PDA

View Full Version : Small random rant from the fashion police

GreystoneKC
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:13 AM
(this isn't in total seriousness, but I just needed to get this out)

Why is it that some people seem to buy their show clothes in the dark?? It seems like every show we go to lately, I turn to someone in the barn and whisper, seriously? *that* jacket on *that* horse??

I think the thing I hate the most is the brown trend. Brown helmet, light brown jacket, light peach shirt, beige skin, beige pants (or WORSE green beige TS), chestnut horse... Ew. IT ALL BLENDS IN! It's like one big blob of brown! And don't even get me started with people who wear the green beige breeches with light brown or light grey jackets... Uhg.

I'm sorry I really think the light brown/greys do not look good on chestnuts. Barely passable on bays. I get it, I own a light brown jacket. It's cool. It's trendy. I went there. Sad thing is, I barely wear it because I think it looks like poop on anything I ride so it sits in my closet being all gorgeous on it's lonesome, destined for ebay so I can get another black jacket.

Oh yes, black is always in.

And if you have a LOUD critter, that away from the LOUD jackets! We have a pinto with 2 blue eyes, I made my two kids that ride and show him stick with medium-teal blue and navy blue jackets. They got to have fun by having a teal and lime green linings (respectively) and they don't compete with him for attention. Please do not wear a 2-colour jacket if your pony is more than 2 colours!!!

In that same vein, just this past weekend I saw examples of both DO and DON'T with loud-coloured ponies... Funky roany app pony, mostly whitish with some chestnutty-brown roan and spots thrown in... kid had a light greyish-brown jacket that almost matched the pony and a bright pastel shirt. They looked PERFECT! As if they actually *thought* about the pony when they dressed the kid. The were a great pair. On the other hand, there was an adorable little palomino... I love palominos and this pony was flashy as heck, but you know what? All I could do was see how TERRIBLE the kid's light grey jacket looked with the pony's golden coat. The peach shirt and bows were *almost* right for the pair, but the grey? Only saving grace -- I found out the pony is a sale pony, so maybe it's just the kid's jacket she usually wears (and obviously I wouldn't go so far as to say get a new jacket for riding a sale pony!).

Very few people look GOOD in yellow. Even fewer light brown and grey jackets look good with yellow!

People with dark bays are very lucky - they can pretty much wear anything and get away with it!

Navy blue ALWAYS works - even if it can be a bit boring.

TUCK YOUR SHIRT IN!!! If you can't keep your shirt from sticking out from under your jacket, you should NOT be riding in low rise breeches!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just because you ride in the jumpers and don't have to be formally attired does NOT mean you can look like a slob. This could take me to its very own thread....

So my main messages? Be neat. Be clean. Be well-fitted. After that, take a look at how your jacket looks like your pants and for the love of hunters, please think about how a jacket will look on your horse before you just buy it because you're in love with it (or it's lining!)!!!

amastrike
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:20 AM
It seems like every show we go to lately, I turn to someone in the barn and whisper, seriously? *that* jacket on *that* horse??

Sounds to me like you have the problem, not the fashion offenders. Concentrate on yourself don't worry so much about the other riders. It's a horse show, not middle school.

GreystoneKC
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:30 AM
Hahahahahaha sounds to me like you take life too seriously and need to pull the stick out of you-know-where. But we're all entitled to our opinions. :)

amastrike
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:40 AM
I'm not the one whispering about other people's clothes.

Hunter Mom
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:41 AM
Sorry, but I'm going to have to agree with OP. I've had the chance to talk with a judge or two, and when the outfit is so ugly on the horse it is distracting, it is a problem. Being neat and ready for the ring is never a bad thing.

xabbracadabra
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:46 AM
As the owner of a light brown jacket and the rider of a bay horse I have to say shove it. I can't go out and buy a new jacket every time I ride a new horse. And I refuse to spend a lot of money on one. I'll gladly take my $100 RJ Classic Brown Jacket into the show ring on any day and on any horse I ride because I am not a bucket of money. And just because YOU don't like it does not mean other people don't

findeight
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:49 AM
And no judge ever knocked a Hunter trip down because of clothing.

Maybe they bought them second hand, or they are from a previous horse.

Frankly, where I show, even local, we don't see anything anybody could possibly call loud and after all those years I spent in QH and Arabian, don't even think they make them.

Don't we have other things to discuss, like poling or mastering the leg yield?

vxf111
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:53 AM
Taste is in the eye of the beholder. I can't stand those dark colored or black show shirts, you love yours ;) I love rust. Some people hate it. Fashion is very subjective. As long as you look clean and well turned out, I would think your ride would have to be drop-dead AMAZING for the pinning to come down to whether the judge thinks your coat matches with your horse.

Yellow looks terrific on fair skinned blondes. :) I had a barnmate at a prior barn who rode a chestnut and had a navy jacket with a brightish yellow (not neon but not pastel either) shirt and she REALLY looked good and stood out from the pastel-pastel shirts. Another girl at the barn wears a taupe jacket, off white shirt, and brown helmet on a LOUD chestnut pinto pony. Very tone-on-tone but it looks subtle and classy. And my eye goes right to her in a sea of navy and gray and she's got beautiful equitation and a cute horse so the attention is a good thing.

I don't think there are hard-and-fast rules like "brown hunt coats never look good on a chestnut." Depends on the brown, depends on the chestnut. I have to see it in person and in natural light. I've seen combinations that I thought looked great in the tack shop and when I look at them in sunlight I wonder if I was on crack-- and I've seen people put together combinations I would never have thought of and look super.

I've honestly never seen someone who I looked at and thought "mismatched" due to color combinations. I've seen ratty turnout and very old fashioned looking items (velvet collar etc.) but I can't ever recally being stuck by the mismatch of clothing and horse. And I've been to some backwoods type shows ;)

Coreene
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:13 AM
Hahahahahaha sounds to me like you take life too seriously and need to pull the stick out of you-know-where. But we're all entitled to our opinions. :)

You're the one on an ass-tear about fashion, and now someone else is taking life too seriously? :dead:

Heineken
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:20 AM
Seriously Greystone...it scares me that you are a pro. Keep your opinions to yourself, neither God nor GM have deemed you the fashion police.

ExJumper
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:22 AM
(this isn't in total seriousness, but I just needed to get this out)

Why is it that some people seem to buy their show clothes in the dark?? It seems like every show we go to lately, I turn to someone in the barn and whisper, seriously? *that* jacket on *that* horse??

I think the thing I hate the most is the brown trend. Brown helmet, light brown jacket, light peach shirt, beige skin, beige pants (or WORSE green beige TS), chestnut horse... Ew. IT ALL BLENDS IN! It's like one big blob of brown! And don't even get me started with people who wear the green beige breeches with light brown or light grey jackets... Uhg.

I'm sorry I really think the light brown/greys do not look good on chestnuts. Barely passable on bays. I get it, I own a light brown jacket. It's cool. It's trendy. I went there. Sad thing is, I barely wear it because I think it looks like poop on anything I ride so it sits in my closet being all gorgeous on it's lonesome, destined for ebay so I can get another black jacket.

Oh yes, black is always in.

And if you have a LOUD critter, that away from the LOUD jackets! We have a pinto with 2 blue eyes, I made my two kids that ride and show him stick with medium-teal blue and navy blue jackets. They got to have fun by having a teal and lime green linings (respectively) and they don't compete with him for attention. Please do not wear a 2-colour jacket if your pony is more than 2 colours!!!

In that same vein, just this past weekend I saw examples of both DO and DON'T with loud-coloured ponies... Funky roany app pony, mostly whitish with some chestnutty-brown roan and spots thrown in... kid had a light greyish-brown jacket that almost matched the pony and a bright pastel shirt. They looked PERFECT! As if they actually *thought* about the pony when they dressed the kid. The were a great pair. On the other hand, there was an adorable little palomino... I love palominos and this pony was flashy as heck, but you know what? All I could do was see how TERRIBLE the kid's light grey jacket looked with the pony's golden coat. The peach shirt and bows were *almost* right for the pair, but the grey? Only saving grace -- I found out the pony is a sale pony, so maybe it's just the kid's jacket she usually wears (and obviously I wouldn't go so far as to say get a new jacket for riding a sale pony!).

Very few people look GOOD in yellow. Even fewer light brown and grey jackets look good with yellow!

People with dark bays are very lucky - they can pretty much wear anything and get away with it!

Navy blue ALWAYS works - even if it can be a bit boring.

TUCK YOUR SHIRT IN!!! If you can't keep your shirt from sticking out from under your jacket, you should NOT be riding in low rise breeches!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just because you ride in the jumpers and don't have to be formally attired does NOT mean you can look like a slob. This could take me to its very own thread....

So my main messages? Be neat. Be clean. Be well-fitted. After that, take a look at how your jacket looks like your pants and for the love of hunters, please think about how a jacket will look on your horse before you just buy it because you're in love with it (or it's lining!)!!!

Why is a light brown jacket that matches your chestnut horse bad, but a greyish-brown jacket that matches your roany pony good?

I look good in yellow.

And you are not going to get away with railing on about the minute details of color combinations for 95% of the post and then tossing in "Be neat. Be clean. Be well-fitted." at the end like that was the point of your post. 95% of what you should care about is being neat, clean, and well fitted. 5% should worry about matching -- if that! I can honestly say that NEVER have I seen a mounted rider and thought that her coat clashed with her horse. I have thought that I didn't like the color of her shirt, but that's just me :)

I have navy, grey, brown, olive coats, and I wore them all with my old chestnut and anything else I hopped on for a few classes (bay, grey, black). Didn't keep us from winning championships at AA rated shows, and thinking back on some of my outfits, you probably would have had some sort of fit about them.

