PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a used saddle that looked like this?

Ready2Ride
Apr. 23, 2009, 06:38 PM
http://i23.ebayimg.com/05/i/001/44/24/4b8d_1.JPG

Would you buy a used saddle that looked like this underneath? I have never seen a saddle like this before, is it all cosmetic, or could it affect the use of the saddle in any way? Is something like this fixable, or would you stay away, or just use it as is? How would a saddle even get like this???
Thanks

ToesIn
Apr. 23, 2009, 06:43 PM
If it fit my horse and the price was right I wouldn't mind too much. It's not fixable but it's definitely just cosmetic (and not noticeable when you're in the tack). Probably caused by lack of care.

Ready2Ride
Apr. 23, 2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks, I already own the exact same saddle and I know it fits my horses. I am looking for a second one since my horses are hard to fit and I know this model fits them. Then my daughter and i won't have to share a saddle. hehe. maybe we can even ride together! I don't want to get it if there is more wrong than surface marks, you know. Also was wanting to make sure even if i don't get it that I can prevent that happening to the one I already have. I love that saddle and would be mad if i did something wrong to it and caused that to happen to it. I've never seen anything like that before.

SCMJ
Apr. 23, 2009, 07:19 PM
Just make sure the tree is sound before you buy it...often when someone has not taken care of the saddle and it looks in poor shape, there is much more wrong with it than simply cosmetic faults.

Renn/aissance
Apr. 23, 2009, 07:20 PM
Old Crosby, is it? If the tree is sound it wouldn't bother me.

brummelhorsefarm
Apr. 23, 2009, 07:52 PM
I have a VERY old Butet for schooling that has what you pictured as well as a ripped seat. I honestly cant tell the difference between it and my show saddle when I am riding!

IsolaBella09
Apr. 23, 2009, 08:03 PM
If the saddle fit my horse and I, tree was solid, and it was at a good price, then yes I would buy it. I've seen this a few times. It comes from people not taking care of their tack. Not cleaning and oiling saddles regularly and well can result in these cracks along the bottom.

BeastieSlave
Apr. 23, 2009, 08:23 PM
Old Crosby, is it? If the tree is sound it wouldn't bother me.

That's what I thought when I fist saw the picture - looks familiar ;)
I've seen plenty of older saddles with some crackling underneath (I've even bought a couple), though not many that bad. Still, if you know the saddle will work, the price is right, and the tree is sound, I'd get it.

HARROLDhasmyheart
Apr. 23, 2009, 08:37 PM
So long as it's just cosmetic, and it's not some kind of rot that could affect a wooden tree, then go for it! It's on the underside of the saddle, and unless horseshows have changed the rules and now inspect the bottom of your saddle before pinning the class, you should be fine :)

mcm7780
Apr. 23, 2009, 08:39 PM
Looks similar to the underside of one of my older saddles: little cracks and sweat stains. It's never caused me any problems. As long as the cracks aren't split all the way, you should be fine. Even if they are split all the way through the leather, you should be able to patch it up and still have a usable saddle.

Ready2Ride
Apr. 23, 2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks!

Seven-up
Apr. 23, 2009, 10:54 PM
If you're talking about the cracks, it should be fine. They are usually just surface cracks, from dried sweat. A lot of people don't oil the bottom of their saddles, so the leather gets dry, wrinkles and cracks.

Most old saddles have these if you flip them over. Mine does, and it's in fantastic shape.

Vandy
Apr. 24, 2009, 05:07 PM
I have an ancient Hermes that never looked like that when I lived in NE, but when I moved out west where it is very dry, that happened almost overnight...and I took very good care of that saddle. So it may also have something to do with dryness/humidity. If the saddle was reasonably priced and otherwise in good shape it wouldn't bother me a bit.

Marcella
Apr. 24, 2009, 07:06 PM
My Hermes has looked like that for about 10 yrs now. I don't know why it did that because I clean it religiously, but it hasn't affected anything, and hasn't split to the point the flocking comes out.
My saddle has been great, despite the appearance of that on the underside.