PDA

View Full Version : Summer Reading List ideas for Students?

Jsalem
Apr. 28, 2009, 11:18 AM
Maybe you guys could help me come up with some ideas for a summer reading list for my students. I'd like to include books in two categories: fun horsey fiction and riding/training books.

The students I have in mind range in age from 10 to 15.

Here's a start- now help me out....

Fun Horsey Fiction:
Summer Pony/Winter Pony: Jean Slaughter Doty (younger kids)
In Service to The Horse (older kids)

Riding/Training:
Hunter Seat Equitation: George Morris
Winning: Anna Jane White Mullen
Learning to Ride Hunt and Show: Gordon Wright

Hunter Mom
Apr. 28, 2009, 11:31 AM
Judging Hunters & Equitation.

mew
Apr. 28, 2009, 11:50 AM
how about grooming to win? maybe a book on general horse management not just ridding

chunky munky
Apr. 28, 2009, 11:55 AM
For older students ( and professionals for that matter!) Riding Logic, Wilhelm Museler.

ExtraInnings
Apr. 28, 2009, 11:55 AM
Hunter Seat Equitation by George Morris

USPC Manual

poltroon
Apr. 28, 2009, 12:05 PM
For fiction I'd suggest
The Monday Horses (http://www.ponydom.com/books/book.html?id=12), Jean Slaughter Doty
White Stallion of Lipizza, by Marguerite Henry
Fly By Night (http://www.ponydom.com/books/book.html?id=6) and The Team (http://www.ponydom.com/books/book.html?id=7) by KM Peyton
Flying Changes (http://www.ponydom.com/books/book.html?id=1) by Lynn Hall
A Horse Called Dragon (http://www.ponydom.com/books/book.html?id=2) by Lynn Hall
For Love of a Horse (http://www.ponydom.com/books/book.html?id=203) by Patricia Leitch
Sky Rocket: The Story of a Little Bay Horse (http://www.ponydom.com/books/book.html?id=16) by Margaret Cabell Self
Vicki and the Black Horse (http://www.ponydom.com/books/book.html?id=17) / Vicki and the Brown Mare (http://www.ponydom.com/books/book.html?id=18) by Sam Savitt
A Horse like Mr. Ragman (http://www.ponydom.com/books/book.html?id=162) by Rachel Rivers Coffey
Last Junior Year (http://www.ponydom.com/books/book.html?id=4) by Barbara Morgenroth

For non-fiction I'd suggest
Schooling for Young Riders (http://www.ponydom.com/books/book.html?id=376) by John Richard Young
Happy Horsemanship, by Dorothy Pinch

http://www.ponydom.com/books/index.html

hideyourheart03
Apr. 28, 2009, 12:08 PM
Ahh I'm blanking now... what's the fiction one called that's about Eq Finals and the working student? Written by someone who ribboned at Eq Finals??? -- THE PERFECT DISTANCE by Kim Ablon Whitney... thank you Amazon recommendations

Judging Hunters and Hunt Seat Equitation is very, very good and has a detailed description of what she looks for in each Eq Test.

A Sunday Horse by Vicki Moon is also good, but maybe a little too adult.

Anyone have The Monday Horses or Last Junior Year?? They both look great... especially the second one. I'd really like to read them, but they're both pretty pricey on Amazon...

poltroon
Apr. 28, 2009, 12:30 PM
Ahh I'm blanking now... what's the fiction one called that's about Eq Finals and the working student? Written by someone who ribboned at Eq Finals??? -- THE PERFECT DISTANCE by Kim Ablon Whitney... thank you Amazon recommendations

Judging Hunters and Hunt Seat Equitation is very, very good and has a detailed description of what she looks for in each Eq Test.

A Sunday Horse by Vicki Moon is also good, but maybe a little too adult.

Anyone have The Monday Horses or Last Junior Year?? They both look great... especially the second one. I'd really like to read them, but they're both pretty pricey on Amazon...

