PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, I think my new OTTB wants to be a hunter UPDATE: jumped him today page 3

Couture TB
Apr. 24, 2009, 02:34 PM
So we purchased a 16.3h TB stallion a month or so ago. Just started working him under saddle. I was so excited since he is my old Advanced event horses half brother, and figured he would be a nice stallion to bring along for eventing. Well I have a few rides on him, and I think he wants to be a hunter. He is so very quiet with a soft mouth, smooth gaits, and the only time you know he is a stallion is when he nickers to the other studs on the property (he never calls first but always wants to talk back :lol:).

Going to try him over fences after I have surgery, but I think he is going to be just as quiet. He is so quiet that you could put anyone on him.

He is now 8 and just stopped racing last November.

Photo of him racing http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/MattsonTraining/NewYorkCat.jpg

3rd time working him after purchase
http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/MattsonTraining/?action=view&current=CatUndersaddle.jpg

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/MattsonTraining/?action=view&current=CatUndersaddle4.jpg

http://s297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/MattsonTraining/?action=view&current=CatUndersaddle5.jpg

heartinrye
Apr. 24, 2009, 02:35 PM
All the pics are the same! :(

gg4918
Apr. 24, 2009, 02:36 PM
Links all go to the same picture.

Equitate.
Apr. 24, 2009, 02:36 PM
They're all a link to the same picture :(

He sure sounds like a keeper though- Congrats!

Couture TB
Apr. 24, 2009, 02:52 PM
Ooop! :lol: Bad copy and paste button!

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/MattsonTraining/CatUndersaddle.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/MattsonTraining/CatUndersaddle4.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/MattsonTraining/CatUndersaddle5.jpg

luvs2ridewbs
Apr. 24, 2009, 02:54 PM
at least from those pics, he does look like a hunter.

Pirateer
Apr. 24, 2009, 02:54 PM
VERY cute :)

Couture TB
Apr. 24, 2009, 02:58 PM
I have a ton more, and even at the canter he goes so quiet on a loose rein with his head level. You just get on him and he goes, Ok what can I do to please you today?

What is my poor eventer self to do with a quiet, well moving (he can move out a TON more then in the photos but right now we are working on rythem and bending and transitions) QUIET TB stallion that wants to be a hunter :lol:

IsolaBella09
Apr. 24, 2009, 02:59 PM
He's adorable! Good luck with him! :D

horse-loverz
Apr. 24, 2009, 02:59 PM
I like him what is his pedigree if you don't mind me asking :)

eqrider1234
Apr. 24, 2009, 03:04 PM
I have a ton more, and even at the canter he goes so quiet on a loose rein with his head level. You just get on him and he goes, Ok what can I do to please you today?

What is my poor eventer self to do with a quiet, well moving (he can move out a TON more then in the photos but right now we are working on rythem and bending and transitions) QUIET TB stallion that wants to be a hunter :lol:

Give him to me.... duh! haha :lol:

Mimi La Rue
Apr. 24, 2009, 03:05 PM
Send him my way if you don't want him. :winkgrin:

He looks lovely and very hunter-like to me in those photos.

MyGiantPony
Apr. 24, 2009, 03:08 PM
What is my poor eventer self to do

Read the "how to do Hunter Princess hair" thread, learn to braid and come on over!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Couture TB
Apr. 24, 2009, 03:14 PM
I am trying to bring up his bloodlines on the pedigreequery but their site is being odd:lol:

I want to say he is by Storm Cat, has Mr Prospecter, Never Bend, What A Pleasure, and quite a few other nice horses in his lines. As soon as the site stops being slow/odd.

I will have to see if I have a side shot of him, as you can't really fault him on anything build wise.

Couture TB
Apr. 24, 2009, 03:19 PM
Read the "how to do Hunter Princess hair" thread, learn to braid and come on over!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

We were just talking about how I might have to try to look like a hunter rider (by the way, my 2 sweatshirts make me look a A LOT ummm 'bigger' then I am, but in the process of fixing that :lol:) to take him to some shows. Though if hunter or Eq is what he screams then he will be trained up, taken to some shows, and then sold to someone that wants a very nice, big, quiet, hunter.

