PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate Price For Embroidery

eqrider1234
Apr. 29, 2009, 03:31 PM
For christmas my parents bought me a Brother se350 which does sewing and embroidery, so I am in the process of embroidering all of my things. Many of the people at my barn have commented on them and mentioned that they wanted me to do their stuff too!

I would like to make a little buisness out of this. It isnt cheap and it adds up quickly and it is pretty time consuming but I dont mind it, I'm pretty crafty :cool: Anyways what do you feel are apropriate prices for:

Show Shirt Collars?
Baby pads?
Polo wraps?
shipping quilts?
Standing wraps?

I can't think of anything else.. but Im sure theres more, suggestions are welcome because I really don't know what to charge since i'm not a professional embroiderer by any means but would like to at least be able to cover my costs and make a little so I can save up for new horse stuff :lol::lol:

findeight
Apr. 29, 2009, 03:54 PM
Do you already own the basic text choices people would want embroidered, you know, on a dvd or tape, come with the machine, maybe? Or would you have to buy or have them made up?

How about sizes, you can usually go up or down about 35% size wise, any bigger(like for a blanket) or smaller (like for a hat) and you have to work off another dvd/tape.

Most embroiderers charge based on the number of stitches in the monogram, logo or name. They also base it on how many pieces are going in with the same design or name-for example, 9k stitches, 3"x3" logo, pre exsisting tape or dvd, left chest on a single shirt would be $12, be $6 if you have 12 or more pieces.

You run into more costs if you have to design or buy the logo from a designer, even common clip art has a cost to drop it and convert to a stitch pattern.

eqrider1234
Apr. 29, 2009, 04:02 PM
My machine already came with 70 designs (flowers, swirleys etc.) and 6 different fonts, and 120 frames and outlines, it has a card slot in the side, so If and when I need new designs, like horses for example I have to buy the card which is about $60 dollars on ebay and i think it comes with 20 or so horses.

The font you can do small medium or large, and then go up and down by percent to get it just right.

It does a really good job and I took a class to learn how to use it and am joining an embroidery club (yes i know dorky haha) so I can learn alot about it. The lady said ill be the youngest member of the club but oh well :lol:

Lora
Apr. 29, 2009, 04:08 PM
My machine already came with 70 designs (flowers, swirleys etc.) and 6 different fonts, and 120 frames and outlines, it has a card slot in the side, so If and when I need new designs, like horses for example I have to buy the card which is about $60 dollars on ebay and i think it comes with 20 or so horses.

The font you can do small medium or large, and then go up and down by percent to get it just right.

It does a really good job and I took a class to learn how to use it and am joining an embroidery club (yes i know dorky haha) so I can learn alot about it. The lady said ill be the youngest member of the club but oh well :lol:

Add some bling to it - get a BeDazzler!

eqrider1234
Apr. 29, 2009, 04:12 PM
Add some bling to it - get a BeDazzler!

HAHA! Now that you mention it.. I'm pretty sure I already have one of those.. I will have to go digging in my closet to find it :lol:

Hunter Mom
Apr. 29, 2009, 04:16 PM
My MIL does embroidery, and she finds a lot of designs on line where she can buy just a few at a time. I'd charge a little more for a really individualized design you have to buy, but probably less for a basic monogram or something. Check with your local shop and see what they charge - I imagine it is different in different areas.

meupatdoes
Apr. 29, 2009, 04:17 PM
So how much is an embroidery machine, anyway?

eqrider1234
Apr. 29, 2009, 04:26 PM
mine was around $400 dollars, it is a less expensive one since it is only a 4x4 but it also does sewing which I like. The other machines comprable such as singer were over $1000! So it really just depends on what you want.

