PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of GPA Speed Air

neigh.neigh
Apr. 26, 2009, 08:48 PM
I was just curious on what everyone thought about using the GPA Speed Air helmet in the hunters and equitation. I don't do the jumpers regularly but I really really really love this helmet. Just curious.... I will probably end up getting it anyway :)

grandprixjump
Apr. 26, 2009, 09:27 PM
If I remember correctly, they had the BLACK - BLACK, so unless you were really close to them you couldn't even tell it was a SpeedAir...

heartinrye
Apr. 26, 2009, 09:28 PM
I have the Black/Black one. I love it, and won't think twice about wearing it in the eq this summer!

neigh.neigh
Apr. 26, 2009, 09:31 PM
yes i would definitely get the black/black sorry i forgot to mention that

IsolaBella09
Apr. 26, 2009, 09:33 PM
I love the Black/Black model. I'm mainly a jumper rider, but do the eq on occasion and I want one! :D

joiedevie99
Apr. 26, 2009, 09:40 PM
I ride at home and in some jumper classes in the green/silver one. It is the most comfortable helmet ever, and the only one I've ever felt a breeze through the vents of. They're just for marketing on lots of helmets, but the ones on the speed air actually work- so well that I don't wear it outside in the winter.

giddybiddy
Apr. 26, 2009, 09:57 PM
They sound really comfortable! Ahh to have the breeze in your hair...

But honestly, anything other than the Black/Black looks like bug eyes to me. JMHO.

neigh.neigh
Apr. 26, 2009, 10:07 PM
But honestly, anything other than the Black/Black looks like bug eyes to me. JMHO.

I totally agree!!!

hideyourheart03
Apr. 26, 2009, 11:01 PM
I really, really want one.

My boss got a black/silver one and she sprayed all the vents except for the center one (like all the bug ones) with black spray paint. IMO, GPA needs to start making them like this! I like it a lot better than the black/silver and the black/black ones....

PNWjumper
Apr. 26, 2009, 11:09 PM
I LOVE my new Speed Air! As a jumper rider (almost exclusively), I had no qualms whatsoever about getting the silver on black (and therefore looking like I have a bug head :lol:). It really is the most vented hat I've ever had on my head.

And I agree that the black on black looks fine for anything. If the tack shop I picked mine up at had had the black on black I would have gone with that rather than the one I got.

copper1
Apr. 27, 2009, 06:59 AM
I tried one on and loved it and immediately wanted to go get a jumper!

Rhody Ram
Apr. 27, 2009, 08:25 AM
I really don't like it. Fine for the jumpers, of course. I just think the flap in the back looks strange. Although I do like the IRH copy of it, and I never thought I would say that!

Lucassb
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:31 AM
I love, love, love my Speed Air for its comfort, particularly in the warmer weather. However, I personally would not wear it to show in the hunter or eq rings.

That said, Erynn Ballard wore one when she showed my young horse in the pre greens at WEF last year and got good prizes, so clearly the judges don't care, even at the big shows.

heartinrye
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:37 AM
I really don't like it. Fine for the jumpers, of course. I just think the flap in the back looks strange. Although I do like the IRH copy of it, and I never thought I would say that!

The 'flap' on the back is to protect you from snapping your neck when you fall. When I was recently in Europe I didn't see anyone with a helmet without a flap on the back. I think eventually we will have the same thing here, in America.

Jumper6252
Apr. 27, 2009, 04:04 PM
I just tried one on and LOVED it!!! I cannot wait to get one for my birthday. It felt so light and must be so nice and cool to ride with in the summer.

Giddy-up
Apr. 27, 2009, 04:16 PM
I have seen them & like them. Afraid to try one on cause then I just might "need" it. :lol: I sort of liked the black & silver although the black/black might be more practical since I do a little eq too.

RugBug
Apr. 27, 2009, 04:55 PM
I'm not a fan...at all. I think they're pretty hideous, actually. I also think the tipperary is god awful but people swear it's the most comfortable helmet out there.

dmj
Apr. 27, 2009, 05:07 PM
Love the SpeedAir - it literally feels as if you have nothing on your head at all. The black on black is better looking than the black/grey IMO...

Wizard of Oz's
Apr. 27, 2009, 05:41 PM
I love the speed-air but not for hunters or equitation. I really wanted one, but didn't think they look quite right in the hunter/eq. classes. I iknow people do it, and that's fine, but I wouldn't. I decided to get the Gr8 instead. Don't know if you're one to follow the crowds, but all of the big eq riders that I know of have a speed-air for the jumpers and use a CO in the eq. Just sayin:)

neigh.neigh
Apr. 27, 2009, 06:55 PM
I love the speed-air but not for hunters or equitation. I really wanted one, but didn't think they look quite right in the hunter/eq. classes. I iknow people do it, and that's fine, but I wouldn't. I decided to get the Gr8 instead. Don't know if you're one to follow the crowds, but all of the big eq riders that I know of have a speed-air for the jumpers and use a CO in the eq. Just sayin:)

Yeah thats kinda what i was thinking... I have the gr8 so i might use that for really big shows and finals and then have the speed air to do everything else