PDA

View Full Version : Trainers at smaller show

hAlter smalter
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:48 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I went to a show and something really bothered me. There is a trainer in the area who brought a few horses (as in 5 or 6). Most are very nice horses that happen to be for sale or in training with them. This trainer has the reputation of taking on expensive but difficult horses.

Anyhow, the situation that bothered me wasn't that she had brought the horses or that Trainer was there. It was that Trainer spent a long, LONG time in the arena for several of her trips - as in if she didn't like a line, she would re-do it. Stop at the end, every time. Redo the line or do the next line. Etc. They also even came into hunter classes in a German martingale at least once that I saw - obviously not there for points or places as they would be disqualified for that alone. They were in the ring for way longer than anyone else, every time.

As someone who shows on this local circuit and wants to do well, I can't figure out why they would waste all of our time. These trips took FOREVER. They weren't there for ribbons, places or year end awards (the horses aren't registered with the circuit). As it was, the show went to an obscene time with people showing after midnight the first night.

I'm not sure if it was a show management issue, or if this is something that the circuit board should address. I've never seen this person do this before, but it did seem to be in bad taste. What do you think? The more I think about it, the less I like it. Is it just me, or should there be a difference between a schooling ring and a show ring, no matter how local the circuit?

MyGiantPony
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:51 PM
Show management should have dealt with that.

We run a series of non-rated shows - very local stuff - and we'd never tolerate that behavior.

twobays
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:52 PM
I think the trainer was probably there to school the horses over a show course and because it was a schooling show, she didn't really care about wasting time.

Yes, she probably should have had more respect for everyone's time, but that's one of the risks you run at a schooling show.

rabicon
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:52 PM
I was talking to someone the other day at a show. They put on local c/t's and like she said if they say something to trainer than trainer won't come back to that show and that means they lose money. You guys will keep coming because you like the circuit. You can say something but that doesn't mean they will. This is why I love dressage and c/ts so much, you have a set time and if your not there then oh well you miss your go. Trainers can't say anything to you while you do your dressage test our your dqed no questions asked and when jumping they can't either. So nice. Good luck and I know it can be a pain, I went through it alot when I showed local hunters.

RugBug
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:58 PM
I run schooling shows. We try to make them very flexible and even I would say something about this. If she wanted to school in the matter described, I might allow her, but I would limit her time in the arena to 2 minutes or so to keep things moving. This is what we do with the bigger classes...they are schooling only and you get XX amount of time in the ring and we really don't care what you do during that time.

eclipse
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:59 PM
That's a show management issue! My barn runs a series of non-rated indoor shows & they are run just as well as any rated shows. They wouldn't tolerate that at all & if one trainer had an issue and was saying "well I won't come back then", my barn would probably open the door & say "don't let it hit you on the way out"! :lol:

Trevelyan96
Apr. 27, 2009, 02:35 PM
A
Anyhow, the situation that bothered me wasn't that she had brought the horses or that Trainer was there. It was that Trainer spent a long, LONG time in the arena for several of her trips - as in if she didn't like a line, she would re-do it. Stop at the end, every time. Redo the line or do the next line. Etc. ?

That seems strange, as even at a schooling show, there should still be some type of rules for going off course to get the trainer out of the ring for that type of thing. If she wants to school her horses at a show, fine, but she shouldn't be allowed to run everyone behind while she does it. Show management should have a policy of eliminating the rider after the 2nd off course to discourage this type of misuse and keep things moving for the competitors who are there to SHOW. If I were a show manager, the last thing I would want is a reputation for letting things run so far behind schedule because I'm allowing something like that type of misuse.

Hunter Mom
Apr. 27, 2009, 02:36 PM
I don't think I would want to go back to this one, personally.

XenophonKnows
Apr. 27, 2009, 02:44 PM
Yeah, been there seen that. If show management has an established relationship with another professional, they will allow this sort of thing. In other words, yes, her $$ is worth more to them. Her business is worth more to them, and yours ain't.

Myself, I am not too pleased with this BS, but I've spent some time myself getting banged about in the gallery with the unwashed masses waiting for a Local Demi-God to enjoy their private horse show schooling sessions. Irritating as all hell, not much you can do but complain, and then pack up and leave if they don't care about your complaints. If the LDG has 6 horses at the show, management probably can afford to lose you. And they ain't gonna cry much over it neither. Just another way that Horse Showing Sucks.

theroanypony
Apr. 27, 2009, 02:56 PM
I show in a local circuit and there's nothing that bothers me more than people schooling their horses in the show ring. Pre-green, hopeful hunters, schooling your horse in those classes seems like it would make sense. Doing a 5 minute long warm up trip on all of your students horses in the long stirrup, that seems like it's going too far. I've ridden in the dark once before, because of people taking such long warm-up trips. I've noticed since that show the judges have been excusing people after the certain amount of refusals, even in the warm up trips. But sometimes the trainers wont get out of the ring! They just continue you on, like they don't mind wasting everyone else time, as long as their student's horse gets around those 8 baby jumps of death. :rolleyes:

2DaPoint
Apr. 27, 2009, 11:11 PM
Announcer: "Thank you, rider."....... "THANK you, rider."...... "THANK YOU, rider." "Next horse on course, please....."
Seriously, the management needed to grow a pair and take care of that problem. Everybody pays the same amount of money to go in the ring, and the judge's time is valuable no matter who's in the ring.
That was just purely rude on the trainer's part.
huurrrumph
KD

fourmares
Apr. 28, 2009, 01:47 AM
This is a management problem and a judge problem. Seriously they could have put a stop to it. It's simple. 3 stops is a DQ, rejumping a jump is a DQ. Bye-Bye. "Thank you rider." If management won't do it, I'd be tempted to say something to the trainer myself, and LOUDLY close to the arena and as big a crowd as possible... but I'm older and outspoken. I'm actually surprised none of the other trainers at the show said any thing to her. She was wasting their time too.

je.suis
Apr. 28, 2009, 06:47 AM
There's one in every crowd, one at every show. I realize horses have to start someplace and a small show is perfect, however, you have your chance, do your job, leave the ring and let the next horse have a chance. You can't teach manners at a show, they have to arrive with them! I feel the same way when "trainers" stand on the rail schooling students at local shows. Do your schooling at home and save the ring for the horses and riders who are prepared to be competing that day ! It's rude.

IslandGirl
Apr. 28, 2009, 08:02 AM
If the trainer wanted to school over the show jumps, s/he should have arranged to have some private time in the ring after the show was over (or the day before or after) to avoid being so disrespectful and inconsiderate of the other show attendees. If s/he wanted the horse(s) to have the experience in the ring with the outside distractions, fine. But go in and do the course, THEN work on the problem areas after everyone else has gone home. I'm in the camp that thinks it was extremely rude.