PDA

View Full Version : Favortie Girth Styles

kaazs
Apr. 28, 2009, 07:19 PM
I'm pretty sure my current girth is just an old leather chafeless girth. I plan on buying either an overlay or split end girth from the same brand as my saddle. I prefer leather girths, I'm not a big fan of fleece lined girths. What are your favorite girth styles? Do you usually buy the same brand girth as your saddle, or do you prefer different brands?

theroanypony
Apr. 28, 2009, 07:31 PM
I love my Toklat girth (http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-02175&ids=835173588)! It's fleece with elastic at both ends which I love because it's easy to get on and fits just about every horse I've ridden at my barn, minus the small ponies. I have another fleece girth that was much cheaper and I hate it! It's not as well made, it slips and slides, it's just an over all crappy girth. I'll never buy any other girth other than the Toklat one.

neigh.neigh
Apr. 28, 2009, 07:38 PM
I LOVE my new dover split end girth. It is beautiful, gorgeous leather and comfortable for my horse.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-021232&ids=835173578

And I have a beval butet saddle and it matches perfectly... I didn't feel like spending $300 on a butet girth and I hate the color of it anyway. You dont have to get the same brand of girth as your saddle, just as long as it matches.

kaazs
Apr. 28, 2009, 07:44 PM
I LOVE my new dover split end girth. It is beautiful, gorgeous leather and comfortable for my horse.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-021232&ids=835173578

And I have a beval butet saddle and it matches perfectly... I didn't feel like spending $300 on a butet girth and I hate the color of it anyway. You dont have to get the same brand of girth as your saddle, just as long as it matches.

I was planning on getting this girth. I think it looks lovely, and I have a Circuit Saddle so I know it would match :)

Lou-Lou
Apr. 28, 2009, 07:56 PM
I like contoured girths with elastic at one end. I also personally really like the no-slip girths (not leather though).

Little Indian
Apr. 29, 2009, 12:28 AM
I really, really, really (did I say really?) love the Tad Coffin girth I have. It is the only all leather, non-fleece lined girth I have ever found to not give my horse enormous, bleeding girth rubs.

billiebob
Apr. 29, 2009, 12:42 AM
I'm another fan of fleecy girths with elastic at both ends. To clean it, all I have to do is throw it in the washing machine. Good as new.....except when washed with my navy striped Rambo cooler. So now my girth's fleece has a slight blue tinge:). Just another excuse to go shopping.....I mean help the economy......:)

OneMoreTime
Apr. 29, 2009, 03:45 PM
I LOVE the Edgewood removable fleece double-elastic girth for show. For schooling, I'm a fan of the super-cheap, throw-it-in-the-wash fake fleece nylon double elastic ones that they sell at Dover or SmartPak. I've actually even used one in shows & nobody seemed to mind.;)

mbmarsh
May. 23, 2009, 07:57 PM
Hey guys - how do you wash those fleece girths without shredding the inside of your washing machine? I tried to wash mine once, but it chipped all over the inside of our relatively new front-loader - hubby was NOT happy.

I thought there used to be something State Line Tack sold that clipped over both ends of the buckles to keep them from banging around, but for the life of me I can't find it.

When you do wash them, do you just use regular detergent?

lintesia
May. 23, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hey guys - how do you wash those fleece girths without shredding the inside of your washing machine? I tried to wash mine once, but it chipped all over the inside of our relatively new front-loader - hubby was NOT happy.

I thought there used to be something State Line Tack sold that clipped over both ends of the buckles to keep them from banging around, but for the life of me I can't find it.

First, you make sure you wash it when hubby is not around. Since the inside of your washer is already dinged up, he'll never notice the new dings. :)

I wash mine with my normal "he" detergent (for the new front loaders) and I add an extra rinse cycle to make sure all the detergent gets out. Since it's a cheap-o synthetic girth that I'm using for everyday, I figure the life span is about one or two years in any case, so I'm not super careful. I do brush the fleece out periodically with one of those flexible bristle dog brushes.

dogchushu
May. 23, 2009, 09:05 PM

I don't have a front loader, so this may not work as well for you. But, in case it does...

I put old socks over the buckle ends (big old tube socks) and secure them with rubber bands.

HuntrJumpr
May. 23, 2009, 09:22 PM
Ooh - I like the sock idea. I just take mine to the laundry mat. ;)

I also like the cheap synthetic girths that have the double elastic. I show in them quite frequently (only the dark brown) as do many, many other people in this area. I tried the neoprene non-slip ones for schooling before but they pinched all the horses I put them on. I take a shedding blade to my older fleece girths to get them clean and they've all had a pretty solid life span.

GirlGeek
May. 26, 2009, 01:43 AM
Mbmarsh,

I also have a front loader and put my girths in a pillow case with a couple of medium sized towels in it and tie the pillow case down as low as I possibly can. Works pretty well and significantly mimimizes all the clanking around.

And I use the regular HE detergent, just not as much as I would with a full load of laundry. Blanket wash will work just as well.

gg

BAC
May. 26, 2009, 12:33 PM
I prefer leather girths with elastic at both ends. My Hadfields is beautiful, Edgewood also makes great leather girths. I will add a girth sock for a more sensitive horse, its much less noticeable than all that fleece hanging out, in fact its barely visible, keeps the girth clean longer and so much easier to wash than sheepskin.

