PDA

View Full Version : Things non-horse people don't understand

snaffle635
Apr. 30, 2009, 10:02 PM
I was in a meeting at work with several men and me (female). They were talking about golf clubs. I don't golf, so I asked if people need custom golf clubs. Then I mentioned I recently ordered a custom saddle.

They said 'Custom saddle? Do you sit in a mold?'

How embarrassing!!!!

Couture TB
Apr. 30, 2009, 10:17 PM
Why you have to clean a horses sheath or udders

Why my horse needs a $400 Rambo winter blanket when I refuse to pay over $30 for a winter jacket of my own

Why I will give a horse as much time off for an injury as needed, but will gallop a horse with a cast on myself

Taking your hand to a person and gently asking them to 'move over' sometimes with a cluck if they are in the way

The horses getting weekly massages, regular chiro visits, and laser therapy when I have never had a massage *other then my husband* or had a chiro visit

Why I will spend hours cleaning the stable/tack/my horses when it is hard to even walk in the living room somedays

Can listen about other peoples horses or look at old videos or photos for hours but my eyes glaze over when they mention their children or their cruise trip

Thinking that horse's have a 'smell'

I could go on and on:lol:

dghunter
Apr. 30, 2009, 10:18 PM
I just got another "riding is a non-sport sport" the only athleticism is in the horse :rolleyes: They said it was just like NASCAR lol.

Anyways... I love talking to non horsey people about horsey things. I heard someone refer to reins as "strings" on Make Me a Supermodel :lol: BF once asked "But if you buy them as ponies aren't they cheaper?" :lol::lol:

supershorty628
Apr. 30, 2009, 10:20 PM
I have to do a paper for anatomy & physiology on all of the muscles used in an activity...it was originally going to be a group project, but when the teacher paired me with a girl who was going to write about sewing and justified the pairing as "they're similar activities," I had to just shake my head. My paper is going to be very, very in-depth.

eqrider1234
Apr. 30, 2009, 10:22 PM
The cost and seriousness involved in horses. Yes my horse costs more than a BMW, and yes every little thing has to be done a certain way.

rooroo8
Apr. 30, 2009, 10:31 PM
I love it, GaellentQuest, that your tack is beautiful and the living room, well, not so much. Me too (I won't leave the barn until every last bit of debris is swept from the aisle, but I'm lucky to sweep my kitchen floor once per week).

I mentioned something about my horse's blanket to someone at work last week and they just looked at me. I think they were thinking I tucked my horse into bed each night.

Many non horsey friends of mine are surprised to learn my horses have personalities. They completely understand their dogs have unique personalities but can't fathom that in a horse.

Couture TB
Apr. 30, 2009, 10:39 PM
roo-

Yup, I can honestly say that I usually won't let anyone in our apt! But unless it is the coldest of the months *ie when it gets -40 here* the stable is clean *oh and when I am not having surgery! and the woman who owns the place isn't working 16hr nights back to back:lol:*

I have had TONS of people not understand that the horses have different personalities. I tell them about say one of the younger ones, "oh ya, he is like a big dog, you can bring him in and love him up all you want" and then my TB " well no one will buy him for his personality! He is all work. Doesn't like brushing, doesn't like loving up. Pretty much he says Lets just work! Then leave me the heck alone!" he is happy as can be when he is working, but other then that :mad: :lol:

If you really want to confuse people refer to your horse's blanket as his rug. I have had people ask why I would put a carpet on my horse!

You sweep your kitchen once a week? Don't let my husband hear that! He will try to get me to do that too!

equest
Apr. 30, 2009, 10:43 PM
Why I would want to go riding after work on Friday rather than happy hour :)

superpony123
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:03 PM
Why I'm at Garden State instead of prom! (granted, it's junior prom, so it's a joke) :D :lol:

grandprixjump
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:09 PM
We had a person moving out of here the other day, and someone came to help haul the horses to the new place. She made the comment, "Why are there sissy jumps in the arena, instead of barrels?" I bit my tongue, but wanted to say, "ANYONE can turn, it takes a real equestrian to FLY."
My last GF wanted to only trail ride and couldn't understand I wanted to show...

Natalie A
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:15 PM
that if our horse has funky coloring, we most likely have not dyed it...I was leading the Fjord I ride back to the barn and this guy who was doing work on the farm asked if I'd dyed his mane...

tbhuntergirl
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:21 PM
I'm on an NCAA equestrian team, and when I tell people I'm a student athlete this is generally how the conversation goes:

Person: Oh! What sport do you play?!
Me: I'm on the equestrian team.
Person: Ohhh. So you swim?
Me: No. That's aquatics. I ride horses.
Person: That's a sport?? But the horses do all the work!

Yeah, that happens A LOT. :lol:

Alter99
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:28 PM
Recently I was at the barn riding my new mare (got her Feb 1st). There's a young girl (prob age 11) that also boards at the barn but only comes out if her grandfather can take her. The grandfather, after seeing me there a few times over the past few weeks, asked if I came out to ride every day. I told him that I try to ride at least 6 days a week but sometimes it's not always possible with school. His response, "wow you must really like your horse."

I had to stop myself from laughing. It was sort of cute though!

heartinrye
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:35 PM
I'm on an NCAA equestrian team, and when I tell people I'm a student athlete this is generally how the conversation goes:

I've had the same conversation MANY times.

One time I was wearing a "BlankU Equestrian" shirt on the plane. A woman sits down next to me and asks:
So you play soccer?
Me: Umm excuse me?
Woman: Your shirt- you play soccer?
Me: No I'm on the equestrian team, I ride horses.
Woman: That's nice- so how do you like playing soccer?
:eek: :no:

dghunter
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:47 PM

One time I was wearing a "BlankU Equestrian" shirt on the plane. A woman sits down next to me and asks:
So you play soccer?

Don't you love talking to people who don't actually listen to you? :lol:

tbhuntergirl
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:50 PM

So you play soccer?

Yes! That happens a lot too! We've also been asked if we are cheerleaders or a basketball team whenever we travel. It's like do we really look TALL enough to be basketball players??

christmasfarm
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:57 PM
Bodyclipping! My non-horsey friends sooo don't get why we cut off all their hair, then have to put blankets on them!

mortebella
May. 1, 2009, 08:00 AM
GallentQuest, sooooooo many things you said, but here's the one that really does it for me: WHY can I move my horse out of my personal space with a finger, but most people?! Not with @#$%! baseball bat!!! :lol::lol:

backinthesaddle
May. 1, 2009, 08:07 AM
People at work just don't understand that leaving on time to take care of my horses is just as important to me as a person leaving on time to pick up their kids from day care (or to just spend time with their kids).

mysandi
May. 1, 2009, 08:18 AM
People don't understand that the time involved to care for my horse is a necessity.

horsetales
May. 1, 2009, 08:22 AM
Why I would loose sleep watching the camera monitor waiting for my mares to foal.

Why a specially trained person needs to come trim their "toenails" :no:

The personality thing here too. I can't believe how many people think horses wouldn't have different personalities.

mvp
May. 1, 2009, 08:27 AM
Just about ripped my grandmother a new one about this.

Why didn't I consider selling the horse (I bred and trained him) since my career path seems to recommend that? I explained I could not. "Yes, I suppose you have known him a long time," she said.

