PDA

View Full Version : MAN was this a close call!! (sorry quite a long story!)

shawneeAcres
Apr. 26, 2009, 07:56 PM
THis morning I got up bright and early to feed the barn as I was going to a show with two of my students. Since we were onlyt aking their two horses, one of the mother's took their 3 horse gooseneck. They have a nice F350 ford truck she hauls with and they haul their horse, and sometimes some of mine if we are not taking more than three. A few weeks ago she had brand new tires put on both the truck and trailer. She only drives the truck for shows and to pick up feed, and we have only been to one show since she got the tires and it was very close. On Friday I took her daughter to the show with their truck and trailer as she had to work. On the way home, I would feel swaying when I would change lanes. It seemed weird since I had driven that rig before and never felt any sway, but their mare tends to move around a lot so figured that was it. We did not go back yesterday as she had other things to do and the other student had her high school prom, so we were just going back today. Loaded up around 7:30 and left, about an hour's drive to the showgrounds. Got about 5 miles from the house and was coming down the entrance ramp about to merge onto four lane hiway and all of a sudden we al felt something. We thought it was a tire going flat, Mel looked in rear view mirror just in time to see her hubcap fly off. She pulled over and we got out (it was a pretty bad place to pull over but no choice). Went back and looked and the left rear tire had 6 lug nuts GONE! I couldnt' believe it. The other Mom went back to where the hub cap flew off, found the hub cap and five of the lugs and brought them back. It wasn't the LUG NUTS that were off the ENTIRE LUG with the NUTS had SHEARED off!!!! It was a bone chilling moment to think that in 30 more seconds we would have merged onto the highway and been doing 65+ miles per hour and if it hadn't happend RIGHT THEN the ENTIRE tire would have flown off, as no way two lugs would have held it!!! As It was we could not even move the truck for fear of the tire coming off. So I called my husband who hadn't gotten out of bed yet. He called back a few minutes later, meanwhile Mel called AAA to get someone to come witha rollback and get the truck. My hubby called back and I told him to hook up truck and trailer and bring it. We also called the police and had a state patrolman come and park behind us with lights on as we were in a blind spot. When my husband came we offloaded the horses while the patrolman stopped traffic and loaded them on my trailer, thank GOD these hroses are cool cucumbers and didn't flinch an ear while we lead them down the hiway (could go on the other side) and loaded them. Took them home and then unhooked my trailer, as the rollback had gotten there jsut as we loaded and put her truck on it. I went back and got her trailer off the side of the hiway. This was all due to the fact the lug nuts were NOT tightened properly by the company she got the tires from!!! PLEASE CHECK YOUR LUGS REGULARLY especially AFTER GETTING NEW TIRES!! Don't take for granted that they did their job, it very nearly caused us to have a horrific wreck and lord knows if we, the kids and/or horses would have survived it!

kookicat
Apr. 26, 2009, 08:00 PM
I'm not sure how the tire place caused this. It sounds like there was a problem with the nuts.

Glad you all came through it okay though!

shawneeAcres
Apr. 26, 2009, 08:01 PM
I'm not sure how the tire place caused this. It sounds like there was a problem with the nuts.

Glad you all came through it okay though!

The lugs were LOOSE and the tire was moving back and forth causing the swaying I ahd felt and evetually so much stress to the lug bolts they sheared. You could see where the threads were worn down from the tire rocking back and forth!

Kenike
Apr. 26, 2009, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't say they were loose, I'd say they were over-tightened. Same thing happened to us about 9 or 10 years ago, also while hauling (2 horses, though). Hubby was driving, wheel came off and went careening across traffic...thankfully missed everyone. It was a busy highway in Texas. Hubby, rollback driver, and mechanic who fixed us up right away ALL said the tire place over-tightened the lugs. Caused them to sheer. We double-check every single time we get new tires now, no matter the vehicle.

Yes, it was a problem with the lugs, but only because of human error when the tires were replaced.

Scary experience! But I'm glad you're all okay!!

Valeureux
Apr. 26, 2009, 08:18 PM
Scary experience! Glad everyone was okay :eek:

shawneeAcres
Apr. 26, 2009, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't say they were loose, I'd say they were over-tightened. Same thing happened to us about 9 or 10 years ago, also while hauling (2 horses, though). Hubby was driving, wheel came off and went careening across traffic...thankfully missed everyone. It was a busy highway in Texas. Hubby, rollback driver, and mechanic who fixed us up right away ALL said the tire place over-tightened the lugs. Caused them to sheer. We double-check every single time we get new tires now, no matter the vehicle.

Yes, it was a problem with the lugs, but only because of human error when the tires were replaced.

Scary experience! But I'm glad you're all okay!!

Well we had a mechanic look at the bolts and the fact the threads were worn smooth on one side only (the upper weight bearing side) shows the lugs were loose. I think probably someone had hand tightened them, got distracted and forgot to tighten with the pnuematic wrench (jsut a hypothesis however), but it was very obviously as both of us had felt that swaying motin as the tire was rocking back and forth on the lugs. But regardless it was a harrowing experience! I just hate to think of the trailer jack knifing if the wheel had come off!

