View Full Version : When you never actually owned the pony..

Apr. 23, 2009, 01:00 PM
I used to ride at a sale barn. The trainer would go to the auction and bring back bunches of horses and ponies. I was well liked there because I was small enough to ride the ponies, yet had a good enough seat to were they couldn't get me off. I didn't like any of the ponies. They were bad on the ground, under saddle, and over fences was just plain crazy. I wasn't happy with anything I had ridden, until I started riding a little paint mare.

The first day I got on her, we did flatwork. She continuously tried to run into the fence, she had no steering what so ever. After the ride was over, the trainer was amazed at how well she had done. I didn't understand, I had thought she was awful, then the trainer told me it was the first time she had ever had a saddle on her back. I continued to ride her for months, she progressed at a rapid rate. On the ground she was less shy around people, she became much more trusting and loving. I rode her through her first lead change, took her over everything from ground poles to solid log jumps. I took her to her first schooling show, and it didn't matter that we had a melt down in the flat classes, she was fabulous in the jumping though.

I loved her so much, even though I knew she was for sale. I had tried to find ways to be able to buy her, but it just wasn't possible. After a big falling out, I had to leave the barn and was never able to see the pony again. I checked the sale site to see if she ever sold, then finally she did. She went to a home somewhere on the other side of the country. The site listed the name of the girl who bought her, and later saw that she was friends on facebook with my friends from my old barn. I thought about sending her a message to ask how the pony is doing, but I'm not sure whether or not that's something I'm entitled to do. I never owned or leased the pony, but I spent so much time with her when she was just a baby, now I just want to know how she's doing.

What would you do? If I were to send a message, what would be the appropriate way of asking about the pony? I've never been in a situation where I couldn't just call someone up to find out how whatever horse I used to ride was doing, so I don't really know what the proper procedure is for getting an update on a pony I no longer have any connections to.

Apr. 23, 2009, 01:09 PM
If I was the girl that owned the pony, I would love to hear that someone cared enough about the pony to ask!

Apr. 23, 2009, 01:13 PM
It's so simple. Just ask. You can say that you use to ride the pony and are curious as to how she's doing. Don't say anything negative. Good luck.

Apr. 23, 2009, 01:15 PM
I would say ABSOLUTELY message her. I have an OTTB, and I can't imagine anything that would thrill me more than hearing from someone who used to work with him (grooms, trainers, etc.). He has quite a distinguished racing record, and I know all of that about him, but I'd love to hear every little thing about him, quirks and all.

If she's not interested, she can ignore the message, no harm done.

PLEASE keep us updated.

Apr. 23, 2009, 01:15 PM
i think it's entirely appropriate to reach out to the new owner this way, i've done it before! i once randomly came across a girl on another online message board who owned a horse that i had worked with at a lesson barn i taught at for a while, and we messaged back and forth for a little bit about the horse and how he was doing now. just be polite and explain your connection to the pony, and hopefully she'll write you back!

Hunter Mom
Apr. 23, 2009, 01:24 PM
As a kid, I owned and showed a horse who was 10 or 12 or so when I got her. We had very little knowledge of her background, other than the info on her papers (Arab). I was at a show after I'd had her for some time, and a woman walked up to me and asked if that was the cute chestnut mare with three socks. Yes, it was. Turned out she was the person who had started her and I truly enjoyed talking to her.

Contact the owner - let her know how special you thought Pony was and that you wanted to pass that along. I'd be willing to bet that she'd be happy to give Pony a treat for you even!

Apr. 23, 2009, 01:25 PM
I would definitely contact her! How neat. I bet she would love to talk to you as well, maybe you have some pics or stories about the pony that she would love! Let us know how it turns out.

Apr. 23, 2009, 01:26 PM
Absolutely! I LOVE to hear from people after they purchase my horses and tell me how they are doing, and I would really love it the other way around too. Obviously she probably really loves this pony and we ALL love to talk about our animals, both past and present!

Apr. 23, 2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks everyone! I didn't need much convincing. I sent the girl a message a few minutes ago. I explained that I had seen that the pony had been sold, and that she had bought her, on the farm's website. I also explained who I was, and that I had been the one who rode her when she was just starting under saddle. I told her what a special pony she had, and that I look forward hearing how she's been these days. I'm hoping she'll send an update back soon, and I'll be all too happy to share some photos and stories of the pony with her! I'll update you guys when she responds, I'm so looking forward to hearing how the pony has been doing. She's destined to be a top pony, her attitude puts her above so many others. The fact that she always wanted to learn new things made her a pleasure to work with!

Those were from her first show! :)

Apr. 23, 2009, 01:54 PM
Awe! So sweet, I love the pics, did you send her the links to the pics yet? I would be thrilled if someone who knew one of my horses before I bought them contacted me. I don't think it makes a bit of difference that you never owned her! It's even neater almost, that you loved the pony that much, I'm sure it will make the girl very happy to know.

