PDA

View Full Version : New Leathers - need ideas

mjmvet
Apr. 28, 2009, 09:53 PM
I'm looking for ideas for new stirrup leathers. I'm looking for lowest bulk under the leg, no buckle sticking into me anywhere, good quality but not necessarily the most expensive on the market. I had wintec webbers (the single strap) for my dressage saddle and LOVED them - but when I shorten them to use on my jumping saddle, the bottom adjust buckle sticks me in the shin. Perhaps i just need shorter ones! I looked at the prestige leathers because they're supposed to be nice and soft. The bates ones are intriguing for the single strap option. Anyone have any ideas? Also I'd like really dark brown to match my vintage leather black country saddle. Thanks for any ideas,
m

gg4918
Apr. 28, 2009, 09:55 PM
I bought the Peter Wylde ones and im OBSESSED!!

BAC
Apr. 28, 2009, 09:59 PM
I always recommend CWD leathers although they are expensive. The leather is buttery soft, they have small, flat buckles and half holes and also come in the narrower size. They don't stretch at all and also come in both light tan and a very dark color, which it seems you would prefer although my light tan ones are now oiled to a dark havana. Unlike many lined leathers, they are thin enough to adjust easily from the saddle and they have not stretched at all in almost 4 years of use, I love them.

mojo7777
Apr. 28, 2009, 11:08 PM
I love my Courbettes. Supple, non-bulky and reasonably priced.

BeastieSlave
Apr. 29, 2009, 08:24 AM
I hate my Courbettes! I've had them for years and take good care of them, but they just aren't that supple and I feel the buckle way more than I'd like. I really should get new leathers, but there's nothing 'wrong' with them and there are so many other things we need.....

Ozone
Apr. 29, 2009, 10:06 AM
I love my Courbettes. Supple, non-bulky and reasonably priced.

But they stetch out way to much and way too quick.

I vote for Bates leathers. No bulk, supple, they don't seem to have a stretching issue either

appychik
Apr. 29, 2009, 10:11 AM
Gary Mundy Leathers!!! :winkgrin: :yes: :winkgrin: Just do a quick search on the forums, you should find plenty of information about him/them. I got a pair for my trainer for Christmas... absolutely lovely and broke in just fine. Super cheap too, but not cheap in quality. Excellent quality and fully customizable. Mine ran under $50, and that included shipping.

Otherwise, I love Jaguar leathers. I've got those on my dressage saddle and they are just incredible. Pretty spendy though.

chawley
Apr. 29, 2009, 10:36 AM
There are many options available at all sorts of price points. If you're looking for something less expensive, check out Perri leathers. I've had several pairs over the years, and they are outstanding leather and quality for the money.

No experience w/ Gary Mundy leathers, but I've heard great things.

I recently purchased a pair of Prestige calfskin leathers for my new saddle, and I love them.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-0626&tid=froogle&CATALOG_CODE=1X814&EID=X1814001&zmam=1460880&zmas=1&zmac=49&zmap=X1-0626&bhcd2=1241011963

OneMoreTime
Apr. 29, 2009, 04:32 PM
I'll second the Gary Mundy! He's amazing.

veebug22
Apr. 29, 2009, 08:14 PM
I have the Prestige leathers, really like them! Minimal bulk, and I think they're nylon re-inforced.

CFiona
Apr. 29, 2009, 08:57 PM
I always recommend CWD leathers...

Funny, my friend just got rid of hers! Said they bugged her....I cant remember what it was, something about them rubbing or twisting or slipping? Who knows! I know CWD is a very reputable brand, so by no means bashing them, but throwing another $.02 opinion out there.

Best of luck shopping!

neigh.neigh
Apr. 29, 2009, 09:47 PM
Just got these yesterday from bevals and I love them! They were very comfortable to ride in today with very minimal oiling.... and gorgeous!
http://www.beval.com/Products/Italian-Stirrup-Leathers/2505900.aspx

ChocoMare
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:04 AM
A third vote for Gary Mundy leathers (search Off Course for a huge thread on him-it includes his contact & ordering info) :yes:

I've got 3 pairs from him. Excellent quality, reasonable price. :cool:

foursocks
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:02 AM
I have the Prestige and liked them for comfort, but they didn't hold up very well. So I got a pair of the Courbettes- awesome in every way except for the stretching. Every week I have to fiddle with the holes to get one leg or the other right- I'm thinking of giving up and putting my old leathers on until I decide I can't stand how worn they are and get a new pair!

AliCat
Apr. 30, 2009, 12:20 PM
I like that my Beval leathers are not bulky, but they have stretched.

BigDreams07
Apr. 30, 2009, 12:28 PM
I love love love my Prestige Leathers. Super supple, no fraying, calfskin so now marks on my saddle. Easy to adjust on or off the horse. Oil up to a rich tabacco color. Theyre gorgeous

pandasgirl
Apr. 30, 2009, 01:50 PM
I bought an Antares which has really soft leather, and I needed something that wouldn't wear down the flaps of the saddle. I found the no-stretch Bates calfskin leathers to be the most affordable, yet high quality. They work beautifully, don't stretch, aren't bulky, and don't rub- and the price was right! :)

Lives2Jump
Apr. 30, 2009, 01:52 PM
I broke down and bought the Antares leathers and I have been happy with them!

pattnic
Apr. 30, 2009, 06:25 PM
Gary Mundy!!! Though, I will say that my friend's Jaguar leathers are absolutely lovely; but they're not cheap, and good luck finding them.

dab
May. 1, 2009, 02:26 PM
The bates ones are intriguing for the single strap option.Those leathers are great for dressage, but if you adjust your stirrups to jump, they're annoying --