Man, usually I'm 100% behind you, GKC, but this post is just really kind of petty.

grandprixjump
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:36 AM
That ride in a polo from Wal-mart instead of spending more on a Joules shirt, than our horse costs :lol:? (I'm not saying the horse is CHEAP, I'm saying some of these clothes are crazy priced). This Fashion $_it is EXTREMELY over rated. If I rode hunters I sure wouldn't go out and have a closet full of coats just to have one that matched EVERY possible of horse I would ride.

loshad
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:45 AM
I think grey looks lovely on a chestnut, myself.

findeight
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:52 AM
If that GP coat is on sale? It matches.

I thought only the QH peeps were that matchy matchy.

Does Aunt Ester care to comment on brown coats with chestnut horses?

ImTheOwner
Apr. 27, 2009, 11:02 AM
If that GP coat is on sale? It matches.

I love this! If it's on sale - it matches! Couldn't have said it better myself.

InWhyCee Redux
Apr. 27, 2009, 11:18 AM
Oh, goodness, I better quit now, or at least start carting an extra pair of breeches to the barn —if I am assigned to chestnut, how could my trainer focus on my legs seeing they are usually encased in a pair of icky heather-grey schooling breeches?

OP, did you ever think people wear certain colors because that is what they HAVE, and they really can't afford to go buy a new jacket, or multiple jackets, to ensure they're in the perfect color for every horse? Or, maybe, they just like brown jackets and yellow shirts?

(Personally, I look like death in yellow; black is my color and, yes, I own a black show jacket and I wear it, FP be damned. And if I ever get a new show shirt, it will be BLACK, too!)

NEIGH-HAM: Green on a chestnut looks FAB, IMHO.

brightwhitestockings
Apr. 27, 2009, 11:21 AM
So tell me, oh wise one- what color jacket/shirt/breeches shall i wear with my chestnut from now on so that if you see me at a show i can be aesthetically pleasing to you?

well sh!t! & i thought being in high school was bad...

meupatdoes
Apr. 27, 2009, 11:23 AM
Sorry, but I still fully intend to wear my medium brown jacket with my stone colored breeches on my chromed out chestnut and love every minute of it.

I may even buy the brown CO solely for purposes of completing the look. Currently my grey hat sits on top, and that looks a little silly imo but otoh the horse moves so fly that no one is looking at me anyhow. :P

ETA:

Oh, goodness, I better quit now, or at least start carting an extra pair of breeches to the barn —if I am assigned to chestnut, how could my trainer focus on my legs seeing they are usually encased in a pair of icky heather-grey schooling breeches?

OP, did you ever think people wear certain colors because that is what they HAVE, and they really can't afford to go buy a new jacket, or multiple jackets, to ensure they're in the perfect color for every horse? Or, maybe, they just like brown jackets and yellow shirts? (Personally, I look like death in yellow; black is my color and, yes, I own a black show jacket and I wear it, FP be damned.)

I own a grey horse, a bay horse, and a chestnut.

Surely Greystone will not mind if I hold the schooling hunter ring just so that I can pop back to the trailer quick to change in between each horse.

NEIGH-HAM
Apr. 27, 2009, 11:33 AM
I shall join the ranks of fashion poo-poo by wearing my green jacket with very light green matching shirt on my chestnut:winkgrin:

theroanypony
Apr. 27, 2009, 11:40 AM
My coats don't match my horse. My shirts don't match my coats. My breeches don't match my shirts. And my monograms don't match anything at all! My belt looks nice with everything though. I happen to care more about how my eq looks and how well my pony is groomed, rather than whether or not I match.

Graystone, I think it's safe to say; you have too much time on your hands. :D

ImTheOwner
Apr. 27, 2009, 11:46 AM
I shall join the ranks of fashion poo-poo by wearing my green jacket with very light green matching shirt on my chestnut:winkgrin:

I thought green was THE classic, safest color to wear with a chestnut? (Classic safe colors being green, navy, black). I know people aren't wearing green that much.

RugBug
Apr. 27, 2009, 11:53 AM
I'll admit to thinking about similar things...pertaining to my horse only. My horse is dark bay...my favorite coat is a light taupe...it looks smashing on him, IMO. :D I even bought another one that is quite close to it because I love it so much.

Then I started thinking about which coat to where on the chestnut I'm showing right now. I didn't want to wear either blue one...but there was no way the taupe coat would look good on him. Blech. (I wore olive which looked great) (I do wear yellow with a navy coat on him, though. Looks pretty nice...again, my opinion. )

Then I started thinking about the pinto baby and what I would wear on him. He's a bay with minimal white (four stockings, a blaze and two other patches of white on his body) and again I realized my favorite coat would look awful on him.

I realized how lucky I am with a dark bay. My horse literally doesn't have a bad color. He matches everything. The other two...not so much.

It's not a crime if you don't think about these things...but some of us do....that's not a crime either. :winkgrin: It may be a crime, however, the way the OP presented her opinion. :D

unclewiggly
Apr. 27, 2009, 11:58 AM
You know this is seriously why I HATE TO SHOW.
I can be more concerned about what the tongue waggers making snide comments about me/clothes/weight/ than whats really important "my horses".Who are awesome I might add. Seriously this "Fashion" police crap is so "Middle School" its pathetic!!!

Ozone
Apr. 27, 2009, 12:00 PM
I would rather rock a hunter trip
I would rather rock a jumper trip
I would rather rock an Eq. trip

Then care what you think I should be wearing in the ring because ..............

I rock in YELLOW!!! On my roasty chestnut wilderbeast :)

P.s. My only and yes, only gripe is a teal shirt and a green hunt coat and don't think I have not seen it on some ss riders or some local pony hunters ... a white shirt would have fixed it - kinda!

Trixie
Apr. 27, 2009, 12:06 PM
You know this is seriously why I HATE TO SHOW.
I can be more concerned about what the tongue waggers making snide comments about me/clothes/weight/ than whats really important "my horses".Who are awesome I might add. Seriously this "Fashion" police crap is so "Middle School" its pathetic!!!

Did I misunderstand, you're saying you're seriously more concerned about railbirds than you are about your horses? And that's the reason you hate horse showing?

I don't particularly like ugly, and there are some rules that are separate for riding than they are for regular dress - seriously, how many of us actually wear puke green saran wrap pants to the office, paired with a lavender or pink shirt? Ugh. I will admit that color combinations don't bother me NEARLY as much as clothes that don't fit, because as unflattering as breeches are, super tight breeches are just appalling.

Rosie
Apr. 27, 2009, 12:34 PM
Well, I'm a creative director at an ad agency. So I look at color/design all day long. Clients pay me (partly) to ensure that their ads/commercials look good. So yeah, I notice things like great - and not-so-great clothing choices at shows. (actually everywhere - not just shows)

But lack of fashion sense has NOTHING to do with riding ability. Or being smart. Or personable.
And I can't imagine "whispering" to barn mates about such things. Especially if you are a trainer?

As far as decreeing that "you should never wear brown while riding a chestnut, etc" - I've found some of the most fabulous outfits break all the "rules". And if it's a beautifully ridden round? I'm admiring it - no matter what it's wearing. :)

unclewiggly
Apr. 27, 2009, 12:54 PM
Standing on the rail and listening to the "Fashion Police" making snide remarks can dampen anyones spirits.
No one wants to be the focus of those mean thoughtless remarks. I have every confidence in my abiility to school and present a horse to its highest potential, but being the butt of the "Fashion Polices" joke just ruins the whole experiance.
I have groomed/braided on the Big "AA" ciruit where more attention was paid by some riders to how many braids a horse had then how well the trip.
People focus so much on the maker of a bridle not for the quality but because its the "In" thing.Same goes for saddles and while its not always the bigger "Pro's" who fuel these "faux Fashion" trends its down right ridiculous to promote the notion that W/O your puke green T/S (and i got em) and your tone on tone monograme shirts, GPA helemt you just don't fit in w/ the "in crowd".
Happening to be in a Golf Cart w/ a top trainer when he casually remarked to an A/O rider new to his barn, (she had on beige T/s, Dehner field boots, CH black velvet helmet) C****e, before the next show loose the beige breeches, order Vogels and get a GPA.
So yeah I was one of the girls hiding in the Middle school bathroom concerned my not so perfect not so trendy outfit was going to get me sniggered at.
I like clean and neat, well fitted, classic look everytime.

Trevelyan96
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:01 PM
GASP! I do not own a NAVY coat! Mine are dark chocolate brown, and an olive with rose pinstripe. And both my horses are chesntuts. No ribbons for me I guess.

DD is in even worse shape, her coat is gray with purple pinstripe and all her breeches are green-beige.

Oh the shame of it! :eek:

GreystoneKC
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:04 PM
Wow, at first I was reading all these responses thinking, damn, maybe I shouldn't have posted this after all... but actually, the whole thing has given me a bit of a giggle, so I'm actually glad I did. I'm a big girl, I don't need everyone to agree with me - although I am actually surprised no one else has ever noticed some of these things.

I do feel that neat, clean, and well-fitted is THE most important fact. However, we all know there is a fashion side to things. There are probably at LEAST 3 threads on the front page about it at a time. Eventers come asking what's appropriate for the hunter ring, pony kids ask what's hot this season, someone always wants to declare their love/hate for rust, and God forbid bows come up... this is just my thread of my opinion in response to all fashion threads.

For the record, I probably should have mentioned this somewhere in that first post, that I do understand about some people having jackets and then getting a new horse, or having more than one horse, etc, similar to what I said about the little girl riding the sale pony.

Maybe it's my art background, who knows, but I'm sorry, some colours just do NOT look good together to me. Yes, SOME browns or greys (more the grey) look ok on a chestnut, but I still think blues or greens look much better. Yellow DOES look great on pale-skinned (and sometimes even darker-skinned) blondes! That is exactly who I was thinking of when I said "most" people don't look good in yellow. I'm jealous, I like yellow, but it looks like death on me.