I pointed out that if this were a human child, no one would suggest ditching the kid for a promotion. That would be somewhere between uncool and illegal.

She doesn't get the moral obligation that comes from choosing to create an animal that is not protected by the same social services as a kid--free education, low-cost basic health care, free or at least treat now, ask questions later, emergency medical care. Besides only knowing the rules I taught him, this horse is quite dependent upon me.

wolfpackfan
May. 1, 2009, 08:30 AM
All of my co workers are so supportive. They think my daughter riding is "cute". Whenever we get ready to go to a show near us they all ask the dreaded question:

What time will she go? HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA

No matter how much I try and explain there is no time in horseshow world they just look dumbfounded!:lol:

Lou-Lou
May. 1, 2009, 08:31 AM

Haha, that reminds me of Zoolander :winkgrin:

TBDressage916
May. 1, 2009, 08:40 AM
When people would stop their cars to ask what breed my tb was because he was trace clipped and they thought that he was colored that way. I started telling people that his mother was a tb and his father was an old woody station wagon.

dogchushu
May. 1, 2009, 08:49 AM
Bodyclipping! My non-horsey friends sooo don't get why we cut off all their hair, then have to put blankets on them!

Is one of your friends my father? Because in all the years I've had my horse, he still shakes his head at this one. Another thing he doesn't get: why I vacuum an animal that lives outside.

But he does try, and his heart's in the right place. He once sent me a card when my horse was lame from a gravel. Of course, the card was rather interesting. Seems dad thought "popping a gravel" = "passing a stone!" :eek:

caradino
May. 1, 2009, 08:50 AM
these are classic...

i was on the phone with a woman a while ago conducting some horribly long alumni survey, and she gets to the question "did you play sports in college?"

"why yes, i was on the equestrian team."
"oh! that's gymnastics, right?"
"no, it's horseback riding."
"oh..."

GettingBack
May. 1, 2009, 08:56 AM
Anything I say.

I post in my blog about a schooling session and invariably I have 9 of my friends say "I have no idea what you said, but you sound happy, congratulations"

That no, having an experience on a trail horse (which has invariably run away with them, bucked them off, or "attacked" them) is not the same as riding over a 3'6" course.

That yes, though I've been riding since I was 12, I still need to take lessons.

That yes, I had to travel outside of the area to get a new horse and no, getting one from the farm down the road that sells nice roping horses would not suit my needs (not saying they might not have a prospect, but..er...they didn't)

That yes, falling off is part of the "normal" process and no, I'm not going to quit riding.

That no, tying my greenie to the pool fence to graze with his longeline is not a very good idea (thanks Mom). "What, they aren't like dogs?"

That no, even though I have an OTTB, it does not mean that he is crazy/fast and I do not know what horse to bet on automatically because my horse came off the track (different discipline!!!)

I too got the "but the horse does all the work" comments, but those I used to extinguish by making said person ride my very solid horse. They only said those things once.

And then there are the invariable whips and boots jokes. People do NOT get why I don't find them, um...interesting...at all. They are tools, I wear them every day. Are your sneakers "interesting" to you? No? Neither are my boots. Get over it.

huntergirl007
May. 1, 2009, 09:51 AM
My boyfriend, who races ATV's for a living, bought me race gear and four-wheeling boots for my birthday and said, "here! the judge will love you!" :yes:. God bless them.

My best friends sister, who once reffered to the horses hoof as a "paw", asked why all the chairs on the horses backs weren't the same colour. :lol:

If I had a nickel for every time someone told me horseback riding wasn't a sport, I would have 12 other horses.

And yes, the whips and spurs. Gotta love the whips and spurs...

kdriding
May. 1, 2009, 09:59 AM
-They don't understand why my daughter and I get up a 3am to be to the show for 6:30 warm-up, show all day, and then do it again 3 weekends out of the month.

-They don't understand why Killian sees the chiro and massage theripist monthly (or more often if needed) and I won't go see the chiro myself even though I have HUGE neck problems.

-Why we "chase" points.

-Why I cry everytime I watch the Kentucky Derby, or any horse race for that matter. Or horse based, movie, TV show, or great coverage on a big competition (Olympics, Rolex, World Cup, etc)

-Why my truck and trailer with Killian onboard are parked as close to the Lacrosse field as possible on the days my daughter is showing and we are done in time to catch my son's game and it is on the way home.

-Why my truck is more like a tack shop at all times. Lord forbid I not be able to go in there and get something I need immediatly.

-Why changing trainers is sometimes like getting divorced.

-Why if I have had to choose between my husband and living without horses, well, I won't answer that one on a public BB ;)

-Why I would give almost anything to have a 40 stall facility of my own so I can manage it, muck the stalls, drag the rings, do turnout, and everything else that is involved with having your own barn. Heck, selling my soul sounds good!

Couture TB
May. 1, 2009, 10:11 AM
We had a person moving out of here the other day, and someone came to help haul the horses to the new place. She made the comment, "Why are there sissy jumps in the arena, instead of barrels?" I bit my tongue, but wanted to say, "ANYONE can turn, it takes a real equestrian to FLY."
My last GF wanted to only trail ride and couldn't understand I wanted to show...

What I always wanted to know about barrel racing *this is a joke people!* And accidently asked after a few drinks once: Really how fast does your horse have to be to beat a barrel?

gmv567
May. 1, 2009, 10:16 AM
Ha ha... everything I say about horses. Yesterday at track practice I was pole vaulting with a bunch of guys in the pouring rain. They couldn't hold on to the slippery pole... but I could (I am just starting, and they are all pretty good). When they asked how I did it, I said... It's from all of my practice riding in the rain. With about six 15-18 year old guys, that got a couple of funny looks! Then I tried to explain what I meant, but I still think that they got the wrong idea. :no:

InWhyCee Redux
May. 1, 2009, 10:31 AM
Anything I say.

That yes, falling off is part of the "normal" process and no, I'm not going to quit riding.

And then there are the invariable whips and boots jokes. People do NOT get why I don't find them, um...interesting...at all. They are tools, I wear them every day. Are your sneakers "interesting" to you? No? Neither are my boots. Get over it.

"Why are you taking lessons? You already know how to ride." Hey, a leg on each side, face the ears — viola!

"You fell off? But you're HERE!" The assumption being any fall mandates a trip to the hospital and weeks of recovery time....

"Ooooh, girl, those pants are TIGHT! You going out tonight?" Yes, why else would I be wearing breeches on the NYC subway? It's to turn YOU on, baby!

"You pulled a hamstring? What, you're playing football now?" No, I just sit there, with my leg dangling....

"OMG, don't you think about Christopher Reeve?" Yes, I do.

"There must be a lot of good-looking guys at the barn. I should join you someday." Look all you like, most aren't playing on your swing set. ;)

"How come ol' Dobbin can jump out of the paddock every night but tries to run around every fence at the shows? He should be in the Olympics!" Dad, I'm still trying to figure that one out....

RacetrackReject
May. 1, 2009, 10:34 AM
Cute story about horses having a personality.