BeaSting
Apr. 26, 2009, 08:45 PM
You were certainly being looked after. I'm glad no one was hurt.

shawneeAcres
Apr. 26, 2009, 08:55 PM
You were certainly being looked after. I'm glad no one was hurt.

You are SO right, I must have had a guardian angel!! It is just chilling to think about, and especially for the two kids we had with us. Of course THEY had a great time with it, and took photos of the entire thing!! They thought it was great!

Kenike
Apr. 27, 2009, 12:10 AM
Definitely being looked after! And the mechanic is the voice to listen to (duh :lol:), though we felt the swaying, too....it's a weird feeling!!

SanDiegoMedalLover
Apr. 27, 2009, 12:43 AM
I have actually seen a tire FLY OFF ON THE FREEWAY! It was a little car and the front left tire flew off, she was metal on cement, and the tire bounced between the south bound lanes, over the median and into the north bound lanes. I remember watching it stop on the side of the northbound freeway anf thinking "HUH, it didnt hit any cars". The girl driving was on her phone when it happened, so I'm sure she got help quickly. Scary.

GreystoneKC
Apr. 27, 2009, 08:37 AM
Shawnee, I absolutely feel for you.

About 6 years ago, I was driving down the highway on the PA NE Extension heading to the Poconos with my boyfriend in his dad's little Ford Ranger doing 70-some mph and (after earlier thinking we'd heard and felt something funny and stopping at a rest stop to check our axles and tires and finding "nothing" wrong...) all of a sudden we felt a little bump and I knew at that moment our wheel wasn't connected to the axle anymore... A split second later, the tire shot off the left hind of the truck up in front of us and cleared I believe 4 lanes of moving highway plus a 6' guard fence and into a ravine. I still feel incredible blessed that my boyfriend at the time was able to safely get that truck, dragging on its break disc, from the left lane of the highway onto the shoulder without us being killed - and also that the rouge tire didn't land on the highway and kill anyone else!!!! It was the scariest moment of my life.

As if that's not enough tire issues for one person in a lifetime... This past September, my father (no, I'm not a kid and yes, he still loves to come to horse shows with me and my students and it gets me out of having to drive the trailer, so who am I to argue?!?), myself, and my student were headed to a show about an hour away. It had already been a rough day as we'd had issues with the horse show, my student was going to be riding even though she'd had a gash down her hand with stitches in it, and I was going to be riding even though I'd just fallen down the stairs a couple days before, PLUS my father had just recently come back from knee surgery and being allowed to drive. Dumdeedumdeedum... driving along and BONK. Flat, shredded tire on the trailer - good news was, there's 2 back there so we stayed afloat just fine. So we pull into Rider University and it's like some kind of sick joke: How do 3 invalids change a tire? We can't get the spare tire off the trailer, we can't get anyone to come help us (except some sweet girl from the lacross team or something who was a total beast to that tire!), and we *think* we're insanely late for our class at the show - oh, and it's getting dark (we were on our way for a night classic). Long story short, we finally got some help and got the tire changed and got to the show. Classic was starting late so that was good, but it was still a night we'd all kinda like to forget.

Fast forward to the next horse show... I'm driving the trailer to another show about an hour away. Happy day, happy day... We pull into the show, I drive back through the grass field where you park, hang a right turn to move into a parking spot, and kerplunk. Seriously? Trainer friend parked next to me goes, hey your tire just fell off! I'm like, you think, lol? So yeah, all lug nuts, GONE. All lugs, stripped. Same tire that we had just replaced after it shredded. As my kids would say, it was an epic fail. I ended up having trainer friend ship the horse home for us (thankfully we'd only brought one that day) and I drove the trailer home carefully myself.

I seriously hate all things tires....

ChocoMare
Apr. 27, 2009, 08:50 AM
The Hand of Providence was surely on your rig that day. Whew.

Good things for all of us to file away in our collective craniums: check lug nuts, both for loose ones or over-tightened.

Oh and if you've not done so, do join US Rider. It's worth every penny of their annual fee.

FLeckenAwesome
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:42 AM
Yikes!!! Glad you are okay!!!

Just this Wed I was driving and heard a "screeeeeeeeechhhhh" and saw the same thing across the street! A green jeep or something's tire just flew off and he was spinning around on his axle or whatever!!! I don't know how the driver managed to keep his car (albeit doing a 180 degree turn) in those two lanes. And luckily the people behind him were far enough back to stop. But crazy scary!!!!!

Summit Springs Farm
Apr. 27, 2009, 05:51 PM
A couple of months ago, I was driving my suburban (without the trailer) and the check brake light went on, I was thinking darn it we have a show to go to tomorrow, it will probably be alright till after the show.

Well it was all right until after the show, on the way home the SUV started to smoke, we pulled over and the axle was almost broken all the way through!! The axle!!
A few more seconds and we would have been who knows what!
My baby filly might not have made it if we had an accident, or me for that matter. Never again, light comes on, I'll get it checked pronto!!