PDA

View Full Version : Critique pleasee

Aerial
Apr. 22, 2009, 06:42 PM
Sorry for yet another critique, but i need it haha. This is my second show this year, first one was my first "real" show, because before i had only done a couple of flat classes. I've been riding english for...9 months or so??? So please, tear me apart. =) Point out anything and everything, except for the horse. I don't own him, and he's a good boy lol.

http://www.photostockplus.com/home.php?user_id=11982&tmpl=31&event=261757&action=viewphoto&photo_id=16624553&album_id=274868&pcount=45

http://www.photostockplus.com/home.php?user_id=11982&tmpl=31&event=261757&action=viewphoto&album_id=274868&rank=38&pcount=45
In this one i feel like i wasn't releasing enough, because i lost my base a bit.

http://www.photostockplus.com/home.php?user_id=11982&tmpl=31&event=261757&action=viewphoto&album_id=274868&rank=40&pcount=45
Jumping ahead?? I was definitely having problems with that that day, i got ditched off a pony twice because of it haha. poor thing just couldn't handle my weight AND being forward and so she stopped.

http://www.photostockplus.com/home.php?user_id=11982&tmpl=31&event=261757&action=viewphoto&album_id=274868&rank=41&pcount=45
eek! forward much??

http://www.photostockplus.com/home.php?user_id=11982&tmpl=31&event=261757&action=viewphoto&album_id=274868&rank=42&pcount=45

http://www.photostockplus.com/home.php?user_id=11982&tmpl=31&event=261757&action=viewphoto&album_id=274884&rank=16&pcount=45

http://www.photostockplus.com/home.php?user_id=11982&tmpl=31&event=261757&action=viewphoto&album_id=274886&rank=11&pcount=45
It looks almost like i'm attempting an automatic release, but that was supposed to be a crest release.

http://www.photostockplus.com/home.php?user_id=11982&tmpl=31&event=261757&action=viewphoto&album_id=274886&rank=27&pcount=45
Think this was one of the 3' courses. The highest i've schooled is 3'9 i think, but 3' is the highest i've showed. Which isn't bad i guess..i've been riding english less than a year..more like 9 months

http://www.photostockplus.com/home.php?user_id=11982&tmpl=31&event=261757&action=viewphoto&album_id=274890&rank=3&pcount=45
I was the brave cookie and went in the medallion first haha. flirt.gif

Please point out everything. =) thanks!!!

ETA: Links are fixed i think

meehankk
Apr. 22, 2009, 06:48 PM
none of the links work!

atleast for me they dont! sorry

Gray Horse H/J
Apr. 22, 2009, 06:53 PM
They don't work for me either.

Aerial
Apr. 22, 2009, 07:02 PM
links should be fixed. Thanks guys =)

joiedevie99
Apr. 22, 2009, 07:11 PM
Overall you look really good. Over fences, your hips are a bit forward (over the pomel) instead of over or just behind the center of the saddle. The last picture is a good example of closing your hip angle properly and sliding your butt back.

In both over fences and the flat shot, your reins are too long to be effective.

Also, on the flat, work on bringing your shoulders back, opening your chest, and keeping your hands forward. Even when you are riding out of the saddle on corners, you still want to be tall- not leaning forward.

Aerial
Apr. 22, 2009, 09:58 PM
I think i tend to not close my hip angle over the lower fences and then 3' and above i tend to do it properly.

Are you saying i'm not releasing enough or do you think i just don't have enough control with that rein?? I have bigger problems with my shoulders being forward if i tighten my rein, and the horse gets fussy because i also tend to get a vice grip on him if i tighten.
Thanks!!

Individualblue07
Apr. 22, 2009, 11:11 PM
You've only been riding for 9(ish... lol) months.... and are already doing 3' courses!

BRAVO! Your position is nice, but will only get better the longer you ride so just keep it up. Most people take years in order to even get above 2' so good for you. :)

I agree tho... just open yourself up a bit more, and you'll be fine

HARROLDhasmyheart
Apr. 22, 2009, 11:52 PM
You've only been riding English for about 9 months, and your trainer let's you school 3'9"? Oy.

saitou_amaya
Apr. 23, 2009, 01:38 AM
No critique, but hey!!! we were at the same show!! lol small world! :D
let me know what other saint louis area shows you will be at so I can say hi! I'm assuming you live in st. louis because that was a small schooling show so yeah...
I LOVE your coat btw! color looks fantastic with your horse. Oh, and I think your position looks BEST at the last pic with the 3' medallion class. explain that to me! :lol:

Bearhunter
Apr. 23, 2009, 08:01 AM
You've only been riding English for about 9 months, and your trainer let's you school 3'9"? Oy.

:yes:

Aerial
Apr. 23, 2009, 08:56 AM
lol try not to say anything about the trainer or the horse. Horse is trainer's. :)

Ya she let me school that once or twice. That's not usually what we school but i have schooled that. I think what I've normally been schooling is... eh, 3'2" or something?? i don't know lol.
lol saitou- i actually don't live in st louis, i'm in the springfield area, but they don't have much in the way of shows down here, so we have been going to the ones at NEC. Right now i'm not sure which ones i'll be going to but i'll let you know. =)

um so is that bad that i've school 3'9?? I'm getting negative and positive vibes from that lol.

