PDA

View Full Version : Double Stall vs. Stall-and-a-Half at show?

OneMoreTime
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:25 PM
Hi!
I have a tall OTTB who just won't lie down in a standard 10x10 show stall, so I'm going to order 2 stalls for him during our next week-long away show. As I understand it, they can be configured either as a double (10x20) stall, or a 1 1/2 stall (10x15), with the other half open for storage, for someone else to use as a 1/2 stall, etc.

I will pay for both stalls, so how the space is used really isn't a $ issue.

I am wondering if there are any drawbacks to just doing the double-wide stall? I know it will require 2x the shavings & more mucking, but is there anything else? Is this space too big for a 17hh+ gelding? He is pretty gregarious and playful, so I don't want him doing anything sillier than usual!

Thanks in advance for your advice.:)

sopha
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:30 PM
I had a horse that was a giant (17.3) who would not lie down in a small stall. I would do a stall and a third, which made him happy. I loved having the left over space as a place to keep the hay, grain, and equipment.

heartinrye
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:31 PM
My 18.1 Horse and my trainers 18.2 GP horse split a 3rd stall between the two.
We have a woman who always get 2 stalls for her horses (they don't need the space...) and they are able to have enough room to charge their neighbors... which usually doesn't end well...

phoenix mom
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:36 PM
When we are at a two week show with limited turnout we all take 1 1/2 stalls. It is a pain to reset the stalls when you get there but I think the horses are more comfortable and they seem to really stretch out when they sleep. It doesn't take a lot more shavings and a happy horse is worth it. We had one nervous horse show with our barn last year at one of the bigger shows and he was back and forth all day, with the added room it drove us nuts and he went back to a single width.

HunterJumper106
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:56 PM
Using a stall and a half is nice because it gives more room and also gives some storage area but it is a PAIN to move the stall divider etc.

If your buying the 2 stalls and your trainer/barn already has a tack room then just use the 2 stalls for your big boy and don't mess with moving everything around.

meupatdoes
Apr. 23, 2009, 03:26 PM
I am really glad to hear that it is possible to do a stall and a half.
I was thinking about this and worrying that moving the stall divider to a 'half' position wouldn't be possible.

Is it necessary to check with show management first or is it basically always possible in standard show stalls?

My guys currently live in 12 x 14 stalls at home so a 10 x 10 would have them looking at me like, "Um.....excuuuuuse us??? What is this, your room?"

I would love to be able to split three stalls between two horses.

heartinrye
Apr. 23, 2009, 03:29 PM
I was thinking about this and worrying that moving the stall divider to a 'half' position wouldn't be possible.

Is it necessary to check with show management first or is it basically always possible in standard show stalls?

My guys currently live in 12 x 14 stalls at home so a 10 x 10 would have them looking at me like, "Um.....excuuuuuse us??? What is this, your room?"

I do this all the time, just let management know who to bill!! It not that hard if you have an extra hand or to to help!

Lucassb
Apr. 24, 2009, 04:05 PM

My guy is pretty big also, so I know what you mean. ;)

It's almost always (physically) possible - the only time I've not been able to do it was when the show restricted the # of stalls you could have based on the number of horses you entered (VT.) Even then, you could still do it if you were willing to give up the tack room space.

It is a little tricky to describe how to do the 1/2 stall set up properly - get someone who knows how to show you what to do and you should have no problems.

findeight
Apr. 24, 2009, 05:04 PM
You can do it with most tent stalls but NOT with permanent barns. So it kind of depends on where you are showing. With entries down these days, some shows are just in permanent barns and not using tents or other portable set ups that can be modified.

Molly99
Apr. 24, 2009, 09:26 PM
Stall and a half is harder to do, but more secure. A double stall (just removing the divider) gives MUCH more play in the entire chain of stalls. If you go this route, make sure you bring some 2 x 4 to close the gap left by the missing piece. Also, lots of zip ties to tie them together. And don't forget to stake the pieces to the ground.

While it can be done and rather easy, to do it right, requires thought and planning.

Always remember that the stalls were designed to be in those sizes and removing parts can make things less stable for all the stalls.

justathought
Apr. 24, 2009, 09:45 PM
Also, remember that sometimes the tent poles are located in a place that makes deciding how to do the stall and a half interesting... or with two stall puts the tent poll right in the middle of the stall....

Always been able to do it... but it sometimes does that a little thought and planning

MissIndependence
Apr. 24, 2009, 10:45 PM
My biggest horse (almost 18H always get a stall and a half. I find that 2 complete stalls is almost more than required.....and the only time I do that is if nobody else will split it with me. We have a lovely and quite large conformation hunter in the barn and his Mom likes him to have one and a half as well so it works out,. If I have to do the 2 complete stalls myself, then I wind up just splitting the stall with one of my other horses so they can have a little condo as well :).