PDA

View Full Version : To Ride Aside???

Mythology
Apr. 29, 2009, 07:13 PM
So does anyone in the hunter/jumper world on the east coast ride aside (side saddle) in the hunters? I just moved from the west coast and no one rode aside at the A or bigger shows... Does it happen here? I would love to get back into it, but I want to be able to show my horses. Also does anyone know of a good aside trainer in the Lexington Kentucky area with show ring experience? So I can scrape the rust off, so to speak :winkgrin:...
Thanks in Advance

trooper345
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:24 AM
You will see people aside in various hunter classes on this coast but many times they are just getting in some practice for the bigger shows that have large sidesaddle divisions. (Upperville, Devon, Washington, Harrisburg etc..)

Sorry, don't know any trainers down that way but I do know there are several weel known good ones up here in VA so maybe they can point you in the right direction :)

The hunting forum is where the sidesaddle people usually post.

Mythology
Apr. 30, 2009, 10:27 AM
thanks trooper345. I heard that their are sidesaddle classes at the bigger shows over here. Are they flat? over fences? Judged as hunter classes? Is their a whole division? Anything you can tell me would be appreciated as there is no such class on the West Coast. I also posted this in the hunting section! thanks again:D

Irish Ei's
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:54 AM
thanks trooper345. I heard that their are sidesaddle classes at the bigger shows over here. Are they flat? over fences? Judged as hunter classes? Is their a whole division? Anything you can tell me would be appreciated as there is no such class on the West Coast. I also posted this in the hunting section! thanks again:D

All of the above at Devon, 3 weeks from now.
Unfortunately, I don't have their Website or prizelist handy.....

Holly Jeanne
Apr. 30, 2009, 12:53 PM
There is a sidesaddle clinic at Masterson Station on Saturday. If you don't have info, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll forward it. Once you scape off the rust, can you come help me scrape off the rust and get a young horses started. Got the saddle but not sure it will fit my 6 yo. May have to wait for my youngster to be ready. :cool:

dab
Apr. 30, 2009, 01:26 PM
The bigger shows that I'm aware of that offer sidesaddle all have an entire division -- You can usually count on u/s, hunter hack, and o/f -- Some also offer a pleasure u/s -- At Harrisburg, the u/s includes western riders --

There's a sidesaddle organization that offers some clinics and hosts a show, but I can't remember what it's called -- I know some of their activities are held at Gladstone --

Sidesaddle is usually held on Wed at Devon ... that should be 5/27 this year --

The Kimberton Hunt show at Radnor (PA) offers sidesaddle, and I think many ladies use it as their warmup for Devon -- They seem to attract riders from as far away as VA -- That show was last weekend --

I think the both Quentin shows before Devon offer it -- St Christophers, next week, definitely offers the division http://www.ryegate.com/SHOWS/stchris/prize%20list%20web.pdf --

trooper345
Apr. 30, 2009, 01:30 PM
Upperville usually has a really well attended SS division, I believe it is an O/F class, and U/S class and a hackt hat includes 2 jumps? Link here-

http://www.upperville.com/forms/2009%20prize%20list.pdf

Washington International (October) has the same

chunky munky
Apr. 30, 2009, 01:35 PM
I believe that Kit Roszko has been the ram rod behind that group. I think they are called the Liberty Network. ( not sure why...) I think their show, etc is maybe in June. Shouldn't be hard to find them. Try google. Maybe you can start a new group in KY :)

gottagrey
Apr. 30, 2009, 01:55 PM
my former trainer used to ride saddle saddle all the time - in whatever hunter/jumper and sometimes event and dressage show she felt like it.. some of the judges (and spectators) were [and can be] a bit put off by it - don't know why... I was at a hunter pace a couple of weeks ago and a gal there rode side-saddle... there is a network of ladies who ride side-saddle fairly regularly and a woman, sidesaddlerdr (sp?) posts often on this BB so you might check w/ her about it...

Mythology
Apr. 30, 2009, 06:15 PM
Wow, thanks everyone for all the great info!
Holly Jeanne- I was already contacted by a rider in that clinic and she signed me up this morning! I'm very excited, just hope no one laughts at my rust! :lol: But it should be very fun. Are you going? Is anyone else out there in COTH land going this weekend?

Upperville and Devon sound great, but I'm sure not ready to go in the show ring yet... I'm looking foward to next year. Out of curiosity is it allowable to ride stallions in the SS division? Only well behaved of course...

SidesaddleRider
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:47 PM
Out of curiosity is it allowable to ride stallions in the SS division? Only well behaved of course...

No, stallions are prohibited from being ridden in the sidesaddle division. It is in the USEF rules.

Holly Jeanne
May. 1, 2009, 08:41 AM
I can't come this weekend. Haven't had a sidesaddle horse for a while now but keep hanging onto my saddle. Have fun this weekend and let me know how it goes! :)