I had asked my boyfriend if he could go by my house and empty the water trough as it was too heavy for me to heave over.
So, I am at work and get a phone call from the boyfriend.
Me- "hello"
BF- "Oh my God Basco is so cool!"
"yes, I know. Did you get the trough emptied and refilled?"
"NO, you don't understand. He is really cool!!"
"Yes, I know. About that trough??"
'NO. He, like, has a personality!!"
"Yes, I know."
"NO. You don't get it. I have been out with him for almost 2 hours. He has a personality, like a human."
"Yes, I know."
"No, you aren't understanding me. He was bugging me while I was cleaning the trough, so I started petting him. Then he started touching his chest with his nose and just kept doing so I scratched him there and he made a face. Then he touched his side, so I scratched him there. Then he touched his back leg, so I scratched him there. HE WAS TELLING ME WHERE HE WANTED ME TO SCRATCH!!"
"Yes, dear, he has you trained well."
"What? OH, yeah, I guess he does. You knew this?"
"Yes. Next he will be asking you to fetch him a beer."
"oh, uh, yeah. He already drank mine. That's ok right?"
"Yes dear"

Gwendolyn
May. 1, 2009, 10:35 AM
A friend of mine and I were talking about his dog's personality. I mentioned my horse and he asked if horses have personalities. ;)

I was told this morning that I should "be careful riding" by a co-worker, because I might "end up like Christopher Reeves" (I have a 6 year old that jumps 2'6).

I used to get the "riding isn't a sport" all the time by my bf. So I put him on my client's friesian mare and told him to trot. That fixed that. :lol::winkgrin:

"Horseback riding is in the olympics?"

The fact that Dora also gets massages and chiro visits and I've never had a massage.

Why I spend $80 on shoes for Dora every six weeks. I have spent $80 on shoes for me ONCE EVER. :lol:

Even horse people wonder why I spend $21 on a bale of hay. Because she likes it and it's green :)

HuntJumpSC
May. 1, 2009, 11:05 AM
There's nothing like running into Walmart or a restaurant on the way home from a show, in your breeches and boots and being asked if you won your race. :lol: You explain in simple terms that you ride horses that jump and they say "ohhh....like hurdles!"

Not understanding why you can't leave the barn until the stalls are completely spotless (if I pick one out and the horse poops, I'm going back in there!)

The fact that you'll eat a pack of crackers and a drink with grubby hands, and share them with your horse, but you don't dare eat or drink after another person.

gasrgoose
May. 1, 2009, 11:26 AM
A standing joke between me and my father about why we have to be at the shows so early in the am. "How long does it take to brush that horses teeth?"

Sail Away
May. 1, 2009, 11:31 AM

For the life of me I never quite understand why this is such a hard concept for people to understand. Everyone must practice continuously in order to keep up the skill level and to improve. You don't see gymnasts or swimmers ditching their coaches after they learn a skill.

Philosopher
May. 1, 2009, 11:36 AM
For the life of me I never quite understand why this is such a hard concept for people to understand. Everyone must practice continuously in order to keep up the skill level and to improve. You don't see gymnasts or swimmers ditching their coaches after they learn a skill.

I think the problem is that we call them "lessons". Once you know how to swim, you don't take swimming lessons, you go to swim practice and get "coached" and "trained" rather than "taught".

vacation1
May. 1, 2009, 11:36 AM
Things my non-horsey people don't understand, taken from a) conversations about why they don't want to come visit me at the barn and b) conversations during those rare times when they, to our mutual regret, did come to the barn:

- it's not cute to call them horsies, unless you're 6.
- why I, who normally wears $12 Payless sneakers and watched S&TC with bemusement, spent that much on boots that are only used for walking around areas filled with mud and horse manure
- it's not cool to repeat "Whew! They smell!" 8 billion times in your sole 12-minute visit to the barn
- commenting on the appearance of the girls - or, worse, the boys - wearing breeches will result in my rapid disappearance from your side and then you will have to figure out how to extricate yourself from a milling crowd of horses and pedestrians on your own
- penis jokes involving equines are still penis jokes, and therefore not funny.
- watching people ride horses is not, inherently, more boring than watching people engage in other sports, and I seem to recall doing that quite often for you - including FLY FISHING, you shameless hypocrite (really, is there a spectator sport more boring than fly fishing?) so zip it
- the friendly horse is the one that bites; I know, it's unfair.
- the short horse (we call them ponies) is the boss; I know, it's always the short guys.
- asking questions is fine, but don't ask me hard questions loudly in front of other people, because I humiliate easily
- it's a sport because it's a pointless activity which involves physical exertion and when you do it wrong, you tend to physically damage yourself

GypsyQ
May. 1, 2009, 11:58 AM
Forget people understanding they have personalities...We had a young girl visiting the barn one day and she followed me out to the field to get a horse. We were standing at the gate and she looked at the three horses and asked me, "How do you tell them apart?"

There was one black, one chestnut, and one palomino in the field. I forgot my response. Something like you just learn how to tell them apart. And they say there are no stupid questions...

mep0726
May. 1, 2009, 12:13 PM
When I tell people that I go home every weekend and at least once during the week to ride my horse so he is still fit enough to compete, they roll their eyes at me. However, when I tell them I go home to spend time with my bf (and leave the horse part out), it is perfectly acceptable.

EventFan
May. 1, 2009, 12:30 PM
My daughters are asked (on a regular basis) how they get those beautiful arm muscles....I want to suggest they spend some time moving hay, grooming, cleaning barn isles, and then riding but they still wouldn't get it.

Holly Jeanne
May. 1, 2009, 12:57 PM
I think there are advantages to living in Kentucky. :) When I tell someone I have horses they often ask if they are Thoroughbreds and don't assume that word means purebreds. Going into a store in grungy or riding clothes rarely gets a look (including Cracker Barrel). When I told my boss I was going to be taking some odd days off for a while for foal watch he said to do whatever I needed. Most Kentuckians don't assume you are rich just because you have horses. I recently got my first bone density scan. My NP told me she didn't expect a problem given how active I am. My general NP is a rider so no having to explain myself.

What I find they still don't understand:

That not every horse (that isn't on the track at least) is suitable for less experienced riders or good for pony rides.

That it's difficult to go to a 7 p.m. movie when you have go to home and feed and why I'd rather not wait until 9:30 - 10:00 to feed. (I don't have a barn and feed in the open pasture and prefer not to do that in the dark.)

Spyromaniac
May. 1, 2009, 01:22 PM
When you tell people you have a horse and they say "Oh - do you race?" or "You must comptete in the Stampede (one of the biggest rodeos in the world held here every summer)/at Spruce Meadows"

Or I talk about my horse being sore or "off" - "But they can't talk, how do you know where they are hurting?"

Dressage...don't even get me started on explaining dressage to people.
One pet peeve with dressage even with horse-y people - dressage IS NOT the same as flatwork!

imnotclever
May. 1, 2009, 01:26 PM
I got a text message from my husband one day that said "I'm working on your bridal right now". His spelling aside... the funny part was he was putting a nameplate on a halter. Hehe :winkgrin:

InWhyCee Redux
May. 1, 2009, 01:32 PM
Most Kentuckians don't assume you are rich just because you have horses.

"Lately, I've been taking lessons in Westchester County [just north of NYC]."

"How fabulous! You must know Richard Gere. He rides too!"

KaraAD
May. 1, 2009, 01:49 PM
When people would stop their cars to ask what breed my tb was because he was trace clipped and they thought that he was colored that way. I started telling people that his mother was a tb and his father was an old woody station wagon.