Pirateer
May. 26, 2009, 12:36 PM
I normally ride in a synthetic girth w/ fleece.

For show, I usually get a leather girth to match my saddle (for hunters- jumpers I use the synthetic.) I prefer split end on one side, and elastic on the other.

Lori
May. 26, 2009, 12:38 PM
I am a diehard County Logic fan.
I have dressage length billets on my Stabilizer so I was limited on brands to choose from (no one else makes a contoured dressage girth in brown 20").
I have tried everything from regular shaped girths, wintec, cottage craft, mohair to professionals choice and the Logic works best for me.

mbmarsh
May. 26, 2009, 01:32 PM
So I tried the sock trick, and washed my cheapie fleece girth this weekend - doesn't help with the center ring, but really helps with the ends - I'm letting it air dry now, but it's SOOOOOO much cleaner!

Thank you guys so much - what a lifesaver!

BAC, you know, I have a nice Beval shaped girth that I used to use - problem is, I could never get it to soften up enough not to rub - and the sheepskin sock thing doesn't work if you want to attach something *cough* *draw reins* to the center ring.. :(

BAC
May. 26, 2009, 01:48 PM
BAC, you know, I have a nice Beval shaped girth that I used to use - problem is, I could never get it to soften up enough not to rub - and the sheepskin sock thing doesn't work if you want to attach something *cough* *draw reins* to the center ring.. :(

I never use draw reins or anything so I don't encounter that problem. But the girth sock is not sheepskin, its a much thinner knitted material of some type and it comes in "horse" colors, chestnut, dark brown, black, white, so it blends in really well and is not noticeable like sheepskin. But you're right that it won't work with draw reins, didn't think of that.

My Hadfield girth is soft enough that it has not caused any rubs on any of the horses I've been riding since I bought it 3 years ago.

superpony123
May. 26, 2009, 03:02 PM
I hate leather girths. I mean, they look nice, sure, but they weird me out. I try to avoid riding with one whenever possible. To me, theyve always been a lot more slippery. Not good ! I like the synthetic ones with double elastic ends and fleece lined. Theyre not going to irritate my horses' skin, won't give him rubs, and i feel i have the most room to adjust and make appropriately tight. Plus, I can throw them in the washing machine! Mine is Lettia. I also like the professionals choice ones.

Pirateer
May. 26, 2009, 03:14 PM
I hate leather girths. I mean, they look nice, sure, but they weird me out.

When I first came back from college I swear to god, I couldn't tighten a leather girth after using only synthetics. I had to get my scrawny man-trainer to do it for me. Ha!

DARQHORSE
Mine is all leather, with elastic at both ends and is a County Logic Knock-off. I love it. It never, ever leaves rubs, and gives the horses lots of elbow room. Plus, I find that horses get less girthy with it then with other girths. My horses are *NEVER* ridden in girths that have elastic on only one side. My Chiro said that the uneven pressure (b/c one said gives and one does not) causes asymetry in their ribs/sternum and can also cause pain.

IsolaBella09
I prefer a leather girth over a fleece, but I do like both. My leather girth has triple elastic on both sides to put even pressure on both sides of the horse. I find that a girth with elastic on one end tends to pull in one direction. My saddle, bridle/martingale, and girth are all from different companies. I'm partial to the company my bridle and martingale are from, as the leather is beautiful and I get compliments on it all the time, but have a different brand saddle and girth. The thing I don't like about fleece girths is that they can wear out as time goes on. I find that the fleece ones can get very "chunky", so to speak, after a while and going around in the washing machine all the time, while the wool ones last longer.

ohear001
May. 26, 2009, 08:00 PM
I also really like the Dover girth, I was pleasantly surprised when I got it in. I mainly ride in the cheap synthetic fleece girths with elastic on both ends. It washes great, though the roommates are never happy when I use the W/D for horse stuff :)

paint hunter
May. 26, 2009, 09:15 PM
My everyday girth is a Toklat woolback fleece with elastic on both ends. We show in a leather panel-type girth (made by the same people who made the saddle) with elastic at both ends. I think the elastic at both ends makes the pressure a bit more even. The hardest part was trying to find one large enough for my guy. We ended up with the 54" by Antares and it's OK but a 56" would have given him "more breathing room." By the way, the 54" actually measured about 53".

iridehorses
May. 26, 2009, 09:49 PM
i only use the professional horsemans. its supposed to be great for flezibility, and i love it. it works amazingly!

Lucassb
May. 26, 2009, 09:54 PM
I have a whole collection of really pretty leather girths. Hadfields, Edgewood, Beval... shaped, padded, fancy stitched, you name it.

Sadly the only one that my horse seems to find comfortable is a synthetic fleece lined one. So that's what I use. *sigh* At least it is really easy to keep clean.

Denzel
May. 26, 2009, 10:29 PM
My favorite is the Chetak Ronja Contour girth. Looks exactly like the County Logic for a fraction of the price!