PDA

View Full Version : Does this look like a testicle to you??

wlrottge
Apr. 29, 2009, 07:18 PM
Ok, Trak/Dutch/TB cross "gelding", will be two in June. Was gelded as a yearling... but... WTF is this? DW says it feels like "a golf ball in a sock".

http://community.webshots.com/album/571555045kEbkhN

sid
Apr. 29, 2009, 07:27 PM
Yep...looks like a small testicle. Or, it could be a tumor. I'd have a good repro vet look at him right away.

RnR
Apr. 29, 2009, 07:29 PM
Definitely resembles one to me!

But I can't claim I am a horse testicle expert by any means. It would be my first guess though.

wlrottge
Apr. 29, 2009, 07:31 PM
I've already sent the pics to my vet and will be contacting the vet that did the procedure tomorrow.

Lulu
Apr. 29, 2009, 07:32 PM
In my limited experience, I always take hard masses more seriously than squishy ones. Has this been slow-growing or did it appear quickly? I agree that you might want to have this assessed in the near future to be safe.

wlrottge
Apr. 29, 2009, 07:38 PM
DW "cleaned him" ~3 months ago and definitely does NOT remember that being there. We just noticed it ~1hr ago.

movo
Apr. 29, 2009, 07:41 PM
My gelding got one of those at 12 years old. It just appeared one day, but was bigger. It is an inguinal hernia. My vet thought it was a testicle, but when he got into it, it was not.

<<<The inguinal hernia is created when a piece of intestine slips down the area adjacent to the inguinal canal (the passage, just under the pelvis, that the stalk of the testicles travels from the abdomen to the scrotum) and dissects into the tissue between the hindlegs. The scrotal hernia is formed when the intestine slips down the inguinal canal and goes directly down into the scrotum (the sack of skin that houses the testicles).>>>

bluroan
Apr. 29, 2009, 07:47 PM
That looks like a testicle. This happened to my gelding, bought him at 18 mos, gelded. Then 2 mos later had a similar "lump", called my vet who said it was a testicle and what probably happened is that one testicle may have not dropped upon the original gelding, so the vet left it. The breeder who I bought him from was unaware of this so sold him as a gelding. Poor guy had to go thru it all over again.:no:

peskee
Apr. 29, 2009, 07:50 PM
It looks to me like your vet could be giving you a free gelding. My vet gelded one of our young horses and 2 years later did a free gelding......he was highly embarassed at how he would have missed one. Vets are not perfect.....

CFiona
Apr. 29, 2009, 07:52 PM
Whatever it is, that sure is one eye-catching thread title ~ it sure made me look twice!

creseida
Apr. 29, 2009, 07:54 PM
My first guess was going to be hernia. My second, that he had an undescended testicle (sometimes they do grow "extras"), possibly a tumor and also possibly a tick bite. My mare got one that looked a LOT like that right behind her udder, and it was a tick bite.

Whatever it is, I'm glad you've got the vet on notice.

wlrottge
Apr. 29, 2009, 07:55 PM
Whatever it is, that sure is one eye-catching thread title ~ it sure made me look twice!

Yeah, I was looking to get some traffic!! lol

I'm going out to "put hands on it" here in a second.... At least attempt to determine if it's spherical.

Given this vets track record with us and others as of late, I think I'd rather make them pay our new vet to do the work.

deltawave
Apr. 29, 2009, 08:29 PM
Yep, this takes the cake for "most bizarre thread title" thus far this year, I think.

No wonder this site is fire-walled at one of my offices! :lol:

wlrottge
Apr. 29, 2009, 08:31 PM
Ok, so since I have a little more in-depth frame of testicular reference....

It definitely feels spherical and not attached at the top, BUT it's not nearly as firm as what I would consider testicle tissue. Not hot and he didn't mind it being handled and felt (I'm going to need therapy for this). I'll talk to our vet tomorrow and see what her thoughts are.

mswillie
Apr. 29, 2009, 08:35 PM
My first guess would be hernia.

Bluey
Apr. 29, 2009, 08:52 PM
My first guess would be hernia.If it is squishy and can be pushed up, probably a hernia.
If it was some kind of tumor, probably benign, I think it would feel more firm.

We had a colt born with an inguinal hernia and he had THREE bumps in there.:eek:
We luckily checked him over, as his "bag" was too large and full for a newborn and had the vet right out and it could have become serious.
He required emergency surgery at two days old and thankfully never had another health problem during his long life.

Let us know what the vet finds. I hope it is nothing and will go down on it's own.:yes:

midkniggit
Apr. 29, 2009, 09:39 PM
My gelding has something similar. Does this come and go? Does it feel solid, or like a water balloon? My vet (not the one who gelded him) said that sometimes you get a pocket that can then fill with fluid. He says it's harmless as long as it doesn't bother the horse. I keep an eye on it, and sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. I would definitely still get it checked out, but it's not necessarily a problem.

BornToRide
Apr. 29, 2009, 09:42 PM
I also would have a talk with the vet - that's not normal.

vacation1
Apr. 29, 2009, 09:43 PM
Best thread title ever.:lol:

Ghazzu
Apr. 29, 2009, 10:29 PM
Can't open the link, but an ultrasound might be a quick way to ID it.
Could well be an inguinal hernia, as was mentioned above, or a hydrocele.

cllane1
Apr. 29, 2009, 10:37 PM
We're getting it checked out by the vet tomorrow. Quick question: if it's a hernia of some type, will it go away on its own, or will it require surgery?

Thanks, all, for looking at our guy's mystery testicle!

pines4equines
Apr. 29, 2009, 10:49 PM
Okay, you MUST follow up with us....

