PDA

View Full Version : NCAA equestrian insider knowledge

easysleeper
Apr. 29, 2009, 12:35 AM
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on a few different colleges.
1. If a representative from SMU, Georgia or Auburn is on COTH please PM me.
2. I was wondering about the quality of the horses the schools use. (I heard they can be bad at times.)
3. Which schools have the best, knowledgeable coaches?

I have just started looking into colleges and would like some inside opinions of NCAA.
Thanks!!!

slp
Apr. 29, 2009, 07:36 AM
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on a few different colleges.
1. If a representative from SMU, Georgia or Auburn is on COTH please PM me.
2. I was wondering about the quality of the horses the schools use. (I heard they can be bad at times.)
3. Which schools have the best, knowledgeable coaches?

I have just started looking into colleges and would like some inside opinions of NCAA.
Thanks!!!

Any "official" representative from any of these schools could get into trouble with the NCAA if they randomly contacted you; there are very strict rules in place about how and when they can contact potential recruits.

tbhuntergirl
Apr. 29, 2009, 03:21 PM
I don't ride for any of those schools, but I do ride for University of South Carolina's NCAA team, so I do have experience with the horses. UGA and Auburn's horses (the ones they use in shows) are mostly nice horses that people have donated for various reasons. Generally, they have soundness issues or the owners weren't able to sell them. Can't tell you a whole lot about SMU's horses, but I can almost guarantee they are not as nice as the other two's.

As far as coaching goes, South Carolina's hunt seat coach is awesome. :) I know that UGA has had some issues with riders liking their coaches--at least that is what I've heard. I don't know about Auburn or SMU.

I hope that helps.

juniormom
Apr. 30, 2009, 03:04 PM
You will get your best and most accurate information from talking with students on the teams at any individual school. They can tell you what it is like to be on the team, etc. Good luck and give some consideration to the IHSA programs too. It depends on what your objectives are, but some of the IHSA programs are very competitive, more laid back throughout the year, do not have restrictions on earning money on your own horses, and still give you an opportunity for finals at the end of the year.

Tha Ridge
Apr. 30, 2009, 03:12 PM
I ride for SMU. Feel free to PM if you like.

Aubreyyy
Apr. 30, 2009, 04:17 PM
I checked out USC's team.

Depending on how old you are, the coaches may not even be able to talk to you, but I went to a couple of the shows. I reccommend you do the same if you can! I decided I HATED the format after watching them.

momof3
Apr. 30, 2009, 07:00 PM
Unless you are 'known' and competitive at the 3'6" level, the chances of you getting on the team at the better NCAA schools is pretty slim. Schools are now actively recruiting the top riders, and are getting them. You have the riders that have won or ribboned at various finals now going the NCAA route. Some of the 'not as competitive' NCAA schools may be an option, but many of those don't give scholarship money if that is something you are looking for as well. You should first go to Varsity Equestrian and the NCAA Clearinghouse, and learn about NCAA rules though--very strict for contacting potential athletes.

CFiona
May. 1, 2009, 01:11 PM
Some of the 'not as competitive' NCAA schools may be an option, but many of those don't give scholarship money if that is something you are looking for as well.

I think this depends - a friend of mine just got accepted to SDSU (South Dakota State) with scholarship money.

hj0519
May. 1, 2009, 02:26 PM
I checked out USC's team.

Depending on how old you are, the coaches may not even be able to talk to you, but I went to a couple of the shows. I reccommend you do the same if you can! I decided I HATED the format after watching them.

Yeah, definitely go see the shows and see if you like the format - I don't really like the format either, I like IHSA better because it's more like "regular" horse show format. I didn't like the whole head-to-head thing and doing a flat test and not a flat class.

Windswept Stable
May. 1, 2009, 07:34 PM
I think this depends - a friend of mine just got accepted to SDSU (South Dakota State) with scholarship money.

I hope your friend visited South Dakota in winter to get a feel for what its like.

CFiona
May. 1, 2009, 08:15 PM
I hope your friend visited South Dakota in winter to get a feel for what its like.

Hahaha, funny you mention that! She did just visit, I believe it was February or March, but of course it was a beautiful day! Blue skies, not a cloud for miles! Of course it was cold as H*$# but it was beautiful and I think it sucked her right in! They always get the Freshman that way don't they?

I asked her "You know, it is South DAKOTA. Are you SURE you know what you are doing?" :) And she said she is ready for it. She's been though some nasty winters here, and she works at a barn with no covered arena, not really even a covered aisle, since she was 11. She's just excited to have an indoor arena and real plumbing!