That is seriously funny!

gypsymare
May. 1, 2009, 02:39 PM
"Why are you taking lessons? You already know how to ride." Hey, a leg on each side, face the ears — viola!

I got that one word for word from my grandmother!

I recently changed jobs and moved and one of my coworkers after learning of the fact that I was looking for a barn made the comment,

"I like to see how long hobbies last in this business."

Umm WHAT? Sorry, If I don't have time to spend my money on the things I love then what is the point of working? The job would get ditched before the horse!

meupatdoes
May. 1, 2009, 02:53 PM
My father:
"But when your horse gets old, wouldn't it be a good idea to send him to slaughter so that at least the meat gets used?"

I promptly made one of my friends a cobeneficiary (half to my parents, half to her) of my life insurance policy so that my horses never have to be under the control of my parents.

Over my dead body. Literally.

trainer a
May. 1, 2009, 02:59 PM
My s/o - "You should take my good friend's wife to the barn to let her ride your horse!"

Me - "No, sorry. I don't have a horse for her to ride and I don't even know her. She could definitely have fun at barn XYZ though taking lessons!"

s/o - "She's ridden before, she doesn't need lessons!"

Um, no. I wouldn't mind humoring someone if I had a 20 yr old push button horse, but I don't. I try and compare it to...would you let this random person drive your 500 horse power corvette? Would you let her fly your beloved r/c jet? No!

Yep - I get that from my s/o!! It is kind of hard to explain to a non horse person. A lot of hobbies are simple; you take a few lessons, then it's just up to you to practice and practice to get better. But even people who are professionals in the horse world STILL take lessons to get better.

I got a text message from my husband one day that said "I'm working on your bridal right now". His spelling aside... the funny part was he was putting a nameplate on a halter. Hehe :winkgrin:

Now that's just cute!! :)

tbhuntergirl
May. 1, 2009, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=HuntJumpSC;4062099]There's nothing like running into Walmart or a restaurant on the way home from a show, in your breeches and boots and being asked if you won your race. :lol: You explain in simple terms that you ride horses that jump and they say "ohhh....like hurdles!"

QUOTE]

ALWAYS happens to me.

Dramapony_misty
May. 1, 2009, 03:24 PM
Me: No No NO! YOU CAN'T DUMP YOUR GRASS CLIPPINGS INTO MY PASTURE!
Well-intentioned neighbor: But the horses will like it.
Me: It will make them very very sick.
Neighbor: But it's grass. They eat grass.
And then I simplify it down to them sitting down and eating an entire devils's food cake with dark chocolate icing...stomach ache? Yes. "You could then throw up and feel better. Horses can't throw up so they have to suffer the stomach ache...and they can't take Pepto or Tums neither."
People seem to feel bad enough about not wanting to make the horses sick to not do it. :)

Also to keep little neighborhood kids from petting the horses without my presence, I tell them that horses think fingers are carrots because they feel and smell like carrots. Because they can't see fingers when they are down by their nose (and demo with the kids...try pointing you finger up and then lay it against your chin...you can't see it? Neither can Ole Buck.), they'll chomp down thinking it's food!:yes:

Sadly this doesn't work for the adults who walk by with a bag of carrots or some apples and now my otherwise well-behaved herd is getting a bit nippy :no:

Here's a quote from a curious friend who wanted to help me tack up one day:
"Saddle pad....now does that go under the saddle to protect the horse or over the saddle for the rider to sit on?" :lol:

anchorsaway
May. 1, 2009, 03:51 PM
-Why on earth I'd want to spend my first block(class) at the barn.
-Why I'm going to show instead of prom..which for me seems like no-brainer.
-Just about anything I say in terms of 'riding' and thus are taken in the wrong context.
-Why I have 3 pairs of boots and riding clothes in my vehicle and for that matter, the dressage whip in the back :lol:

-Why do I *still* have horses. conversation goes like this
person(usually family member): You still have ________(fill in horse's name)
Me: yes
person: Why? We were sure you'd grow out of that.
Me: well, I guess not
person: But you're going to college..?
Me: your point?
person: well your father shouldn't have paid for him
Me: he didn't; I bought him
person: he still shouldn't have bought him.
My family is so wonderfully supportive :rolleyes:

-Why I have to bathe or braid
-The entire concept of lessons
-Oh and I think my personal favorite...

Me: Yeah, I'm rehabing my horse after some time off,he was lame.
Person: Lame?
Me: Yes...
Person: Like, their uncool?
Me: nope
-And of course the equestrian team..how stupid/not a sport/shouldn't be on jackets/able to receive varsity letters/what it is ect.
-Oh and how I'm obviously spoiled because my parents bought me a horse for my 6th birthday even though I cover all costs of my current horse and bought him myself :sigh:

make x it x so
May. 1, 2009, 04:04 PM
My dad (who is an awesome horse show dad- he can groom and hold a horse with decent control and I've been teaching how to tack up) is always switching the words around. His favorites to use interchangeably are bridle/halter and stirrup/spur. Whenever I correct him, he replies "Oh, you know what I mean," because he doesn't get that in the context of most situations, there is an important distinction. When he tells me he put the horse in the stall but left the bridle on, it can freak me out more than a little!

He also gets show classes mixed up, (usually Medal and Marshall & Sterling classes are the ones he gets confused with one another) but that's a little more understandable.

But he tries really hard and even has learned to pick my horse's feet, so there is hope that one day he'll get it!

zoeee
May. 1, 2009, 05:10 PM
"Oh how was your show this weekend"
"Great! I got 6th!"
"But I thought you said you did well?"

mojo7777
May. 1, 2009, 06:05 PM
My doctor said, "You must be getting plenty of weight-bearing exercise carrying around all those buckets of hay." She said it twice.

Trevelyan96
May. 1, 2009, 06:21 PM
One afternoon I found an eggbutt in my tote bag at work. I pulled it out dangling it in front of myself, thinking "WTF?? I've been looking for this thing for a week!". One of my co-workers walked by my office and was like "OMG, what are those HANDCUFFS for!!!!" :lol::lol:

supershorty628
May. 1, 2009, 06:27 PM
My teacher has now amended the paper I mentioned in my first post, so now I have to write about all the joints involved with riding in addition to all the muscles. 20 page paper, anyone?

I was pretty offended by her comparing riding to sewing, so I'm going all out on this paper...it's just going to be a lot of work (I'm doing it at the same time as my AP exams and showing in Saratoga. Yippee!).

superpony123
May. 1, 2009, 07:20 PM
that you still need to take lessons even though you know how to ride :lol:

that no, i don't know when i will show tomorrow. yes, i just called. yes, they just told me that my division might start in two hours. no, i will not ride in two hours. maybe five hours ! yes, i will show up in an hour just in case.

:D

CFiona
May. 1, 2009, 07:31 PM
One afternoon I found an eggbutt in my tote bag at work. I pulled it out dangling it in front of myself, thinking "WTF?? I've been looking for this thing for a week!". One of my co-workers walked by my office and was like "OMG, what are those HANDCUFFS for!!!!" :lol::lol:

Awesome!!! I would have said "Yes" just to aviod the truth! :winkgrin::D:winkgrin::D

Supershorty628 you will have your hands full! I actually think you will have problems keeping this paper UNDER 20 pages! From ankles, to knees, to hips, to sholders, elbows, wrists, every tiny little finger joint, to your neck, riding can be a total body experience. How are you going to analyze it? I'm imagining someone wearing a full body black suit with those little green balls on each joint and riding in one of those "Motion Sensor" rooms....sorta like they do to analyze people's golf swings? Am I way off?

