PDA

View Full Version : I want new half chaps, help me shop!

Mamy
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:00 PM
I have a little bit of money saved. The hallf chaps I own are just too short for me and I hate it! They are Ariats, I like them well enough. I got them off Ebay, so I got what I paid for,LOL!(meaning short!)
My calf is like 18 in(yes I am freakishly tall at 6'2) and 14 in around.( yup skinny too,lol!!)
Wht is a good half chap, that comes in tall? My paddock boots are a chocolate color, I'd really like the chaps and boots to match. Any thoughts?

heartinrye
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:02 PM
I got treadsteps in a 19" high, and 14" around. They come in brown I believe.
I wore through mine though in about a year. So I just ordered custom Pinell's - hopefully they will last longer! (The wait is killing me- they're coming in a week!)

neigh.neigh
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:08 PM
I'm 5'7" and thats the size i wear in half chaps, 14 18... so you might be different but I have tredsteps and i love them!!! They go up to height 19 so they will probably work.
http://www.beval.com/Products/Tredstep-Half-Chaps/6010012.aspx

ExtraInnings
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:09 PM
I love my treadsteps! A word to the wise though - they stretch a lot. Buy them at least a size smaller than you think you need; you should not be able to zip them without assistance the first few days. ;)

Mamy
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:23 PM
I love my treadsteps! A word to the wise though - they stretch a lot. Buy them at least a size smaller than you think you need; you should not be able to zip them without assistance the first few days. ;)

So everyone loves the treadsteps!! I will have to look into these!! If I buy them a size smaller, would this affect the height(does anyone know?)

CTRL ALT DELETE
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:24 PM
So everyone loves the treadsteps!! I will have to look into these!! If I buy them a size smaller, would this affect the height(does anyone know?)

They come in different heights. I have super long legs so I have a pair of medium talls. I have no idea what the measurements are though, sorry!!

Czar
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:43 PM
I just bought a pair of ProChaps for $100 (http://www.equusnow.com/prodview.asp?idProduct=670) off of ebay...I haven't received them yet so I can't say if they are actually as nice as they look in the picture.

They come in many different lengths like the Tredsteps but at a fraction of the price - I don't think they're the quality though of the leather Tredsteps which are very nice but I too wear through my half chaps quickly so I wanted something a little easier on the chequebook.

I really like the look of the Grand Prix half chaps as well (http://www.saddlesource.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GrandPrixLeatherHalfChaps&cat=150) but don't know how they fit.

Jumper6252
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:50 PM
I also love my tredsteps! When I went to buy mine they had me buy a 14 calf and 18 height because they said the calf would stretch. My first few times wearing them I was sweating just puttiing them on because they were so tight but now they're perfect :)

Mamy
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:55 PM
I just had a random thought, as my chaps break in, they should shrink down a bit right?( the pair I own now did...) So in theory I should by some that are taller than 18" right? I'm starting to think I am not going to get off the rack chaps .....

Aerial
Apr. 30, 2009, 09:24 PM
Yep you can get off the rack chaps that will fit you. I also have a 14" calf and at least an 18" (can't remember exactly but yes tallllll and i'm only 5'7"..short waist haha and long legs) and i bought the Ariat Classic II in skinny tall, and they've shrunk down some but they still fit me really well and look almost like tall boots with my paddock boots =) i think they were about $100

horse-loverz
Apr. 30, 2009, 09:44 PM
I got pro chaps at Rolex 3 years ago.. They still look like new.. nice and snug super comfy are washable.. due to the neoprene lining and they still look like new. I love love love these half chaps. :D

Lou-Lou
Apr. 30, 2009, 09:45 PM
Lende half chaps and Ariat. I have a pair of the Ariat Cameo Chaps and I adore them.

JB
Apr. 30, 2009, 09:46 PM
Look into Grand Prix half chaps as well. They were among a very few, several years ago, that were 1) affordable and 2) in a small enough calf AND tall enough size for me :)

Go Fish
May. 1, 2009, 03:06 AM

My Treadsteps have not stretched at all and I've been wearing them a year.

Agree...I have really long skinny bird legs. This was the only brand of half-chaps that fit. Love mine...

Drummerboy
May. 1, 2009, 06:24 AM
What type of leather on the Treadsteps stretched? Full grain or suede? I just got mine last night in the mail and had decided to send them back as I felt they were to tight, saw this and am now re thinking that? I can get them zipped, but its hard!

mvp
May. 1, 2009, 07:49 AM
Favorite and least favorite makers of custom half chaps? Especially peeps who will work at a distance with those of us sadly "geographically challenged?"

They must be tall, well-cut and pretty. Duh, right?

TIA!

Serah
May. 1, 2009, 08:37 AM
I have the D'yon chaps and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them.... They haven't stretched like the tredsteps and the snaps are SOOO much more user friendly.... They zip up the back and are really nice and tapered so they are quite attractive.... Big Fan :)

EAY
May. 1, 2009, 09:53 AM
Another vote here for Tredsteps. I have the full grain leather ones, and they haven't really stretched out much if at all. I am having trouble with one snap that is about to come off, even though I try to be careful when undoing them. Other than that, I've been really happy with them.

ExtraInnings
May. 1, 2009, 10:05 AM
I have the full grain leather Tredsteps, and in my experience, if you buy them fitting perfectly, they stretch to be a little too big and tend to sag. However, this probably varies depending on the shape of your calves and how often you ride. I have also experienced minor snaps issues - the snaps are very strong, so if you pull too hard trying to unsnap them, you can rip the snaps right out of the leather.

CFiona
May. 1, 2009, 12:40 PM
I really like the look of the Grand Prix half chaps as well (http://www.saddlesource.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GrandPrixLeatherHalfChaps&cat=150) but don't know how they fit.

I bought my Grand Prix's in 2003 and love them. I believe they were $150. I am very short and had to 'custom' order a shorter size, so its probably possible to custom order a tall pair. Totally worth it. Six years later they are still going strong and fit as tight as ever!