Windswept Stable
May. 2, 2009, 08:06 AM
Hahaha, funny you mention that! She did just visit, I believe it was February or March, but of course it was a beautiful day! Blue skies, not a cloud for miles! Of course it was cold as H*$# but it was beautiful and I think it sucked her right in! They always get the Freshman that way don't they?

I asked her "You know, it is South DAKOTA. Are you SURE you know what you are doing?" :) And she said she is ready for it. She's been though some nasty winters here, and she works at a barn with no covered arena, not really even a covered aisle, since she was 11. She's just excited to have an indoor arena and real plumbing!

My daughter visited there about 4 yrs ago to see about riding there--it was so cold, the wind was howling and it was freezing cold... and we were there in October. And it was snowing & blowing at the HOMECOMING FOOTBALL GAME. I went back to the hotel and my daughter said she had to keep going to the bathroom to find warmth because she could not feel her toes! That was in early or mid October. I can only imagine what real winter is like.
Scholarship offer was GREAT... but too cold. Otherwise a great school.
Super nice people at the college.

slp
May. 2, 2009, 11:20 PM
A fully funded NCAA riding program has 15 full scholarships to offer every year. They can give out full rides or divide the scholarships up as they see fit. I don't know if all of the schools that participate are fully funded or not.

kaazs
May. 3, 2009, 12:15 AM
I just got back from USC's (South Carolina) Equestrian Clinic today. The coaches gave us a lot of information about their team and NCAA rules, as well as great riding instruction on flat and jumping. I'm not sure if any of the colleges you are looking at do Clinics but I highly recommend going to one if they offer it, to get a feel of what that school is looking for. :)

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs038.snc1/3322_189098780570_808605570_6734598_4258266_n.jpg

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
May. 3, 2009, 01:58 AM
Unless you are 'known' and competitive at the 3'6" level, the chances of you getting on the team at the better NCAA schools is pretty slim. Schools are now actively recruiting the top riders, and are getting them. You have the riders that have won or ribboned at various finals now going the NCAA route. Some of the 'not as competitive' NCAA schools may be an option, but many of those don't give scholarship money if that is something you are looking for as well. You should first go to Varsity Equestrian and the NCAA Clearinghouse, and learn about NCAA rules though--very strict for contacting potential athletes.

Truth.

I'm a pretty decent rider... I've shown some in the 3's and 4's and the USET, but not consistently since my horse is 20 and has some soundness issues. I was turned down by my school. They told me things at my try-out that were contradictory (that I got in too short when I had a fine spot and too short when I found a longer spot at the next fence), as well as telling me things about my riding that were untrue (said my leg swung badly, which is doesn't and that I was too short at 5'7").

I would have appreciated them just saying "we're going to sign this girl who won year ends in the Childrens/Junior/Green hunters because it looks better on our website. But they had to, by some rule I'm sure, throw me on a horse and watch me ride. I didn't have the name and the record for them to publish, so I was passed over.

I'm currently looking for a horse that I can do the High A/O's on and maybe go to YR's with. Just wait... if I go to YR's the same coach will be beating down the door to get me on the team. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitter or angry, I'm offering this as info for someone out there who might have a chance to build the kind of reputation these teams are looking for....

One door closed, another opened for me. :yes:

Tha Ridge
May. 3, 2009, 03:00 AM
Wow, Smile, where do you go to school? I'm sorry that you were treated badly during tryouts.

I know that, while not every girl on my team receives scholarship money, most who try out DO make it on the team and receive all of the benefits that come along with that. I guess it just varies wildly from school to school.

BearWolf
May. 3, 2009, 07:40 AM
I was given a scholarship and rode on the team at St. Andrews Presbyterian College and they have a fantastic riding program and a multi-million dollar facility. In my opinion, the best equestrian teams right now are the following:

UVA
SCAD
Sweet Briar College
St. Andrews College

Many of the best equestrian colleges do not even participate in NCAA due to its limitations and format. The schools that participate in ANRC usually have the most talented riders and horses from my experience. Hope this helps.

slp
May. 3, 2009, 10:12 AM
I was given a scholarship and rode on the team at St. Andrews Presbyterian College and they have a fantastic riding program and a multi-million dollar facility. In my opinion, the best equestrian teams right now are the following:

UVA
SCAD
Sweet Briar College
St. Andrews College

Many of the best equestrian colleges do not even participate in NCAA due to its limitations and format. The schools that participate in ANRC usually have the most talented riders and horses from my experience. Hope this helps.