As V pointed out, I have my own fashion sense, and I like pushing the envelope. I have no doubts people occasionally whisper about my black shirt (not that I have worn it is years) or purple jacket or blinged helmet. Do I care? Nope. Maybe that's why I have no issue discussing everyone else's outfits. I like talking fashion. As I once said on an eventing board... If you ride well enough to back it up, who the heck cares if you worry about what you look like also?!?

Amas: Yes, I whisper about others. I'm ok with that. I am quite sure I'm not the only person talking about other people behind their backs at the shows. At least I'm only discussing what styles I like and don't, unlike many other people at the shows with more negative things to say.

F8: Actually, I think the overall look DOES matter to judges. I'm not saying that if I am judging (or any judge for that matter) I will pin down a kid because I don't think her light brown jacket looks bad on her chestnut horse, but I do think that first impression when you walk into the ring is very important. The "if it's for sale, it matches", thing made me LOL but I must say, I am just a poor pro, but I can't roll that way. If I don't like it and it won't work, I won't go there. I'd rather save for a year for something I want - which I am actually about to do.

V: you and I seem to be almost on the same page

Correen: Yes, because it is a horse show, and what you and your horse look like actually matter. So I think Amas made a bit of a snippy response that was unnecessary.

Hein: Yeah. Sure. Whatever you say. My kids look great, our horses look great, and for a small family-owned and operated show barn, we all do very well at the shows. So I don't think you have any right to talk about my pro status because I think brown looks like poo on a chestnut.

XJump: I like you :)

GPJ: I love cheap polos. Especially Old Navy. I never said squat about things having to be expensive, but I DO thing it should fit a good "look" and of course, be neat, clean, tidy. If that cheap polo is tucked in and not unbuttoned so I can see the girls, I am happy. :)

IWCR: Yes, I have thought that. But I cringed when you said about the brown and yellow - I must admit that is the one I hate the most. But I'm with you, I love black. ::sigh::

BWS: High school DID suck, for the record.

MeUPD: I happen to love your grey helmet. Especially on the grey. I have one but it was the unapproved one so I can't wear it anymore. And for the record, with time, I have changed coats between horses before.

Neigh: I love green on chestnut! A student of mine just rocked a look that most people would consider ugly and/or old fashioned at her very first (schooling) horse show and I thought she looked great. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=2746&id=1770451853 It's hard to see the shirt, but it's white with little green/red/black pinstripes.

Yeah, so that ended up long, but it's all good. I'm cheerful today so I'm just getting a kick out of everybody's oh-so-serious responses to something I thought would just be another random fashion thread.

GreystoneKC
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:08 PM
GASP! I do not own a NAVY coat! Mine are dark chocolate brown, and an olive with rose pinstripe. And both my horses are chesntuts. No ribbons for me I guess.

DD is in even worse shape, her coat is gray with purple pinstripe and all her breeches are green-beige.

Oh the shame of it! :eek:

Don't know what you read in my post, but I think that sounds great.

Trixie
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:09 PM
Standing on the rail and listening to the "Fashion Police" making snide remarks can dampen anyones spirits.
No one wants to be the focus of those mean thoughtless remarks. I have every confidence in my abiility to school and present a horse to its highest potential, but being the butt of the "Fashion Polices" joke just ruins the whole experiance.
I have groomed/braided on the Big "AA" ciruit where more attention was paid by some riders to how many braids a horse had then how well the trip.
People focus so much on the maker of a bridle not for the quality but because its the "In" thing.Same goes for saddles and while its not always the bigger "Pro's" who fuel these "faux Fashion" trends its down right ridiculous to promote the notion that W/O your puke green T/S (and i got em) and your tone on tone monograme shirts, GPA helemt you just don't fit in w/ the "in crowd".
Happening to be in a Golf Cart w/ a top trainer when he casually remarked to an A/O rider new to his barn, (she had on beige T/s, Dehner field boots, CH black velvet helmet) C****e, before the next show loose the beige breeches, order Vogels and get a GPA.
So yeah I was one of the girls hiding in the Middle school bathroom concerned my not so perfect not so trendy outfit was going to get me sniggered at.
I like clean and neat, well fitted, classic look everytime.

You know, I’ve been showing for well over a decade and I don’t think anyone has ever said an unpleasant word to me about my tack or attire, with the exception of one unfortunate mushroom helmet that really did look tragic. I’ve never even heard a complaint about the wrong shade of breeches unless they CLASHED or didn’t fit, a word about my monogram (on a shirt that I bought for $10, with someone ELSE’s monogram on it… yet no one noticed or said a word), or my boots, or anything. Either you’re riding with the wrong people, or focusing on the wrong things, or there’s a twee chip on your shoulder. Hiding in the bathroom? :eek:

I commend those of you who ride so well that all a "top trainer" has to pick on you for is your CLOTHING.

bascher
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:14 PM
I own a grey horse, a bay horse, and a chestnut.

Surely Greystone will not mind if I hold the schooling hunter ring just so that I can pop back to the trailer quick to change in between each horse.

Haha that made me laugh out loud. I can just imagine the reactions, especially when, like the show I went to yesterday, they ended up showing in the dark because it went so long.

GreystoneKC
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:16 PM
But lack of fashion sense has NOTHING to do with riding ability. Or being smart. Or personable.
And I can't imagine "whispering" to barn mates about such things. Especially if you are a trainer?

So now I'm not intelligent or personable? Interesting. I think people who actually *know* me would definitely disagree. And trainers have free time too. I don't see how it is shocking to anyone that a trainer could have time when they would stand at the rail with someone and talk about things they see. I don't see how it is so shocking to turn to someone and say. "geez, I really don't like that jacket and shirt combo on that horse" or "omg I LOVE that jacket I absolutely MUST have it!" or "isn't that an amazing jacket lining?" or "I like that jacket but I think it would look better with ____ colour shirt". As I said before, at least I'm just talking about fashion. Many trainers are discussing far cattier or disappointing things. Like i said, my students do just fine. ;-)

Go Fish
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:30 PM
I'm a fair-skinned blonde and wearing yellow makes me look like I have the flu.

I'm with a few other posters...bring back the hunter green coats. Fab on a chestnut...

Montanas_Girl
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:59 PM
Funny, no one ever told my chestnut gelding that he didn't "match" my old brown coat: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30139453&l=cfef4454eb&id=52700902 I used to get tons of compliments on that coat, especially when I wore it with a very dark purple shirt. It was eyecatching in a good way - or so everyone seemed to think.

I guess I shouldn't have bought my new gray coat either: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31592316&l=ca900405d9&id=52700902

The fact that YOU don't like certain color combinations doesn't mean those colors don't appeal to other people. :rolleyes:

twobays
Apr. 27, 2009, 02:03 PM
So now I'm not intelligent or personable? Interesting. I think people who actually *know* me would definitely disagree. And trainers have free time too. I don't see how it is shocking to anyone that a trainer could have time when they would stand at the rail with someone and talk about things they see. I don't see how it is so shocking to turn to someone and say. "geez, I really don't like that jacket and shirt combo on that horse" or "omg I LOVE that jacket I absolutely MUST have it!" or "isn't that an amazing jacket lining?" or "I like that jacket but I think it would look better with ____ colour shirt". As I said before, at least I'm just talking about fashion. Many trainers are discussing far cattier or disappointing things. Like i said, my students do just fine. ;-)

I think its always rude to be gossiping about people behind their backs. End of story. I wouldn't send my kid to a trainer who thought it was OK to make rude comments about people behind their backs.

Its one thing to talk about fashion on the boards; its another thing to insult people when their friends/family may be within earshot.

HuntJumpSC
Apr. 27, 2009, 02:27 PM
Guess I'd better send the brand new rust TS's I picked up for $30 back when they come in this week! :no:
And I used to be the queen of clothes: at least 5 coats, numerous shirts in all colors & designs, rust, mocha, grey & puke green TS's, lots of boot socks & belts. But guess what? I had a kid recently, so there they went to Ebay city (where most came from!). Now I'm starting over with what still fits: an indigo blue Van Teal shirt, a lilac plaid Marigold, a dark grey plaid Grand Prix coat, and the rust TS's (since I had to part with everything a size smaller)
I'm now in the process of buying another trailer, and *gasp* how will I ever find a horse to match my outfit??? :confused: Oh no! I'm doomed before I even make it back to the show ring! :lol:

LetsRide
Apr. 27, 2009, 02:28 PM
Pot meet kettle.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2128705900053076870Yxlnqt

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2141782290053076870vWMGVF

:)

WWGeorgeMorrisD
Apr. 27, 2009, 02:42 PM
Crossover from eventer-world here.

Most days I do not care one bit what anyone wears and as long as my underwear is covered and I am alive at the end of the day, it is a fashion win for me.

but wow that charles owen with the crystals must be the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I feel like I need my vision checked and I think I am getting a migraine just from looking at a picture online. I do not blame GreystoneKC from whispering behind the back of the person wearing that. Where was the persons trainer or someone with any sense?

Rosie
Apr. 27, 2009, 02:51 PM
GreystoneKC,
Didn't mean to imply that YOU aren't intelligent or personable - I meant that judging people based on their clothing choices is pretty superficial. I'm sure you'll agree that having a highly developed fashion sense is somewhat unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
And any time you start stating that certain things are "awful" (like brown + chestnut= bad) well, of course you'll have people who disagree. The RIGHT color of brown on the RIGHT color of chestnut can be beautiful.

Perhaps we're taking your comments way too seriously - I think when you mentioned "whispering" about people behind their backs it came off as "bratty high school" - rather than your follow up comments about discussing outfits you like and dislike - which I totally understand. ....Unless of course you are sticking your finger down your throat and making a gagging sound as they ride by. :)

I'd much rather my trainer be pointing out (well, not literally!) someone's lack of impulsion, rounded shoulders, etc. than their lack of taste in hunt coats.