I forgot The Perfect Distance - yes, another good one.

The Monday Horses is consistently among the top choices at ponydom.com and is a personal favorite. Last Junior Year is also excellent, though a bit harder to find. I highly recommend both. Your library can almost certainly get you a copy of The Monday Horses, and very possibly can also find you Last Junior Year. Morgenroth's "Ride a Proud Horse" is also good, though not as good as Last Junior Year IMHO.

Horse fiction database: http://www.ponydom.com/books/index.html

Talk of the Town
Apr. 28, 2009, 12:51 PM
The Thoroughbred series was always a favorite of mine when I was younger. Its about a racing barn but still a really good series for any young person crazy about horses.

Hunter Mom
Apr. 28, 2009, 12:55 PM
Fiction - Flying Changes & Riding Lessons by Sara Gruen (although teens might not appreciate these - great books for adults, though). I love this author!

For little people - the Princess Ellie the Pony Crazy Princess series by Diana Kimpton.

Limerick
Apr. 28, 2009, 01:53 PM
I am re-reading The Monday Horses right now. I LOVE that book and read it over and over as a kid. I still remember some of the lines perfectly. The Crumb is another excellent fiction book by Jean Slaughter Doty.

Randy Roy has written some great books on judging. I have The Judge Is Back and find it very informative and enjoyable.

thizzelledance
Apr. 28, 2009, 02:13 PM
i LOVED this book called "Shadow Horse" by Alison Hart when I was in middle school. Kind of a murder-mystery insurance fraud deal set in a show barn.

TwoDreamRides
Apr. 28, 2009, 02:31 PM
I **highly** recommend the books Dancer and Abby Malone by Shelley Peterson. Dancer is about a show jumper, Abby Malone is about fox hunting. It also appears that Shelley has written two more follow ups... Stagestruck and Sundancer. I read Stagestruck, I think it was about eventing. I have no clue what Sundancer is about.

Pirateer
Apr. 28, 2009, 02:35 PM
Geoff Tealls books is an excellent read.
GM- HSE
AJWM- Winning

Can't think of any good ficition- Monday Horses, definitely. Everything I know is ADULT or very kiddie.
The Perfect Distance is a good one.

Mozart
Apr. 28, 2009, 04:06 PM
For older students ( and professionals for that matter!) Riding Logic, Wilhelm Museler.

Excellent, excellent suggestion. chunky munky, as usual, we are on the same page.

And while this is highly inappropriate for the young'uns but their moms might enjoy it as a beach read..."Riders" by Jilly Cooper :winkgrin:

InWhyCee Redux
Apr. 28, 2009, 04:43 PM
Mozart, I was just going to say RIDERS — forget Judy Blume's "Wifey," this is the perfect bonkbuster novel for horse-crazy teen girl, or anyone who was ever a horse-crazy teen girl. I get all tingly just thinking about Rupert and Jake thrusting powerfully toward those enormous oxers.... ;)

poltroon
Apr. 28, 2009, 04:55 PM
Mozart, I was just going to say RIDERS — forget Judy Blume's "Wifey," this is the perfect bonkbuster novel for horse-crazy teen girl, or anyone who was ever a horse-crazy teen girl. I get all tingly just thinking about Rupert and Jake thrusting powerfully toward those enormous oxers.... ;)

I think the OP needs PG suggestions here, guys, and there are plenty of them available. ;)

Age 10 is pretty young, and these aren't the OP's kids.

BTW, all the Marguerite Henry books are good, of course, but I suggested White Stallion of Lipizza because it has so much equitation in it, as opposed to just history.

Another good one in this age range is CW Anderson's Afraid to Ride.