I keep on hoping that if he sees a XC course he might go YAY! Bring on the huge solid jumps!

OneMoreTime
Apr. 24, 2009, 03:20 PM
Welcome to hunter world :-).

Couture TB
Apr. 24, 2009, 03:37 PM
I am still holding out for him to want to event. But as I always say "the horse will tell you what job they want" and I think by the photos and EVERY time I have ridden him he is saying "I want to be a hunter!"

Don't think I could come over to "the other side...." though :lol: I have 2 upper level event prospects coming up the ranks and a warmblood stallion to show for a friend Dressage, so I think adding in lots of hunter shows is a bit of a time srunch. At least that is what I tell myself:D

Couture TB
Apr. 24, 2009, 06:20 PM
Here is the link to his bloodlines http://www.pedigreequery.com/new+york+cat

Couture TB
Apr. 24, 2009, 07:09 PM
Oh, and here is a video of I think our 2nd or 3rd ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBLZBFmdBYE

He still has a 'racing' butt, though is learning to loosen up through his back and such.

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 24, 2009, 08:08 PM
Don't give up on eventing him.....nothing wrong with an event horse that goes like a hunter...and there are quite a few that do. Jimmy always says you should aspire to jump around xc like a working hunter!

His pedigree (on the bottom) has a lot of the same blood one of my mares (also an eventer). Have fun with him he looks like he will be very nice.

Couture TB
Apr. 24, 2009, 08:15 PM
Oh I'm not giving up at all:D His bottom half is the same as my ex Advanced horse so there are high hopes for him.

ParisHillEC
Apr. 24, 2009, 09:53 PM
Hes cute! Good luck with him!

I too just got a stallion off the track with Storm Cat in the same spot as yours. He is kicking quiet, doesn't call out to the girls, and is going to make a lovely hunter!

tikihorse2
Apr. 24, 2009, 10:39 PM
He's just beautiful. Congrats!

Kim

Jive
Apr. 25, 2009, 08:38 AM
I have a Storm Cat grandson that I bought as a 4yr old to be a jumper prospect. He is now 9 yrs old and decided long ago that his niche in life is a hunter.

Your new guy is very handsome.

hrsgirl07
Apr. 25, 2009, 09:46 AM
I have know a few Storm Cat babies that have done quite well as hunters and they are all how you describe this boy to be...

Couture TB
Apr. 25, 2009, 10:25 AM
I have know a few Storm Cat babies that have done quite well as hunters and they are all how you describe this boy to be...

Oh no say it isn't so! :lol:

NEIGH-HAM
Apr. 25, 2009, 10:33 AM
It isn't so......just saying for you....even if it's not true:lol:

He will make a handsome hunter:winkgrin:

Couture TB
Apr. 25, 2009, 11:08 AM
This is his half brother http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm205/MattsonTraining/Pest.jpg

Figure I will build up Cat's riding muscles, do some correct training on the flat and over fences, take him to see a XC course and see what he tells me he wants to do. I do have a feeling he is going to say "hunter" no matter what I hope, since every ride he goes more and more like a hunter and I am not even asking him to:lol:

Czar
Apr. 25, 2009, 01:09 PM
Don't do it!!! ;)

Jk...sort of...one can spend so much time trying to get their horses to go like hunters so when you get one that naturally wants to go like that - I cringe to think of taking away that natural aptitude.

Couture TB
Apr. 25, 2009, 01:53 PM
Don't do it!!! ;)

Jk...sort of...one can spend so much time trying to get their horses to go like hunters so when you get one that naturally wants to go like that - I cringe to think of taking away that natural aptitude.