And to stay on topic, my roommate and best friend is non-horsey. She always freaks out when she sees they laying down in the pasture! As soon as we turn in the driveway she is frantic with questions like "Have they fainted? Are they DEAD?" What a silly girl. :)

Plumb Loco
May. 1, 2009, 08:36 PM
I had to go to the Ocala courthouse to pay a moving violation fine (another story) and was dressed in britches and boots as I was on my way to the barn. I had to pass thorugh security and the security guard asked me if I was going to go riding and I said, "Yes, right after I pay my ticket." So the guard starts cracking up and says, "What!? Did you get pulled over for going 65 in a 55 on your horse? You'd better slow down there, Girl!"

supershorty628
May. 1, 2009, 08:44 PM
Awesome!!! I would have said "Yes" just to aviod the truth! :winkgrin::D:winkgrin::D

Supershorty628 you will have your hands full! I actually think you will have problems keeping this paper UNDER 20 pages! From ankles, to knees, to hips, to sholders, elbows, wrists, every tiny little finger joint, to your neck, riding can be a total body experience. How are you going to analyze it? I'm imagining someone wearing a full body black suit with those little green balls on each joint and riding in one of those "Motion Sensor" rooms....sorta like they do to analyze people's golf swings? Am I way off?

We have a pretty specific rubric that covers what we need to discuss. I'll just call this my senior thesis and it can be however long it ends up - 50 pages, 100 pages, a novel, whatever, haha!

superpony123
May. 1, 2009, 08:45 PM
And to stay on topic, my roommate and best friend is non-horsey. She always freaks out when she sees they laying down in the pasture! As soon as we turn in the driveway she is frantic with questions like "Have they fainted? Are they DEAD?" What a silly girl. :)

HAHAH!! YES! my dad comes to pick me up from the barn or drop me off once in a while, and he'll frantically call me seven or eight times after he leaves (passing our pastures along side the road) and when i finally pick up: "SARAH! SARAH! there is a horse laying down!! in the field!! is it okay? is it dead??" .. "gee dad maybe it's taking a nap" ... "SARAH THIS ISNT FUNNY OKAY" .. "dad, horses take naps. like an afternoon nap in the summer. it's pretty normal." .. "are you sure?" .. "dad, please go home" :) :lol:

superpony123
May. 1, 2009, 08:48 PM

OMG. i just laughed really hard at that :D :lol::lol::lol:

Beau Cheval
May. 1, 2009, 08:50 PM
How about the amount of times "that's what she said" comments are made.

e.g. Ride that fence hard, "she's only good when they're big", etc. etc.

I think people don't understand why a vacuum is a necessary tool, why I was so excited for the good weather fore-mostly because it meant i could bathe my horse.

Cindyg
May. 1, 2009, 11:08 PM
Non-horse people can't understand...

1. Why I don't like to travel.

2. Why I'm glad when it rains (um...so the grass will grow, so there will be hay...because we're in the middle of a drought...?)

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
May. 2, 2009, 03:15 AM
No, I did not have to train my horse to roll over. :lol:

Someone actually thought I taught him that.

Guin
May. 2, 2009, 07:39 AM
Non-horsey people don't understand.....why I have no problem wiping green slobber off a muzzle with my shirtsleeve so that DD doesn't get it on her show coat.:D

Horselove
May. 2, 2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks to all the posters...........I actually laughed out loud multiple times reading these posts............and I too have had way too many similar experiences in the non horsey world

nlk
May. 2, 2009, 08:54 AM
I was kind of lucky growing up, I come from what use to be a heavily populated horse area ( before the sub divisions went in) but I have some favorites

going to the corner store on way to barn and the cashier guy asks me "do you ride?" I was in boots with spurs and breeches...I told him no this is the latest fashion and what everyone was wearing....

In high school our varsity jackets said "Equestrian team" and had a horse head underneath, I got told/asked at least once a year If I was on the "equation team" umm no I happen to hate math and apparently we don't have a literacy team in this school...

My best friend and I were captains of our said High school team our senior year, well every year our team made shirts, the tye dyed sort. Well the captains have to participate in the "parade of captains" in our homecoming pep assembly. So on the back of our shirts we put "we do it with our boots on." we wanted to put "whips, chains, and spurs...Equestrian team...What were you thinking?!" our coach didn't find that appropriate.

And my recent Christopher Reeves favorite comes from my grandfather:

He is in his 70's and from the northern hills of Georgia (I mean we are talking 13 kids, no electricity and an outhouse ina one bedroom cabin sort of thing) so along with the major dialect that only family can understand he usually has a wad of "red chef" stuffed in there....I just had to set the tone...

So my mom and I went to visit them this winter, I was 8 months pregnant with my second child, and was unable to drink ( seriously needed to deal with these two not kidding)

My Granny starts asking about my newest horse and what he does. So I start talking all proud about him being young and having such jumping ability. Now I have been jumping for 10 years so when I am telling them of my horse jumping 3'6" it shouldn't be a big deal. Well here comes grandpa.

"Your F**king crazy" (insert great dialect here)"don't you know what happened to Christopher Reeves?"

"Yes grandpa I know what happened to Christopher Reeves, but in my defense I am not doing the same thing. I jump fences that are fake (for lack of a better word) mine fall apart when you fall in to them."

"I know that's what he was doing too!"

"No grandpa, he was doing Cross country. I don't do that. Cross Country has big solid jumps, my jumps have poles that move or come off when hit."

"That's what he was doing, he was riding through the country side and jumped a jump and his horse through him and they both fell...I saw the video." ( I really don't think he saw Christopher Reeves actual fall as I don't remember it happening the way he described it I think he saw another cross country fall that was equated to Christopher Reeves)

"Grandpa, he wasn't riding through the country, he was on a course at a show"

"Godd**n it, no he wasn't he was riding through a field in the country, I saw the video."

"Ok grandpa, that's still not what I do."

At which point he walks off mumbling, oh and when he swears at you it means he really likes you;)

cranky
May. 2, 2009, 09:07 AM
I was telling a friend a story one day about loading a horse on a trailer where the person at the head of the horse let him him go so that he ran out the other side (6-horse variety trailer), how he started running down the road and how I had to run down the road chasing him. She said, "why didn't you call him and tell him to come?" Uh, because he's not a dog? Sheesh!

gladys
May. 2, 2009, 09:15 AM
"Just a Horse"
Many people have seen this before, but it says it all.
http://www.barnmice.com/video/1773158:Video:25911

Valeureux
May. 2, 2009, 10:25 AM
- Trying to explain to my school that I will be missing school for a horseshow, and they're like, um.. what? You can't miss school for that.

- Coming back to school, and people ask me if I won my race. :lol: Recently I've given up trying to explain that whole thing and just saying that I won.

- Trying to convince people that riding horses is a sport, and no, that the horse does not do all the work.