There are a ton of academic scholarships out there at many school. D-3 schools are not allowed to give athletic scholarships to anyone. That said, the good athletes usually will get some nice academic money.

BearWolf
May. 3, 2009, 11:01 AM
Not sure what you are referring to in the above post. Despite its small student body, St. Andrews is NOT a division 3 college, its in Division 2. Furthermore, I was given an academic and athletic scholarship there and the equestrian team does not participate in NCAA due to its limitations. They would rather participate in ANRC which is much more competitive than the NCAA shows and have the flexibility to compete in Florida during the winter at the major A shows. Perhaps you should check your facts before making broad statements.....

justathought
May. 3, 2009, 03:28 PM
Wow, Smile, where do you go to school? I'm sorry that you were treated badly during tryouts.

I know that, while not every girl on my team receives scholarship money, most who try out DO make it on the team and receive all of the benefits that come along with that. I guess it just varies wildly from school to school.

Can't speak for all NCAA schoolks but DD was told at two schools - yes they would look at her if she really wanted but the team is recruited and the liklihood of making it is very very small. DD was not sure about the commitment to an NCAA sport so it wasn't an issue... but it was an interesting response

momof3
May. 3, 2009, 05:00 PM
"Originally Posted by momof3
Some of the 'not as competitive' NCAA schools may be an option, but many of those don't give scholarship money if that is something you are looking for as well.

I think this depends - a friend of mine just got accepted to SDSU (South Dakota State) with scholarship money."

Well, I did say "many" won't offer scholarships. I know that say, for instance Kansas State offers no money. SDSU may 'need' to to entice kids there.

I'd still say, unless you are "known" in the BigEq world (or your the kid of a BNT haha) your chances are slim at a ranked NCAA school.

toxicity
May. 3, 2009, 07:17 PM
I've heard since the economy's down, that colleges have been receiving greenies instead of proven show/packer horses as donations, so recruiters are looking for riders with experience training green horses instead of the BigEq champions. My friend was recently accepted the Kansas State team and she's never been to an "A" show because of money difficulties. I'm no expert or anything, though.

SaturdayNightLive
May. 3, 2009, 08:33 PM
Well, I did say "many" won't offer scholarships. I know that say, for instance Kansas State offers no money.

Now I know for a fact that that's not true.

Tha Ridge
May. 3, 2009, 09:35 PM
Well, I did say "many" won't offer scholarships. I know that say, for instance Kansas State offers no money. SDSU may 'need' to to entice kids there.

Um, as SaturdayNightLive said... this is not true. K-State is a D1 school, with a D1 program, therefore, due to Title IX, they are required to give out a certain amount in scholarship money.

kaazs
May. 3, 2009, 10:03 PM
I've heard since the economy's down, that colleges have been receiving greenies instead of proven show/packer horses as donations, so recruiters are looking for riders with experience training green horses instead of the BigEq champions. My friend was recently accepted the Kansas State team and she's never been to an "A" show because of money difficulties. I'm no expert or anything, though.

That's really good to hear. I am in the same situation. I always get the greenies, and spend the time working with them instead doing the BigEq at A shows due to whole money situation.

Windswept Stable
May. 4, 2009, 07:12 AM
Um, as SaturdayNightLive said... this is not true. K-State is a D1 school, with a D1 program, therefore, due to Title IX, they are required to give out a certain amount in scholarship money.

Agreed-- Kansas state does offer scholarship money to recruits.

slp
May. 4, 2009, 07:56 AM
Not sure what you are referring to in the above post. Despite its small student body, St. Andrews is NOT a division 3 college, its in Division 2. Furthermore, I was given an academic and athletic scholarship there and the equestrian team does not participate in NCAA due to its limitations. They would rather participate in ANRC which is much more competitive than the NCAA shows and have the flexibility to compete in Florida during the winter at the major A shows. Perhaps you should check your facts before making broad statements.....

Then perhaps you shouldn't have made the broad statement of including UVa, Sweet Briar and SCAD in the same category. Yes, you are correct St. Andrew's does have scholarship for their equestrian team, but they compete ANRC and the discussion on this post was about NCAA. UVa is a NCAA Div.1 school, and their equestrian team is club. SDAC is NAIA (I have no idea what their scholarship rules are), not NCAA. And Sweet Briar is NCAA Div.3.

