PDA

View Full Version : NCHJA Annual

hideyourheart03
Apr. 28, 2009, 10:02 AM
Did anyone get the new schedule?

Though I will not be around to attend the show, I am incredibly disappointed. They have essentially eliminated the all professional jumper divisions, including the mini-prix, and moved all the jumpers to the back ring. I can't even begin to imagine the High Jr/AO classic out there!!! Along with that, they changed the Eq Finals. I know that Saturday night was normally long, but with the Ponies and Bryan Jones Sunday morning, they aren't as "special" and I doubt anyone will have time to watch at all. I also don't get why they're going to have a Hunter Derby with that much money if they can't get it to be an "official" USHJA one.

What did you guys think? I feel like the schedule makes little sense....

wolfpackfan
Apr. 28, 2009, 11:33 AM
My daughter's trainer informed me that they are not attending due to the schedule change and lack of classes that they would be interested in (professional jumper). Instead they will stay longer in Culpeper.

I am sad to hear that they are changing the pony eq finals to the morning. I really love seeing that and wanted my daugther to see it as well however we will likely miss it since she will have classes going on. Too bad.

We will be there with our local trainer but hate that the other trainer will not be there also. We love seeing him do the jumpers. Always very exciting!!

Limerick
Apr. 28, 2009, 12:20 PM
I was sad to see the Bryan Jones' Finals pushed to Sunday am too. It does make it just an another Eq class. Those other changes don't make sense either.

I haven't got my prize list yet but I understand stalls are more $$ than last year. Kind of puzzling considering the economy.

I hope my daughter can show but that is her last week of fourth grade (she's year round) and Short Stirrup goes Thursday and Friday am I believe.

Ponymom4
Apr. 28, 2009, 02:00 PM
We got our prizelist yesterday and I haven't had a chance to look at it, but what I'm hearing is extremely disappointing. In the past, the Annual was really the only chance locally for a decent jumper schedule for juniors since daughter is out of school. The rest of the shows during the year end the jumpers on Fridays. Now, with this schedule we may skip it too and let her head on down to Florida.

twototango
Apr. 28, 2009, 11:53 PM
I am really excited about the new NCHJA Annual schedule and the introduction of the NCHJA Hunter Derby as well as the change in schedule on the Equitation Finals. Did anybody really enjoy seeing a grand total of like 2 ponies make it around the Pony Equitation Finals course last year? Not me. Having the Pony Eq Finals on Sunday morning makes perfect sense as well as the Adults.....and it also showcases the EJ Haun Finals on Saturday night. And how many of us liked staying up until 10PM on Saturday night doing Eq finals? Ditto not me. And there are Children's/Adult Jumpers and Jr/AO Jumpers....the big Jumper class is gone (only about 5 entries last year rode in the big Jumper class.....so what was the point of that?) and replaced with a 3'6" Hunter Derby that finally recognizes and showcases the hunters and ought to be fun to watch and compete in late Friday afternoon. As far as cost goes, the costs are the same as any other AA show. Plus the footing has all been redone at the Horse Complex, so it ought to be a really nice show with this new format. We are all looking forward to it and can't wait!!

apachepony
Apr. 29, 2009, 05:27 AM
Plus the footing has all been redone at the Horse Complex

I wouldn't really be considering that a good thing...

lms
Apr. 29, 2009, 07:35 AM
Is the prize list available online anywhere?

WEBSTA
Apr. 29, 2009, 08:57 AM
I don't think it's quite fair to throw the pony eq riders under the bus. I have watched the finals many years and have seen years where the pony kids by far had the best courses and they are the only ones that don't ever get to show in the indoor arena. Also, to show case the EJ Haun finals is a llittle contradictory, two years ago when Don Stewart didn't show up, the top four consisted of chips adds, half strides and three leggers and an of course in the test. I hope if they are "showcasing" the EJ Haun they make sure Don is coming.

Limerick
Apr. 29, 2009, 10:03 AM
I love watching the kids and the ponies as well as the adults. I did think after last year, there should be a warm up for the ponies as they never get to go in that ring. I know people will tell me it's the finals and they should be ready for the challenge BUT that is a spooky ring and you want to let the kids shine.

Oh well.....I guess it isn't happening this year but I hope people fill in comment cards with constructive criticism regarding the show schedule.

Where did they re-do footing?? We were just there two weeks ago.

EqTrainer
Apr. 29, 2009, 10:06 AM
??? about the footing, too. A few weeks ago the outdoors were deep and slick after being watered. And watered. And watered....

wolfpackfan
Apr. 29, 2009, 10:19 AM
I understand there may have only been 5 entries in the big jumper event last year but many of us seldom get to watch the jumpers at that level (too busy with those pony kids!) so I know many look forward to the event. I also realize that 10pm is very late but... it is that once a year special occassion! Of course I don't have to work on staff from 6 am to 10 pm...but I enjoyed all that finals stuff on the big night...made it very special.

woodhillsmanhattan
Apr. 29, 2009, 03:40 PM
I was so excited when I heard the rumors of a hunter derby at NCHJA. Draw in a new, more competitive crowd. Get to see some different professionals riding around on nicer horses. Then I get the prize list and the darn thing isn't even USEF recognized. Looks like we are going to be watching another spotlighted mediocre water downed hunter derby :(. Not to be harsh, but that is what I am expecting it to be. I don't mind the eq finals being moved but I think they might of been able to fit the ponies and adults into a better spot. Maybe Friday night in the big ring? That way it still has the special, big deal, end of year, kind of feeling.

Midge
Apr. 29, 2009, 03:57 PM
Did anybody really enjoy seeing a grand total of like 2 ponies make it around the Pony Equitation Finals course last year?

And why will that be different if they have the class on Sunday morning instead of Saturday night?

juniormom
Apr. 30, 2009, 03:01 PM
They deserve "their time" too and others will be showing on Sunday morning, so it is just like any other show and not like a "finals."

KingoftheRoad
May. 4, 2009, 12:15 PM
Sadly, can't say that I'm surprised - the NCHJA has made it their unofficial mission to get rid of the jumpers entirely, and this year is another step in that direction. For the last several years, they have sabotaged the jumpers, especially the amateur ones, by putting the amateur classes in the middle of the week, at the end of the day, or in the middle of the day, everything that makes it impossible for WORKING AMATEURS to compete in these classes.

Every other decent show has the pro jumper stuff on Weds and Thurs so trainers can get horses used to the rings, then the amateur classes on Friday, Saturday, Sunday - might have to take off one day from work, but at least not three. Not at any of the Petty shows - nope - let's put the amateur jumpers Thursday around noon - that should get rid of all the jumpers, and then we can use the lame excuse that "Nobody showed up, therefore we're not offering the classes next time." This has been going on for YEARS, and it's one of the reasons I hardly ever show in Raleigh any more.

Now this year - they move us to the crappy ring in the back of the place - as if warming up in that top ring wasn't hard enough before - now let's just shuffle them off to the back where they won't even feel like they're at a real show.....feels like a red-headed stepchild!

Remember, they can earn tons more money by throwing 30 hunter ponies in the ring for a hack class than by actually setting a jumper course (as in, one that is more than a hunter course with an additional rollback thrown in.....) and running the jumpers like they should be done.

And we wonder why the US keeps falling behind the international community in the Equestrian events - when was the last time you saw a hunter hack class in the Olympics....

Hrmphh. Sorry - needed to vent - that frustration has been building for about.....ten years or so.

I'll be in Greensboro, or Pinehurst, or anyplace else where I can get some show miles for my jumper without being treated like a second-class citizen.

Wish they'd just change their name to NCHA - that's all they really care about anyway....