Something to consider is not just 'fun' fiction reading, but picking books that will teach the lessons you want the kids to pick up unconsciously. So think about it: what kinds of skills and empathy and ideas do you especially want to develop in these kids? We can probably find you titles that will help. :)

You'll note I mixed in a couple of westerny titles as well - one thing books are good for is introducing a wide range of disciplines, and I think it's good for the kids to see that at the heart, horsemanship is horsemanship.

theroanypony
Apr. 28, 2009, 05:13 PM
One of my favorite instructional books is How to Ride and Jump Your Best by Barbara Van Tuyl. It's kind of old, I think 60's or 70's, but good equitation never goes out of style.

Other really good books;
Happy Horsemanship, Dorothy Pinch
Hold Your Horses, Bonnie Timmons
Dealing With Horses, J.F. Kelly

I know when I was younger I loved reading the Chestnut Hill and Heartland books. They're fiction, but I guess nice for younger kids that are just looking for books to read that are about horses.

Justice
Apr. 28, 2009, 05:15 PM
Summer pony and winter pony today!

A good one that hasn't been mentioned is "Beat the Turtle Drum," by Constance Greene. Very sad, but a good one for pre-teens.

supershorty628
Apr. 28, 2009, 06:05 PM
Kip had all of us read "Apropos" by Hans Seff (I'll have to double check this - I can't find the book at the moment). It's very short and concise, but amazingly powerful and accurate.

chukkerchild
Apr. 28, 2009, 06:06 PM
i LOVED this book called "Shadow Horse" by Alison Hart when I was in middle school. Kind of a murder-mystery insurance fraud deal set in a show barn.

I loved it too and I hear there is a sequel -- FINALLY -- coming out this year called Whirlwind!

theroanypony
Apr. 28, 2009, 06:10 PM
Kip had all of us read "Apropos" by Hans Seff (I'll have to double check this - I can't find the book at the moment). It's very short and concise, but amazingly powerful and accurate.

Hans Senn?

ridingstudent
Apr. 28, 2009, 07:48 PM
Jeoff Teall, on hunters, jumper and equitation is really good, literally just finished it.

supershorty628
Apr. 28, 2009, 07:51 PM
Hans Senn?

Yes, thank you. I knew it was a Seh-.... hahaha.

Ben and Me
Apr. 28, 2009, 08:26 PM
Misty of Chincoteague, Sea Star and Stormy. All are excellent...as are the rest of Marguerite Henry's books (as others have noted). I had already read all 3, but I remember my 4th grade teacher read Misty outloud to the class. Maybe you could even take a group field trip to Pony Penning this year? It is one of my favorite childhood memories.

theblondejumper
Apr. 28, 2009, 08:31 PM
Fiction - Flying Changes & Riding Lessons by Sara Gruen (although teens might not appreciate these - great books for adults, though). I love this author!

Even though that character drove me CRAZY and I can't find one of the books for some reason, I love her other non-horsey book Water for Elephants too.

Anyone ever read a young adult novel about a girl named Jill who's family owned a store and I think she rode a horse named Jack? She ends up taking him to a show in the end of the book...I've been searching the internet for this one....

Or a book about a girl named Meg or something like it who rode a chestnut mare back in like the 40s or 50s? She ends up dating this guy in high school?

I've read a lot of random books and this was before I wrote down titles!

Also Scarlet Royal by whoever (blanking on the name) is great too!

theblondejumper
Apr. 28, 2009, 08:32 PM
I loved it too and I hear there is a sequel -- FINALLY -- coming out this year called Whirlwind!

Seriously!? I've been waiting for a sequel for the last like 7 years! I couldn't believe it when I finished that book--I seriously thought someone had taken chapters out of my book!

HunterJumper106
Apr. 28, 2009, 08:39 PM
Definitely The Perfect Distance!!!! Its one of my favorite books. I think I have honestly read it at least 5 times and it never gets old! It has a great moral behind it and is a quick read because its so good/interesting!

CenterStage123
Apr. 28, 2009, 08:43 PM

OMG! REALLY!!?? I absolutly loved that book! I was soo mad when it was done, so I emailed that author and practically demanded that she write a sequal.:lol: She very calmly replied that she was currently wirting it and it would be ready around 2009. AH! Im soo excited now!:D

mep0726
Apr. 28, 2009, 09:32 PM
When I was younger, I enjoyed the Thoroughbred series, as well as all of Marguerite Henry's books. I never really got into the Saddle Club series, but had some friends who enjoyed them.

