PDA

View Full Version : Which Oil? Corn, Canola, Rice bran, Vegetable

JLR1
Apr. 23, 2009, 07:45 PM
Is there a difference in oils, and if so, which is the best in terms of absorption etc. I am currently using vegetable oil for added calories. Thanks!

Sebastian
Apr. 23, 2009, 08:04 PM
If you're looking for "fat", I like rice bran. It's so much easier than oil and works just as well IMHO.
Seb :)

Simkie
Apr. 23, 2009, 08:07 PM
I prefer cocosoya oil for palatability and omega 3/omega 6 balance. But it is costly and you must have it shipped.

For general grocery store oil, canola has the best omega 3/omega 6 balance.

All oils have the same number of calories and should be absorbed the same. They're all FAT.

I've found oil far more effective than rice bran etc for adding weight. It's definitely more calories per cup.

IsolaBella09
Apr. 23, 2009, 08:11 PM
I like grocery store vegetable oil in my horse's feed to add a little extra fat and a slick, shiny coat to him. It doesn't make him hot, like corn oil can. It's worked wonders on him.

Mrs. Cowboy
Apr. 23, 2009, 08:16 PM
It's cheap and an easy way to get his recommended fat for an EPSM diet.

saddleup
Apr. 23, 2009, 08:26 PM
How much oil are you adding for weight gain? I've got a skinny geriatric gelding, and it's a constant struggle to keep weight on him.

Simkie
Apr. 23, 2009, 08:36 PM
I add up to one cup twice a day.

ThoroughbredFancy
Apr. 23, 2009, 08:59 PM
I feed Canola oil or Vegetable oil. For the past few months it's been Canola.

I feed up to one cup twice a day as well.

I think my horse benefits from it and rice bran never really helped him at all.

I find that Vegetable oil or Canola oil are the most cost effective.

3 is the limit
Apr. 24, 2009, 01:18 AM
I use up to 1 cup of corn oil a day on my 15 year old WB gelding and my 5 year old TB. I was hoping the corn would 'light them up' (I guess a common worry with corn oil) but it seems to have not made any difference.
I was using rice bran originally, but it was expensive and not keeping them as fat or with such a nice coat.

2DaPoint
Apr. 24, 2009, 09:02 AM
A good friend of mine has done a lot of research into fat for her not-quite EPSM mare, and Canola oil was the clear winner. Cheap, fatty, scrumptious for the horse......

deltawave
Apr. 24, 2009, 09:09 AM
Calorie-wise, they are all virtually identical, so if that's what you are looking for, try whatever is easy and inexpensive. :)

Rice bran has quite a bit of fat, but also a lot of protein, carbs, and other stuff--it is really not JUST a fat supplement. Ounce for ounce, liquid oil is the way to go for pure calories.

Villager
Apr. 24, 2009, 09:23 AM
Black Oil sunflower Seeds-help keep old Tb and hot pony in good weight and a beautiful coat.
Horses love it. google it to research.

briddygirl
Apr. 24, 2009, 12:49 PM
I just attended last evening, a seminar on nutrition put on by Broad Run Vets in Bluemont, VA ---- I wasn't going to go b/c I thought it was going to be a "sales job" by a particular brand of horse feed....but I went anyways....it was the best seminar I've attended ....i learned a lot and the man who spoke...last name Pugh, forgot 1st name, was very intelligent and very entertaining! He did talk about oils and he said the best were, ranked from top to bottom are: soybean oil, flaxseed oil, linseed oil...he also said olive oil was good (but expensive)....these oils are good for adding extra omega 3s......only need 1 oz. --- he wasn't impressed w/ just plain vegetable oil....was okay but doesn't do much.....he kept impressing upon how great soybean oil was....you can get it at Costco or Sam's, etc.

lizajane09
Apr. 24, 2009, 07:53 PM
I prefer cocosoya oil for palatability and omega 3/omega 6 balance. But it is costly and you must have it shipped.

Actually, many tack/feed shops now carry Cocosoya oil so you won't necessarily need to get it shipped. Also, with the current price of corn oil in the grocery store, Cocosoya bought in bulk at a feed store ends up being about the same price/even slightly less. I use it in conjunction with rice bran for my EPSM mare who is also an OTTB and very hard to keep weight on, it definitely does the job.

Flash44
Apr. 25, 2009, 08:41 PM
Most generic just plain vegetable oils ARE soybean oil. If you look at the list of ingredients, it will specify what type of oil it is. Giant's Vegetable Oil is soybean oil.

HoofHeartSoul
Apr. 25, 2009, 09:56 PM
ok your going to hate me... but

i will list the pro's and cons i have heard...they ALL have them.