GreystoneKC
Apr. 27, 2009, 03:17 PM
Rosie: I think you've got a better grasp on what I was really saying than most. Plus I agree with what you said about the "right" colour on the "right" horse being the truth. Thanks for listening even if you don't entirely agree. :)

Mont: I don't LOVE the brown coat you showed, but it's not what I was talking about and stands out on your chestnut. Plus, I don't mind the grey at all because it REALLY stands out from your chestnut. I still just prefer blues and greens on chestnut. My opinion.

2Bays: I know how to make sure the only people who hear me are the ones I intend to hear me. Hence why I used the word "whisper". It's not a matter of anything b****y but being quiet so it's a closed conversation.

HuntJump: I never said anything about rust. I happen to like it well enough and on some it looks great! I'd like a pair for schooling.

LetRide: I don't see your point? My blinged helmet? It had it's own thread and proved to be quite popular in it's own right. I also said before that I like to push the envelope myself, and even mentioned the purple jacket and blinged hat in my prior post. No big secret. I thought you were going to post a picture of me wearing my light brown jacket, lol. Or an old pic when I wore a grey jacket on my bay horse. http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2596786390053076870vGbZZX I loved that jacket with the aqua/purple shirt, but hated it on my horse and that may be one of the only times I wore it. See, I pick on myself as much as anyone else!

As for WWGMD, well, if you're blinded by my helmet, you have some impressive vision, since it's barely shining in those pics. It obviously didn't keep me from pinning at Devon. :)

theroanypony
Apr. 27, 2009, 03:30 PM
There are very few options to be unique or creative with attire. We have certain things we have to wear and can't wear anything else. If we all dressed in what, according to you, is matched, we'd all look the same! That takes away what little freedom we have for show clothes. I'm sorry if it makes me a mismatching horror, but I'm not limiting what I buy to what color my pony may be. He isn't, after all, an accessory. So I may wear my green shirt, dark gray jacket and ride my rabicano roan pony, but at least I don't look like anyone else in the ring.

When you make a post dissing what most people are wearing to shows, how did you expect people to respond? :confused:

supershorty628
Apr. 27, 2009, 03:37 PM
I guess I've been a mismatching horror as well...I wore a light grey jacket on a liver chestnut pony for a long time! I also wore it on my chestnut mare!

Photo evidence (I was caught in the act):
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1207915342054933411kSUYQd
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2793761730054933411OYqdqC

I now have a sky blue jacket.. oh, what am I to do?
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2561939400054933411fAvcBQ (actually, it looked great on this horse, but it has yet to be worn with Nikki, so we'll see what that looks like...)

WWGeorgeMorrisD
Apr. 27, 2009, 03:38 PM
That is you?

If you can win wearing the bedazzled helmet from h#ll, I think that proves the point that what you were does not matter and therefore its not worth gossiping about what other people have on.

There is no accounting for taste. For sure!

GreystoneKC
Apr. 27, 2009, 03:48 PM
Oh holy Lord, why do people go off on their own tangents and put words in my mouth....
You people keep coming up with me saying I don't like things I never even mentioned! Rust? Green? Sky blue?
I happen to love the Just World jackets and would love to not only wear the jacket, but to be more involved with the program enough to proudly deserve to wear it.

Bearhunter
Apr. 27, 2009, 03:53 PM
That is you?

If you can win wearing the bedazzled helmet from h#ll, I think that proves the point that what you were does not matter and therefore its not worth gossiping about what other people have on.

There is no accounting for taste. For sure!

:lol:

All I know is that my trainer is a fashion princess and I cannot even imagine her coming onto a public bulletin board to discuss how rotten brown looks with a bay or a grey. :confused:

Coreene
Apr. 27, 2009, 04:06 PM
Correen: Yes, because it is a horse show, and what you and your horse look like actually matter.Fashion advice from Bedazzler? Thanks for letting me know, in 30+ years of showing in hunters, eq and dressage it must just never have occured to me.

RugBug
Apr. 27, 2009, 04:29 PM
That is you?

If you can win wearing the bedazzled helmet from h#ll,

Wow...the helmet from hell? Really? It's pretty tasteful a far as blingy helmets are concerned... WAY more tasteful than any blingy stuff I've seen in dressage and eventer land. It's like a tennis bracelet for your head. (this coming from the hater of bling). :winkgrin: Seems like you're being nasty just to be nasty. :shrug:

Yes, the OP chose rather strong words for her original post, which is why I understand the harsh responses. But there is truth in her words: Maybe the truth hurts. Not all coats looks great on all colors of horses. Not all coat colors look great on all people (It's highly unlikely you will ever catch me in a dark brown coat...makes me look like death.)

To the people who don't notice...good for you. But some of us do notice and it doesn't make us evil or shallow or whatever. I'm not going to judge anyone for it, but I do notice. Just like when I notice a nice coat/shirt/horse combination.

theroanypony
Apr. 27, 2009, 04:32 PM
Oh holy Lord, why do people go off on their own tangents and put words in my mouth....
You people keep coming up with me saying I don't like things I never even mentioned! Rust? Green? Sky blue?
I happen to love the Just World jackets and would love to not only wear the jacket, but to be more involved with the program enough to proudly deserve to wear it.

When you make an entire thread pointing out how much you hate what people so commonly wear to horse shows, one can only assume you equally hate the unordinary. I guess we had it backwards?

arktos19
Apr. 27, 2009, 04:33 PM

Surely you've been around long enough to see that happen over and over and over on this board.... :cool:

kbbarn
Apr. 27, 2009, 04:35 PM
Most days I do not care one bit what anyone wears and as long as my underwear is covered and I am alive at the end of the day, it is a fashion win for me.

:yes: Same here. For Jumpers, I like my walmart polo. I must really have no fashion sense since I like to wear polos that are the colors of the barn I ride at, no so much worried about matching my chestnut.

Every time I get the inkling to go back to the hunter arena for fun and to show with my barn buddies, I see a post like this and change my mind. Jumpers only.

RugBug
Apr. 27, 2009, 04:46 PM
Every time I get the inkling to go back to the hunter arena for fun and to show with my barn buddies, I see a post like this and change my mind. Jumpers only.

Really? The opinion of one person is enough to keep you from doing something you might want to do?

I'd rather people were whispering about my clothes than my riding. :yes: :winkgrin: From my exposure to dressage, eventing, hunters, jumpers, etc...hunters don't have the monoploy on the "whisperers." :lol:

anchorsaway
Apr. 27, 2009, 05:04 PM
Personally, I like brown jackets on chestnuts. Especially the light brown tweed variety as well as dark brown. If brown looks bad on chestnuts, then why is brown tack the "in" thing?

I also adore grey coats on chestnuts(which may be because grey is my favorite color). I'm actually thinking about buying a jacket and am looking at slate/dark grey for my guy for possible local shows.

enjoytheride
Apr. 27, 2009, 05:10 PM
I thought blingy helmets were so last year, I shall point and laugh.

Equitate.
Apr. 27, 2009, 05:41 PM
I now have a sky blue jacket.. oh, what am I to do?
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2561939400054933411fAvcBQ (actually, it looked great on this horse, but it has yet to be worn with Nikki, so we'll see what that looks like...)

supershorty, I LOVE your jacket!

Wizard of Oz's
Apr. 27, 2009, 05:57 PM
I agree with OP to a point. I also hate when riders go in the ring and the outfit they chose is "in" but totally clashes with the horse. I personally don't like the brown at all, but that's probably just me:). Also, it's understandable that not all riders can afford to have multiple show outfits, but if that's the case, I would just do navy jacket and white shirt. IMO it's better to be boring and conventional then stick out for having a clashing outfit.

Go Fish
Apr. 27, 2009, 06:02 PM
I have noticed at the shows that the pros (both male and female) generally wear navy, black, or dark charcoal/gray. I'm assuming this is because they ride multiple horses during the course of the day, and need to wear something that looks good on everything they ride.

To the OP - you've posted (if I recall), some smashing outfits that you wear. You obviously have good fashion/color sense. I, on the other hand, have to throw myself on the mercy of the tack store professionals. I'm going on the premise that they know what they are doing. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...:D

supershorty628
Apr. 27, 2009, 06:36 PM
supershorty, I LOVE your jacket!

Thanks :). It's my JustWorld coat and my new love. I can't wait to start showing Nikki so I can wear it again!

Queen Latisha
Apr. 27, 2009, 06:44 PM
I wear what I want and don't give a rat's a$$, who likes it and who doesn't.
When I'm at a show, it's all about "me" and I rarely notice what other people are wearing.:cool:

LH
Apr. 27, 2009, 06:56 PM
OP has a couple of good points, but, really, take it easy. OP is a trainer, and should guide her young students and set a good example by wearing ring-appropriate show attire (I thinketh you blingeth too mucheth). Having said that, OP should also set a good example to those students by not making snarky comments about others in the ring. MYOB.

All of this reminds me of one of my favorite quotes, I believe from a Gabor sister, who said, "Dahling, if you don't have anything nice to say, then realllly, come sit next to me"

dainty do
Apr. 27, 2009, 07:32 PM
Help!!
I'm color blind (really). What color breeches would best match a chromed-out chestnut. I already have my coat--it is navy blue pinstriped.
Thanks!

diKecnadnuS
Apr. 27, 2009, 07:59 PM
I was pretty shocked to read your problems with the brown coat, peach shirt, TS breeches combo on a chestnut. I had a chestnut and a brown plaid coat (one was a greenish brown, but still brown, and the other a greyish brown). I can't tell you the number of compliments I got on the coats, especially the more brown one, when I wore them with either a peach or orange striped Essex shirt. I had some other coats and tons of shirt varieties, but that combo got SOOOOO MANY compliments, even from judges in the model classes! I'll try to find some photos. I had a faded purple/brown helmet when I started wearing the combo, but then had to switch to a GPA when approved helmets were required - both helmets I got compliments on.

chunky munky
Apr. 27, 2009, 08:28 PM
I have been a "R" for many years.We care much less about your clothing than about your performance. Stand up and ride. :-D

Chall
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:01 PM
Hail to Chunky Munkey ! Thank you!

enjoytheride
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:17 PM
The OP is indeed a pro and I hope she isn't teaching her young riders to snicker behind people's back about their clothing or that the judge cares if your coat coordinates with your pony.

danosaur
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:26 PM

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2905430340087480954fUgehP
:yes:

well, he's technically brown. but he matches everything :D

WWGeorgeMorrisD
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:12 PM
I am not trying to be mean, I am trying to be funny. I guess its not coming across.

