PDA

View Full Version : Conformation Critique

adelmo95
Apr. 27, 2009, 12:23 PM
I would be intterested to hear everyone's input on this mare's conformation. In the pictures she is 5 years old. I am hoping she will become a jumper.

http://www.freewebs.com/adelmo95/izzie.htm

Thanks

unclewiggly
Apr. 27, 2009, 12:27 PM
Unless you already have a Face Book account you photos aren't available to be viewed.

Petstorejunkie
Apr. 27, 2009, 12:34 PM
I dont particularly care for the angles in her hind end for jumping (steep croup, no really angulation from hip to gaskin to hock). I would say she'd be fine for the lower divisions (3ft and under) but i dont see her being a GP superstar. Also the closed angle of her shoulder may make her limited in her tuck over a jump.

She looks to me like she would do well as a lower level novice horse, local stuff, not really A quality. If she's a good deal go for it.

adelmo95
Apr. 27, 2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks for mentioning about not being able to see the pictures, you can also view them at http://www.freewebs.com/adelmo95/izzie.htm

mrsbradbury
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:00 PM
At first glance this is a lovely typey mare.
Her coat is gleaming and she is in good flesh and has a sweet look about her.

Her hip and shoulder angles do not match, and her foreman sits to far under her point of shoulder, and her croup is very long and slanted. In the second photo she appears to be back at the knee, which could make jumping large fences a concern for long term soundness of that joint. She is somewhat post legged behind as well.

Her back is straight and appears strong, she seems to have nice bone and the tendons look good and tight.

I suspect that her left front leg is not straight when you look head on by the way she throws it to the side in her under saddle photo.

Have fun with her, I would like to see more as she develops with her training.

unclewiggly
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:01 PM
Nice legs, lovely pasturns.
Other than the steep croup she is very nice mare. Good withers to neck and her head is hung on neck well.
The photos of her moving show she has nice stride and moves uphill.
Even horses purpose bred for jumping don't always function as the pedigree would indicate.
She looks to be sound, well cared for and a good mover. Just keep going up through the levels until she tell you she's reached limit of her potential.
Is she not quiet enough for the hunters????

Hauwse
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:24 PM
We could talk all day about her conformation and the aspects that "may indicate" a predication to a specific discipline, but the reality is that conformation is not even close to the last word.

For instance the ability of a horse to tuck well is a non issue if the horse can jump high enough. You see it all the time in the jumpers, horses that have less than perfect form, usually conformation based, that simply have so much jump it is of no consequence.

As they say "the proof is in the pudding"

I do not see anything wrong with her conformation per say, and I do not see GP horse or level 4 etc., but that is true of many horses I evaluate. Bold Mistrel or Touch of Class would never have screamed GP horse to me either, but they sure h*** were.

What I do find very promising is that the pictures of her standing show no indication of her movement. When I look at the pictures of her under saddle I am surprised that it is the same horse, and she definitely shows me something moving.

The point being conformation can help evaluate a horse. You can see possible problems, and yes, you can sometimes get a warm fuzzy. However the true test is whether the horse can do it or not. Frequently that has nothing to do with what we see on the outside.

I am sure you understand, you will get some people who say they see jumper, some who say not, but what the hell do we know, we are only looking at a picture, and if you were asking whether she would make a strip horse you would get a true answer, but jumper, hunter, eventer..... who knows, but you will once you get to a certain point in her training.

Patience Grasshopper, and don't be influenced by the comments of us back seat drivers. As Steinkraus stated, no horse succeeds without a partner that truly believes in them.

Best of Luck!

adelmo95
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the comments, so far they have been very informative. She has proven herself to be a bit hot for the hunter ring, otherwise I would have considered that career path for her as well however with the jumping I have done with her (wish I had video or pictures) she has proven to be a brave careful jumper.

adelmo95
Apr. 27, 2009, 05:18 PM
bump

adelmo95
May. 1, 2009, 06:35 PM
last bump

jetsetter
May. 2, 2009, 12:34 AM
We could talk all day about her conformation and the aspects that "may indicate" a predication to a specific discipline, but the reality is that conformation is not even close to the last word.

For instance the ability of a horse to tuck well is a non issue if the horse can jump high enough. You see it all the time in the jumpers, horses that have less than perfect form, usually conformation based, that simply have so much jump it is of no consequence.

As they say "the proof is in the pudding"

I do not see anything wrong with her conformation per say, and I do not see GP horse or level 4 etc., but that is true of many horses I evaluate. Bold Mistrel or Touch of Class would never have screamed GP horse to me either, but they sure h*** were.

What I do find very promising is that the pictures of her standing show no indication of her movement. When I look at the pictures of her under saddle I am surprised that it is the same horse, and she definitely shows me something moving.

The point being conformation can help evaluate a horse. You can see possible problems, and yes, you can sometimes get a warm fuzzy. However the true test is whether the horse can do it or not. Frequently that has nothing to do with what we see on the outside.

I am sure you understand, you will get some people who say they see jumper, some who say not, but what the hell do we know, we are only looking at a picture, and if you were asking whether she would make a strip horse you would get a true answer, but jumper, hunter, eventer..... who knows, but you will once you get to a certain point in her training.

Patience Grasshopper, and don't be influenced by the comments of us back seat drivers. As Steinkraus stated, no horse succeeds without a partner that truly believes in them.

Best of Luck!

Couldn't have been put any better!!!

nlk
May. 2, 2009, 01:13 AM
Oh my I think I have a sister to her! I have to post the pic they look a lot alike!

http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii435/shimmergirl_19_2009/naomi_in_hand.jpg

I also agree with Hauwse...

adelmo95
May. 2, 2009, 07:50 PM
They do look a lot a like, what is your mare's breeding? You can find my mare's pedigree at http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/index.php?query_type=horse&h=TEMPTING+LOLA&g=5&cellpadding=0&small_font=1&l= I don't know how to post pedigrees on that site but that is her full sister.