PDA

View Full Version : How To Get A Horse To Square Up Over Fences?

Individualblue07
Apr. 26, 2009, 09:57 PM
How/what exercise can you suggest in order to help a horse square up in front over fences?

This is us from this past weekend, and I really would like to work on getting him looking fancier o/f. Feel free to critique me, but I already figured out what I really need to work on. :winkgrin: (but I'm never one to turn down free advice~ :D)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=2454033&id=744436741&ref=mf

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=2453933&id=744436741

LD1129
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:12 AM
gymnastics grids may help. I would check with a trainer and try it out.

badawg
Apr. 27, 2009, 11:28 AM
Wide square oxers incorporated into grids.

JB
Apr. 27, 2009, 11:34 AM
Tall skinny xrails. The high sides force him to even things up or risk knocking a foot.

mrsbradbury
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:15 PM
Can you link to photos that those of us without a Facebook account can see?:cry:

2bayboys
Apr. 27, 2009, 04:34 PM
Do a gymnastic with the out jump as a swedish oxer. Adjust the high side of the front rail of the oxer to whichever leg your horse needs to have sharpened up. For instance, if it's the right knee that lags behind the left, the front rail of the swedish oxer should be slanted so that the right side of the rail is higher than the left, and the back rail should be the opposite.

Make the distance easy for your horse, with a good ground line, and start with the heights low, and gradually build up and out.

RugBug
Apr. 27, 2009, 04:52 PM
Bigger jumps? You're horse doesn't look like he's even trying. Many horses won't try until the jumps get bigger and then you see their true form. I suppose you could try to sharpen him up some.

I'm going to combine a couple:

Tall, wide crossrail oxers. If you've got 5' standards,the cups should be on the last hole. This make the center about 2'6", but you and your horse have to jump straight and round to not hit anything.

Perfect Pony
Apr. 27, 2009, 05:26 PM
Bigger jumps?

I agree.

Wizard of Oz's
Apr. 27, 2009, 05:35 PM
I agree that some horses won't snap with their knees if the jumps are low, and they don't really have to use themselves.

I also think that adjusting your position can help some. When you jump ahead of your horse, you put him off balance and it makes it harder for him to keep his legs even over a fence. I used to jump ahead, not a lot, but enough to effect my horse's balance, and when I corrected that, my horse's front end was much better. If you let your horse jump up to you instead of trying to jump to him, I think you will find that he will be more even with his front end.

Trees4U
Apr. 27, 2009, 06:54 PM
Tall skinny Xs and ramp oxers helped ours alot.

Individualblue07
Apr. 27, 2009, 08:45 PM
http://img205.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=31899258682174174443674.jpg

For those of you without Facebook :winkgrin:

I am definitely going to try gymnastics and bigger jumps.

He has something off in his front that causes his stride to be alot smaller than most horses his size, so im not sure whether that causes to jump uneven but he has proven to us so far that he is capable of up to 2'6. Which im pretty sure we never thought we would see the day he would be showing above 2' at all! lol

Geeka
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:02 PM
I'm with Wizard of Oz's here. Jumping ahead will often mess with your horse's balance and cause them to jump crooked in front.

meehankk
Apr. 27, 2009, 11:51 PM
I would totally agree! Gymnastics and bigger jumps. My horse and i are working on the same thing. We have been doing little stuff and in a lesson we jumped a crossrail and my trainer just said hes bored and cranked them up an he was sooooo much better!

just posting that everyone is right and i second it all!

Seven-up
Apr. 28, 2009, 12:07 AM
He has something off in his front that causes his stride to be alot smaller than most horses his size, so im not sure whether that causes to jump uneven but he has proven to us so far that he is capable of up to 2'6. Which im pretty sure we never thought we would see the day he would be showing above 2' at all! lol

Could you elaborate on this part? It sounds a little like you're jumping an unsound horse, and I'm sure that's not what you mean. I must be reading that wrong. :confused: Not accusatory, just don't understand what you're saying.:)

Individualblue07
Apr. 28, 2009, 09:33 AM
he's not off anymore. I just phrased that wrong... lol

Before we got him, there was something funky with his front end. These days you would never be able to tell that he has had any problems ever. Im not sure what was wrong with him, but I do know that he is completly sound :)

I guess what I meant was that would having that super small stride have anything to do with his jumping? He's not the scopiest horse but he loves jumping.

JB
Apr. 28, 2009, 09:47 AM
http://img205.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=31899258682174174443674.jpg

For those of you without Facebook :winkgrin:

I am definitely going to try gymnastics and bigger jumps.

He's just stepping over these fences. His knees ARE even in both of the pictures, but he's really just in the middle of a large canter stride - even his hind legs show that.

It's hard to fix that over fences this low. Your only choice at this height, really, is to ride him to a deep spot and not jump up his neck. That will cause him to have to rock back and jump up first, rather than just sort of flatter across.