Thanks guys!!!

Aerial
Apr. 23, 2009, 09:00 AM
oh and saitou- thanks for the coat compliment!! It's actually my trainer's haha. Previously i had just shown in polo shirts, but she brought out a huge rack of coats and told me to try them on =)

theroanypony
Apr. 23, 2009, 09:37 AM
um so is that bad that i've school 3'9?? I'm getting negative and positive vibes from that lol.
I think what some people may be thinking is that you've only been riding English for nine months, so it seems like you've skipped over a lot of the basics and just went right for the high fences. Just the way I see it, but I spent the first year I learned to jump only trotting fences. Not my idea of fun, but it sure did make me feel solid.

charlo
Apr. 23, 2009, 09:47 AM
I just wanted to add, that to make a nicer looking picture you should braid your horse's mane. You guys make a nice picture but the flying mane takes a lot away from it.

I always braid even for schooling shows. Makes you and the horse look great, and shows respect to the judge as well I find.

With in the 1 st year of my serious lessons, I was schooling 3'9, and jumped up to 4'3-4'6. But I also rode many horses everyday, and had at the min of 3 lessons a week. And basics were drilled into me, my coach was very big on dressage and even bigger on basics. Without working on those there was no jumps allowed.

pines4equines
Apr. 23, 2009, 09:50 AM
Does it look like she's catching the horse in the mouth just a wee bit? Just asking.

Jsalem
Apr. 23, 2009, 09:54 AM
Your turnout is really nice except for your hair. Have someone show you how to use a hairnet so you can get all your hair under your helmet.

theroanypony
Apr. 23, 2009, 09:59 AM
Your turnout is really nice except for your hair. Have someone show you how to use a hairnet so you can get all your hair under your helmet.

Ditto, and if you can't find someone to show you, just do a search on here for "hunter hair". Plenty of people have given instructions for how to do nice hair.

Aerial
Apr. 23, 2009, 10:03 AM
I have a huge amount of hair..long and thick, it won't fit under my helmet. :cry:

Keep them coming guys!! I don't know whether I was catching him in the mouth or not, but i'll be extra careful . Oh ya and in the summer I ride about 15x a week, and right now 1x lesson a week.

findeight
Apr. 23, 2009, 10:04 AM
Not bad at all...you already know you get ahead-and the consequences when you become a lawn dart. Remember I never comment on most of these, only the ones that are promising.

Overall...don't even think about auto release, you need to think about protecting your horse's mouth. I don't see any solid releases here, by that I mean your body anchored in the heels and leg, seat and hands working independently. You are not anchored in your heel and not independent in leg, seat and hand yet so you are releasing, or trying to, by standing in the irons and pushing your whole body forward. That's why you came off twice, it is a very weak position. Very common too.

I think you are rushing here and need to go back to the basics. Get that heel down, don't stand and push your body forward off your toes. Until you master that, you need to do a PROPER crest release to stabilize your upper body and protect the horse.

The classic cure is low grids with no stirrups advancing to no stirrups and no hands. Lunging over little fences with no stirrups and no hands. Two Point at the trot with NO STIRRUPS-that one is a killer. Lots and lots of time in two point WITH stirrups, mostly at the trot-that's pretty unpleasant as well.

But you have to get this done on the flat and over low fences before you start jumping 3' and up. For one thing, you are going to get hurt. For another, these are nice horses and you risk getting them stopping, it scares them when you come off all the time. Does them no good at all.

You'll get there, just lay a better foundation.

Ready2Ride
Apr. 23, 2009, 10:48 AM
I think you're doing great!

Aerial
Apr. 23, 2009, 04:00 PM
Not bad at all...you already know you get ahead-and the consequences when you become a lawn dart. Remember I never comment on most of these, only the ones that are promising.

Overall...don't even think about auto release, you need to think about protecting your horse's mouth. I don't see any solid releases here, by that I mean your body anchored in the heels and leg, seat and hands working independently. You are not anchored in your heel and not independent in leg, seat and hand yet so you are releasing, or trying to, by standing in the irons and pushing your whole body forward. That's why you came off twice, it is a very weak position. Very common too.

I think you are rushing here and need to go back to the basics. Get that heel down, don't stand and push your body forward off your toes. Until you master that, you need to do a PROPER crest release to stabilize your upper body and protect the horse.

The classic cure is low grids with no stirrups advancing to no stirrups and no hands. Lunging over little fences with no stirrups and no hands. Two Point at the trot with NO STIRRUPS-that one is a killer. Lots and lots of time in two point WITH stirrups, mostly at the trot-that's pretty unpleasant as well.

But you have to get this done on the flat and over low fences before you start jumping 3' and up. For one thing, you are going to get hurt. For another, these are nice horses and you risk getting them stopping, it scares them when you come off all the time. Does them no good at all.

You'll get there, just lay a better foundation.