Corn oil: Con's; goes rancid QUICKLY is most of the time out of the bottle and is sent to factory to add corn smell to cover rancid smell, more omega 6's than 3's Pro's : CHEAP,palatable/most horses eat it willingly

Canola: Con's- there is some controversy over the health benefits of canola, Pro's- higher omega 3's than 6's, still reasonably priced

Rice Bran Oil - Con's- Rice bran has been found to have HIGH arsenic content, little more expensive than others, . Pro's-palatable,and not as expensive as flax lol

Vegatable/soybean oil: Con's: made of soy which some horses react too ( although they think soybean OIL MIGHT be safe, i have still heard of reactions), Pro's: palatable,cheap,easy to find.

Flax: MY FAVE Con's - EXPENSIVE!!! higher phosphorus content than flaz making the ratio inverted, depending on what you feed. Pro's - excellent omega 3 -6 ratio,

there are pro's and con's to all of them.

touchstone-
Apr. 26, 2009, 09:24 AM
I just attended last evening, a seminar on nutrition put on by Broad Run Vets in Bluemont, VA ---- I wasn't going to go b/c I thought it was going to be a "sales job" by a particular brand of horse feed....but I went anyways....it was the best seminar I've attended ....i learned a lot and the man who spoke...last name Pugh, forgot 1st name, was very intelligent and very entertaining! He did talk about oils and he said the best were, ranked from top to bottom are: soybean oil, flaxseed oil, linseed oil...he also said olive oil was good (but expensive)....these oils are good for adding extra omega 3s......only need 1 oz. --- he wasn't impressed w/ just plain vegetable oil....was okay but doesn't do much.....he kept impressing upon how great soybean oil was....you can get it at Costco or Sam's, etc.

This is interesting since I find that 95% of the time I buy vegetable oil--for popcorn, not horses, in my case--the sole ingredient is soybean oil.

FWIW: I feed my oil-eating horse corn oil. Cheapest in my area, and he likes it, which is rare for Mr. Picky. I'm in the calories-are-calories camp and am not so hung up on Omega ratios, etc.

sid
Apr. 26, 2009, 10:41 AM
If memory serves me correctly, rice bran is only about 30% fat. Liquid oils are 100% fat, that's why oil is more effective in delivering max calories from fat. Also more cost effective than rice bran.

Full Stride
Apr. 26, 2009, 11:03 AM
I had been feeding corn oil on the advice of my vet and found that ANTS just love it and converged on the stall in force to pick up whatever she dripped. It was a mess. Wonder would I have the same reaction with vegetable oil?

Villager
Apr. 26, 2009, 11:12 AM
Dressage Junkie- what or did you find pros and cons with Black Oil Sunflower seeds? I know they are 90% fat, contain Omega 6 rather that Omega 3.

I do combine this with ground flax seed- needless to say weight for the oldies stays up and their coat sheen is to die for.

ladipus
Apr. 26, 2009, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=JLR1;4044803]Is there a difference in oils, and if so, which is the best in terms of absorption etc. I am currently using vegetable oil for added calories. Thanks![/QUOlTE]

For added calories in the form of oil....Triple Crown Rice Bran Oil Plus is excellent for adding cool calories...its a blend or rice bran,flax,and corn oil w/ a nice blend of the omega 3&6's ...you can check it out on the triple crown website

RnR
Apr. 27, 2009, 12:03 AM
I've always wondered this, Thanks for posting it!

But as for my personal experience, I have found Corn oil worked the best for putting pounds on my TB and giving his coat a shine.

I started off with vegetable oil for about 2 months, and there wasn't a single change. He didn't even look like he porked up a pound. So the next time I was at the grocery store, I bought Corn oil, wondering if it really made a difference. Man did it ever. Within 2 weeks he had gained enough weight to put meat over his ribs, and he shed out his winter coat immediately. That was on just one cup a day.

Could be coincidence, could be from the corn oil. Sure seems like it was from the corn oil though!

And I have heard of it making some horses a little feisty, but if you knew my TB, he could use a little less ego, a little more forward movement, haha. He is pretty cocky and likes to just walk all bowed up for the ladies, but is painfully lazy. Unfortunately, the corn oil did not fire him up for work and get his mind off himself at all, lol. At least he looks pretty though.. right:lol:?

unclewiggly
Apr. 27, 2009, 08:20 AM
Does anyone have a definative amount based on research?
I was always told more than a 1/4 cup of corn oil a day in feed was just a waste. They can only absorb so much and the rest just goes out the back door as waste.
I personally love Fat Cat and the products w/ Gamma oryzonol.

MissKatie
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:18 PM
^ I am not sure why they would not be able to absorb more than that a day. A calorie is a calorie and will be digested. Some vitamins in excess will be excreted, but fat calories will be broken down.