On my screen, that looked like a black and pink helmet with 2 rows of crystals. Maybe I am just old fashioned but that is a lot more flash then I am used to seeing. I am not one of those hot pink and neon green cross country types. My cross country colors are slobber and dirt because my mare likes to wipe on me at bad times.

There is something about bright colors and sparkle that seems so -I am a glamor princess, beauty queen look at me- sometimes I see people all decked out in neon yellow and orange and want to ask - didn't mummy hug you enough when you were little. It just seems like a lot of attention getting and it surprised me that someone who sniggers at what other people wear for being funny color combinations would be wearing a pink crystal helmet

But then again, what do I know. Slobber and dirt.

Maya01
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:55 PM
Sounds to me like you have the problem, not the fashion offenders. Concentrate on yourself don't worry so much about the other riders. It's a horse show, not middle school.

That made me chuckle :lol: I have a dark grey jacket - looks phenomenal on my grey mare but looks great on any other colour as well and I have a WHITE shirt underneath. I don't mind brown jackets and the hats are pretty cute, but not my style...I think this board needs a rant section. I would imagine that it would get a lot of use :lol:

Heineken
Apr. 28, 2009, 07:49 AM
You're kidding, right? She cannot be a pro! Life just turned upside down - I thought that poster was a teenager! :eek:

Nope, pro. Seriously. An adult. And that is what frightens me...my trainers would never judge the colors we wear. Does it fit? Is it appropriate? Is it clean? THOSE are the things that matter...not what colors we wear.

GreystoneKC
Apr. 28, 2009, 08:53 AM
What I am shocked about is how many people I have seen on this board for a long time that I am losing respect for over some of the things you have said. You may not respect me for my opinions (about *fashion*, nonetheless, lol), or how I chose to express them, but you seem just as childish to me having a heart attack about it and essentially saying I must be a terrible trainer because I worry about which colours look good with which.

Sorry, I stand by my opinions that some things do not look good together, some colours do not look good on some horses, and that the overall impression you give off matters to a certain extent.

GoFish: there's definitely a reason for that. Oh, and thanks :)
LH: I'm not chatting to 12 year olds... I think I set a pretty good example for my students and their parents would agree. Plus, I know some people don't like bling. I do. I'm ok with that.
ETR: How do you make the rolls eyes icon? Oh well, just assume I put one right here.
WWGMD: It's all good. Oh, and the helmet is black with silver and the crystals are called "black diamond" and match the silver stripe. Yeah, even *I* would not rock a black/pink helmet at a show, lol.

The funny thing about this whole thread is that I finally see why people choose to use alters to post; why some people are actually "afraid" to post as themselves. Come out with one opinion that some doesn't like, one comment you didn't quite phrase correctly, one question that makes you look like an idiot... and the COTH police jump down your throat and accuse you of being X,Y,Z. In my case, I come online, bored on a Monday, and post what I think is a funny mini-rant based on something I said to my (adult) student at a show this weekend about fashion (as if NO ONE else ever talks about what they like or dislike in fashion on this board... enter rolls eyes thing here too) and I have people seriously questioning my ability to ride, teach, judge, and be a good role model for my students.

It's a good thing I don't need the approval of a message board to tell me that I'm doing things right.
(I should really learn how to make the eyes rolling icon)

findeight
Apr. 28, 2009, 08:59 AM
Greystone...for the rolly eyes icon and few other good ones-go over to the right side where the rest of them are and click on [MORE].:winkgrin:

As for the rest:sleepy:.

Hunter Mom
Apr. 28, 2009, 09:01 AM
When it all boils down, if you're going to wear something that is, uh, different than the norm, you'd better be able to put down a trip so good that is what people remember.

GreystoneKC
Apr. 28, 2009, 09:44 AM
F8: I don't have any on the right side. I only see them on the bottom where you can put them for the title. Like I'll put one for this post.

Ozone
Apr. 28, 2009, 10:05 AM
Pot meet kettle.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2128705900053076870Yxlnqt

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2141782290053076870vWMGVF

Very cute! I like it... but would never have the patients or steady hand to do it so nicely :)

findeight
Apr. 28, 2009, 10:11 AM
Greystone, up at the top, the blue stripe with white letters under the banner. Click "User CP"

Thats User Control Panel. On the left menu, go down to EDIT OPTIONS and click. That brings up a long and wordy menu in the middle with boxes you can check or leave blank depending on what you want. Scroll down past receiving PMs and all that to a box that lets you check for icons and other things...I think that ought to do it. I will go look again at mine to be sure.

YUP, that's it alright. i hope. PM the mods if that does not work.

Spud&Saf
Apr. 28, 2009, 01:20 PM
I'm going to go on the record and state that I LOVE grey coats on chestnuts.

I think navy on a chestnut draws the eye toward the rider's torso, not what I want for a hunter...unless it's an awful jumper. :winkgrin: Of course, navy is lovely for an eq class with a crisp white shirt under it for any colour horse- but then again, it is about the rider.

But that's just me, to each his own...:yes:

Pirateer
Apr. 28, 2009, 02:45 PM
I thought Green-Beige matched everything?

Clinton and Stacy would call it a neutral. Neutral goes with everything.

Equus_girl
Apr. 28, 2009, 03:35 PM
I am the queen of mismatching...
Grey on grey with... drum roll... yellow!
To add to fashion insult - brown bridle and orange saddle :)

http://public.fotki.com/Equusanya/2007/our-first-show-tide/img0015.html
http://public.fotki.com/Equusanya/2007/our-first-show-tide/img0096.html

bascher
Apr. 28, 2009, 04:04 PM

Haha I love it!

CFiona
Apr. 28, 2009, 04:14 PM

Touché!!

enjoytheride
Apr. 28, 2009, 05:30 PM
The issue greystone, is that you are making snide comments to other people. As a pro you can find yourself missing opportunities not because those people have no fashion sense, but because they will not give their money to a professional who comments to other people about someone's coat not matching their horse.

It is not your job as a trainer to make fun of people who can seem to make fashion sense. It's your job as a trainer to keep your mouth shut, train your students, and set the example for them by teaching them how to dress right (adult or child) and not pointing out other rider's flaws.

chukkerchild
Apr. 28, 2009, 06:13 PM
I thought the OP was just jokin around. One day I hope that I'm good enough so that people can criticize my coat choice... right now it's all "you have no contact" "your heels are weak" "What a poor release" "That wasn't a distance!" "Did you just have four rails?"... :lol:

Silk
Apr. 28, 2009, 06:34 PM
I must suck becasue one of my kids was champion in her division of 21 kids this weekend wearing OLIVE green on a GREY pony. Now...even worse, he won an OPEN hunter class (as the only pony in the division) with a rider wearing grey....and..oh my God....synthetic tall boots!! Not only that, the rider (me) had on a SLEEVELESS, WHITE shirt and NO CHOKER (forgot to get it on after racing said pony to the hunter ring after kid finished up her classic class).

We suck, huh? Imagine what might have happened if we had actually dressed correcty?

To be honest, our turnout was impeccabe and would have, and has, been more than appropriate for any level show.

I actually worked for a trainer that had this same issue with clothing as the OP...she had the biggest turnover I have ever seen in a barn. She nitpicked and micromanaged her riders to the point she drove them crazy. Nothing was correct unless she chose it.

Hmmm...even though I hated it, another of mine wore one of those damn show bows (hates her hair up, even though I beg her and the mother) and was champion in two divisions that day.

I'd say in the end, fashion really doesn't dictate the winner. anyone remember when Maggie Jayne went wild and wore a ponytail out the back of her helmet during the medal finals (Medal, I think, but could have been the Maclay)

dogchushu
Apr. 28, 2009, 08:22 PM
Greystoke, I understand that your post was intended to be lighthearted. However, you must admit that a lot of your pet peeves are nothing more than personal taste.

Personally, I like the look of brown coats with peach shirts and beige breeches on a chesnut, especially in the fall. It's so warm and autumnal looking! I hate green beige breeches with anything but a navy coat. But it's just my personal preference, and I know I'm far from a fashionista! :lol: Comments behind someone's back? My friends have told me to my face when some of my attire choices have been, well, let's just say "questionable!" :winkgrin:

So long as it's neat, clean, fits, and is close to the hunter "uniform," the rest is personal preference. I, for one, am glad we have a bit of variety in how we can dress for a show. It makes it fun.

twobays
Apr. 28, 2009, 08:34 PM
I'd say in the end, fashion really doesn't dictate the winner. anyone remember when Maggie Jayne went wild and wore a ponytail out the back of her helmet during the medal finals (Medal, I think, but could have been the Maclay)

I remember PH even did a little blurb on turnout and used Maggie (ponytail with ribbon and all!) as the model.

