PDA

View Full Version : Bad Habits

*JumpIt*
Apr. 28, 2009, 03:42 PM
I have the most silliest bad habit. I stare at my horse, not at the ground but at my horse. I don't do it over fences just on the flat, I don't even realize I'm watching her until my trainer is yelling at me, "ya know, she's not going to change colors!"

I find myself facinated with watching my mare's reactions to every movement I make and different lateral work we do. I know I should just feel her and not look at her but I like watching her work. :yes:

I know really it is just going to take force of mind to keep myself from watching her and I am working on it.

anyone else have silly or weird habbits? :D

GettingBack
Apr. 28, 2009, 03:54 PM
My right hand very very slowly drifts upward when riding. Why? I have no idea. Just the right one, not the left. Pretty sure I'm not trying to correct anything because I'm totally not aware that I'm doing it.

eqrider1234
Apr. 28, 2009, 04:00 PM
I used to STARE at my shadow! :cool: Now I just over arch my back.. no idea where that came from its a B!+(H to breaK.. in order to not do it i have to round my back and then it ends up evening out.. Oh i totally used to chicken flap too haha, and my fingers are always open unless my trainer constantly yells at me haha :lol:

otwist123
Apr. 28, 2009, 05:01 PM
I swing my hip out to get lead changes. It's so hard for me to get the change now without doing it and my horse has gotten used to it too!

Spyromaniac
Apr. 28, 2009, 06:10 PM
I ride with too-open fingers so the reins get longer...and longer...and longer...

I also tend to get too "huntery" (I ride dressage) - I get into a forward seat when I feel things are going sideways rather than sitting deeper.

theroanypony
Apr. 28, 2009, 06:14 PM
I fold from my stomach, rather than my hips. I know I do this, yet I never seem to try to do otherwise. A flat back? What's so great about that anyway...:p

Gray Horse H/J
Apr. 28, 2009, 06:40 PM
I ride with too-open fingers so the reins get longer...and longer...and longer...

Me too, this has always been a huge problem for me! On my horse I'm really REALLY bad about it. He hacks around happily on a loose rein, and half the time I catch myself holding the reins by my fingertips. If I constantly think about it, I fix it, but I don't always think about it.

When I moved to my current barn, I was utterly fascinated with watching myself in the arena mirrors. :lol: I'd never been in a ring with mirrors before. I'd seriously stare at myself - or my horse - for half my ride. (While riding...not just standing there admiring myself or anything. :lol:) The mirrors helped me a lot though, I always feel like my horse is moving faster than he really is, and watching him canter with me up there made me realize we really WERE just crawling.

Over fences, I've always had a tendency to want to pull to find the distance. Sitting there and letting the distance come to me is not a natural thing for me, though I was getting better about it last summer. I haven't really jumped in almost a year, and am hoping to start taking some lessons again soon. God knows what new bad habits I'll have after not jumping for so long! :lol:

*Teddy*
Apr. 28, 2009, 07:09 PM
when i do a crest release one hand is ALWAYS above the other instead of side by side drives every instructor i ride with nuts haha

when cantering i tend to balance on my seat and let my legs creep up till i lose balance but this is mainly due to riding lazy horses most my life i need to learn to realax(ok not just there in all my riding too)

AmandaandTuff
Apr. 28, 2009, 07:29 PM
Open fingers, tilting my head to the right, and making the pllp noise. I cracked a judge up, every stride of the canter I made the noise with my lips.

HorsRdr477
Apr. 28, 2009, 07:39 PM
I have the most silliest bad habit. I stare at my horse, not at the ground but at my horse. I don't do it over fences just on the flat, I don't even realize I'm watching her until my trainer is yelling at me, "ya know, she's not going to change colors!"

I find myself facinated with watching my mare's reactions to every movement I make and different lateral work we do. I know I should just feel her and not look at her but I like watching her work. :yes:

I know really it is just going to take force of mind to keep myself from watching her and I am working on it.

You mean like watching her neck? If so, I do that too. I think it looks cool :winkgrin:

Mimi La Rue
Apr. 28, 2009, 08:05 PM
My toes stick out like I am duck footed. I also ride with open fingers and my reins get longer and longer.

steelerino
Apr. 28, 2009, 08:47 PM
In the last 5 years I started to duck to the left over every. single. jump. I hate it & I have NO idea how or why I started doing it.

younghunter
Apr. 28, 2009, 09:48 PM
For me...turtle neck, the more I concentrate, the farther out it gets. I hate the way it looks, but for the life of me I can't fix it. Also, open fingers...but not just longer & longer, sometimes I flat out drop my rein!! How embarrassing. I think my trainer just pretends not to notice.

Ozone
Apr. 29, 2009, 09:09 AM

My silly habit is the same as yours :yes: I always get the: Why are you looking at his ears.... they have not changed, have they?

That and I looooooove to drop my right hand mostly at times when it is needed the most of course :D

caradino
Apr. 29, 2009, 09:11 AM
i go around jumper courses with my reins a mile long so i end up riding with my hands five feet apart and right on top of my hips to keep contact. and i drop my right shoulder badly. and occasionally forget where i'm going on course and ride into walls... :lol:

it's good to be able to laugh at ourselves.

Wizard of Oz's
Apr. 29, 2009, 10:46 AM
I pull coming to the jump. Even if I can see a good distance, my hands are going "but it might be long! better pull to make it super short!" :lol: My horse is a saint in that area.

trooper345
Apr. 29, 2009, 11:10 AM
Ha, I stare at my guy too! I am obseesed with his head and neck carraige, my trainer always yells "He is not going to change colors, look up already!!!" I have adjusted to this by keeping my head up and just shifting my eyes down....augh!! Look up already!!!!

Then again maybe it's just that my boy is soooo handsome :D

khailee
Apr. 29, 2009, 11:33 AM
I always cock my head towards the inside of the arena. I look ridiculous, but I don't even realize I’m doing it until someone says something. :D

chukkerchild
Apr. 29, 2009, 12:04 PM
i drop the contact as soon as my horse takes it, and I torque my ankle out so that the sole of my boot is visible. I also hunch my back over fences when I'm nervous, it looks AWFUL