PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Average Fee For A USEF "r" Judge?

katie16
Apr. 24, 2009, 12:10 PM
Wondering if anyone knows what the USEF "r" judges are getting these days? Looking just for judging per day fees (not motel, meals, etc.).

Pirateer
Apr. 24, 2009, 12:46 PM
My favorite judge, who calls himself a "cheap judge" goes for $300/day.

ideayoda
Apr. 24, 2009, 02:11 PM
For an 'r'???? In some places (where there are alot of judges) they will do it for the travel, or plus $100; where there are fewer that is still alot imho. Negotiate for your area.

MHM
Apr. 24, 2009, 02:26 PM
$100/day?!?!

I got paid more than that to judge short schooling shows before I got my 'r' about 20 years ago.

I've had a big 'R' for quite a while, but I would say $350-400 a day plus expenses for a decent 'r' these days.

Quartergirl
Apr. 24, 2009, 04:21 PM
$100.00 per day is an insult. The ring crew gets at least that. $300 per day plus expenses, maybe more if your are on the West or East coasts.

mroades
Apr. 24, 2009, 10:51 PM
350 to 400

katie16
Apr. 25, 2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks everyone!

I actually don't need an "r" judge, but wanted the info for comparison as they are "the next step up" from what I need.

I am looking for a judge for a schooling show (totally unrated and 80% of the classes are at the Short Stirrup level or below and nothing is above 2'9"). I have been looking at local lower level professionals (many of the upper level pros already have a card of one size or another and/or are way too busy), as well as some good amateur competitiors. Some of these uncarded people have gotten excited at the prospect of judging, but are balking at $300 for the day. The day starts late and usually ends early - it's usually around a 5-6 hr show.

Just wondering how far off my offer was . . .

MHM
Apr. 25, 2009, 09:06 AM
OP, sounds pretty reasonable to me for a short day and a judge with no card.

People need to realize there is some expense involved in getting and maintaining a USEF card. I'm still scratching my head at the idea of paying $100 a day for any judge, let alone a USEF 'r' judge.

Vandy
Apr. 25, 2009, 10:36 AM
Some of these uncarded people have gotten excited at the prospect of judging, but are balking at $300 for the day. The day starts late and usually ends early - it's usually around a 5-6 hr show.

Personally, I think $300 is more than fair for that - I pay $150 for what sounds like pretty much the same thing, and I've had no trouble finding local professionals who are happy to judge for me. I'd expect to pay more in a more active area than mine, but not that much more! Remember, we're talking about an easy day. I've also judged locally for the same rate - good experience for someone who like to get a card someday.

NEIGH-HAM
Apr. 25, 2009, 10:55 AM
This is a Canadian amount.

I was paid $175 TO $200. for judging schooling shows.

Some were 5 hours, some were 8, and they all fed me well:D

Midge
Apr. 25, 2009, 03:26 PM
For an 'r'???? In some places (where there are alot of judges) they will do it for the travel, or plus $100; where there are fewer that is still alot imho. Negotiate for your area.

Criminy!!! I was getting $200 for a short schooling show ten years ago!!

Blinky
Apr. 25, 2009, 03:37 PM
I'm with Midge. I used to get $100 to do a one day schooling show and this was about 20 years ago.

Jumper6252
Apr. 25, 2009, 07:40 PM
$100/day?!?!

I got paid more than that to judge short schooling shows before I got my 'r' about 20 years ago.

That's what I was thinking I know that at my barn for schooling shows the judge gets $100

Wanderluster
Apr. 25, 2009, 09:46 PM
Your shows sound similar to mine. I have been fortunate to have a few really good friends that have a wealth of knowledge and a willingness to officiate. I have been offering a pittance of $200 a day. It really doesn't represent the money that they are worth and many have insisted on donating their time and talent. Offering a carded judge $100 for their time is a bit of an insult if you ask me regardless of the class size and hours work, but some areas may have a different idea of what is fair. :confused:

chunky munky
Apr. 26, 2009, 11:16 AM
I don't think that you will find too many carded judges jumping at the chance to officiate for $100...unless its maybe their mother's horse show...:-)

MHM
Apr. 26, 2009, 11:46 AM
...unless its maybe their mother's horse show...:-)

And even then- the mom better make their favorite thing for lunch! :lol:

chunky munky
Apr. 26, 2009, 12:10 PM
True dat!! And she better be leaving you the farm in her will:lol::lol:

chawley
Apr. 26, 2009, 03:15 PM
We have 'r' judges reguarly at our farm shows and they run about $300-350/day, plus expenses.

katie16
Apr. 26, 2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks again everyone! I really cannot financially offer more than the $300. Classes are only $8-$10 a piece to enter and I still have to pay the secretary and paddock master too! Fortunately my jump crew is a volunteer group of older juniors who do the upper levels at the rated shows. However, I run a tab at the food booth that feeds EVERYONE (paid staff or volunteer) - and I don't give them a food/drink bill limit either!

I was just surprised at those who were balking. I know in some of their real professional lives they may make more than $300 for a day, but if I can get an "r" judge for not much more, I am not sure how in the horse world they can justify asking for more (particularly with little judging experience). I think they are simply comparing what they normally make for a day's pay with my offer. So at least now I can have a little backup information for them on what the judges "in the real world" make.