Angel Undercover
Apr. 28, 2009, 11:05 PM
I lofff Happy Horsemanship by Dorothy Henderson Pinch!! I got it as a gift when I was around 8, and I will admit I still re-read it at 22!! :D

vacation1
Apr. 29, 2009, 12:05 AM
One limitation is books still in print and/or easily available. The most popular books by Marguerite Henry and Walter Farley, as well as "Summer Pony" are all still in print, but many good books aren't, so if you use them, make sure to give the kids some idea where to find them and some time to order online.

My suggestions:

King Of The Wind by Marguerite Henry - it's one of her more exciting books and is a nice piece of horse history.

Come On, Seabiscuit! by Ralph Moody - this 1963 bio was written for children in a fictional form and reprinted when Hillenbrand's work hit big.

Summer Pony by Jean Slaughter Doty - of course.

National Velvet by Enid Bagnold - possibly too much for less enthused readers, but a great book and age-appropriate, as well as being available.

Nonfiction:
"Cherry Hill's Horse Care For Kids" by Cherry Hill and "Safe Horse, Safe Rider: A Young Rider's Guide To Responsible Horsekeeping" by Jessie Haas. They're newer, so I didn't read these as a kid, but I've seen them and they impressed me as child-friendly, responsible, and attractive books. Possibly a little too much for younger readers is "The Rider's Problem Solver" by Jessica Jahiel - written in letter/answer form, it's both informative and entertaining. Some letters may be unrelated to children's interests/needs, but it's a very reader-friendly, dip-in-anywhere format and has solid advice.

Anyone ever read a young adult novel about a girl named Jill who's family owned a store and I think she rode a horse named Jack? She ends up taking him to a show in the end of the book...I've been searching the internet for this one.... Or a book about a girl named Meg or something like it who rode a chestnut mare back in like the 40s or 50s? She ends up dating this guy in high school?

Possibles:
Patsey Gray's "Jumping Jack" had a heroine named Jill who rides a horse named Jack, ending was a horse show.

Betty Cavanna's "Spring Comes Riding" (1951) fits somewhat - heroine's name is Meg, she rides a chestnut mare part of the time, it's very old-fashioned in tone, she falls for a college boy named Alan (owns a palomino).

hideyourheart03
Apr. 29, 2009, 01:50 AM
OOhhhhhh... forgot about "Danny" a story about a girl who takes over a pony that a rich girl doesn't want anymore. I have both the movie and book but can't bring myself to really read them - my horse is a grey horse named Danny that his old owner hated and gave up on. I've heard from others that the book is very good...

Gracious
Apr. 29, 2009, 09:11 AM
My recommendations have already been mentioned, but I would LOVE to see your final list if possible. What a great idea for young students!

Jsalem
Apr. 29, 2009, 09:24 AM
I've got a great list started thanks to you COTHers. Anyone who wants a copy can shoot me an email at: jsalem@mindspring.com. Here's my plan-

The Reading List is divided into 2 sections- Horsey Fiction and Riding/Training Books. Some of the books are listed as (12 & under only). Students may choose one book from each section. They fill out a Book Report form (I'll make a form) for each book and turn in to me. They'll get a free day's coaching at a show in return. I figure it's worth it to me if they get just a little smarter!

My Book Reports forms will look something like this:

Horsey Fiction- Name, Author, Synopsis, Other Books By the Same Author, Was it realistic?, Did you enjoy?

Riding/Training- Name, Author, List 3 new things you learned that you plan to try with your own horse, Was there anything that you don't agree with? Explain

katie16
Apr. 29, 2009, 09:29 AM
For fiction I second The Perfect Distance by Kim Ablon Whitney for the older kids. I also loved In Service to the Horse as well. Not sure about the younger kids - maybe the Misty books?