Sorry, if i wasn't clear, i wasn't trying the auto release, but i thought it looked like I was in the pictures, so i was clarifying. I'm still most definitely doing the crest release haha, though obviously not very well.
And also, i don't come off all the time, i just happened to get dumped twice in one morning after a year and a half of never being dumped.
Thank you! I will try those excersizes!!!! :)

Aerial
Apr. 23, 2009, 10:48 PM
bump?? I really appreciate the excersises you guys have given me so far!!!

lonewolf
Apr. 23, 2009, 11:00 PM
You are really doing very well.

Your leg looks nice, with your heel firmly down. Your eye is up, your back is flat (if not a little too arched at times).

As you and others have mentioned, you tend to jump ahead a little, and your crotch gets too close to the pommel. Think that you never want to have your hip ahead of your heel. Keep that butt back in the saddle and don't fold quite so much with your upper body.

Sometimes I think you are jumping ahead and ducking *instead* of releasing. You aren't really catching the horse in the mouth, but that is because your reins are quite long. Try jumping a few small gymnastics. Think about your release, and how it should come from moving just your arms up the neck, not from throwing your shoulders. Keep your elbows loose. If you are really brave, a couple of small gymnastics with no reins; it might help you get the feeling of staying centered.

For only nine months of english riding, you are doing exceptionally well. I am guessing that you have a good trainer and his/her program is working well for you.

Congratulations and good luck!

KateKat
Apr. 24, 2009, 12:57 AM
I think you look good too :)

Have you been riding for only 9 months, or just riding english for 9 months?

Aerial
Apr. 24, 2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks lone! Now that you describe my release like that, I think that's exactly what I'm doing. I've done some gymnastics (and now i can see why it was so difficult if I was throwing my shoulders instead of releaseing) but i will for sure do some more with the right idea lol! Thanks so much!

I've been riding ENGLISH for 9 months, I rode western before that, but I didn't ride well. Not well at all haha. I was super insecure and slopped around alot.

europa
Apr. 24, 2009, 09:54 AM
The only thing I see is that you get alittle tipped over and loose in the base. Try 2 point and release your knee. Focus on not rotating. The one cantering pick you are soo far forward it looks like you are in a jump off and galloping to the wire. Sit up. The photos are very nice though.

findeight
Apr. 24, 2009, 09:56 AM
I came from Western too...the biggest difference is you pretty much are unified body wise in Western while you need to break your body into 3 parts for Jumping-seat, leg and hand. Your heels are alot deeper too in English.

I can't tell here but I am betting, if you came from Western, you like a little longer stirrup and that can result in not carrying enough weight in the heel and having to throw your whole body over the fence to keep up. I did that for years.

Probably the hardest thing was understanding the hip angle. The fact it closes when you jump but your lower leg stays where it is (if you are strong enough) and your seat is only slightly out of the tack. For example, in a real good two point, the leg is where it is on the flat, the shoulder just a little forward but always behind the knee as the hip closes and the butt is only a few inches off the seat and behind the pommel.

Does that make sense?

Aerial
Apr. 24, 2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks guys! Ya that makes sense ^^ thanks =) I'm riding 5 of 6 horses tomorrow and jumping a couple, so i'll keep everything in mind.

pinkhorse
Apr. 24, 2009, 04:40 PM
I agree with overall really nice position. I just get a sense of tightness through your body in most of the pictures. A little grippy through the knee in some keeping you from really sinking your weight throughout your leg which will help you to use balance more than strength.

tradewind
Apr. 24, 2009, 04:46 PM
In some of the pics, I get the impression that you are pinching with your knees, this will cause you to get ahead on the jumps. Maybe it was the angle, but try to relax with your knees, it will help you keep your heel down and your lower leg where it needs to be, allowing you to break at the hips properly. Overall, I think you are looking good for the time you have been riding English.

Aerial
Apr. 25, 2009, 08:46 AM
Ok so o/f

butt back
don't grip with knee
big crest release instead of throwing shoulders

On the flat
Open up
relax knee sink wieght to heels
SHOULDERS BACK haha

Ok what am I missing??

findeight
Apr. 25, 2009, 09:31 AM
Hip angle...try just sitting there and closing your hip by bending forward from the waist ONLY. Heel stays put, no pinching. It's a shocker, let me tell you. Hard to hold at first. Start at the walk and just do it-and do not pinch with the knee turn the toes out a liitle to take your knee off the saddle. Then do it at the trot, then full seat canter, then in two point...but initiate the two point by just closing the hip angle more, change NOTHING else. That will lift your seat and the horses motion over the fence will further close it-you do NOTHING except close the hip angle by bending a little forward at the waist.

Shorten your stirrups at least a hole too, that will feel goofy at first but will help.

Just keep telling yourself "Move nothing except a little bend at the waist". If you feel tippy, you do not have enough weight in the heel.

Aerial
Apr. 26, 2009, 03:19 PM
Ah ok. =) Really I should shorten my stirrups??? My knee goes over the flap when I shorten them much more than they are, does the saddle just not fit me and my long leg???