PDA

View Full Version : Current online advertising sources for selling horses

Beenthere
Apr. 24, 2009, 03:11 PM
I know that traditions ebb and flow so where are you all finding are the best places for online advertisements for selling horses of reasonable quality. Not getting much luck with Bigeq nor Equine.com

kellyb
Apr. 24, 2009, 03:15 PM
dreamhorse.com - had a lot of hits on that website when selling, and found a lot of nice prospects when buying.

jenm
Apr. 24, 2009, 03:36 PM
Love this new site:

http://www.sellthehorse.com/

shawneeAcres
Apr. 24, 2009, 04:40 PM
I am going to say in response to this question, something that I often say but bears repeating. I market quite a lot of horses every year. Some of my own and quite a few for other clients. I use Horsetopia, Equine.com, Dreamhorse, and Warmbloods-for-sale.com. I find I probably get jsut about as many inquiries from one site as another. However, what is SO IMPORTANT, that many buyers fail to realize is to "have your ducks in a row" prior to even advertising. You need 1) GOOD photos! Bad photos are MUCH WORSE than none at all! If you aren't sure if a photo is good for advertising ASK some knowledgeable people before puttin it on the net! I like to have at least one good Conformation shot, a few good flat photos, usually at the trot, and some good jumping photos. Emphasis on GOOD here! If it is a site where you only can put ONE photo ALWAYS pick a riding shot (for horses that are under saddle) and always pick a jumping pic for horses going over fences. After the person inquires you can send them other pics, conformation etc. 2) have a GOOD video that is NOT too long. If the site has the option to include a video with your ad DO IT! It is WELL worth the money. The video should be SHORT, about 3:00 or so. Show all three gaits, trot and canter both ways, a transtion or two is nice, show a lead change if the horse has one both ways and show some GOOD jumping footage. You do NOT need or want LOTS of any of this, the video is designed to get the person interested, show them enough to make them want to see more! You can always have longer videos showing more that you give them after they inquire. HAVE the videos on the INTERNET. People want to see it NOW, they don't want to wait for DVD's or God forbid videotapes! 3) Do a GOOD writeup, if you don't know how to ask someone who does. It needs to give necessary info but NOT TOO MUCH in the ad. However, don't make it SO short that it doesn't cover the important things about the horse. So many people simply cannot write up ads! 4) BE PROACTIVE, answer inquiries RIGHT AWAY, people do NOT want to wait a week to hear back from you. I check my email multiple times daily and send a response as soon as I can. Even if the first repsonse is "Sorry I am busy at this moment but when I get to the house tonight I will send you a more detailed email answering your questions" type of reply lets the person know you got the inquiry. You have to do all of these to SUCCESSFULLY market your horse. If you aren't able or willing to do so, send your horse to a pro. People keep saying how tough sales are right now and I will admit they have been a little slow, but I have been selling horses regularly, several per month all winter long. And it is the attention to detail and giving the buyer what they want to see quickly, and preferably up front prior to them asking that makes ALL the difference.

Barbara_F
Apr. 25, 2009, 09:01 AM
Barnmice allows members to post listing for sales horses in their free classifieds. You can also post photos, videos and listing on your own profile page there. Not primarily a horse sales site, but tons of traffic and a very good supplementary way of marketing a horse because people can contact you on site and you can discuss the horses you've posted.
www.barnmice.com

Van Gogh
Apr. 25, 2009, 10:03 AM
I have used all of those everyone has talked about. Also we have used The Exchange. They definitely are worth the money! It isn't worth it unless you have a show horse that has shown or is currently showing but they are great. They do the online thing plus do a TON of print advertising. Without calling them they will automatically update if your horse won/ was champion/ reserve champion/ ribboned at a big show etc but the following week on their website.
They tell you where the horses are going to show- they say if there are several of the same type of horse (that they are advertising) at a show or show series. We just got a huge packet of charts and such on how many times our ad had been viewed and a ton of other data.

I'm big into marketing and I have been very happy with The Exchange. Now they haven't sold our pony yet :cry: but they have been done their job- market just sucks for small ponies right now!

Figment
Apr. 27, 2009, 04:35 PM
Do the online sales sources have to list if a horse has a problem?

dags
Apr. 29, 2009, 10:27 PM
First off, thanks Van Gogh :) Wasn't it interesting to apply black & white/real world data to the process?

Do the online sales sources have to list if a horse has a problem?

This is an interesting question- it initially struck me as odd, at best, though given the very broad definition of what could constitute a 'problem', I decided it is something that could be asked quite harmlessly.

The simplest answer is no, advertising and disclosure are two separate parts of the sale process. That said, I can really only think of one national site that does not give complete control to the Sellers to create copy and content, and that is mine. So for most sales sites this decision is entirely in your hands.

For our site, and how I handle it: Sellers fill out an extensive questionnaire, and we drag far more information out of them than they would think to put in an ad they created. I would say I use 60% of that information in the ads, the remainder is used to help evaluate Buyers.

Example: A problem could be a Ch. hunter that stops at the weak ride to the long spot at 3', but is a packing fool for 2'6" and under. I have yet to come up with the copy that can explain that upfront without making the horse look like an evil beast. So I would advertise him as capable of 3' to reach the largest possible audience, and then screen my Buyer from there, ideally wielding out a x-bar/short stirrup kid. Most preferably one that doesn't ride weak to the long spot. They may very well get a 3' career out of him after a 2 year partnership.