- That yes, the horseback riding is is the olympics :winkgrin:

- Attempting to explain why in the world I would miss homecoming and prom for horseshows.

- Why I would want to ride my horse every day after school and on the weekends instead of hanging out with people from my school.

OneMoreTime
May. 2, 2009, 10:52 AM
That I actually LIKE the smell of horse :D

toxicity
May. 2, 2009, 02:39 PM
Why I need new $200 show boots because I've gotten taller, not my foot getting bigger. My dad is genuinely pissed about this even though I'm paying for them...:confused:

heartinrye
May. 2, 2009, 02:54 PM
I used to board my horse at my country club in the summers, where his paddock was right next to one of the holes on the golf course, and was also overlooked by the pro-shop.
I knew the guys who worked in there- and they were always bored, so one day they call frantically screaming: "your horse IS DEAD!!" (they knew he was the one who lived out there).
I respond:"He's probably just sunbathing"
Golf Guru's: No he's DEAD, we're positive
I go down to check this out...
I get down there (phone still in hand) and call his name he lifts his head up looks at me and then flops to the other side- I later tell them so that he has an even tan on both sides...
Golf Guru's then decided horses we're just as bad as girls since they spend all their time tanning...

christmasfarm
May. 2, 2009, 03:47 PM
How about the amount of times "that's what she said" comments are made.

e.g. Ride that fence hard, "she's only good when they're big", etc. etc.

I think people don't understand why a vacuum is a necessary tool, why I was so excited for the good weather fore-mostly because it meant i could bathe my horse.

This doesn't even make any sense to me. Sorry!

snaffle635
May. 2, 2009, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=kdriding;4061907]

-Why I cry everytime I watch the Kentucky Derby, or any horse race for that matter. Or horse based, movie, TV show, or great coverage on a big competition (Olympics, Rolex, World Cup, etc)
QUOTE]

kd - me too! After I watched Seabiscuit, I sat in the car and sobbed, trying to explain to my fiance, 'you just don't understand how hard they try for us!'...sniff, sniff.

cleartheoxer
May. 2, 2009, 08:28 PM
My grandma came to the barn with me once. She came in and saw my horse standing still, resting her back leg, on her toe. My grandma promply asked "Do you need to put her to sleep?"

Too funny!

HARROLDhasmyheart
May. 2, 2009, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE=HuntJumpSC;4062099]There's nothing like running into Walmart or a restaurant on the way home from a show, in your breeches and boots and being asked if you won your race. :lol: You explain in simple terms that you ride horses that jump and they say "ohhh....like hurdles!"

QUOTE]

ALWAYS happens to me.

Oy, I have gotten that one many times :)
A personal favorite is trying to explain the difference between hunters and jumpers to non-horsey people. The explanation always ends up somewhere along the lines of, "I do the jumpers, which is basically go as fast as you can and don't knock anything down." If only it were that easy!

Once I went to Nordstrom's with my trainer (I couldn't yet ride and she was driving me home and needed to stop on the way) still in my barn clothes. The sales lady actually looked at me and just flat out said, "What happened to you?" Bahahaha.

_downpour_
Sep. 4, 2009, 05:32 AM
My sister (who has been riding probably 10 years) recently said "I hate riding in the wintec. I can't even feel the cair in it'

apparantely she thought that cair panels were for the comfort of the rider.

Sometimes I quiz my (non horsey) nearly 13yo brother on horsey stuff, like ask him how old is my pony, is he a gelding/mare/stallion, how tall is he, name 3 brands of saddles, name the colors of horses, name facial/leg markings, what do you do in dressage/hunters/cross country etc... he's surprisingly good!

NeverEnd
Sep. 4, 2009, 09:40 AM
Taking your hand to a person and gently asking them to 'move over' sometimes with a cluck if they are in the way

....I have been riding for 20+ years and clucking at people has never occured to me! Hillarious! Thank you for the laugh this morning!!!!

Holly Jeanne
Sep. 4, 2009, 09:53 AM
My mare threw her head down and bucked pretty good on Tuesday. The result was a broken bone in my hand and a cast from impact of hand against withers. Non-horse person asked about it. After the explanation said non-horse person was very concerned and asked if the horse was ok. I just held up my cast and looked at her. I guess I can understand why a non-horse person might think the side of ones hand might damage the withers. I heard a crack and I knew it wasn't her withers. :eek:
`

NeverEnd
Sep. 4, 2009, 09:54 AM
Why I drive 30 minutes to the barn each day for 10 minutes of stall cleaning, just to barely afford board!

Why my board is double what I pay in rent!

Why I don't choose this lifestyle, I NEED it!

Sep. 4, 2009, 11:31 AM
One of my friends is a famous pianist, and I was talking to him about how I was having trouble finding a nice place in my area to take GOOD lessons. His response: "You've been riding for a long time now, right? Aren't you too good for lessons?"

Me (with icy stare): "You can NEVER be too good for lessons."

(keep in mind that, as a pro/semi-pro, this friend takes routine piano lessons from famous instructors in his area)

Him: (very embarrassed) "Oh, I guess that's true... [implied: but it never occurred to me that it applied to horseback riding, as it does to music/art/serious things! I never considered horseback riding to be serious - oops!]"

superpony123
Sep. 4, 2009, 12:00 PM
how i find nothing gross about cleaning my pony's butt til its sparkling clean if he gets diarrhea, or wiping his nose boogies everyday, but the mere thought of changing a baby's diaper or seeing a kid with a runny nose makes me nauseous (well, there's digested hay and grass, and then there's baby poop.)

indygirl2560
Sep. 4, 2009, 02:28 PM
So recently, I dragged my dad to a show to watch my friend's classes. Luckily my friend's dad talked to my dad the whole time so he wasn't bored. We watched my friend's hunter flat class, the hunter o/f, and then the low jumpers. As we were driving home, my dad and I had this conversation:

Dad: "I think I finally get why your friend didn't win that first class."
Me: "Why?"
Dad: "Because Jim(my friend's dad) told me that that class was judged on looking dull and quiet and your friend kept making the horse do too many fancy things."
Me: "What???"
Dad: "And she won those last classes because those were based on style points and that horse definitely did some impressive things."

What really happened was that my friend's horse was a brat in the hunter flat(crow hopping, fake spooking, overall being a butt) and he was still bratty in the jumpers but she got him around the course at a decent speed and didn't pull any rails.

So apparently, according to "the dads", hunters are judged on dullness and jumpers are judged on style(ie how many bucks, hops, and spooks you get)!!!

twoposies
Sep. 4, 2009, 04:34 PM
I work for a small company(about 50 people & our CEO is 40), the standard is employees under 25 - in a serious relationship, employees 25-30 married and a newbie on the way, if not two, employees 30-35 at least three kids, many have more, no employees older than 45(just the way it turned out)

So I'm the odd man out - 28 in not too many days now, no BF and no possibilities in sight, but more horsey babies than my co-workers have in people babies at the same age:P

My co-workers give me a hairy eyball regardless of what "bright" ideas I come up with but they really start to wonder when:
I start having conversations about how to affect the sex of the baby through malnutrition of the mom - based on studies you've read on COTH forums,
Suggesting a different "stallion" that is more likely to throw a girl/boy or some qualities you want (I have bit my tongue in time to keep from suggesting sperm donors to moms wanting something in particular;),
Asking if maternity leave could ever be considered for those who are only likely to produce equine offspring and no human offspring
Knowing the sex of a baby pre-birth - for marketability
I start talking semen shipments in the office...

