they're super comfy. My advice would be look for a good circuit in the dover basement if you have a local dover saddlery, or go to your local tack shop and see what they have there that's used.

May. 4, 2009, 11:18 PM
I tried a Toulouse last year, and loved how it fit me, but not how it any of my horses. I found the gullet to be quite narrow, and difficult to fit. I tried the wide and extra wide, and the gullet was only slightly wider with the size being primarily adjusted in the panels. The result was a saddle that still sat a little too close to his spine, and panels that hung off his back. Just some food for thought. That's only one person's experience, so if it fits your horse, go for it. Its really nice leather for the price!