Kristen
Apr. 28, 2009, 08:48 PM
I don't post here much, but Greystone, I think it's fine to have your own opinions. Everyone is entitled to that. Personally I don't like brown jackets, green, or black. I LOVE medium blue and dark gray jackets (especially with a pretty colored lining). I am not bothered when people want to discuss fashion. What does bother me a bit is that you are a trainer, and therefore a role model, and yet you come off as a spoiled middle school girl. Nothing wrong with having strong opinions, but if you're a professional, it would be best to act...professionally. JMHO, of course. :)

mercedespony
Apr. 28, 2009, 11:02 PM
I don't post here much, but Greystone, I think it's fine to have your own opinions. Everyone is entitled to that. Personally I don't like brown jackets, green, or black. I LOVE medium blue and dark gray jackets (especially with a pretty colored lining). I am not bothered when people want to discuss fashion. What does bother me a bit is that you are a trainer, and therefore a role model, and yet you come off as a spoiled middle school girl. Nothing wrong with having strong opinions, but if you're a professional, it would be best to act...professionally. JMHO, of course. :)

Professional would be the key, wouldn't it?

But I had to laugh over the pot meet kettle post.

sisu27
Apr. 29, 2009, 11:59 AM
I am not trying to be mean, I am trying to be funny. I guess its not coming across.

On my screen, that looked like a black and pink helmet with 2 rows of crystals. Maybe I am just old fashioned but that is a lot more flash then I am used to seeing. I am not one of those hot pink and neon green cross country types. My cross country colors are slobber and dirt because my mare likes to wipe on me at bad times.

There is something about bright colors and sparkle that seems so -I am a glamor princess, beauty queen look at me- sometimes I see people all decked out in neon yellow and orange and want to ask - didn't mummy hug you enough when you were little. It just seems like a lot of attention getting and it surprised me that someone who sniggers at what other people wear for being funny color combinations would be wearing a pink crystal helmet

But then again, what do I know. Slobber and dirt.

WWGMD I think you are funny and I agree as well.

OP??? To read that diatribe and then get the pleasure of seeing a pic of you...with that helmet...priceless. Thanks.

Good gawd I DO NOT miss hunter land, thanks for reminding me.

Also..I bet highschool wasn't fun so is this you getting your revange and restoring the balance??? If so? Pathetic. I wouldn't want my kid around a trainer like you.

FancyFree
Apr. 29, 2009, 12:56 PM
OP??? To read that diatribe and then get the pleasure of seeing a pic of you...with that helmet...priceless. Thanks.

Ditto! She even had blinged out gloves. Not a bling lover here. :lol:

I guess it just goes to show OP, to each their own. You know? Not everyone is going to like what you wear either. Lose the judgey pants, especially being a pro. It's tacky.

GettingBack
Apr. 29, 2009, 01:20 PM
Several years ago I showed a chestnut mare in a navy jacket (with mustard/rust threads(what are those called?)), a mustard show shirt, and rust breeches. Were there some snickers ringside? Sure.

Had to laugh when we won the class.

I use it as motivation. My outfit did match, was conservative, and very attractive. Do I want some of the 80s back? You betcha - they were good riding years for me.

The loudest naysayer? A very large woman, dressed "fashionably" but slovenly, blinged to the max, who subsequently came off her fancypants horse several times.

Yea, ok. At least my pants were *supposed* to be rust - hers weren't.

This kind of crap is what perpetuates the myth that people have about the hunters. I'm all for wanting the latest jacket, loving to coordinate show outfits. As the reigning queen of owning "too much horse stuff" and a total addict, I get it.

What I don't get is a "pro" openly admitting that she whispers ringside about people's outfits. Not a smart business move. And I certainly wouldn't send my horse to someone who gives a rats patootie about anything but my cleanliness and appropriateness for the ring.

Heineken
Apr. 29, 2009, 01:37 PM
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2967409410053076870onkAJe?vhost=good-times

Good thing the OP wears the "right" thing all the time...gives the judge something else to focus on...

Alternative Ego
Apr. 29, 2009, 01:37 PM
Well said, GettingBack! You & I seem to be cut from the same cloth! ;)

GettingBack
Apr. 29, 2009, 01:45 PM
Alternative Ego :) Only if it's not Brown with Yellow in it ;-) *grin*

`reppy
Apr. 29, 2009, 01:47 PM
Oh come on Heineken, that picture was taken to early. You cant judge a jump fairly off a bad picture.

I do agree with everyone else though Greystone. Prehaps you should keep your comments to yourself and worry about your students. I know if I was a potential client who was thinking about maybe coming to train with you and heard you make comments like you said, I would no longer be interested in training with you.

rugbygirl
Apr. 29, 2009, 01:57 PM
I love putting together show outfits...but since I love bling and colour, I usually let the tack store do it for me.

I have dove-grey breeches now (tight, fitted like a GLOVE) and a darker grey coat with a very faint pale blue stripe. LOVE IT. Loads of nice comments on how it looks with the black/white clydesdale. Usually my turnout is the only thing people CAN comment nicely on...:lol:

I can't believe the OP said grey on bays is no good! My darker bay looks so nice with my grey outfit! We actually almost look like we know what we're doing!

--

Don't listen to me though, I just ordered purple glitter bell boots for schooling. Wait. Maybe the OP likes that?

tbhuntergirl
Apr. 29, 2009, 03:30 PM
Wear what makes you happy, even if you look like a fool :lol:

I generally tend not to notice what other people are wearing unless their attire looks either really good or really bad.

The Big Bay Mare
Apr. 29, 2009, 06:08 PM
Maybe it's my art background, who knows, but I'm sorry, some colours just do NOT look good together to me...

Your art background? Seriously? Someone with an "art background" would have an ability to see beyond complimentary colors from the color wheel and pick out color choices that are not so obvious. Gray looks good with chestnut because gray is a neutral color, which goes well with a warm color like red because of the subtle balance they provide. Brown looks good with chestnut because brown is a warm neutral, therefore going well with the warm red. Who said matching with your horse is such a wrong thing? It presents the horse and rider team as just that much -- a team. You said yourself that someone should not wear something loud with a paint -- therefore implying that they should do the opposite of compete with the color, and blend.

And since you're such a self-proclaimed artist, ever heard of the Fauvism movement? They were rejected by the Paris salons in the 1800's because they dared with the juxtaposition with color and chose to pair colors together that were not an obvious, safe choice.. and hence created a movement.

I think I'll continue to wear my BLUE shirt with my GRAY jacket on my CHESTNUT gelding. Because when I look at myself in the mirror, I get confidence from my clothes, and crank out good rounds.

And at the end of the day, isn't that what we go to shows for, anyways?

rugbygirl
Apr. 29, 2009, 06:41 PM
Ok, artsy people, tell me if these things clash. I really like them together.

Grey with pale pink or fuschia
Pale yellow with red
Grey with red (especially medium greys and charcoal)

The Big Bay Mare
Apr. 29, 2009, 06:45 PM

Pale yellow with red

Grey with pale pink or fuschia: Works, because grey is a neutral and pale pink and fuschia are not and need a neutral for balance.
Pale yellow with red: May not work because both are warm colors, but if the red is a dark maroon or burgandy it could look nice. Just stay away from equal tones of each color so you don't look like McDonalds!
Grey with red: Works! Neutrals look nice with any color. :)

Pirateer
Apr. 30, 2009, 01:06 AM
Perhaps someone needs to spend less time worrying about fashion and more time worrying about their equitation- even on a hunter. Perhaps a trip to the gym too, eh?

And also, how can one claim to be the fashion police if they let their clients show at Devon in front-zips? C'mon.

SmileItLooksGoodOnYou
Apr. 30, 2009, 02:21 AM
I have a medium grey jacket with a golden pinstripe and a yellow-gold lining. I wear a yellow shirt with it. And it looks darn good.

Transplant
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:26 AM

Pale yellow with red

Keep in mind that I know nothing about 'correct' hunter fashion but from an artistic level, it depends on the undertones of the colors. Grey can have a blue, green or warm undertone (charcoal grey usually has a strong blue undertone). Pinks can be either blush (bluish) or coral and orangy. Reds can go from blood-red (lots of blue undertone) to firecracker red (more orangy). To keep the colors from clashing, you want to wear colors with the same undertone - especially neutrals because the undertones are often not apparent until you put them with a color with a clashing undertone. Blue grays with the fuschia, but a green or brownish gray with a peachy pale pink. A deep charcoal grey will look fantastic with a blood red (think checkerboard)

Also from an artistic point of view, you only want one eyecatching color to make a coordinated overall picture. That yellow with red is going to have to be very pale and almost neutral to blend in nicely with even a dull red. The other challenge is once you've chosen your eyecatching color, is making sure the neutral isn't totally washed out by it. I like darker neutrals with brighter colors because the darkness can make the neutral look more like it belongs in the whole picture.

A lot is personal taste and like I said I know nothing about hunter fashion but in general, colors with similar undertones, one eyecatching color and neutrals that can stand up to being on the same stage as your eyecatcher are good places to start.

magnolia73
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:47 AM
To the OP, if it bothers you, why don't you go up to the person and say "Boy, your horse is lovely, a navy jacket and beige breeches with a blue shirt would look stunning!". Like be useful instead of snarky, but in a nice way.....

HuntJumpSC
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:48 AM
Well, my rust Tailoreds came in yesterday and I couldn't be more happy! For $30, brand new, and they fit perfect, you just can't beat it with a stick....and...I think they look quite nice with my grey windowpane Grand Prix. :) Long as I'm happy with it, that's all that should matter, right?

LetsRide
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:00 AM
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2967409410053076870onkAJe?vhost=good-times

Good thing the OP wears the "right" thing all the time...gives the judge something else to focus on...

Check out the belt and the trim on the breech pockets worn with a SHADBELLY.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2507230090053076870JMRhdw

This gives rise to a new term 'tackasstic' (tacky/classic).

mvp
Apr. 30, 2009, 11:14 AM
Well, panties all in a wad. And apparently same for y'all since this thread has gone on for six, count 'em, six pages?

Skewer me if you like, but we are talking about angels on the head of a pin, so here's my two cents:

Love the funky but small bit of unorthodoxy with the shad.