Don't worry if he says he wants to be a hunter he will get to be a hunter:)

Now here is a question for you hunters:

If I have to *shudder* show him in the hunters:lol: Is a monflap cross country saddle going to be looked down at? Or will I have to find a non cross country saddle/monoflap saddle?

But I am still going to cross my fingers, maybe pray to a cross country deity or 2 for him to want to be an eventer:D

Czar
Apr. 25, 2009, 02:04 PM
Don't worry if he says he wants to be a hunter he will get to be a hunter:)

Now here is a question for you hunters:

If I have to *shudder* show him in the hunters:lol: Is a monflap cross country saddle going to be looked down at? Or will I have to find a non cross country saddle/monoflap saddle?

But I am still going to cross my fingers, maybe pray to a cross country deity or 2 for him to want to be an eventer:D

Don't know much about monoflap saddles but if it is a monoflap jumping saddle (like the one Amerigo makes) it will be just fine. I'm not even sure if they come in all purpose but I would avoid that in the hunter ring if they do and NOT b/c it's "unfashionable" but b/c they do not put you in the proper position for over fences work.

And cheer up!:lol: Hunters are fun & challenging...there's nothing so satisfying as flawlessly completely a course with a beautifully balanced canter, seamless changes, & 8 perfect distances!

Couture TB
Apr. 25, 2009, 02:18 PM
Don't know much about monoflap saddles but if it is a monoflap jumping saddle (like the one Amerigo makes) it will be just fine. I'm not even sure if they come in all purpose but I would avoid that in the hunter ring if they do and NOT b/c it's "unfashionable" but b/c they do not put you in the proper position for over fences work.

And cheer up!:lol: Hunters are fun & challenging...there's nothing so satisfying as flawlessly completely a course with a beautifully balanced canter, seamless changes, & 8 perfect distances!

Nope it is a Macel, which is almost a newmarket color. It is a great cross country saddle, really helps keep the leg steady on the youngsters over the larger fences.

I do think the Hunter Derbys look like fun though. Could take my upper level event prospects in them for a change of pace for them. Hmm I have never tried to be pretty over fences, effective yes:yes:

Gray Horse H/J
Apr. 25, 2009, 04:47 PM
Very cute! I love TBs, and I especially love the kick-along quiet ones. :) I love riding a quiet hunter, I would most likely pee my pants if I looked at an event course!

Good luck with him!

Couture TB
Apr. 25, 2009, 04:51 PM
Well if you guys that are in the midwest area see a horse at the shows at Lamp Light this summer named New York Cat with a rider that is eyeing up picknick tables and such as possible jumps that would be me, the eventer, on the 'wild' TB stallion:lol:

mvp
Apr. 26, 2009, 08:50 AM
Did he come from Finger Lakes track in Central NY?

Just curious. Long ago a picture of one listed on their sales website that looks like him and had the kind eye of a hunter. Now I can't remember his name. I'd just like to know if I can judge a hunter book by its cover.

PM me if you think this information should be classified!

Congrats on your nice horse. He looks like a natural, rhythmic cruiser of a horse. Don't "waste" him on eventing!

Couture TB
Apr. 26, 2009, 11:06 AM
Did he come from Finger Lakes track in Central NY?

Just curious. Long ago a picture of one listed on their sales website that looks like him and had the kind eye of a hunter. Now I can't remember his name. I'd just like to know if I can judge a hunter book by its cover.

PM me if you think this information should be classified!

Congrats on your nice horse. He looks like a natural, rhythmic cruiser of a horse. Don't "waste" him on eventing!

He came from North Carolina or somewhere around there. Actually got him from a girl who gets the 'at risk' horses from the track and lets them have let down time.

Don't "wate"him on eventing:lol: Isn't this funny? I have him who I kinda own part of to train and show (and am PRAYING that he decideds to be an eventer) and a 3yr 16.3h Oldenburg that SCREAMS hunter (no way around that on him) that I have to start for a friend after I heal from surgery, and I keep on going "more hunters!?" :lol:

Myself, I prefer my horses more on the fire breathing side that want to jump the bigger xc jumps:D

sopha
Apr. 26, 2009, 01:43 PM
You trade hime to me! I have a fabulous horse that tells me he wants to be an event horse!! No sense to make mine a hunter, when he has dressage tests to do and cross country jumps to jump!!

