PDA

View Full Version : My new project (by Shine) Opinions please?

GallopGirl
May. 2, 2009, 06:42 PM
My new project horse is getting vetted as I type. I'm crossing my fingers it all goes well. I'm picking him up this coming weekend, like a week from today. I'm so excited, I can't wait!! He's by Shine (aka Alesi) and a Dutch warmblood mare. He's 5 years old, and was started under sadde about 6 - 8 months ago. Would love to hear what you all think of him. Hunter? Eq? I'm leaning toward eq.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpkqISwI-8o

Queen Latisha
May. 2, 2009, 06:48 PM
Very nice.:D

KateKat
May. 2, 2009, 06:56 PM
can I haz? :)

Jumpersluck
May. 2, 2009, 07:47 PM
He looks great! Very pretty mover, and those flying lead changes!!!! :] congrats and good luck!

HARROLDhasmyheart
May. 2, 2009, 07:52 PM
Aww he's very cute. Good luck with him and keep us updated!

GallopGirl
May. 3, 2009, 12:52 PM
OK... so just got the call from one of my friends who is there with the vet... so wish I could be there. Oh well. Anyway, they did flexsions and blocks, and he looks great. They had x-rays on his front from 6 months ago, and it all looks great. I'm having him shoot the back, including hocks and stifles. Don't have those read yet, but hopefully it will be good since has no noticable issues with flexsion. Only one problem... teeth in bad need of a float. So he's getting floated right now, and then I'm still waiting to hear on the results of the x-rays. I'm just crossing my fingers. Yay!!

tikihorse2
May. 3, 2009, 01:24 PM
It's always so nerve-wracking!!! I'm glad he looks good so far. Good luck!!! :)

Kim

Mayaty02
May. 3, 2009, 04:38 PM
wow he's gorgeous! I think he could go either hunter or eq, depending on how handy he is when he gets more experience and over the bigger jumps. He's certainly attractive enough :)

Justice
May. 3, 2009, 06:28 PM
Congratulations... he is fabulous!

Underdog
May. 3, 2009, 07:28 PM
Who's the mare?
I weigh more on the *mum* in the end. And of course, the Dutch are much.
;-)

Bucky One
May. 4, 2009, 10:12 AM
Go for EQ but also could do hunters. I personally would do the jumpers and EQ with him--he seems like he could get out of some sticky situations just from the look of him. Pretty, pretty:yes: But, not having been to an A show in eons, I may be wrong. Doing jumpers could help you out in the tougher EQ classes though.;) Best of luck with him!!!

Gwendolyn
May. 4, 2009, 10:46 AM
Very Cute!! I love his expression, he looks very willing :)

I am curious though, why is he bent to the left when travelling right? both times in the video when he is tracking left he is counter bent. Not trying to put him down at all, just curious if you know why.

Dr. Doolittle
May. 4, 2009, 10:58 AM
Makes me want to breed my mare to Shine! :D

findeight
May. 4, 2009, 11:00 AM
He's nice, could go either way, Hunter or Jumper. Probably, anyway, from what you can see here he has a nice jump.

At only 6 months or so under saddle, I wouldn't worry about the right bend too much, the rider is not pulling on the outside rein to create it and the rider is doing a nice job but clearly not a pro.

He goes to the center of the fence and jumps straight on most of these.

Gwendolyn
May. 4, 2009, 11:07 AM
Ok, I stand corrected! I skipped over the part about him only being under saddle for about 6 months! Still very cute!

Petstorejunkie
May. 4, 2009, 01:10 PM
I think the horse shows loads of potential and natural talent. I also think he's VERY tolerant and forgiving. I think with a more effective rider and correct equitation this horse will just fall right into place.
Me not being a hunter rider my first thought was "why waste all that talent on the hunters?!" If he were mine i'd be looking at probably EQ and dressage.

GallopGirl
May. 4, 2009, 09:25 PM
OK, so just got the word from the vet. All looks good. He hasn't seen the x rays of the front feet, but read the report, and the report looks good. He should get those old x-rays within the next day or two. We did a full panel of blood work, so we'll get that back tomorrow, but don't expect to find anything of interest. The x-rays on the hinds looked completely clean, so that's a good sign.

Gwendolyn.. I originally saw that in the video and was worried there might be some sort of problem, but now that we're a month past that video, he does bend the other way. :) It is his stiff side, and when I did both of my test rides, he was a little slower to bend that way. I think it's just part of his green-bean-ness, but good eye! I appreciate the thoughts. I want to turn this guy in another 6 months and sell him for a decent price, so I want to make sure he's free of all blemishes.

Thanks for the opinions. I'll definitely keep you posted! Can't wait to see what he looks like u/s now that he's had his teeth done. He seems to have a decent mouth connection wise to the bit, so now that he's free from sharp points, hopefully he'll just get better and better.

Now what to do about shoes.. he's completely barefoot in that video, and has never had a set of shoes on in his life. Will probably get him done by someone reputable before he leaves Del Mar to get a good base set of shoes on him.

rabicon
May. 5, 2009, 09:04 AM
Very nice, and only 5. :cool: I likie alotie. :lol: I'll take him if he doesn't want to do either, he can be my dressage horse. ;) I say he could do either or. :yes: Depending on how he looks when the jumps get larger.

Petstorejunkie
May. 5, 2009, 09:57 AM
The horse moves beautifully without shoes, i'd leave him that way until there is an apparent need to change. Why spend the extra money if you don't have to?
My horse is an eventer, a TB, and barefoot.