PDA

View Full Version : Consignment barns- Maryland/VA/PA area?

salir22
Apr. 25, 2009, 10:17 AM
Can anyone recommend a good sale barn which may take horse on consignment?

I have a mare who, while very talented, is just not for me. I had her in training with pro about a year ago and she was easily doing 3' hunters in good form. However, she was a more challenging ride for the pro and for me is difficult most times even on the flat. It's gotten to the point where I don't even jump her anymore. We have our good days, but lately the bad days outnumber the good days. Although I once enjoyed her, I do not enjoy riding her anymore. Since I do not get to spend much time riding anymore(occupied with time consuming job, husband, and new house), I would honestly rather just hack out on the trails with my very patient, kind 3 yr old than spend an hour wrestling in the saddle with her. It's time for both of us to move on. I've moved since I had her with the pro previously so sending her back there to be sold is not an option.

So I'm looking for info about sale barns in my area (Montgomery county, MD) and those that take horses on consignment. I want to find her a good home, she is very loving and personable on the ground, just difficult under saddle.

Thanks!

Mamare
Apr. 25, 2009, 05:20 PM
Chad Keenum is in Virginia and is very good with sales. CKSporthorses.com. He's a very nice person to work with.

unclewiggly
Apr. 25, 2009, 08:21 PM
If you go to Chad...read on horse show Diva "what happened to Diana Crump"..make sure you get a rock solid contract about who pays what and what you expect to get from sale. Spell it all out in ink...

CGolden
Apr. 25, 2009, 08:49 PM
What happened to Diane was an accident and could have happened at any barn. Chad is a great guy and extremely reputable.

Show_hunters
Apr. 26, 2009, 01:31 PM
Chad Keenum is in Virginia and is very good with sales. CKSporthorses.com. He's a very nice person to work with.
I second Chad. He is a wonderful trainer and does very well with babies and I have enjoyed riding with him. As for sales, I can say that he has a lot to offer and has many very nice horses. I drool every time I see them go and when Chad shows them they often clean-up.

Mamare
May. 1, 2009, 08:36 AM
Does Olin Armstrong do sales?

suniday
May. 1, 2009, 09:40 AM
I just sent you a PM.

advantagepa
May. 1, 2009, 10:23 AM
I also recomment Chad. He is an awesome guy who does great business.

unclewiggly
May. 10, 2009, 03:48 PM
Glad you all are happy w/ Chad

monalisa
May. 12, 2009, 05:53 AM
Ditto. Chad is an honest guy. I would not hesitate to do business with him.

NRC260
May. 12, 2009, 08:31 AM
I would hesitate.

BABYGREENTB
May. 12, 2009, 09:09 AM
Rachel Kennedy is in Montgomery County and also does a lot of sales.

White Pearl
Apr. 20, 2010, 02:24 PM
I'm going up to look at horses at CK sporthorses and at Jess Fortin's. I've taken the above comments under consideration. Can anybody tell me anything about Jess Fortin? Please don't hesitate to pm me if there's anything you want to say but just not in public. I've been burned buying horses more than once, and would appreciate any relevant info that might keep me out of trouble this time.

KaraAD
Apr. 20, 2010, 02:48 PM
Vince Dugan's in Unionville PA. I believe he and Janice are still doing sales.

blackcat95
Apr. 21, 2010, 09:12 PM
Sally Lamb in VA.

southern
Apr. 21, 2010, 09:46 PM
Like White Pearl's post above - I would love to hear any feedback on Jess Fortin too (please PM if it is negative) - she has a couple that I might be interested in but I am not familiar with her and would like to steer clear if others have had a bad experience. Thanks!

Foxhound
Apr. 21, 2010, 09:52 PM
Chad Keenum in VA. www.cksporthorses.com
I sold a horse through him about a year and a half ago. I found him to be skilled, professional, and very reasonable with his rates.

NorthFaceFarm
Apr. 21, 2010, 10:33 PM
Shoot me a pm :)

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Apr. 22, 2010, 12:00 AM
If you go to Chad...read on horse show Diva "what happened to Diana Crump"..make sure you get a rock solid contract about who pays what and what you expect to get from sale. Spell it all out in ink...

Dear god, with a statement like that, you'd think you could at least get the woman's name right... clearly, you have no clue what you're talking about...

RockinHorse
Apr. 22, 2010, 06:50 AM
I would hesitate.

Personality, as relates to CK, so would I. But, I will add, this is based on an experience that is a couple years old. I have not looked at anything he has had recently.

SchoOff5788
Apr. 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
Jess Fortin is very nice and does a nice job with the young/tough ones! She is a very cool woman!
http://www.jessfortin.com

Rockfish
Apr. 23, 2010, 08:36 AM
I would hesitate.

Me too. VA and MD have so many other people to offer. I second Sally Lamb.