PDA

View Full Version : Would you braid? (Updated with pictures!)

Dirty Little Secret
Apr. 23, 2009, 12:16 PM
Scenario: kid's first horse show. She's showing in pre-short stirrup or short stirrup. She's asked me if I'd have her pony braided for her since it's her first show but show is schooling show. She just thinks that it's Madison Square Garden. Big deal for the kid and will be about a million pictures taken. Would you braid?

Hunter Mom
Apr. 23, 2009, 12:18 PM
If you have the time and can, go for it. The photos will be cute, kid will be happy. However, if she needs the mane to grab, maybe not. We don't normally braid for our local circuit shows.

OneMoreTime
Apr. 23, 2009, 12:20 PM
Yes, especially if it will enhance the pony's neck/head. I'm all for braiding, even at the smallest of schooling shows. I know not everyone agrees with this, but I think that the extra time/effort shows an added degree of respect for the horse, the judge and the rider. Good luck w/the show.

zahena
Apr. 23, 2009, 12:28 PM
I'm with HunterMom. I would braid if you have time, or if they want to pay extra for that service. If she needs something to hang onto, then no. In circuit shows you rarely see braiding so I don't think it's necessary, but your area may be different.

findeight
Apr. 23, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hey, what can it hurt if the kidlet wants to go the extra distance at her very first horse show ever.

Heck, to her is IS Madison Square Garden.

Best wishes and may she never, ever lose the awe of actually going to a horse show.

phoenix mom
Apr. 23, 2009, 12:39 PM
Take your own lunch from home and spend the money on braiding. Those pictures will last a lifetime. I treasure the pictures from my daughters first show and it was a local C beginners class. She won on her little med school pony and that pony was turned out good enough for WEF. Every show is important at that age and the pride shows. GO FOR IT!!!!

Giddy-up
Apr. 23, 2009, 12:39 PM
I agree it depends. If she needs the mane for holding I would say no. Otherwise why not? She's excited & there's going to be lots of pictures.

InWhyCee Redux
Apr. 23, 2009, 01:18 PM
How old is said child? If over 12, I can see my own DM saying, "There's the yarn, knock yourself out." :yes:

But, yes, definitely braid.

Mara
Apr. 23, 2009, 01:51 PM
If she needs a little mane to grab, just leave a kiddie-fistful sized chunk unbraided down by the withers. For a schooling show that's fine. That's what racetrack grooms do when they braid one of their charges: the jock has to have mane to grab when the horse breaks from the gate.

snaffle635
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:04 PM
Best wishes and may she never, ever lose the awe of actually going to a horse show.

Amen!

dab
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:13 PM
Is the pony saintly at shows or is he liable to toss her out of the tack a bit more than he might at home?

I think it would be nice to braid as long as you're comfortable with the child having no mane to grab --

billiebob
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:15 PM
I have also braided for a schooling show and I'm not a little kid!

If you have time, braid. It will make her first show even more special than it already is.

Renn/aissance
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:18 PM
Braid, and even better, let HER have a chunk of the mane to practice braiding on so she has a more active role in her pony's turnout for the show. Good luck to her!

bonstet
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:38 PM
I make all of my students learn to braid. Their first few shows, most look like ratty jobs, but they get the hang of it. When they've braided well (by my standards) three times, they don't have to braid for schooling shows anymore. So there's incentive to learn how to do it properly. Once they start doing rated shows, they can choose to braid themselves or have someone do it. So yes, braiding is great, but if you can teach her to do it on her own, even better.

AliCat
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:39 PM
Another fan of braiding here. I always did for schooling and 4-H shows (and did the braiding myself). The only time I didn't was actually at the rated shows where I was showing in what are considered low levels. I also agree with letting her try to do some of it herself.

She is obviously excited about this, so don't burst her bubble by saying that the show isn't worthy of that extra step in turnout. Start her out correctly and it will pay off down the road :winkgrin:

luvs2ridewbs
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:43 PM
braid!

