PDA

View Full Version : IHSA eligibility question

QQQ
Apr. 22, 2009, 08:05 PM
Hi, I have a quick question about IHSA eligibility for the Walk-trot-canter division. The rulebook says this:

Walk-Trot-Canter riders eligible for class 2A are those who have had more than 24 weeks of instruction and who have not competed in a mounted competition that required them to jump more than eighteen inches. Once the Beginning Walk-Trot-Canter rider has accumulated 18 points, s/he must move to Walk-Trot-Canter Hunter Seat Equitation (2B). Walk Trot Canter riders eligible for class 2B are those who have not competed in any over fences class higher than three foot (3’) in any competition, nor have those 2B riders competed in any recognized competition.

But I know people who have shown in recognized shows before that are in Walk-trot-canter 2B. Does it mean that you just can't have shown higher than 3' at a recognized or unrecognized competition? Or does it mean that you can't have competed in any recognized shows at all at any height/in any class?

Wonders12
Apr. 22, 2009, 08:14 PM
I read it as any class in a recognized competition (referring to what IHSA considers recognized) however it's mostly up to the discretion of the coach and stewards.

Is this for you, or are you looking to challenge someone else's qualifications for the class?

Rhody Ram
Apr. 22, 2009, 08:34 PM
Recognized means USEF in IHSA terms (they clarified that this year). (removed)

QQQ
Apr. 22, 2009, 08:39 PM
Recognized means A shows in IHSA terms (they clarified that this year). But no... 2B riders can definitely have competed in recognized shows before. I don't know why it's worded like that. Someone should bring that to their attention.

So if someone had competed at recognized shows even at 3' but not higher than 3' (and had not won any blue ribbons at 3') they would technically still be eligible for 2B?

joiedevie99
Apr. 22, 2009, 08:44 PM
The new way they worded it does seem much more confusing - and much less clear that it means what I think it does.

ETA: After re-reading, I was clearly wrong. Incorrect info removed.

Darden
Apr. 22, 2009, 09:19 PM
Rhody Ram - I don't know who "clarified" the rule for you but they are not correct or there was a miscommunication made.

Read the placement form----
"References to recognized competitions includes ANY (emphasis mine) event that is sanctioned by the United States Equestrian Federation (USEF)...."

Any - so a one day local member USEF show in New England counts the same as Devon.

It's right there in the placement form. Black and white.

If you know of anyone who has shown USEF and they are in 2B, they are illegal unless they were granted a waiver. And not many people are granted that waiver....

Edited to add- This is how so many people are sent down after qualifying for Nationals. The Placement form and the Rule Book are very clear. But some people seem to want to "interpret". Good luck and I hope no one is sent down because of someone trying to "intepret." Yeah- I get on my soapbox when I hear of people being sent down becuase of not being clear on the rules. It's sad. It shouldn't happen. And it does.

Also - you all are not correct in your posts above. If a rider shows at 3'1" or higher in ANY competition - Unrecognized or Recognized - they are novice.

Rhody Ram
Apr. 22, 2009, 09:32 PM
I meant USEF rated, not A shows. This year they clarified that rated means it must be a USEF rated show, not just recognized by local organizations

Sheila
Apr. 22, 2009, 09:36 PM
Page 53 in IHSA online rule book

RULE VIII

Format Description and Definitions of Hunter Seat Classes

8100 Eligibility for Classes

8101 Definitions

A. Recognized competitions

A recognized competition is ANY sanctioned by the United States Equestrian Federation (USEF); American Grand Prix Association (AGA); American Quarter Horse Association (AQHA); National Reining Horse Association (NRHA); United States Eventing Association (USEA); and United States Combined Training Association (USCTA). 4-H state and regional competitions will be recognized for Western Horsemanship only.

From page 54

8102 Specifications for Placement of New Hunter Seat Riders

A. Hunter Seat Riders

1. Walk-Trot riders are those who have had no more than 24 weeks of instruction and who have not competed in a mounted competition which required them to canter or lope. Walk-Trot riders have two years of eligibility starting with their initial completion of the online individual membership form.

2. Walk-Trot-Canter riders eligible for class 2A are those who have had more than 24 weeks of instruction and who have not competed in a mounted competition that required them to jump more than eighteen inches. Once the Beginning Walk-Trot-Canter rider has accumulated 18 points, s/he must move to Walk-Trot-Canter Hunter Seat Equitation (2B). Walk Trot Canter riders eligible for class 2B are those who have not competed in any over fences class higher than three foot (3’) in any competition, nor have those 2B riders competed in ANY recognized competition.

3. Novice riders on the flat are those who have won no more than five Hunter Seat equitation classes on the flat in recognized competitions. Novice riders over fences have won no more than six classes in any over fences class three feet (3’) or higher in recognized competitions. To be eligible for Class 4, Novice Equitation over Fences, riders must have had at least six months continuous professional instruction over fences within the past year.

4. Intermediate riders on the flat are those who have won six to ten Hunter Seat equitation classes on the flat in recognized competitions. Intermediate riders over fences have won no more than six classes in any over fences class three feet, six inches (3’6”) or higher in recognized competitions.

5. Open riders on the flat are those who have won more than ten Hunter Seat equitation classes on the flat in recognized competitions. Open riders over fences are those who have won more than six classes in any over fences class three feet, six inches (3’6”) or higher in recognized competitions.

Edited-
A rider who is showing in 2B Advanced WTC cannot have shown in any recognized competitions.

gusbabe
Apr. 22, 2009, 10:18 PM
Hoping someone can answer this question for me!
If a rider has competed in jumpers over 3' at a recognized show and won 5 classes that makes them eligible for intermediate for fences. But if they have never shown in a hunter class at a recognized show, where would they place for equitation?

Thanks!

QQQ
Apr. 22, 2009, 10:23 PM
Hoping someone can answer this question for me!
If a rider has competed in jumpers over 3' at a recognized show and won 5 classes that makes them eligible for intermediate for fences. But if they have never shown in a hunter class at a recognized show, where would they place for equitation?

Thanks!

By equitation do you mean the equitation flat class? Both over fences and flat are equitation. If they've never ridden in an equitation flat class, then I think they'd be in novice flat.

kateh
Apr. 23, 2009, 12:21 AM
Also keep in mind steward-checking. It's possible that someone showed as a kid, took a few years off and got rusty. If they show that they're not up to ___ level, stewards are allowed to push them down a class.

Sheila
Apr. 23, 2009, 06:58 AM
Kateh- There is provisions for "evaluation rides" but from what I remember- its not supposed to be for the "rusty rider" - they are suposed to stay home and practice to ride up to their level. Maybe someone who was pushed thru showing at home and looks unsafe on a higher level horse or someone who has had the 2 years of lessons but is unsafe to canter....still, evaluation rides are few and far between .