For Non-fiction I really like: The Judge Is Back (Randy Roy) and Geoff Teal's book on Hunters and Equitation. Both are VERY informative and easy to read (not written like someone's thesis).

rjg2a
Apr. 29, 2009, 09:38 AM
Consider also adding School for Young Riders or Form Over Fences, by Jane Marshall Dillon. I grew up reading them and they are wonderful, especially for kids. Both books provide great information on the foundation of the American Forward Seat. I know Mrs. Dillon has quite a fan club here on COTH.

I will say from a storytelling perspective, School for Young Riders is probably more engaging for a child.

While new versions of both books are expensive, you can get used copies from Amazon for around $16.

gusbabe
Apr. 29, 2009, 11:28 AM
My daughter loved the Chestnut Hill series by Lauren Brooke. This would be appropriate for upper elementary readers.

Jsalem
Apr. 29, 2009, 11:33 AM
I've got a great list! What I'm short on are Riding/Training books for the "under 12" age group category. So far I have:

The USPC Manual: Basics for Beginners
Happy Horsemanship: Dorothy Pinch
Getting the Most from Riding Lessons: Mike Smith

Any other ideas? BTW, I love old horse books (like the Margaret Cabell Self type)

poltroon
Apr. 29, 2009, 01:28 PM
You know, I don't think I would restrict any of the mentioned books to 12 & under - they are all classics. Even if the language is simpler, they are still valuable reads, and you don't necessarily know how fluent your kids are. Better to have them read Summer Pony than not at all. I might divide the list into "introductory" and "advanced" and then let the kids pick and choose as they will. If you have an individual child who is reading too much from the easy group for her ability, you can address that privately.

I will keep thinking on the 12 & under horsemanship books. A good way to start might be to check out your local library and see what they have on the shelves in the Juvenile section (they may also have an online catalog). That will tell you what is available and let you leaf through them in person.

I seem to recall "Learning to Ride, Hunt, and Show" by Gordon Wright was a good introductory book with nice pictures.

Also Suzanne Wilding had a good intro book... I think it's "Ups and downs; a first guide to riding and horse care."

This one is very british but pretty (lots of pictures) and my daughter and I enjoyed it:
The Young Rider by Lucinda Green.
She also has (haven't seen this one, but I expect it's similar)
Riding by Lucinda Green

I haven't seen this one in person, but my library has a book called "Judy Richter's Riding for Kids" that looks promising if you have new beginners.

GotSpots
Apr. 29, 2009, 01:40 PM
I forgot about Spring Comes Riding - a bit dated, but lots of fun. Also Smoke Rings - was that by Hall? Lyons? Woman takes horse to Rome Olympics in show jumping because she can't compete in three day event. Tin Can Tucker is another in the same vein - cowgirl gets wild horse and turns it into barrel racer.

Not an H/J book, but Jimmy Wofford's book is excellent. I would also put Steinkraus' book on the list: classic, seemingly effortless basics never go out of style, and the pictures of Riviera Wonder will take your breath away.

Ben and Me
Apr. 29, 2009, 01:46 PM
For the older girls, Jane Smiley's Horse Heaven is a wonderful read. It's a little more of an adult book, but I read it when I was 16. Dick Francis' books are also fun (but a little less horsey). If you wanted to stay away from adult themes, Smiley's A Year at the Races is also good. Smiley is a great author--I had no idea how famous she was until we read an article she wrote on re-reading Huck Finn after she broke her leg...We read it in English class my junior year of high school and I was astounded that a horsey-writing woman was also a renowned author. Until then, I thought the two were mutually exclusive... ;)

Judy Richter's Pony Talk is great too. Is it still in publication? Even after reading it, I loved going back through and looking at the pictures of Frosty :)

poltroon
Apr. 29, 2009, 03:51 PM
I've got a great list started thanks to you COTHers. Anyone who wants a copy can shoot me an email at: jsalem@mindspring.com. Here's my plan-

The Reading List is divided into 2 sections- Horsey Fiction and Riding/Training Books. Some of the books are listed as (12 & under only). Students may choose one book from each section. They fill out a Book Report form (I'll make a form) for each book and turn in to me. They'll get a free day's coaching at a show in return. I figure it's worth it to me if they get just a little smarter!