HunterJumper106
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:49 PM
If she doesn't need to grab mane/you have the time/they are willing to pay it certainly will not hurt to braid. It will make the pictures look nice and it will be even more special to her/her family (especially if you tell her how big of a deal to braid it is and all the "big riders" do it:lol:)

Mo's Mom
Apr. 23, 2009, 03:00 PM
Braid if you can. The pictures will be so special. Leave a hand hold if needed. (I am braiding for a schooling show this weekend, I still love braids):)

Jealoushe
Apr. 23, 2009, 03:06 PM
Braid! Always :cool:

Dirty Little Secret
Apr. 23, 2009, 03:10 PM
geez- guess I'm braiding. Thought for sure my COTH people would say, don't waste your time... yada yada yada. Guess we all appreciate the pictures after all and the thrill of the first time! My trainer did braid for my shirt show too. And she is awfully cute!
Probably have the braider (or possibly me) come in overnight and braid so it'll be a surprise for her when she gets there!

AliCat
Apr. 23, 2009, 04:09 PM
geez- guess I'm braiding. Thought for sure my COTH people would say, don't waste your time... yada yada yada. Guess we all appreciate the pictures after all and the thrill of the first time! My trainer did braid for my shirt show too. And she is awfully cute!
Probably have the braider (or possibly me) come in overnight and braid so it'll be a surprise for her when she gets there!
:cool:

I am sure she will be thrilled.

Izthatrt
Apr. 23, 2009, 07:25 PM
Absolutely! Now we want pictures!

Dirty Little Secret
Apr. 23, 2009, 08:13 PM
lol- I'm sure first time show mom will be shooting like crazy! She too rides but has committed herself to full-time show mommy and no coaching. Only hugs and kisses! Hopefully will go smoothly but she is definitely excited! I'm even kind of giddy myself!

Dirty Little Secret
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:26 AM
ok so I decided not to braid, purely because I was going to have to do it myself and it was already a late night. But that was fine- not another soul was braided. Coats were waived (about 90 degrees and it's only April!)
Pictures:
She showed in pre-short stirrup on both her outgrown pony and her new horse.
http://erikolsenphotography.exposuremanager.com/p/pre_short_stirrup12/_eop020334
http://erikolsenphotography.exposuremanager.com/p/pre_short_stirrup12/_eop020436
http://erikolsenphotography.exposuremanager.com/p/pre_short_stirrup12/_eop022052
http://erikolsenphotography.exposuremanager.com/p/pre_short_stirrup12/_eop022153
http://erikolsenphotography.exposuremanager.com/p/pre_short_stirrup12/_eop022254
http://erikolsenphotography.exposuremanager.com/p/pre_short_stirrup12/_eop022356
http://erikolsenphotography.exposuremanager.com/p/pre_short_stirrup12/_eop022457
http://erikolsenphotography.exposuremanager.com/p/pre_short_stirrup12/_eop022558

The mom took many pictures of the braids in question and yes, they were cute!

GreystoneKC
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:33 AM
I have SO had those nights DLS!!
She looks adorable and I hope everyone had a great time!

Hunter Mom
Apr. 27, 2009, 09:37 AM
Cute! Thanks for sharing!

eqrider1234
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:41 PM
Wow they have pre-short stirrup? And she looks like she had fun :):)

Dirty Little Secret
Apr. 27, 2009, 01:58 PM
yes (schooling show) and it's a great division! The jumps are 18"

Giddy-up
Apr. 27, 2009, 02:16 PM
yes (schooling show) and it's a great division! The jumps are 18"

Very cute! :yes:

Wow--your "pre" SS is our regular SS. What does your SS have to do??

Dirty Little Secret
Apr. 27, 2009, 03:24 PM
short stirrup is 2'

Andrew
Apr. 27, 2009, 04:14 PM
When in doubt ALWAYS BRAID!!!!

Scenario: kid's first horse show. She's showing in pre-short stirrup or short stirrup. She's asked me if I'd have her pony braided for her since it's her first show but show is schooling show. She just thinks that it's Madison Square Garden. Big deal for the kid and will be about a million pictures taken. Would you braid?