Justice
Apr. 26, 2009, 02:18 PM
To let the horse choose his career. Just think of all of the hunters out there who spend HOURS on the end of a lunge when they would be brilliant event horses. Another poster is on to something with the trade idea!

He is darling, BTW. We need some freejump pictures!

Couture TB
Apr. 26, 2009, 03:31 PM
After I have surgery on Tuesday (hoping to be back in the saddle in a day or so) going to start working him over trotting poles and cavaletties. His canter to the left is really nice, but he needs work at the canter to the right and I am waiting to do that until our gallop field dries out enough to do long gallops with him. Our indoor is to small to really do a lot of canter work with him to the right, he can do it, but it is just not that fair to him since he is a bit unbalanced.

If we do any free jumping with him I will make sure to post some photos:)

Yup. They choose their jobs. No sense in making them do something that they don't enjoy. If they want to be dressage horses then that is what they are etc.

No idea on if he decides to be a hunter * I know he pretty much has :lol:* On if he will be shown and then be stood at stud or sold. Only time will tell.

billiebob
Apr. 26, 2009, 08:49 PM
Wow, doesn't it suck to have that option? :):):):):)

He's very cute. He might perk up more after a few xc sessions, you never know.

Couture TB
Apr. 26, 2009, 09:47 PM
Wow, doesn't it suck to have that option? :):):):):)

He's very cute. He might perk up more after a few xc sessions, you never know.

Ah yes, I know I have such a horrible bunch of horses to choose from :lol:

A TB stallion who may or may not be an eventer or hunter but is as sweet as can be, bred to the nines, and easy to work with. A WB stallion (ride him don't own him!) that can free jump over 5 1/2ft that is drop dead beautiful who has the movement of an FEI dressage horse. Another WB stallion (ride don't own) that is stunning and will make an upper level dressage horse, who is a pussy cat. A TB gelding (hay I own half of him!) that is a true **** prospect for eventing. A Premium Oldenburg gelding (own half of him!) that will stop most people in their tracks when they watch him go, he is off to a GP dressage trainer right now till I recover from surgery since he is for sale.
Oh and my pick of WB weanlings any year I want. Horrible horsie situation that I have:lol:

Now if only my health would get better (it is, but slowly). Oh and the horse market could pick up so that I could make money again! ;)

liznmark
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:50 AM
Here is the link to his bloodlines http://www.pedigreequery.com/new+york+cat

So many similar names in his bloodlines as our dressage mount has..

Determined Bidder http://www.pedigreequery.com/determined+bidder (http://www.pedigreequery.com/determined+bidder2)

Couture TB
May. 5, 2009, 04:14 PM
Ok. So I give up. I jumped him today, well not really jumped just did 2ft cavalleties. Calm, same pace, just point and go. Did it all on a loose rein with a loop in it to let him set his own pace. Well his own pace is calm and easy going. I have given up. He is not an eventer. Going to make a nice 3'6 4ft horse though as I couldn't even tell that he was even doing anything with the 2ft.

Tini Sea Soldier
May. 5, 2009, 04:19 PM
HAHA... and this is a bad thing beccaauuussse????? LOL... enjoy your sane brain TB and stop making the rest of us jealous! :winkgrin:

Couture TB
May. 5, 2009, 04:23 PM
Because now he will be trained up and sold off. No room in the eventing stable for the hunter boy:( Was really hoping that he would be an upper level event prospect, but he will make a very flashy quiet hunter. Will keep him a stallion until he goes up for sale though.

Couture TB
May. 5, 2009, 07:07 PM
For the few of you that mentioned that you had other horse's of the same breeding, what are they like over fences form wise etc?