One show, where many people asked me if my DWB was a QH (no the brand on his ass is the rearing lion in a shield), I busted out my phat tooled western belt and the silver platter of a buckle. You want QH, or to look down your nose because western has no place in the english world? Then fine, get smoked by the woman who mounted by standing on the bucket of a tractor, and loped around the course on the ranchbroke warmblood. And be sure that the infusion of all good things western contributed to that nice picture.

I don't believe in dressing to make a point, but I suppose that snark begets snark, and I try not to do that out loud! I'm sure no one gave a rat's ass about by sartorial statement.

Dooner
Apr. 30, 2009, 12:59 PM
Keep in mind that I know nothing about 'correct' hunter fashion but from an artistic level, it depends on the undertones of the colors. Grey can have a blue, green or warm undertone (charcoal grey usually has a strong blue undertone). Pinks can be either blush (bluish) or coral and orangy. Reds can go from blood-red (lots of blue undertone) to firecracker red (more orangy). To keep the colors from clashing, you want to wear colors with the same undertone - especially neutrals because the undertones are often not apparent until you put them with a color with a clashing undertone. Blue grays with the fuschia, but a green or brownish gray with a peachy pale pink. A deep charcoal grey will look fantastic with a blood red (think checkerboard)

Also from an artistic point of view, you only want one eyecatching color to make a coordinated overall picture. That yellow with red is going to have to be very pale and almost neutral to blend in nicely with even a dull red. The other challenge is once you've chosen your eyecatching color, is making sure the neutral isn't totally washed out by it. I like darker neutrals with brighter colors because the darkness can make the neutral look more like it belongs in the whole picture.

A lot is personal taste and like I said I know nothing about hunter fashion but in general, colors with similar undertones, one eyecatching color and neutrals that can stand up to being on the same stage as your eyecatcher are good places to start.

Very helpful.

Of course--the moral of COTH fashion threads always seems to be that, no matter what you wear, someone can find something to snark about. Unless I'm getting personae confused, the OP has posted some pictures that would have led me to look twice at a show.

Long Spot
Apr. 30, 2009, 03:17 PM
Perhaps someone needs to spend less time worrying about fashion and more time worrying about their equitation- even on a hunter. Perhaps a trip to the gym too, eh?

And also, how can one claim to be the fashion police if they let their clients show at Devon in front-zips? C'mon.

After thumbing through the album, I was thinking the exact same thing.

LowRider360
Apr. 30, 2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah Pirateer, maybe she can learn some lessons from you, seeing that you have perfect equitation...

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1279764559046047929nQskSP

xeroxchick
Apr. 30, 2009, 03:41 PM
Your art background? Seriously? Someone with an "art background" would have an ability to see beyond complimentary colors from the color wheel and pick out color choices that are not so obvious. Gray looks good with chestnut because gray is a neutral color, which goes well with a warm color like red because of the subtle balance they provide. Brown looks good with chestnut because brown is a warm neutral, therefore going well with the warm red. Who said matching with your horse is such a wrong thing? It presents the horse and rider team as just that much -- a team. You said yourself that someone should not wear something loud with a paint -- therefore implying that they should do the opposite of compete with the color, and blend.

And since you're such a self-proclaimed artist, ever heard of the Fauvism movement? They were rejected by the Paris salons in the 1800's because they dared with the juxtaposition with color and chose to pair colors together that were not an obvious, safe choice.. and hence created a movement.

I think I'll continue to wear my BLUE shirt with my GRAY jacket on my CHESTNUT gelding. Because when I look at myself in the mirror, I get confidence from my clothes, and crank out good rounds.

And at the end of the day, isn't that what we go to shows for, anyways?

Fauvism? Huh? (10 cent degree) If you want to be a Fauvist rider go for Edurance riding - loud color.

xabbracadabra
Apr. 30, 2009, 04:02 PM
Yeah Pirateer, maybe she can learn some lessons from you, seeing that you have perfect equitation...

With that long distance she did a good job staying with the horse. Its not a bad pic when you take that into account. It is easier to ride a chip then a long espically if the horse is juming though your hand

fair judy
Apr. 30, 2009, 04:02 PM
i remember the gorgeous brown plaid jacket jane womble wore on sign the card. and george in the black watch plaid jacket, pink shirt, blue polka dot bow tie, rust breeches/drop front, and fabulously done newmarket boots. not to forget the 1950 aviator ray bans.

classic is about class, not fashion.

Pirateer
Apr. 30, 2009, 05:00 PM

Um...my webshots album hasn't been updated in approximately 900 years. So probably you haven't seen my perfect equitation, but my pre-Eq Nazi trainers equitation. And there is a difference.

Long Spot
Apr. 30, 2009, 05:20 PM

At least she's looking in the direction she's going. Just sayin.

Parker_Rider
Apr. 30, 2009, 05:37 PM
Wow. I could just feel the collective COTH wedgie creeping further and further towards the sky reading this thread. :rolleyes:

To all those who say they don't judge others' outfits at shows... (oh how I wish I had a pic of this)... I Guaran-freakin'-tee you would have been snickering ringside at me 6 years ago. HOT pink polo. HOT pink bells. HOT pink earbonnet. I do believe it was either John McConnell or Paul Rohrbach who looked at me, jaw on the floor and told me that he hoped I was planning on winning the class (in a funny, teasing type of way, not snarky/mean.. haha can you imagine John or Paul being mean?!). FWIW, I did win the class!! I saw a girl in Tryon last year who did the same exact thing (in pink, red, white, etc depending on the day) and I looked at my trainer bug-eyed, WTH was she thinking, holy crap!

We all make bad decisions and we all will judge a particularly heinous outfit.

There are people on this board who will lose weight for the aesthetic value of the picture. Yes, your tastes might differ, but overall, make sure your outfit makes the aesthetics pretty too!! (and there are people, myself once included, who DO get dressed in the dark.) Just because I look at my trainer when a particularly... "interesting" outfit goes by doesn't make her unprofessional.

I guess I'm lumping myself in with Greystone... I'm going to admit that there are those times when I will judge (like the lady when I was super young who would ride in a yellow shirt with chile peppers on it. :eek:).
(I just have to keep in mind that at one point I was a.. well.. *different* teenager... and that I learned from those mistakes!! :lol: :lol: :lol:)

and Supershorty (whoops! sorry!), I ADORE that JustWorld blue jacket... Oh it's so pretty!!!!!

supershorty628
Apr. 30, 2009, 05:41 PM
and Superpony, I ADORE that JustWorld blue jacket... Oh it's so pretty!!!!!

Thank you! I can't wait to see how it looks with my horse - she's a very bright chestnut, so it will either look smashing or horrible, hahaha. I also love what it stands for, so it's very special to me.

bascher
Apr. 30, 2009, 06:31 PM
Thank you! I can't wait to see how it looks with my horse - she's a very bright chestnut, so it will either look smashing or horrible, hahaha. I also love what it stands for, so it's very special to me.

My friend is part of the JustWorld cause and her bright blue jacket looks awesome with her chestnut, so I wouldn't worry about it!

Parker_Rider
Apr. 30, 2009, 07:03 PM

Well, then it will look amazing with any horse you wear it on ;)

nlk
Apr. 30, 2009, 07:12 PM
I am in total shock, not so much at Greystone, who used this forum simply for venting purposes, but at everyone else saying that they have never heard a trainer tell their clients what to wear! Or that you don't hear trainers make snarky comments.

I think you should all come visit me on our circuits here!

I think that our circuits are just to small (figuratively, everyone in the state shows on the same circuits).

Not only do trainers not allow certain colors in the barn (which I recall several threads here about) but insist their students are in the latest fashion. I remember two years ago when everyone was wearing the taupe jacket with teal pinstripe and teal shirts, I thought it looked hideous but hey what every they want to do.

I was actually in a warm up ring (AM warm up before the show even started) where another trainer openly criticized me to my face because some of my students used their schooling pads (pinks,orange, purple etc) Her claim was that horses were classy and deserved to look classy all the time. I laughed because my main concern is that my kids have fun, if that means using bright colors in the AM warm-up, fine...it's not like the judges see it. I also let them use sleezy's if they want...seriously the judge doesn't walk through the barn and say "gasp, that pony has a sleezy it must not win tomorrow!"

I also have heard most trainers openly criticize other trainers/riders/horses at the ring loudly not even in a whisper.

This is the majority here not the minority. I don't because I tend not to burn bridges.

What the OP is stating was an opinion, and only half serious at that. If you have never heard or had a trainer who was very strict on what their riders wear consider your self lucky...my students always did...as long as you're clean and presentable for the show I am happy

ApplesLilJumper1
Apr. 30, 2009, 07:32 PM
so how do i look at this schooling hunter show, im wearing a blue(i think) jacket with purple pinstripes, purple shirt w/no choker cuz we couldnt find it, my horse has a purple brow band, normally we show in Jumpers but this is what i wear in hunters, what does everyone think.

http://thumb3.webshots.net/t/73/173/7/25/4/2081725040105105743nmJwRt_th.jpg (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2081725040105105743nmJwRt)

GettingBack
May. 1, 2009, 09:07 AM
It's not that we're shocked at her statement, so much as dismayed at it, and at the glee with which she stated that she was mean and snarky.

Face it, everyone has moments when they are mean and snarky, but if you're smart (and a professional) you keep it to yourself or amongst only your close friends.

If there are trainers in your area who talk like that, shame on them. I wouldn't ride with them either. I don't mind a trainer insisting on certain colors if that was the way the barn worked (for instance, all students showing wear a uniform of navy jackets, x color shirt and beige breeches), but for a trainer to criticize (seriously, not jokingly) my fashion sense? Not gonna happen.

Hunters *is* about the picture - but it's not about the color of the picture.

I will say that if you are going to wear something that stands out, be prepared to be seen by the judge - but this isn't a bad thing if you're a good rider.