My Book Reports forms will look something like this:

Horsey Fiction- Name, Author, Synopsis, Other Books By the Same Author, Was it realistic?, Did you enjoy?

Riding/Training- Name, Author, List 3 new things you learned that you plan to try with your own horse, Was there anything that you don't agree with? Explain

I love your whole idea here - really cool.

You might add to the fiction, depending upon what books you have on the list, if they learned anything about riding or horse care. How many of us had the lesson about not tying a horse to a tree from Summer Pony? :)

InWhyCee Redux
Apr. 29, 2009, 05:24 PM
Ditto on Jane Smiley's "Horse Heaven" for older kids, and her non-fiction "Year at the Races" is also great for TB fans. Smiley's first novel, "Barn Blind," is dark, but a good story about a H/J family ....

Has anybody mentioned "Seabiscuit" for teens?

twofatponies
Apr. 29, 2009, 06:34 PM
I love your whole idea here - really cool.

You might add to the fiction, depending upon what books you have on the list, if they learned anything about riding or horse care. How many of us had the lesson about not tying a horse to a tree from Summer Pony? :)

I agree - I learned about colic, the dangers of hidden wire fences, and all sorts of other things from reading horsey fiction.

I also liked ones about cowboys & the West, too. The only one I can vaguely remember the title of was called Steeldust, I think?

theblondejumper
Apr. 29, 2009, 09:20 PM
Possibles:
Patsey Gray's "Jumping Jack" had a heroine named Jill who rides a horse named Jack, ending was a horse show.

Betty Cavanna's "Spring Comes Riding" (1951) fits somewhat - heroine's name is Meg, she rides a chestnut mare part of the time, it's very old-fashioned in tone, she falls for a college boy named Alan (owns a palomino).

Thank you! I am fairly confident that those are the books I was referring to.

gusbabe
Apr. 29, 2009, 09:52 PM
Email failed. I was hoping to get the book list sent to me. Cfrie@ptd.net
Thanks

Renn/aissance
Apr. 30, 2009, 10:29 AM
Horsemanship books for older riders:
"Fit to Show" by Bill Cooney and Frank Madden.

For younger riders:
Lucinda Green's books are great.
"The Young Rider's Book of Horses and Horsemanship" may be out of print at this point (I have had a devil of a time finding a copy for my sister) but if you can get your hands on it, it is a great, kid-friendly, common-sense guide to riding, equitation, safety, and horsemanship.

Mozart
Apr. 30, 2009, 10:55 AM
[quote=poltroon;4055681]I think the OP needs PG suggestions here, guys, and there are plenty of them available. ;)

Age 10 is pretty young, and these aren't the OP's kids.

[quote]

You do know I was joking don't you?? Never in a million years would I seriously suggest Riders to young kids :eek:

I would, however, suggest JSalem have a look at Sweet William: A Memoir of an Old Horse. Mixed reveiws by the literati but my friends and I all like it. Perhaps a bit dark for the young ones but appropriate for teenage and up. http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-William-Memoir-Old-Horse/dp/0140236163

Event4Life
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:34 AM
For the older kids, what about the Dressage Cross Training books by Jane Savoie (sp)? Though they are not directly hunter/jumper related, they are easy to understand and give some great ideas for exercises.

Another good one of hers is "That Winning Feeling" (again, I think?).

Beau Cheval
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:43 AM
Riding and Jumping by Bill Stienkraus
Judging Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation by Anna White-Mullen
Geoff Teal's book Riding Hunters, Jumpers, and Equitation
William Micklem's book Horse Riding Manual.