ExJumper
Apr. 29, 2009, 04:29 PM
A few suggestions:

1) Get a jumbo hoop with three positions. It's still not big enough that you'll really be able to do BIG things like long names on coolers, but even for baby pads it's come in very handy. However, "splitting" designs is not trivial nor is it quite as easy as you are hoping it will be :) So I HIGHLY recommend that you:

2) Purchase the Embird software. It's a godsend! Not only can you buy fints, but you'll be able to adjust and arrange things MUCH better than you can trying to just use the machine. In fact, in my experience it will be impossible to do what you want to do without the software. Unless you are doing EXTREMELY simple things or ONLY using the individual designs that come on the machine, you're going to be very unhappy trying to just use the machine. The ability to size your fonts in Embird alone is worth the price. I think it's $115 or so. Each font library you buy is $15. I bought 4 of the alphabets.

3) You'll need a card reader to get your designs from your computer where you make them with Embird to your machine. PEDBasic is the one I use. The blank card and reader I got on eBay. Embird I bought online and all you have to do is download it and then put in your activation key. You can use it free for 14 days, I think.

4) Once you have Embird, a blank card, and a card writer you can get a TON of designs either free or really cheap. I bought a few CDs full of designs on eBay for practically nothing. PlaneteEmbroidery.com can make some beautiful monograms for free (for many designs) or for about a buck. There are also lots of websites where you can buy .pes designs for super cheap.

Enjoy! I've gotten a LOT of use out of my machine, but I'm not good to tell you what to charge. I do almost all my stuff for free :) Presents and favors and stuff. If I do pads for money, it's a bulk price for the pad and the ribbon and the embroidery.

CFiona
Apr. 29, 2009, 06:33 PM
I think I've paid $8 - $16 for my show collars in the past, and about $15 for a saddle pad.

Mach Two
Apr. 30, 2009, 04:53 AM
A few years ago the professional shop down from the tack shop I used to manage got 20.00-30.00 for a three letter saddle pad monogram, about 14 or 15 for a collar. They had lots of fonts and colors, and could work up the design on a computer screen, stitches and all, to show the customer before the work started.(since you really can't pull out an entire embroidery and start over) I have no doubt that your new machine is really nice and up to date...just be aware that offering your services as a pro (and you should get paid for the work, after all it's not free for YOU to do it) can make some folks very demanding. Do it because you love to do it, and you should do fine.
Best of luck in your new venture.

Vixenish
Apr. 30, 2009, 12:51 PM
I pay $12/collar at my local shop in California (one color monogram, either three letter or single initial). I'd pay $15 for a baby pad. You might want to make sure your prices are competetive with what Dover or SmartPak charges to monogram certain items.

pandasgirl
Apr. 30, 2009, 12:58 PM
I usually pay $5 for a collar from a saddlery, but since you are doing it on your own, maybe $7

I would recommend charging for the size of the pattern. Have some suggested sizes for each item (baby pad- 3 or 4 inches, etc.) Like someone else said earlier, charge appropriately for the patterns you have to buy/how much use you will get out of them.

Sounds like fun! Wish I had the talent to do it!

Mee
Apr. 30, 2009, 01:37 PM
I'm in the Pacific Northwest, and I used to work in the logo apparel and advertising specialty industry until a few weeks ago. We would charge 5.25 to sew anything up to 8,000 stitches in addition to the digitizing cost of 45.00. This is assuming that the customer was providing the item to be embroidered. If we were purchasing the item for them, the cost of embroidery was less at 3.50 each. Digitizing was a one-time only charge for anything custom. If someone used a stock design we charged 10.00 - 15.00 for set-up depending on the customer.

When it came to straight monogramming for people who bring in their own items, it would depend on the size of the monogram and if they were picky about fonts. It the customer would use an existing font, we would only charge a nominal fee to set it up at 10.00 then the 5.25 to sew it on as long as the total stitch count was 8,000 stitches or less.

For designs larger than 8,000 stitches we charged an additional .60 cents per thousand over. The average logo without a lot of fill usually sits right around 8,000 stitches.

Also, you may want to check out dakotacollectibles.com. They have many different digitized designs for purchase. I think there is also a trade industry magazine called Embroidery or something like it through ASI. ASI is a national organization for the Advertising Specialty Industry. Embroidery is considered one aspect of of the ASI industry.

Smiles, Mee

Pirateer
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:06 PM
I usually pay around $7 for a collar.
I also had standing wraps done for $7/wrap.
Pads at $12 pad (baby pads)