No horse is perfect- even our really, really nice ones. But that's okay, because Buyer's aren't perfect either. The point is to find the right balance, the right combination, and the right match. All advertising is supposed to do is give you the largest possible pool to select from. Beyond that there is so much more to still be done.

mep0726
Apr. 29, 2009, 11:31 PM
I have found that horseclicks.com has been helpful when I have bought or sold horses. And photo ads are free :)

camohn
Apr. 30, 2009, 08:25 AM
I have done pretty well by Equine and Dreamhorse. No luck with AgDirect unless it was one of the Paints/QHs. AD seems to attract more of a Western crowd.
As to the flaw question: I DO post if the horse has a problem. If it is something someone refuses to deal with from the get go I don't want to waste their time or mine mailing DVDs etc. For example I have one that his hock won't xray out clean but he goes perfectly sound/has never taken a lame step. The ad says just that: horse will not xray out clean but goes perfectly sound/xray available/inquire for details.
I agree with the above that having a good picture and well thought out text is important. I can't tell you how many ads I see with a bad to mediocre photo and text that says "nice hunter prospect".

briddygirl
Apr. 30, 2009, 09:13 AM
if you are located in VA you can post a free ad on http://www.virginiaequestrian.com

French Twist
Apr. 30, 2009, 09:57 PM
I know that traditions ebb and flow so where are you all finding are the best places for online advertisements for selling horses of reasonable quality. Not getting much luck with Bigeq nor Equine.com

I run Bigeq... and have been trying to sell my eq/hunter for the last five months. I obviously use my own site to list. Both the feedback from my customers as well as my own experience trying to sell my horse have proven the market to be very slow. My horse would normally probably sell within 3-6 months in my area (Northeast) being a good boy at what he does, sound, and a good age, show experience, etc. Instead, I've had him at two very reputable sales barns, and few of their horses were moving, including him. I've also not gotten much luck on my own site (though my trainers take all the inquiries).

I have had some positive feedback from sellers in the last month who've made sales, and I hope this means the market may pick up, though spring and early summer seems to be the quietest buying/selling time based on our website's stats over the last 10 years. Besides this I just don't think people are spending money. And it's far broader than the horse industry.

I'd like to echo those who discussed putting up good photos/videos/descriptions. I cannot emphasize it enough. The internet allows for many, many nice horses to be "seen" side by side. You MUST make every effort to make your horse look the best (I do not, however, condone photoshopping of jump heights or other dishonest practices, and we ban it on Bigeq.com). Also, if you use the same photos/videos over and over, people remember them. If it's been 4-6 months, take a new photo and video, keep it fresh. Occasionally, we've gotten feedback from the angry customer who did not get any inquiries on their horse. Every time, *every* time when I checked the ad, the horse appeared unkempt or otherwise unattractive (bad jumping or confo pics, not groomed, etc), or it was a grainy video still which only shows a vague form jumping a fence. These sellers did not take responsibility for presenting their horse appropriately and competitively in the market. Bigeq.com provides a venue, as do other websites, magazines, etc., for selling, but ultimately the seller must present a product/horse that is desirable. The internet is amazing for providing exposure, but ultimately the product still must be good.

So good luck to you, and to us all! I know I'd like for the economy to start booming again, the horse market to really kickstart, and of course I'd like to sell my guy pretty badly! :)

dags
May. 1, 2009, 01:27 PM
I'd like to echo those who discussed putting up good photos/videos/descriptions. I cannot emphasize it enough. The internet allows for many, many nice horses to be "seen" side by side. You MUST make every effort to make your horse look the best (I do not, however, condone photoshopping of jump heights or other dishonest practices, and we ban it on Bigeq.com). Also, if you use the same photos/videos over and over, people remember them. If it's been 4-6 months, take a new photo and video, keep it fresh. Occasionally, we've gotten feedback from the angry customer who did not get any inquiries on their horse. Every time, *every* time when I checked the ad, the horse appeared unkempt or otherwise unattractive (bad jumping or confo pics, not groomed, etc), or it was a grainy video still which only shows a vague form jumping a fence. These sellers did not take responsibility for presenting their horse appropriately and competitively in the market. Bigeq.com provides a venue, as do other websites, magazines, etc., for selling, but ultimately the seller must present a product/horse that is desirable. The internet is amazing for providing exposure, but ultimately the product still must be good.

Thank you!

I feel redundant when I say it, but it clearly needs to be restated. I refused media from 8 horses for our last DVD, which seriously affects our bottom line. But, I absolutely knew the horses would be ignored with the video submitted, and the Sellers would perceive it as a flaw in the service, which is not the case. The horses were not refused, merely the videos. They're all out showing and obtaining proper footage now. Their files are here and ready to go, but there's no since in taking their money until they give me a decent video to promote. This is why we handle all copy and content- a handful of bad pictures (typos, spelling errors, etc) can ruin the presentation of our entire product.

BigEq.com is a fantastic site and we advertise all of our horses there. It is the only other site we advertise on because I believe it is the only other location on the web where you will consistently find quality, A Circuit, show-ring-ready horses, and similarly the traffic we receive from BigEq is equally as consistent.

As for market, I don't know- I've got a very healthy number of big $ buyers in contact, and I've sent a slew of people to Sellers that recently dropped prices into 20s/30s/40s. The mid-high 5 range number seems a bit lighter than normal and I am not surprised by that- Mid-high 5 fig Buyers of the past decade were probably living a bit beyond their means, and they've been hit and hurt. But as always, the high end buyer is still there, and so is the smart Buyer that will put down a fair chunk of change on a good horse, which is a lot of the 40-50k crowd. In 30s and under parents are still buying ponies and horses for their darling daughters, and that will never change either. In the numbers Van Gogh mentioned the amount of pages viewed and time spent on our site by each user has gone up steadily since January, and our april stats show we had an 18% increase in visits over march. So, so far everything seems to point a readjusted, but slowly recovering market.