PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Show Braiders!

indygirl2560
Apr. 26, 2009, 09:49 PM
So my trainer's daughter is going to teach me how to braid well so I can be the barn show braider and make some money! Anyways, for a good braider(clean, tight braids) how much do you charge, or, in the client's case, pay? Also, how long does it typically take you to do a mane and tail(I'm wondering if I am the world's slowest braider!)? Any advice? Thanks!

woodhillsmanhattan
Apr. 26, 2009, 10:16 PM
I charge $45 a mane $25 a tail. It takes me between 45 min and 1 hr depending on the horse. If they are naughty it may take me a little longer. And only about 20 minutes max to do a tail.

You might want to get her to show you some tips on if the horses are bad too. I personally don't like to bully any of the horses I braid. If they are naughty I will usually just twitch them or use a lip chain of sorts. Sometimes ground tieing them and putting their head in the back corner of the stall works well too. Better to just put on the twitch, get it done and not fight or discipline a horse that isn't yours. The next morning I will usually tell the owner if their horse was bad and suggest ways to improve their "braiding manners".

christmasfarm
Apr. 26, 2009, 10:23 PM
I charge $45 and $25 as well, and my times are similiar, 40 to 45 minutes per mane, 15 to 20 for a tail. They simple key to getting faster is practice! Look at your watch and challenge yourself - pretend you have only 50 minutes to get it done if it's been taking you 55. Nothing like panic to move a braider's fingers!

Renn/aissance
Apr. 27, 2009, 12:25 AM
I charge $35 for a mane, $25 for a tail. Takes me 45 minutes for a mane and 20 for a tail, usually.

LovesHorses
Apr. 27, 2009, 12:32 AM
Seriously, your barn show braider will be your best bet for a good lesson. That is the norm in NorCal....$45 a mane, $25+ for a tail. Some charge extra to braid in a fake. Travel charges can be up to $30 per horse, per show.

indygirl2560
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:03 AM
Seriously, your barn show braider will be your best bet for a good lesson. That is the norm in NorCal....$45 a mane, $25+ for a tail. Some charge extra to braid in a fake. Travel charges can be up to $30 per horse, per show.
Ok the only problem is we don't really have a regular braider. It's just kind of whoever is at the show advertising braiding unless one of the college girls from the barn is there and willing to braid(and they're usually pretty hard to get a hold of). The prices you mentioned is what I paid at my last show. My goal is to at least save money by braiding my own horses and then move on making money braiding others. By the way, do you know anyone in NorCal willing to give a professional braiding lesson? The braider we had at Leone was really good, but I can't get a hold of her!

Thanks for everyone's input!

heartinrye
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:33 AM
Just remeber that at first your braids won't be 'pro' braids, so your prices may need to be a little lower at first. Once your braids are up to 'par' then you can charge the normal/avg rate!

Blondie22
Apr. 27, 2009, 11:37 AM
I pay $55 for mane and tail at A circuit shows. Fake tails are $10 extra.

TheOrangeOne
Apr. 27, 2009, 12:31 PM
45- mane
30- tail
5- tie in a fake when they're not braided

Claudius
Apr. 27, 2009, 12:59 PM
do you braid up and then change to braiding under as you go down the braid? I read a post on another thread where the braider said that kept them tighter next to the neck.

OneMoreTime
Apr. 27, 2009, 04:55 PM
do you braid up and then change to braiding under as you go down the braid? I read a post on another thread where the braider said that kept them tighter next to the neck.

Whenever I put my horse in training braids, I braid "under" (e.g., each section crossed UNDER the previous one). It definitely keeps them tighter to the neck. However, if I'm going to tie up the braids, it doesn't matter b/c the little knobby at the top will force it to lie flat.

I really recommend Ruthanne Smiths "Lucky Braids" video. It is very detailed and informative. I don't do everything 100% her way, but it's fun to watch her. I still pay to have someone braid for me at big shows, but just because it takes me way too long & I prefer to sleep.:lol:

danosaur
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:38 PM

ummm... the lady that braids at my shows is kind of scary. I don't think she'd teach me anything haha

Hunter Mom
Apr. 28, 2009, 11:28 AM
I always braid over - I don't know how you'd switch mid braid. Keep your hands close to the neck to be sure you're not pulling the hair away from the neck as you braid, which will help them lie flat, then tie tight.