I mean maybe it's the old adage: If it looks like a testicle, feels like a testicle, then it must be one?

movo
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:59 AM
We're getting it checked out by the vet tomorrow. Quick question: if it's a hernia of some type, will it go away on its own, or will it require surgery?

Thanks, all, for looking at our guy's mystery testicle!

If it's a hernia, it will have to be surgically repaired. Not really a big deal surgery though. My horse was done at the local vet office under a general, but he does not sedate well.

2DaPoint
Apr. 30, 2009, 09:27 AM
hhheeeellllllllllooooooooo???? Inquiring minds want to know what the vet had to say!!
KD

wlrottge
Apr. 30, 2009, 10:27 AM
hhheeeellllllllllooooooooo???? Inquiring minds want to know what the vet had to say!!
KD

Have tried calling twice, still waiting to talk to her, gimme a break, I'm trying!!! lol

sketcher
Apr. 30, 2009, 02:40 PM
called my vet who said it was a testicle and what probably happened is that one testicle may have not dropped upon the original gelding, so the vet left it. The breeder who I bought him from was unaware of this so sold him as a gelding.

Wow. If the breeder really didn't kow about it I would hope they might find themselves a new vet. That's kind of stupid for a vet to knowingly leave behind a testicle and not say anything. Actually, not that I typed that I see how stupid that sounds. Hard to believe the breeder wasn't told and maybe played dumb?

mr_miamis_mom
Apr. 30, 2009, 03:19 PM
It could also be swelling or hematoma from a bug bite or sting. Occasionally my guy has gotten these.

Woodland
Apr. 30, 2009, 04:11 PM
My gelding got one of those at 12 years old. It just appeared one day, but was bigger. It is an inguinal hernia. My vet thought it was a testicle, but when he got into it, it was not.

<<<The inguinal hernia is created when a piece of intestine slips down the area adjacent to the inguinal canal (the passage, just under the pelvis, that the stalk of the testicles travels from the abdomen to the scrotum) and dissects into the tissue between the hindlegs. The scrotal hernia is formed when the intestine slips down the inguinal canal and goes directly down into the scrotum (the sack of skin that houses the testicles).>>>

This is what you have er..He has...I believe so any way.

Excellent title:cool:

HoustonFarrier
Apr. 30, 2009, 04:18 PM
Have had 2 geldings of mine with inguinal "hernias"....both were fixed and suffered no ill effects. They are more common in the bigger breeds with an already big inguinal canal.

Steve

cllane1
Apr. 30, 2009, 04:54 PM
I saw the vet today for a different reason, and asked about bringing the boy in, and she said she can wait to see him early next week (we are going out of town for the weekend) as long as it doesn't seem to cause him discomfort and he isn't exhibiting any colicky symptoms (which he isn't). Her thoughts were newly descended testicle, inguinal hernia, or just some kind of mass. So we'll probably take him over there on Monday and solve the mystery!

oldbutnotdead
May. 6, 2009, 11:45 PM
Any update?

ThreeFigs
May. 7, 2009, 12:06 AM
Yes! Update, please!

bluroan
May. 8, 2009, 09:02 PM
Wow. If the breeder really didn't kow about it I would hope they might find themselves a new vet. That's kind of stupid for a vet to knowingly leave behind a testicle and not say anything. Actually, not that I typed that I see how stupid that sounds. Hard to believe the breeder wasn't told and maybe played dumb?

The guy I bought the horse from owned the stud and someone else ran the breeding business. My vet acknowledged that any vet that would do this is really unethical. My vet felt so bad about not catching this in the pre-purchase exam that he gelded him for expenses only and didn't charge me for his time.

Fairview Horse Center
May. 8, 2009, 09:13 PM
My stallion had something similar. No really. ;) :lol:

Just next to one of his testicles, he had a lump. Freely moving under the skin. I thought it may have been some kind of sarcoid. Vet palped it and wanted to take him in for surgery if it continued to get bigger and started bothering him. Well, it did, and they rechecked. I didn't want to take him in during breeding season, and also fly season, so I just watched it thru the Spring/Summer. Before I could arrange to take him in, last fall it popped and drained. The vet said he thinks now it was some kind of tiny foreign body that caused an abscess like pocket to develop. Thankfully, it healed perfectly.

oldbutnotdead
May. 14, 2009, 01:36 PM
Twitching with anticipation. Update? Or at least tell us that your horse no longer feels comfortable discussing problems in his "swimsuit area" on the board! ;)

chai
May. 14, 2009, 01:50 PM
First, I have to say I had to smile when I read the title of your thread, because who else but horsewomen would flock to this subject to read more, examine photos and offer opinions to help out!

I hope your horse is ok, and I hope to see an update soon. Definitely ask your vet to ultrasound the area.
My Shire had something similar: two golfball-size lumps in his sheath, where the sheath attaches to the body. They could not be seen by the eye, as in your horse's case, but you can feel them easily and I was in a panic that he had tumors.
The vet did an ultrasound on them and it turned out that they are scar tissue from being gelded in a poorly done surgery when he was young. They do not bother him, but I make sure she checks on them a few times a year to make sure there are no changes.
Good luck. Please let us know what the news is.

cllane1
May. 14, 2009, 08:31 PM
I told Chase (the gelding (?) in question), "Never let anyone take naked pictures of you b/c they will end up on the internet for sure!" and they have! ;)

Vet has okayed a wait and see approach for right now, as it does not bother him and he's showing no colic symptoms or discomfort. Plus we just finished paying a big bill from another horse, so we're having to save up to get this guy checked out, hopefully in a week or two!