PDA

View Full Version : CO GR8 vs. AYR 8

pandasgirl
Apr. 30, 2009, 01:44 PM
I am doing the hunters/jumpers and DESPERATELY need a new helmet. I found a store where there is only a $20 difference between the CO GR8 and AYR 8. I like the style/classic look of the GR8, but the extra ventilation of the AYR 8 (even though it may not look as nice).

So COTHrs Which is better for the hunter/jumpers? Please share!

Pirateer
Apr. 30, 2009, 06:12 PM
The AYR8 is newer, but you can sort of see the plasticy part through the mesh on the front in the black/silver version.

It does look nice though. I have the GR8 and love it, but miss the ventilation of my GPA.

citydog
Apr. 30, 2009, 06:24 PM
Get whichever brand fits your head better. It's a piece of safety equipment first and foremost.

IslandGirl
Apr. 30, 2009, 09:18 PM
The GR8 and the AYR8 fit the same. The AYR8 has more ventilation, and if you get black on black, it doesn't look THAT much different from the GR8. I just bought an AYR8 for a show helmet, but haven't gotten to use it yet. I have a GR8 that I use to school in, which WAS my show helmet, but I just couldn't stand wearing my GPA any longer (I HATE that helmet!!!).

pandasgirl
Apr. 30, 2009, 10:48 PM
Get whichever brand fits your head better. It's a piece of safety equipment first and foremost.

They fit the same, just trying to figure out which one looks better for the hunter ring. My GPA has started to rub my forehead raw, so i need to switch to the CO, wanted to know which style is better.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:25 PM
I am suprised the GR8 fits you when the GPA is rubbing your forehead- I tried the GR8 on today and it didn't even go on my head until I moved up two sizes. It was round- as in designed for a basketball. If your hat is rubbing your forehead, then it probably means your head is oval-shaped.
If the GR8 really fits you, go for it, but having had it on my head today, I can say with resound that these are two totally different helmets. For what it's worth, my GPA leaves a red bump on my forehead as well. But it stays on my head. Which is NOT the case with the GR8.

Rhody Ram
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:37 PM
The GR8 and AYR8 do not fit the same way. I have a long oval shaped head and the GR8 sits on top of my head like a damn gigantic mushroom. The AYR8 fits perfectly. It is more low profile and fits deeper than the GR8. My GPA fits OKAY but not great. It hurts, too.

shmon
May. 1, 2009, 12:27 AM
Totally second everything RR said above. The GR8 felt like it perched really high on my head, and no matter what size I tried on (7 1/8 all the way to 7 1/2) it just never felt right. The AYR seems to sit deeper, and the 7 1/8 fit me perfectly. I LOVE how it fits, especially since i have a weird head that only a few helmets seem to fit well.

pandasgirl
May. 1, 2009, 02:54 PM
thanks for the help everyone! more comments/personal experience welcome!

pandasgirl
May. 3, 2009, 10:40 PM
still haven't gotten any answers as to which is more acceptable for the hunter/jumper ring. Comments?

WorthTheWait95
May. 3, 2009, 10:42 PM
still haven't gotten any answers as to which is more acceptable for the hunter/jumper ring. Comments?

Either one is perfectly acceptable.

I am suprised the GR8 fits you when the GPA is rubbing your forehead- I tried the GR8 on today and it didn't even go on my head until I moved up two sizes. It was round- as in designed for a basketball. If your hat is rubbing your forehead, then it probably means your head is oval-shaped.

I disagree with this. The CO's are much more oval then the GPA's by far! Even just turning them over and looking at them you can tell that much. The Gr8 is hot dog shaped while the GPA's are much more round just from a cursory glance. I've tried every model of both brands on I think and not one of the CO's fit my circular head!

weaveroni
May. 3, 2009, 11:01 PM
I also disagree that they fit the same -- I watched a friend at Rolex be fitted to a GR8 and AYR8 and the GR8, no matter what size, didn't fit her head. She tried on several sizes, and they all looked perched on top of her head, like mentioned above. The AYR8 fit in the first size tried on and sat deeper and much nicer on her head. World of difference for her!

takethestage
May. 4, 2009, 01:40 AM
OP, do you mind if I ask you where you found them for only a $20 difference? This thread helped me decide I'm going for the AYR 8, but I haven't found it for less than $315.

pandasgirl
May. 4, 2009, 10:04 AM
On Ebay. There are two international sellers whom I have used before. I guess the CO's aren't as popular over there, or as expensive to ship, the GR8 is $161, and the AYR8 is $186. I don't usually buy internationally from ebay, but I have bought other things from them and they all seemed to turn out okay, and they have good reviews. They are in Great Britain.

17hTBmare
May. 4, 2009, 11:07 AM
Can you give us the link (or name or something) to the international sellers, please??

Rhody Ram
May. 4, 2009, 01:54 PM
Bought my AYR8 from www.conchiesaddlery.uk for $180 w/ shipping

pandasgirl
May. 5, 2009, 02:11 PM
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Equiflair-Horse-Supplies__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Store Name: Equiflair

http://stores.ebay.com/OBERON-EQUESTRIAN

Store Name: Oberon Equestrian

Both can be slow on shipping, it varies.

kaazs
May. 5, 2009, 04:41 PM
Whatever fits your head best, but I prefer the look of the GR8 compared to the AYR 8

ryansgirl
May. 5, 2009, 06:46 PM
On Ebay. There are two international sellers whom I have used before. I guess the CO's aren't as popular over there, or as expensive to ship, the GR8 is $161, and the AYR8 is $186. I don't usually buy internationally from ebay, but I have bought other things from them and they all seemed to turn out okay, and they have good reviews. They are in Great Britain.

Are they ones overseas ASTM certified? I know sometimes they aren't which means they aren't considered an approved helmet here in the States. Just wondering as I love the CO helmets :yes::):yes:.

Jumper6252
May. 5, 2009, 07:14 PM
I disagree with this. The CO's are much more oval then the GPA's by far! Even just turning them over and looking at them you can tell that much. The Gr8 is hot dog shaped while the GPA's are much more round just from a cursory glance. I've tried every model of both brands on I think and not one of the CO's fit my circular head!

That's what I was thinking. I have a very round big head and the GPA fits me perfect while the GR8 is way to oval for my head and just perches on my head.

Rhody Ram
May. 5, 2009, 07:47 PM
Yes they are. I just bought one from Scotland and it has the ASTM and SEI certification on the inside. It says on those ads that it is kitemarked to the PAS (overseas) standards and now ASTM/SEI.