Probably the most important parts for any athlete considering any school are to also take into account the academic challenges (i.e if you have a 2000+ on your SAT, don't go to a school where they average SAT is 1300), the schools location, and the all important question "If I can't compete in my sport anymore would I still want to attend school here?".

slp
May. 4, 2009, 08:06 AM
Truth.

I'm a pretty decent rider... I've shown some in the 3's and 4's and the USET, but not consistently since my horse is 20 and has some soundness issues. I was turned down by my school. They told me things at my try-out that were contradictory (that I got in too short when I had a fine spot and too short when I found a longer spot at the next fence), as well as telling me things about my riding that were untrue (said my leg swung badly, which is doesn't and that I was too short at 5'7").

I would have appreciated them just saying "we're going to sign this girl who won year ends in the Childrens/Junior/Green hunters because it looks better on our website. But they had to, by some rule I'm sure, throw me on a horse and watch me ride. I didn't have the name and the record for them to publish, so I was passed over.

Was this an "open" tryout after you had been accepted and were attending the school? Unfortunately for many, Varsity (NCAA) equestrian is really evolving into teams made up of the athletes that are recruited out of high school in advance of them attending the school, just like every other college sport. They are still required to hold "tryouts" but the chances of the people trying out aren't really good. My son plays D-1 lacrosse, and he was recruited out of high school, there were 9 in his recruiting class. They have to also hold "tryouts" in the fall and about 30-40 kids came out to try and get a walk-on spot but not one of them was asked to join the team. The more equestrian grows on the college level the more emphasis will be placed on recruited team members rather than putting teams together with walk-ons.

momof3
May. 4, 2009, 09:29 AM
If Kansas State does give out scholarship money, then I stand corrected. I know that my daughter received a 'packet' from the K State coach with information regarding the team, and it definately said that they do not offer scholarship money. Perhaps this has changed, or maybe they just didn't want to offer 'my' daughter scholarship money :)

slp
May. 4, 2009, 09:44 AM
If Kansas State does give out scholarship money, then I stand corrected. I know that my daughter received a 'packet' from the K State coach with information regarding the team, and it definately said that they do not offer scholarship money. Perhaps this has changed, or maybe they just didn't want to offer 'my' daughter scholarship money :)

I don't know what the status is for NCAA D-1 and their requirements for funding the sport since it is considered an "emerging sport". I DO know that the maximum number of equestrian scholarships available for a team that is fully funded is 15. Now are all the teams fully funded? That is the unknown here. D-1 football and basketball teams are required by the NCAA to be fully funded, but other sports aren't.

In D-1 men's lacrosse (which I do know) a fully funded team has 12.6 scholarships, and only a handful of schools are actually fully funded. Many have scholarships but much less than the maximum amount, and the majority of them don't offer ANY athletic scholarships for that particular sport.

Equestrian teams are most likely funded because it is a woman's sport and the scholarships that they offer help to fulfill the Title IX requirements that offset the 85 football scholarships that the schools have.

akhunterrider
May. 4, 2009, 04:48 PM
I rode at Kansas State my freshman year. I sent in a tape and was offered a spot on the team, but I was not technicalled recruited, so I didn't get any scholarship money. However, I was awarded a scholardship 2nd semester.

NCAA Equestrian is very competitive, so unless you are at the top of your riding game (showing 3'6"+ and doing well), don't expect to show. The team at Kansas State when I rode had about 80 girls on it, so only the best riders showed.

chunky munky
May. 6, 2009, 01:16 AM
Here's one for you. Do you suppose that every NCAA football player that is recruited and/ or gets some scholarship money thinks that they will play in most games??? Ladies, get with the program. If you can get $$ to go to school, it doesn't much matter if you are in the starting 8 line up each week. There is also much more to learn from being a team player, etc. One thing that women lack is knowing how to be part of a team. Lets learn it gals.:)

NCAAMOM
May. 16, 2009, 11:13 PM
I am the mother of an NCAA equestrian. It has been a wonderful opportunity for her. And it's great for the growth of the sport/industry. She did receive a scholarship and if anyone is really interested in this; they should consider going to the College Bound Invitational in Florida because the recruiting rules can be confusing and this is a great opportunity for you to be seen by all of the coaches at the same time, and provide them with a resume and see what they offer.

wyldhorseb
Jun. 2, 2009, 03:39 PM
my trainer's best friend is the coach at kansas state. they definitely give out scholarships. =]