I thought I'd have no frame of reference with all these couples and new borns, having horse babies at least gave me some way to relate to my fellow human producing co-workers!:D

Gray Horse H/J
Sep. 4, 2009, 07:46 PM
I love that someone dug this thread up, it's funny. :lol:

A co-worker asked me once why I wear a helmet to ride. She figured you only need a helmet if you fall off, and you only fall off if you don't know what you're doing. I didn't really like the assumption that I don't know what I'm doing and am expecting to fall off, so I told her that the last time I fell was because my horse managed to trip over his own legs and face-plant right into the ground, and it was probably a good thing I was wearing that helmet. (Which is true, that did happen.) Then she shut up.

Speaking of falling, I told someone once that I was sore from falling off my horse the day before. "How did you fall? You mean like you lost your balance and just fell?" Well no, that's not usually how riders fall off. I mean they can, I suppose, but most riders aren't just sitting there on the horse and then suddenly just topple off the side. Sheesh.

Another co-worker and I got to talking, and horses came up. She told me her daughter used to take riding lessons (coincidentally at the same barn I board at) but that she made her quit. She made her quit because the daughter "always wanted to hang around after she rode and brush the horses and stuff, and that's just boring. The barn smells and horses smell and I didn't like being there while she brushed a horse. I'm paying for her to ride one, not brush one." So she made her kid quit. Poor kid! I told her I enjoy brushing my horse and she just looked at me like I was crazy.

My grandma still asks me, every time she sees me, if I still have my horse. She assumes I'll grow out of horses. Grandma, I've been riding since I was 10 and I'll be 26 this winter, and I bust my ass to pay for my horse. I don't think I'm growing out of it.

When I was in school people always asked if I won the show. I tried explaining that you don't just win the show, there are divisions and classes, and you can place through 6th, etc...it usually bored other kids to tears so I either said yes I won or no I didn't, depending on my mood.

And, "What kind of horse do you have?" "A Thoroughbred." "Really, a thoroughbred what?" "No, his breed is a Thoroughbred." "Well what kind of thoroughbred breed?" Sigh. Never mind.

Foxdale Farm
Sep. 4, 2009, 08:09 PM
Don't get me wrong because I am in no way equating the value of a human life with that of a horse, but I've also noticed, through week-long severe colics, the loss of a foal, the near death of a mare upon foaling, all requiring 24/7 observation and nursing care for days on end with no sleep, piles of junk food, desperate prayers and puddles of tears, and because it's a horse you're dealing with instead of a person, the response from non-horsey people (who are supposed to be "friends") when you're describing the hell and sorrow you've been through is mild bewilderment with a quick and callous change of subject, "Oh wow. Don't you hate this weather?"

Can you tell this happened to me recently?

On a lighter note, these are cracking me up!!!! Thanks, everybody for the laughs. I need it. :)

www.foxdalefarm.us

Luvthespots
Sep. 4, 2009, 10:49 PM
Why you have to clean a horses sheath or udders

I talked about sheath cleaning with my non-horsey family once. You should have seen the dropped jaws. My mom was angry that I would even bring it up. Oh, did I mention that this was during Thanksgiving dinner?

Yes, I know. I am an evil child. LOL

heatherny2
Sep. 4, 2009, 10:59 PM
hee, hee, just remembered that one horse show morning I decided to do my "hunter hair" and put my helmet on before I headed to the barn, to save time. Didn't even realize how odd it might look driving down the road until half way to the barn when I noticed people looking at me a little odd...and then remembered that I was driving with my helmet on....:D

hellerkm
Sep. 4, 2009, 11:08 PM
My 5 yr old REFUSES to take off her jods , half chaps and boots until bedtime each night. IN the food store lunch meat line on Thursday a lady walks by and says to her husband " I wonder if that little girl would like to buy my horse"?? the lady in line behind us said "shes to little to ride a horse!!" with a very indignant and concerned tone!
I wondered if she thought we dressed her up like this for an early Halloween???

Yip
Sep. 4, 2009, 11:13 PM
I was a dog obedience trainer and competitor in a past life - 30 years ago when my kids were small. Those commands were etched in my memory and vocabulary forever, or so I thought. Go back only 7.5 years to when I got my first then subsequent horses. Now my dogs *whoa and ho* and my horses *stand-STAY!* There is no more heeling for the dogs - it's changed to *walk on* for everyone now, lol! My s/a vet cracks up when I give the hand signal for STAND and tell my dogs WHOA. I explain which side of the dog by using nearside and offside. He's a horse owner too, so he gets it and laughs. We have now agreed to use the terms *driver side* and "passenger side* so the techs understand too, lol!

I'm a firm believer in using flymasks every day during the fly season, which is about 9 mos./year here. And I'm *not from around 'chere*where horses have to fend for themselves. I can't tell you how many neighbors have asked me why I blindfold my horses.

bt
Sep. 5, 2009, 12:51 AM
Non horsey people really really look at you funny when you are in the store on your cell phone and say (with the kicking myself for being so dumb expression on my face) "I forgot to put my boots and helmet in the car this morning, have to go home and get them so I couldn't ride him before 6"

bt
Sep. 5, 2009, 12:57 AM
heatherny2, did that for my horse's first show, got to the barn all hunter haired/helmeted to load up and the girls were like "ummmmmmm??" my response was a laughing "well it was this or one of you could hold him if he decides to play helicopter while I put my hair up, orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I could leave it down". they agreed I made the wise choice.

_downpour_
Sep. 5, 2009, 04:36 AM
-That no, I cannot go out drinking with you the night before a show. Heck, I can't even go out with you NOT drinking the night before a show/because I cannot sleep until 2pm the next day as the horses need feeding & mucking!

danosaur
Sep. 5, 2009, 10:01 AM
"where'd you get your horse?"
"germany"
"...."

Also,
"horsebackriding isn't a sport. you just sit there!"
"really? cause it's the only one where you have to wear your blood type on your arm."

granted, you don't have to do that in hunters, only eventing. but that's a technicallity I don't feel the need to mention :lol:

cutemudhorse
Sep. 6, 2009, 05:37 PM
A few months ago I told someone at work that I was sending my youngsters out for training.
"Training? For what?"

"To learn how to carry a rider and listen to what they're sopposed to do."

"But they're horses. . . " Like they're supposed to automatically know what to do! :lol:

dancingequestrian85
Sep. 6, 2009, 07:34 PM
-That no, I cannot go out drinking with you the night before a show. Heck, I can't even go out with you NOT drinking the night before a show/because I cannot sleep until 2pm the next day as the horses need feeding & mucking!

I HATE that. I don't get mad and huffy when you can't go out with me the ngiht before a soccer game/ big work presentation etc.