Apr. 23, 2009, 01:59 PM
For sure offer to send her some pictures! I did the same thing a few times to keep up with horses or ponies that I rode, and when i got my current horse I went about it the other way, by tracking down her breeder and first owner through her papers. Everything worked out wonderfully, they sent me her baby pics and even come to our shows to watch us. It has been so great to be able to ask them questions about her health and training when I needed to.

Tini Sea Soldier
Apr. 23, 2009, 02:53 PM
Facebook her... I get dudes that friend request me that saw me from across a bar in Hoboken... you don't have to be blood relatives or homeroom buddies to be facebook friends. I'm sure you've met someone at a horse show or at the mall that was friends with friends... and now they're on your facebook also.

Just send her a friend req... write a brief message saying that you used to ride her pony and would love to see photos and keep up with the pony's progress.

As an owner, you always wonder about your horse/pony's past... so the insight into it might be really helpful or interesting to her.

Apr. 23, 2009, 03:00 PM
Glad to hear that you sent the new owner a message.
I too received a message from a previous rider to my horse. He saw my facebook photo via one of my friends and he recognized the horse immediately. We chatted quite a bit about my horses younger days. I have since gone on to sell the horse and am facebook friends with his new owner... So that is the power of facebook!

Apr. 23, 2009, 03:05 PM
As much as I am not a Facebook person, this is one type of situation where it's kind of nice. It takes away a bit of the "eek I'm talking to a stranger" aspect for something like this. I agree with the other posters, it doesn't really matter that you didn't own the pony...you were really involved with her and that's what most new owners are going to be more interested in.

Apr. 23, 2009, 03:12 PM
I, too, was able to find the new owner of my old horse on Facebook, through the profile of the girl we sold him to.

Did the same thing - just sent a quick note saying hi and that I had seen some of her picture of the horse, I used to be his "mom", trained him, yadda yadda, would love to know how he is doing.

We've kept a dialogue going, though infrequently, about how he is, their plans for him, etc. Turns out they're going to be at some of the shows that my barn goes to this summer, so I'll probably get a chance to see them in action. Also sent her some old pictures of him, which she LOVED, along with some background info on his training. Offered suggestions when they asked for them, stuff like that.

Not only was it exciting for her to hear about his "past life", it really made me feel good to know that he was in a loving home and was happy and doing well. Peace of mind, for sure.

Keep us posted!

Apr. 23, 2009, 08:50 PM
She responded to my message and also sent a friend request. I snooped through her photos and boy does that pony look amazing! I'm not sure it would be OK to link some of the photos because that might make me feel a bit like a creeper. In the message she said that the pony was doing really well and that she loved her so much. She also said that at all of the shows she's been to this year, she's gotten champion or reserve. She's got a fantastic new home, with someone who really seems to love her. She does A and AA shows now, she's a show pony, and she got the home that was perfect for her. I never could have taken her to such nice shows, so I feel like her talent would have been wasted, I'm happy she found the perfect place to show it off. I'm so happy I didn't buy her now! :) I love this reconnecting thing.

I sent her a message back, explaining how thrilled I was to hear how great she is now. I told her about some of her past and explained that I had an album with some of her older photos in it. I'm so excited to see how nice she's doing now, and I'm so glad I'll be able to continue to hear updates on her.

OK, I'm a creeper;

Apr. 23, 2009, 08:58 PM
Holy cow! That picture of her now looks awesome! I love reconnecting with old horses. I see a horse I used to ride at the big "A" and "AA" shows doing the Eq with a friend of mine. She loves him and he's taken care of so well. I love seeing him happy. It's always great to know how your projects end up. I had tons of them too. ;)

Apr. 23, 2009, 09:36 PM
That is a sweet post - you can bask in her reflected glory. You sound like a generous hearted person.

Apr. 23, 2009, 09:40 PM
If I was the girl that owned the pony, I would love to hear that someone cared enough about the pony to ask!

Agreed! Just because it was not YOUR pony doesn't mean that you didn't work with it a lot, love it, and in all senses of the word except the monetary one, own it. The pony doesn't know if you paid for it or not, all that it knows is that you love it...meaning you should feel free to contact the girl who has it now! Harrold was never mine per say, I just leased him, but I still called him mine because I love him and he's my best friend :)

I would just explain the situation as it is, I know that if I were in the new owner's shoes I would welcome the inquiries about my pony and it's "past life."
ETA: the pony looks fabulous in the picture!

Apr. 23, 2009, 10:57 PM
Wow, what an awesome story! Aren't you glad you messaged her? I love that pic, thanks for sharing. She is a beautiful pony. How neat! Maybe you can go see her compete someday. that would be really neat.

Mo's Mom
Apr. 24, 2009, 09:15 AM
I love keeping up this our ponies. Please let us know when you hear back. :D

Apr. 24, 2009, 11:04 AM
YAY! how cool! i'm so happy you heard back from the pony's new mom and that she's doing AWESOME!!

that just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside :D

Apr. 24, 2009, 11:53 AM
I am glad you reached out to the new owner! We don't have to be the owner of a horse/pony to love him. I am half-leasing a horse right now, that I am falling madly in love with more and more with every ride. Even though I don't own him, I will always care about him!