HuntJumpSC
May. 1, 2009, 11:20 AM
I guess it's the downright meanspiritedness that gets me. Sure, we're all guilty of being snarky at some point (I still cringe at showbows & rubber boots, but that's just me) Just because someone deems themselves the head of the fashionpolice and that they are an expert on color coordination doesn't make them the be-all, do-all of the horse world.

I love blinged belts, colorful boot socks, rust breeches, bright shirts and my blinged out GPA that matches my beaded browband. It's what I like- granted, it may not be conservative to others, but I'm in there to have fun and be judged on my round, not the color of my shirt.

RugBug
May. 1, 2009, 11:34 AM
Sure, we're all guilty of being snarky at some point

True...as evidenced by some of the truly nasty (an uncalled for) comments on this thread about the OP needing to get into the gym, her riding ability, etc.

The OP's rant was worded too strongly...but IMO, the worse offense is the nastiness of some of the responses. Some of them truly shocked me. :no:

Moesha
May. 1, 2009, 11:57 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__B9vczVkWpo/Sd7TXpljyoI/AAAAAAAAD6U/Sj0piN9yYsc/s400/amy-winehouse-horse.jpg

Sansena
May. 1, 2009, 12:08 PM
It's not that we're shocked at her statement, so much as dismayed at it, and at the glee with which she stated that she was mean and snarky.

Face it, everyone has moments when they are mean and snarky, but if you're smart (and a professional) you keep it to yourself or amongst only your close friends.

...<snip>....

And if you're really smart you keep the link of photos of yourself wearing questionable accoutrements out of the public eye. OP is a snob, and clearly impressed with herself.

Her comments here, I'm sure, have left others considerably less impressed.

Now, when someone labels themselves 'The Fashion Police', they had darn well be above reproach. So the comments about needing the gym and the craptastic shadbelly/ belt combo are fair game. Matter of fact, by posting, OP invited them.

Carry on.

vxf111
May. 1, 2009, 12:13 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__B9vczVkWpo/Sd7TXpljyoI/AAAAAAAAD6U/Sj0piN9yYsc/s400/amy-winehouse-horse.jpg

What? Is? Happening? Here?!

Pirateer
May. 1, 2009, 12:22 PM
What? Is? Happening? Here?!

Almost as good as the picture of Madonna all in purple I saw in the last issue of some trash newstand magazine...

RugBug
May. 1, 2009, 12:34 PM
So the comments about needing the gym and the craptastic shadbelly/ belt combo are fair game. Matter of fact, by posting, OP invited them.

:eek: Wow...I guess my mother taught me a little better than that. You know...don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all? Try to see where the other person is coming from? Turn the other cheek?

The internet certainly has changed things. The OP wouldn't have been able to so thoroughly put her foot in her mouth and the Nasties wouldn't have an anonymous place to let loose their ugliness.

Fact is that not all colors look good together. A horse is a color. Therefore, his color might not look good with the color of your clothing. It's fact...not opinion. Your opinion may be that you don't give a damn and are going to where whatever the hell you want...but it's still fact that it might look hideous.

Fact is that some people are better than others at putting colors/patterns together.

Fact is that everyone one of us has had a fashion flub at some point or another.

Fact is that green-beige is not a neutral in any world other than the horse world. And it DOES NOT go with everything...Stacy and Clinton be damned. :winkgrin:

RugBug
May. 1, 2009, 12:37 PM

Think the horse is making a fashion statement with his browband? It's the equine equivalent of the slouchy, half on, half-off, show-your-boxers style of pants wearing the young'uns do these days. I'm sure the older horses are aghasted. :lol:

horsegirl888
May. 1, 2009, 04:48 PM
Actually, I am a sophomore in a public high school and nobody discusses everyone else's clothing nearly this much. We don't even negatively comment about anybody's outfit unless it's so inappropriate it's asking for one.

To the OP: I'm not sure I understand the point of going into a detailed rant about people's show outfit color choices on an internet bulletin board, because everyone has different opinions and what looks good to you may not look good to someone else.

For example: I don't own a navy coat, and I am currently riding three different chestnuts and planning on showing at least one of them. I don't like any sort of bling. I actually look pretty good in yellow.

You ended your post, which was based entirely on opinion, with a factual statement about being clean and well fitted, which I understand is the only thing the judges look for in your clothing.

You are absolutely one hundred percent entitled to your opinion, but there is no need to present it in such a way that makes it seem like nobody has the right to disagree with you. Which, to me, is the way that it came across, but I'm fairly sure you didn't mean it that way.

Good luck and happy showing,
Horsegirl

HuntJumpSC
May. 1, 2009, 04:56 PM
Horsegirl888~ You're a sophomore in high school? That's one of the most mature and intelligent responses I've read on this thread. :yes:

CFiona
May. 1, 2009, 05:03 PM
Horsegirl888~ You're a sophomore in high school? That's one of the most mature and intelligent responses I've read on this thread. :yes:

DITTO! I was just thinking that. :D

horsegirl888
May. 1, 2009, 05:24 PM
Well thank you so much! Yes, I'm a sophomore. :)

GreystoneKC
May. 1, 2009, 11:42 PM
You know, I was really trying to stay away from this thread and not respond simply because I think most of you are being ridiculous, but now you ticked me off...

First of all, you who know who you are, are some of the biggest hypocrites I have ever seen. You whine about ME "whispering about people behind their backs" and yet you sit here on a public forum and criticize a 14 year old student of mine, who did NOT in any way ask for your opinion, for wearing front zips at Devon??? GROW UP! And while you're at it, leave my students alone. You want to pick on me, you go right ahead, but you leave my kids out of it. And for the record, she was wearing those pants because she got boot polish all over her show pants and had to wear her schooling pants that she had with her - and whopptie-hoo-da you can barely even see the zipper with her jacket on - and I'm SURE that's what the judges were looking at when she rode in the hack.

This thread has continued up to 7 PAGES, not because I continue to rant about my issues with light brown and chestnut, but because the lot of you keep trying to find any petty way you can to insult ME. That just seems ironic to me. Who is the Kettle now? Here's a big secret I'll let you guys in on.... I like bling. Ooooooooooooh...... I bet that was hard to infer from my pics, it really took rocket science to point that one out. ::rolls eyes:: (cause I still can't figure out those icons F8!) And do we think that I give a rat's patootie if you like my bling? dingdingding NOPE! :) Considering the number of people who like my helmet ( http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=191366&highlight=bling+GR8 ), the sheer number of people riding in my gloves at the last 3 shows (I believe 4-5 at each show min.), and the fact that I've never had more compliments on any part of my attire than that belt - which I've probably had for something like 8 years or so now - I really do think I'll stick with my bling whether the COTH lynch mob likes it or not.

As for the leopard breeches at Devon... We got a good chuckle out of that one ourselves. I'll tell the story for the ones who will laugh along, not as a excuse for the rest of you. Considering I'd lost weight and my good pants didn't fit anymore and I needed new ones, I figured I'd go with a pair that I could use for schooling and showing and I just thought they were adorable. I figured the jacket would cover the leopard and no one would ever notice the pockets so it was perfect. Plus I am poor and the TS schoolies fit me perfect! And then the second day I realized... "yeah... shadbelly........ oops.". Eh, well, we got a good giggle out of it and figured if anyone was going to pull off leopard stripes hanging out from under a shadbelly, it would be me, so why bother worrying about it? And guess what... we were 7th of 30-some in that stake class, so I'm pretty sure the judges didn't notice or care.

Which also brings me around to this... http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2967409410053076870onkAJe If you're going to make fun of one of my customer's horses, why don't you at least pick a picture in which he is not already being noted as not being at the height of his jump yet. You just made yourself look silly and petty there - but then again, that doesn't seem to be a stretch. He didn't exactly end up looking too bad there: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2769559010053076870XGkZcN (prof. photo of the jump) and he sure as heck didn't look bad here: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2566564630053076870LOkZpI. For a 7 year old OTTB's first time at Devon and first show at 3'3", we were very pleased with him.

Now, as for my equitation... say whatever you like. As a junior I won plenty of big eq classes (on my back cracking Junior Hunter, nonetheless) and I can ride essentially however I like, whenever I like. Jumping my medium pony XC at BN, you better believe my upper body is going to be better more consistently. Jumping our young hunter around the Suitables, not so much. Do I win at both? Yes. We can start another senseless diatribe about ducking in the hunters, but why bother? What wins is what wins, and to keep it simple, I win.

Finally, Pirateer, I will directly address you and the quote that maybe I should hit the gym. People like you are the reason that there are anorexics in the world. Not everyone needs to be a stick figure. I am 5'6" and as of Devon last year, I weighed approx. 135lbs., a whopping 5lbs. off of my ideal weight of 130lbs. (cited by my doctors). I currently weigh about 140lbs. and have started to work on getting back to my ideal weight by eating better. I do not go to the gym, because I don't have enough extra time or money for that luxury. I ride. I teach. I manage my farm. I wear a size 30 or 32 in TS and a 5-6 or 7-8 in jeans depending on brand. I wear a jacket size of 12 tall slim in GP - I could wear a 10 T R if it weren't for my massive shoulders. Thankfully, I haven't felt pressure to be a stick figure since I was in grade school. I have done well at shows even without being 5'9" and all legs. People like you saying people like me "should hit the gym" are the reasons why there are girls puking behind the portapots at shows. I worked hard to get from 159lbs. down to 130lbs. a few years back and after a horrible breakup, starved myself to 119lbs. After seeing what that did to my body I am perfectly happy where I am right now and very glad that hearing some sad little girl make a snide, off-handed remark about my weight doesn't make me want to go stick my finger down my throat. Maybe you should think before you speak next time.

I may have stuck my foot in my mouth with a bad approach to a topic, but you took the cake with this one.

(I'd still like to discuss some fashion with those of you who seem to be reasonably interested, but I need to crash since I have shows both days this weekend, so I'll catch up when I can)

GreystoneKC
May. 1, 2009, 11:43 PM

BTW, I second that. :)