The also never understand why I would rather go to a show or ride instead of the beach, a wine festival, shopping etc

stickwithit
Sep. 6, 2009, 09:12 PM
this was back a few years ago...
"oooh, you have a pony? aren't ponies really hard to ride?"
"yeah, they are."
"i mean, they must be SO much easier when they get older and turn into horses!"

and i thought someone actually understood.

after i came back from hits for my last few days of school in may i also got:
"how'd the show go!"
"really good. i got a couple of 2nds, a 4rth, an 8th, and a 7th in the classic. i also got..."
i just stopped there. their eyes started to glaze over.

my personal favorite is when my friend found one of my crops in my room. i good a loud "oh my gosh, you abuse animals! i can't believe you actally HIT a horse with one of these! doesn't that hurt? i bet you wouldn't like it if i hit YOU with this!" i tried to explain to them that you just give them a small tap when they misbehave, but that went right over their heads.

klmck63
Sep. 6, 2009, 09:29 PM
my personal favorite is when my friend found one of my crops in my room. i good a loud "oh my gosh, you abuse animals! i can't believe you actally HIT a horse with one of these! doesn't that hurt? i bet you wouldn't like it if i hit YOU with this!" i tried to explain to them that you just give them a small tap when they misbehave, but that went right over their heads.

:yes: I'm vegetarian and ride with a crop and spurs. People seem to find this very, very hard to reconcile. The fact that I even ride makes them kind of indignant since, you know, it's animal abuse and all.

They really don't understand why I would rather show than do any number of other things with my time and money. They're always annoyed when I can't go out because of horse stuff. They are considerate enough to ask if I won my race though. I usually just say yes. :lol: .

LulaBell
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:43 PM
My family and friends never gave two hoots about riding. Once I was on a NCAA team in college, it was all "oh, yes, my sister/cousin/niece/daughter is an NCAA athlete..."

tikihorse2
Sep. 6, 2009, 11:50 PM
I was telling my chiropractor about my two horses and he, of course, asked if I raced them. I said no, one is an Appendix Quarter horse and he was OK with that--I think that he sort of understood the Quarter horse part.

Then I went on to explain that my other horse is half TB and half Trakehner and he had NO idea what a Trakehner was, so I said it was a type of German sport horse. I saw the look on the chiro's face and immediately said, No, he doesn't play sports! :lol::lol::lol:

Kim

shadytrake
Sep. 7, 2009, 11:39 AM
Then I went on to explain that my other horse is half TB and half Trakehner and he had NO idea what a Trakehner was, so I said it was a type of German sport horse. I saw the look on the chiro's face and immediately said, No, he doesn't play sports! :lol::lol::lol:

:lol: As an AngloTK owner....ha ha ha ha...classic.

dauphine2
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:13 PM
Does anybody else understand why racing quads is a sport and riding horses isn't? The quad does all the work... ;)

Individualblue07
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:28 PM
ok not sure if someone already posted this...

but it really irks me that non-horsey friends dont understand how demanding this sport really is... I mean come on... horse shows dont run smoothly pretty much ever... I cant guarentee when i'll be done.

Ohhh and most non-horsey people dont understand that the motto of most horse shows is "hurry up and wait", or that you cant give them an exact time of when you will be showing.

The funniest one was when I told my friend I was leasing a horse... I dont understand what it is about it... but most people dont think its possible to lease a horse! haha

Mukluk
Sep. 7, 2009, 07:01 PM
Not sure if anyone said this yet. Horse has an owie.... Why would you put beer on it? (corona.....ointment.......not the beer). Ha ha ha.

klmck63
Sep. 7, 2009, 07:02 PM
Ohhh and most non-horsey people dont understand that the motto of most horse shows is "hurry up and wait", or that you cant give them an exact time of when you will be showing.

At least yours think about coming! Only my parents show up regularly (and that used to be because I couldn't drive yet). Other relatives come once in a blue moon and non-horse friends? Never! :lol:

virtus02
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:25 PM
walked into a starbucks wearing my tall boots and was asked by the woman at the register if my boots were to protect me from rattle snakes biting me. does that even make sense to anyone?!?!

DressageReine
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:44 PM
I was talking with my cousin and her husband a few months ago, both of whom bike ride. Apparently there is a difference between a mountain bike and a road bike (who knew?!). He was talking about getting a bike for the road, and I asked him if he could just use the mountain bike he had already. He said, "That'd be like you riding a donkey." :D I had much more respect for him after that conversation! :yes:

SoldierBoy96
Sep. 8, 2009, 12:56 AM
I always go into places with boots and breeches, and people ask me if I'm a jockey. Yeah, sure - all 5'8" and 170 lbs of me! And I'm pretty sure jockeys don't wear TS and Tredsteps, haha. I had a couple in Dunkin Donuts come up to me and say "Well, we were wondering if you rode horses, or motorcycles..." :D

Bens.Mom
Sep. 8, 2009, 07:21 AM
Sitting at a family dinner at the in-laws the otherday.. Thay asked how "The Horse" was.. I said I had a great lesson on him the other day, they said "i thought you knew how to ride?"

HunterJumperLuv
Sep. 8, 2009, 09:50 AM
I was out at a party with my roommate a few nights ago and she had her "BlankU Hunt Seat Team" Sweatshirt on (We have a Dressage team too,) And we got asked, "What's a Hunt Seat Team?" Now, instead of just telling them, She asked, "What do you think it is?"

The answer...

"You ride in moving cars and shoot deer. Sounds Pretty sick!"

I laughed quite quite quite a bit. When I explained it was a discipline/specialty of riding.. it took awhile. My description was... "We jump things. Dressage doesnt" That was about how much I could get thru to them. Hah!

KFC1177
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:10 AM
I have laughed so many times reading this post, its great!

I have two quick things to add:

1. stopped at bennigans on my way home to pick up take out that I phoned in. I went to the bar (where you pick up the take out) and the food wasn't ready. The waiter offered me a soda so I sat to drink the soda while I waited. Mind you I was out at the barn all day and was dirty and still had on britches, boots, spurs. So this guy walks in and sits down next to me and said "oh do you ride, I didn't see a bike in the parking lot". . too funny!

2. I was on my way home from a xc school and I was in need of a pepsi so I pulled into the McDonalds (with truck/trailer in the parking lot) and the guys looks me up and down and said "Do you ride" and i said "yes" and he said "how cool a girl that rides dirt bikes" and I laughed and said "no" and didn't think I needed to explain. Then I am pulling out of the lot and all of the heads are out the drive thru window calling out to my horse in the trailer. . .

Some people are too funny!

VA_Hunter_Aside
Sep. 8, 2009, 12:54 PM
Anything I say.

That no, having an experience on a trail horse (which has invariably run away with them, bucked them off, or "attacked" them) is not the same as riding over a 3'6" course.

LMAO!!!! My friends and I have a running joke about this! Pretty much every non-horse person any of us meet tell us the "I rode a horse once" story about themselves or someone they know. My favorite is when the horse scraped them off on a tree.

Edit to add: I guess I'm fortunate because I don't have many non-horsey friends. All the people I regularly hang out with are horsey folk. However, this scenario has played out way too much with me recently:

Person: "Oh wow! You have horses?"
Me: "Yes"
Person: "I should bring my family/girlfriend/boyfriend/kids over to your farm to see/pet them."
Me: "Erm...yeah...I'll let you know."

Where do these people get off??? It's not like they're inviting me over to their house to pet their dogs!

_downpour_
Sep. 11, 2009, 07:24 PM
My friends used to call my show outfits "costumes" or "uniforms", lol.