PDA

View Full Version : On Tyte Stirrups

3 is the limit
Apr. 25, 2009, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know anything about these stirrups or used them? Feedback would be great. Thanks!

If they work, I think I'll get a set because keeping my left foot in the stirrup is a major challenge for me.

http://www.ontyte.com/index.html

Jumper6252
Apr. 25, 2009, 09:19 PM
I think there was something about them in either USEF's or USHJA's magazine

Platinum Equestrian
Apr. 26, 2009, 10:35 AM
What do they cost?

3 is the limit
Apr. 27, 2009, 02:31 PM
The website says $225.

Dun Ciarain
Apr. 27, 2009, 04:48 PM
The website says $225.

That doesn't include the cost to resole your boots, which is required for the stirrups to work.

Rhody Ram
Apr. 27, 2009, 05:23 PM
here's a $20 solution http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=6038

They really work well. My friend has them on her saddle and I'm going to get a pair. Or two.

giddybiddy
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:01 PM
here's a $20 solution http://www.SmartPakEquine.com/productclass.aspx?productClassid=6038

They really work well. My friend has them on her saddle and I'm going to get a pair. Or two.

Am I still the only one who tried those and had them fail MISERABLY?! I put them on right, did everything it told me to do to put them on, and I couldn't keep my feet in the stirrups for the LIFE of me! They slid right out when I put my heel down! And I don't put my heel very far down. Tried it with 2 pairs of boots too. I was extremely disappointed.

Rhody Ram
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:09 PM
Uh oh... My friend had them but I didn't know where she bought them from. Maybe they weren't the same ones. Did you buy the smartpak ones?

alibi_18
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:13 PM
You could glue your feet to your stirrups that wouldn't change the fact that you have a position problem...
It is ridiculous to think that that kind of gadget would help anyone. If your heels come up and you loose your stirrups, on both sides, you might be squeezing your knees a bit too much. If its on one side maybe you should work on sitting straight and putting weight equally on both side. Not buying another tool to cover your mistakes.

I would spend that money on lessons prior to those stirrups.

giddybiddy
Apr. 27, 2009, 10:24 PM
Uh oh... My friend had them but I didn't know where she bought them from. Maybe they weren't the same ones. Did you buy the smartpak ones?

Yup. Well, I bought them from Dover, but they were the same exact thing. I heard only good things about them, felt how amazingly grippy they were, and bought some. I've just figured I'm weird and went back to my cheesegraters haha!

Angel Undercover
Apr. 27, 2009, 11:21 PM
You could glue your feet to your stirrups that wouldn't change the fact that you have a position problem...
It is ridiculous to think that that kind of gadget would help anyone. If your heels come up and you loose your stirrups, on both sides, you might be squeezing your knees a bit too much. If its on one side maybe you should work on sitting straight and putting weight equally on both side. Not buying another tool to cover your mistakes.

Sometimes there are psychical reasons that can make it hard for someone to keep their heel down; ankle or tendon problems among other things. A little extra something can be very helpful.

happyhorse3
Apr. 28, 2009, 07:20 AM
Am I still the only one who tried those and had them fail MISERABLY?! I put them on right, did everything it told me to do to put them on, and I couldn't keep my feet in the stirrups for the LIFE of me! They slid right out when I put my heel down! And I don't put my heel very far down. Tried it with 2 pairs of boots too. I was extremely disappointed.

I had the same problem. These were worse than using no pad at all!!!:lol: I've tried a lot of different pads and I still swear by the cheese grater type.:yes:

ImTheOwner
Apr. 28, 2009, 11:31 AM
I had the cheese graters, then switched to the comfort pads. I don't have trouble keeping my feet in the stirrups and I don't have any problems with my heels coming up, but I saw the comfort pads and thought they would offer more surface area for the bottom of my boot to grip on to. I have been using them to school in and to horse show in for about 8 months or so. I think, if I had to do it all over again, I would just stick with the cheese graters. The comfort pads are okay but I sure wouldn't say "amazingly grippy" by a long shot. I may switch back to the cheese graters. It did take a few rides to get "used to" the comfort pads.

Spud&Saf
Apr. 28, 2009, 12:56 PM
I looooooveeee my super comfort pads -you would have to pry them from my cold dead hands to get them.

I don't have a problem with losing my sitrrups, but they are the BEST in wet weather and they feel so cushy and secure under my foot. :yes:

3 is the limit
Apr. 28, 2009, 06:51 PM

Thank you for that helpful advice. I never would have thought to sit up straight and put my weight equally on both sides. DUH! By the way, did you know that I have hardly any flexion in my left ankle?

I only have this problem with my very oddly shaped WB and not with my TB or my QH. Richard Spooner uses these as do a number of members of the olympic equestrian team. I was just wondering if people liked them and if they were a pain to get on/off and how it worked with the boots.